Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Ever since I got to college I rarely finish games, but Abyss is one of the few exceptions I've made - once I made it past the maybe five hour barrier I was hooked. It really is an incredible game, and has a lot of the highlights of Tales Of games in general - namely characters that you can actually care about.

I have trouble playing NON Tales games, now, because the characters aren't talking to each other enough. Some games have things like that - campfires in Breath of Fire 3, emotion events in Star Ocean 2 - but in most Final Fantasy games, the lack of dialog makes the characters seem empty (...which they are, but that isn't my point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Cless Alvein posted:

The biggest problem I had with the GBA port is the fact that the translation was so terrible. Cless Alvein somehow became Cress Albane. Don't really care if that is what it was supposed to translate to because Cress is retarded name. Beyond that they some how translated ,"Ragnarok" to "Kangaroo". How they did this, I have no goddamn idea. They cut out the opening song for some reason and the voice acting is pretty terrible and voice acting normally never bothers me. I've played through the SNES and GBA versions and currently playing through the PSX version when I have the time. I think I like the SNES one the best just for the DeJap translation. DeJap seems to have gotten it right in the fact that they had to change the script occasionally so that it made sense to the people who were now going to be reading it. Besides, I bet Arche really does gently caress like a tiget!

:psyduck:

I hope that answers your question.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ha aha ha!

I just checked my version of Word (2007), it reports "ragnarok" as being misspelled, but doesn't offer any spelling suggestions.

Maybe in the four years since Word 2003 they learned that Kangaroo is not an acceptable substitute for a mythological war.

...not that the war itself is in the word-bank.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

I liked Symphonia, but had the same complaints (re: story) that everyone else does. Are the other games in the series mostly similar? If I want to play another game in the series, would it be best to go with Phantasia, Destiny, Abyss, or another one?
I say Abyss, though it's certainly longer/more complex than the others. Phantasia and Destiny are missing the character skits that are the best part of the series these days. Though Destiny is a lot of fun and looks great.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

New "Tales of Hearts" CG vs Anime pics up.

http://kotaku.com/5050395/anime-cutscenes-vs-cg-cutsences-+-fight

The first picture of big-hat-girl, in CG, makes her look more like Kefka than a little girl. Hmm.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

So, I'm at the part in Vesperia where they reveal where the title is from - the brightest star in the sky, in their world.

Are any of the other titles explained in their games? I always thought Abyss should have been called Symphonia, due to the music theme and lack of Abyss-ness for most of the game. Is Phantasia just a play on Fantasy?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

BurningCourage posted:

That Jade motherfucker gets everywhere.

Click here for the full 1242x1842 image.

He's in Tales of Hearts too, along with Judas and Lloyd.

Click here for the full 1039x1522 image.

Does that say TOH2? Or is it referring to TOH 2D vs TOH CG?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Heath posted:

So I just finished the scene where (Tales of the Abyss spoilers)Luke cuts his hair and has his big reformation scene. A few questions:

- When can I expect to fight Sword Dancer again? I know I already asked in this thread but I want to make absolutely sure I don't miss him.

- Is Asch going to be in my party again? If so, if I use a Lavender or any other stat-raising item on Asch, will it carry over to Luke?

- What the hell do Capacity Cores actually do? Do they add bonuses or just change your growth?

- Any other sidequests/optional bosses I should watch out for?

You should probably try to follow http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/929343/40529 Kouli's guide. There's a TON you can miss in this game, especially in regards to side-quests. Just follow the numbers in that guide (Sub Event #x, Sub Event #x+1, and make sure to get them all) and you should be fine.

The extra boss's second appearance is farther on, near the part with the snowy town. I think that's a while later.

Capacity Cores are NECESSARY to get a lot of the skills, as those are based on stat growth. They add bonuses, not change your growth.

I don't know for sure if those lavender's pass over, but I think they do.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Chunky12345 posted:

I liked Symphonia so I'm going to try to enjoy Dawn of the New World as best I can come tomorrow.

I'm hoping that, when it comes out, they'll finally finish talesrpg.com and let the people who bought the limited edition get their gift.

edit: Jokes on me, they did finish it! Still no gift though. :smith:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Vesperia is $34 on Amazon right now, for another hour or so.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I always though Tales of Destiny was always the best simply from the storyline.
Hell, you could make an awesome prequel with the war and you play as the people who would become swordians and the end of the game is your guys getting turned into swordians and whooping rear end.

Anyway, I stopped playing Tales of symphonia because the game disgusted me with the loving children bullshit. God, it was the essence of saccharine. Cutesy Naive little children making me want to puke. Yeah, Destiny had Stahn and he was like that a bit but good lord, not to that extent.

and in conclusion Tales of Destiny is the best Tales of game simply because of the Swordians. Also the loving world condom was pretty neat too.

Haha... you just described the plot of the Japan-only Tales of Destiny 2 (not the same as Tales of Eternia). Rutee and Stahn's daughter goes into the past, meets Dymlos and the other Swordians, etc.

Here, have a story guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/561922/29078

Skychrono fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 25, 2008

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

yeah they mostly sound decent except Lloyd. Also spoilers on Kratos being in the game (I figured he would be)

I haven't played the game yet, but according to the Nintendo Power preview it says that Kratos voices the narrator. Maybe he's in the game proper too, no idea.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

I'm playing Vesperia and I'm really enjoying it now (but these Secret Missions are gonna drive me insane probably). I've seen Tales of Abyss sitting in my GameStop's used section. Is it that much similar to Vesperia that I would like it?

Yes. Although some posters disagree, I feel that they're pretty much equal in terms of complexity and storylines, and I'd go so far as to say that, once Abyss gets going (seven hours in) it has one of the best jRPG storylines around.

Then again, I'm only fifteen hours into Vesperia, in the desert looking for a talking dragon thing, so maybe the plot epics up a bit.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Hey, at least his characters looked different. All of Keisuke Fujishima's characters look pretty much exactly the same.

As a huge fan of his, I can tell you that you're absolutely right.

Click here for the full 1000x1441 image.

Hey Guy, Anise. What's up?

Regardless, even if his character designs are all similar, his clothing differs pretty greatly from game to game, and always in logical (to the characters' respective locales) way.

And, this may be hypocritical, but the art in ToL looked EXACTLY like Samurai Champloo - especially the guy with the hammer and glasses.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Uh, why isn't either version of the Tales of Destiny PS2 remake on that list? I bet they sold more than all of those combined.

I guess they consider PS2 last gen. But did it really do that well? Was ToD that loved over there? I always thought the Phantasia line (and those with the same artist) were the favorites.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Sheena has terrible stats in ToS but she also is the only one who can summon, and the summons in that game are pretty loving awesome. At least Colette isn't on there, because seriously.

I do like that Celsius is on there, but of course they'd put the only blatantly female summon spirit on the list. Also Ratatosk Emil is kind of funny in that he's a complete dick to everyone including Marta. Marta is way more annoying than he is.

EDIT: What the gently caress no one liked Collette she had the worst stats of anyone in that game and was annoying and stupid and worthless, this is a lovely list.

Also who is Suzu Fujibayashi I played a fan translation of Tales of Phantasia and don't remember anyone by that name.

Little ninja girl?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Well, yeah, but I'm really looking forward to the ToD2 translation - you know, the console Tales that hasn't come out in the US? Still cool, though. They do a ton of work on this.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

BurningCourage posted:

The ToD: PS2 translation is moving along. They plan on releasing a menu patch first, then starting on the rest of the game, like with ToD2. Fun fact: The menus in ToD PS2 alone have about 500kb of text. That is 5/6th of Tales of Phantasia's entire main dialogue script and twice as much as in ToD2's menus.

Screenshots and progress report here.

Mary has a horn in that picture of the status screen. Is that new...?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'm only halfway through Vesperia, but Abyss is still my favorites. Something between the character designs (different clothing per region like in Phantasia, nice hair, other small bits) and the huge amounts of character development make it a really great game to go through.

That said, Vesperia makes great advances on the battle system (namely Judith) and I'm sure more things are coming later. I just got the flying mount, so maybe there's a ton more...

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Eddain posted:

So I got my Tales of Eternia PSP game today and it is simply amazing. I'm about 9 hours in so far and I just can't seem to put it down. I think it might even beat Tales of Phantasia as my favorite 2D Tales game.

Now here's hoping Tales of Destiny I/II and the Phantasia PSP games get an English localization/port.

Any obvious upgrades with ToE PSP versus ToD2 for PS1?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Tales of Vesperia for PS3 announced with another playable character, as well as a bunch of other Tales games.

http://www.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12777

quote:

Tales of Graces will be the next Tales game to land on Wii. Planned to release later this year, Tales of Graces is the first main Tales title to land on Wii. While details are scarce at the moment, we do know that the plot will entail a theme of protecting people. The main character vows to never lose someone important again.

Tales of VS will be landing on the PSP and will be the direct rival of Dissidia: Final Fantasy. Fundamentally sharing the same basic overview, Tales of VS will have 4-player fighting mode. Thus far, only Yuri (Tales of Vesperia), Luke (Tales of the Abyss), Shing (ToH) and Richter (ToSKoR) have been revealed. I'm sure Lloyd will make an appearance as well.

Finally, we have Tales of Vesperia for PS3. The PS3 version will come with a new character named Patty Fleur. Other than that, we have little to no details about any other changes Tales of Vesperia will get before it releases later this year.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Uh...what's the April fool's readout on this announcement?

Not sure. The article itself says it's NOT a joke, and blond pirate girl LOOKS real enough... but pirates are Fatismu's favorite thing...

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

This stuff better be DLC for the 360 version.

Pretty unlikely. Things like extra voice acting, especially large amounts of it for scenes with Pirate Loli, add up in space. They could do things like the costumes easily enough, but I don't think they'd do a half-update any time soon.

That said, we'd buy it for $20. Would that be worth their time more than someone buying it a second time on PS3? I wonder.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Shame I don't have a PSP. I'd love to smack down Richter, bad Kratos imitator, with the real thing.

Luckily you can find them for $100 on eBay from time to time. I'm not sure, but I think there might be enough out there to justify the price, Tales games and FFT included.

edit: No characters from Phantasia yet? Weird.

Skychrono fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 8, 2009

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

By the way, how do y'all usually bind your special attacks? I have settled on the following scheme:

stick neutral: combo starters
stick left/right: blowback/knockdown attacks or otherwise combo finishers
stick up: launchers/jumping attacks
stick down: diving/arcing attacks

I did that for Luke, but for Yuri and other Vesperia characters I did it based on the Link Direction... or whatever it's called, the stat that determines when you can do a Fatal Blow.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Eddain posted:

Would any of you EU fans buy the PS3 Vesperia if it had a NA release? I think the additions would definitely make it worth it.

I love Tales games more than any other, but I can't imagine that Vesperia's PS3 release would fix the weird pacing issues it has later on - the fetch-quest styled approach, that is, that starts a bit later on. It's a pretty big turn off, and I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as I was Abyss at this point. I'll beat it... eventually...

I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

BurningCourage posted:

Not only that, things like backstepping, normal attacks and the magic guard also took up your CC meter, but could also be used in combos. I think there was also a move that caused your character to home in on the enemy, regardless of their location. Not like Semi-Auto mode, you still retained full control with the move, but it could be used in aerial combos, such as if you knock an enemy into the air and wanted to get straight to them. The system had a huge amount of potential, and there are videos of people busting out huge combos and hitting enemies with infinite combos all over the place. ToD PS2 is also one of the only Tales game to let you use the final boss's Mystic Artes against him :hellyeah:. It also let you have an entire party consist of one member 4 times over, in case you really like Kongman/Mighty Bruiser or something.

Here's a combo video with what is probably lovely jpop demonstrating what was possible with the CC system.

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Tales of Graces you say? I tend to like the Kouske Fujishima-something characters more, but this makes it worth looking into.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Cydonia posted:

Have we ever gotten one of the remakes before?

Only Eternal Sonata for PS3. Tales, no.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Does anyone have a summary/FAQ about the changes to the storyline made int he PS3 Vesperia? I hope the smoothed out a lot of the... difficulties.

(Sorry for stealing your term Sanders, it fits pretty well here)

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

One thing I don't like about Vesperia is how skits are being used just to advance and talk about the plot. Back in the day, that was just handled with cutscenes, and the skits were just for funny character silliness. I liked that a lot better because the stories in Tales games really aren't that interesting to me.

I'm almost at the endgame and only now have the skits shifted to being just silliness.

I hope it changed in the PS3 version, because the 360 version had... almost zero skits in the final dungeon. I can only remember one, to talk about a boss.

Symphonia had great fun skits, like the zero-G screwing around near the end.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

http://kotaku.com/5477866/tales-of-graces-recalled

This was a bit ago, but it's still interesting. If nothing else it means we'll get a less buggy game in the game. It's coming out in Europe, so... we are getting it, right...?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Holy poo poo it really works! The patriot avatar works!

Haha, yeah... I saw that avatar, and the story just found itself.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Games like Phantasia, Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia are all great games, but I think you're pretty damned if you play any of them out of order. Each game spoils you if you play the previously released ones.

A remake of Abyss with Vesperia's gameplay/graphics/loading times would probably be my ideal Tales game.

Seconded. Abyss had the best characters (specifically their growth) and plot, of all of them.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

HampHamp posted:

Currently playing through Vesperia with a mate (I get to control the pipe smoking dog fortunately), lot of fun so far. The magic lens thing doesn't bother me, but the conditions for some of the sidequests ((early sidequest spoiler) such as the white haired guy who you have to visit in places you would NEVER return to during the normal course of the game) are retarded. We're actually using a guide for all sidequests, as we don't really have time to play through a 60-80 hour (presumably) game twice.

I did the same... I don't entirely regret it, but I would skip some of the sidequests.

In previous Tales, I did EVERYTHING because there was nice payback, such as the sauna and fun conversation at Namco Island. In Vesperia, there's far less fun party talk during these optional places, and the optional dungeon isn't story-relevant or really fun.

IMO, that is.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Any opinions on Innocence yet?

HondaCivet posted:

Re: Tales of the Abyss

HOW in the gently caress is Ion male? HOW. I know it's anime but fffffffffff

Do the game titles mean anything? I'm not very far but there has not yet been any mention of an Abyss.

I also don't know if I could give up Free Run, it's much more fun to run around behind enemies when they are distracted then it is to sit there and block all the time.

Ion is male. It surprised me, but it's plot-relevant, and makes sense considering he's eight or something. So that's okay.

Titles don't do anything but change costumes. You don't get any costumes for a bit, but always try changing to a new title just in case it is a costume title.

Free Run is awesome.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

BurningCourage posted:

The Tales of Graces translation team have a site now, and in a sad indication of how much Namco gave a poo poo about Graces, they managed to get the url of https://www.talesofgraces.com

That is honestly pathetic.

When is TGS anyway? I guess someone could still hold out hope that it'll show up there....

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You really want Graces? Really?

Wasn't it supposed to be pretty good beside the bugs?

efb

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

ALL YOUR BASE posted:

Oh well Things could be worse... Ignition could be localizing Tales games instead.

Have you all played Arc Rise Fantasia yet ? :razz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ScltdX8dFA&feature=related

At least we'd get them!

(Late as hell, though, if I remember correctly about Arc Rise)

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This is what I did but I switched out Judith for Repede/Raven sometimes (gently caress Karol)

I never beat Phantasia, I got to Dhaos' castle but the boss you fight as you walk in the door killed me. I wasn't too crazy about the game either. It was kinda dumb that you got Chester back like 3/4 of the way through the game for no reason and he sucked.

EDIT: lmao this cutscene in Abyss

Tear: "Luke you really need to cut out this attitude"
Luke: I DON'T HAVE ANY ATTITUDE!

I love Abyss for the moments like that.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Pierson posted:

Man those screenshots are making me want to play Abyss again. I even have my copy right next to me but my ancient PS2 likes to eat discs. How well does it work on PSCX2?

It's also coming out on 3DS, btw. I'm sure it'll have extra content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Policenaut posted:

"Yuri? Who's Yuri?"

Is that the guy who drew for ToD, or Fujishima (ToV) trying to copy his style?

e: Ignore me, I read the article.