Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I hope they improve that in the PS3 version, that entire sequence of events was just kind of a debacle in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Mieu was pretty spectacular if you ask me. Maybe his English version or the skits give him a bad rap, but I had the joy of enjoying him in his native tongue and he was perfectly swell.

Click here for the full 1285x983 image.

But don't worry, Luke is there with you guys if you do end up hating Mieu.

Click here for the full 1287x983 image.

Click here for the full 1294x985 image.

Click here for the full 1286x985 image.

Also Luke was great in both forms if you ask me. His change was probably a little TOO drastic but I had a good time with both sides. Ambassador Luke!

Click here for the full 1289x984 image.

I wish Luke had a costume that came earlier, cause gawd that midriff~!

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 16, 2010

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Works fine, beware if you use the upscaling feature (and if you are using PCSX2, you most definitely are) then you will get a bit of an "after-image" in brighter areas. You can see it in my screenshots (enlarge the first one with Mieu and it'll be very noticeable). It's really not a big deal and you get used to it. It's definitely worth dealing with the after-images for the vastly better appearance on everything else.

Admittedly I played it about 6 months ago so maybe they fixed that little quirk with upscaling. It's not like it was unique to Abyss after all.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Better keep praying the 3DS isn't in fact region locked.

vvv it's been an unknown/probably for a number of months now unless something really recent happened.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 17, 2010

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Looks fake.

After reading it further, definitely fake.

Some of you must have some really deep-seated hatred for Namco at this point to believe in these types of stories =/

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 30, 2010

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's a massive dearth of an hour sink in the mid-game, where you are literally running all over the place revisiting places for the plot. It's easily the low point of the game and probably where the majority of your hours went.

I just checked mine and it's only at 56 hours. 90 sounds pretty obscenely high!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sourdough Sam posted:

I was almost done watching the Tipping 40s LP of Symphonia, but unfortunately the thread got closed and archived. I must say that game has the most convoluted plot I have ever seen. I know this is the appreciation thread but the game had some of the worst story telling I've seen from a jrpg, every character just explains the plot and finds some way to throw in the word mana and tree. Are the other games this dry with storytelling? I must know!
It really depends on the characters. To me, the majority of the Team Symphonia-Tales games have the same basic plot type: the worlds are unique but there's like two or three fundamentals that kind of make a core part of the plot. For example the mana/tree facets of Symphonia are analogous to blastia in Vesperia, or fotons in Abyss, etc. Team Symphonia plots tend to follow this generic pattern. Couldn't really tell you as far as Team Destiny plots go, as I've only played ToD1 (which probably had the best of them, because Swordians rule).

Symphonia definitely takes it to a bit of an extreme. Abyss is kind of saved in this vein by the fact Jade is usually the dude who explains most of the worldly stuff, and Jade kicks so much rear end (Koyasu as the Seiyu that is) that it's no problem at all. Also fotons and such are so analogous to like, basic physics that it kind of makes sense on its own without listening constantly to the technobabble (although the underground lifestream or whatever the hell it was could get :psyduck: at times).

Vesperia's plot on the other hand, is pretty hacked together at times - not nearly as bad as Symphonia but it sometimes teeters in that direction. The characters (Yuri and Raven mostly) save it to a certain extent. It really falls flat on the villian side though.

Having recently played Arc Rise Fantasia, you could definitely see a lot of Symphonia-esque influences in that game with the Dragon races and other facets.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Phantasia has been redone so many times now, I think it's only in the very original that Chester comes super late. He's much earlier in the remakes, if memory serves correctly. The last I played was the PSX version, which had more characters too (I hope I'm not misremembering here, it's really been a long time).

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

yeah I barely remember Vesperia's plot beyond who the end boss was and parts of the beginning. But the characters were so awesome, they're what stuck out. Abyss is kinda weak on characters (there's only 6 wtf) except for Jade who is amazing. Fonons are ok I guess but I still couldn't tell you what each number is, not even what the 7th is, or what a 7th Fonist is. This game is way too wacky with that stuff.
I guess technically there's more than six in Abyss, considering the non-combatants that follow you around forever but still participate in skits (Ion, Mieu). Plus the "EXTRA" spoiler guy (which you can see who he is by checking your in-game score, oops~).

I still like Tear, Guy, Luke, and Jade a lot. Anise could be a handful but funny at times. Natalie on the other hand ...

Click here for the full 1295x972 image.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 2, 2010

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thats him second from last. Was this just a screw up from the ported version or is that what he originally looked like?
That's the original Klarth. The original Tales of Phantasia is filled with a lot of drama/history that I believe you can read about at Wikipedia. Suffice to say, the original artist (Yoshiaki Inagaki) probably (there used to be a BBS for this guy that showed off his artwork, and Klarth was on it, but it seems to have went away like two months ago - http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/retorono310/TOPPAGE.html) did the Klarth that you see above as well as the original Phantasia characters. Fujishima made some changes but for the most part the original character art was mostly followed and went into the original ToP (which fit the typical fantasy party archetype culture at the time - every party had to have one gruff old dude with a tender heart).

Years later when the remake came out, Kosuke Fujishima did a total overhaul on most of the characters (touch-ups here and there mostly) but a new Klarth was born for use in the PS1 remake and all future remakes I believe (dunno about Nakiri, haven't looked - they do tend to touch these up every version I've noticed. I think Arche loses her pink hair at some point, the PSP version?) since older party mates really weren't part of the archetype anymore.

Original Klarth:

Newer Klarth (and other characters)

Click here for the full 641x478 image.

Click here for the full 956x541 image.

I personally preferred old Klarth myself as well, especially with respect to the final scene at the town before the final dungeon.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 2, 2010

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Megalixir posted:

:words:
This is a bit baseless. You know the same group who did that PS3 demo patch is the same group doing the Wii patch, right? You can read their news and progress updates here: http://talesofgraces.com/

As far as any outsider can tell, the Wii patch is coming along fairly quickly as far as fan translation of games go. It's not as if Wii and PS3 projects are well documented, so there's a bit of pioneering going on at any given time. Their earliest update is July of this year, and judging by the progress meters, it looks like they're looking at a 2011 release since they're doing things a little backwards from how groups typically approach these projects.

Remember how long the Front Mission 5 project took for the PS2, when it was one of the first completed translation projects on that system? Hint: years. By all signs, I think the right people got a hold of this project, so it's well-deserving of hope.

Although it does seem people are indeed posting that Tales of Graces F requires a 3.5 upgrade. You may be able to do some downgrade tricks to get it to run - not sure. Actually the head guy over at the site posted on the 3.5 upgrade:

Tempus posted:

It does force a 3.50 update. No worries, we’ll get around it if we need to.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 7, 2010

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Girl reminds me of Rutee (sleeves). Guy reminds me of dung. Man his art in the magazine looks awful, but the in game looks a bit better.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Some of the artwork so far for Rune Factory would definitely agree with that theory I suppose.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Looks good, I still don't like the main male lead much but I am totally down for some fisticuffs (it was the one that initially drew me to Legandia! But alas.)

Nate RFB posted:

That's what Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits did. I thought it worked out OK for that game at least.
It was actually perfectly fine except they clobbered the ending and gave you a false idea of how the ending was supposed to play out.

Still, not a bad idea. That whole series is very underrated if you ask me, especially Arc the Lad 2.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 15, 2010

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
But ... we have had Tales releases? We've had ... quite a lot of Tales releases in fact? Too bad the ones we want from the past year aren't those but them's the breaks.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 16, 2010

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah, OG1 and OG2 saw a western release, and those were very small games to localize. Mugen Frontier was the other one, but its sequel never came over (Exceed Frontier or something or another).

Endorph posted:

No, I was not aware of this. Thank you for telling me.
I was talking to the guy overreacting. I'd never say anything of sarcasm to you Endorph :swoon:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Loaded question, but whatevs~

I import, but I never picked up ToV for the PS3 since I have it for the 360 (I still think about it from time to time, but I wasn't COMPLETELY in love with ToV's combat to experience the game a second time).

ToD's remake for the PS2 is very easy to play and has a full translation wiki going for it so you can understand the story and such.

I have Graces for the Wii standing by, for whenever the translation patch is released. Still undecided on what to do about Graces F, will make that decision when I play the Wii version.

I know quite a few others who import too.

^ Yeah, the prices can be ridiculous. I have yet to import a Tales game at launch. But speaking as someone who buys quite a few mecha games when they launch, I too know the sting of a hundred dollar game :|

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 19, 2010

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So my friend seems really convinced that these games won't be coming to America, Should I believe him?
You can believe remakes/ports of current generation games will probably never come to the west due to how localizations/voice actors get handled.

As for Tales games in generals, I wouldn't sink the boat just yet. We've always got some, and haven't got others. We didn't get Graces recently, but we did get Symphonia 2. There's some nuances here that I'm omitting, but I'd say wait to see if Xilia comes out before you join the doom train like others have.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

no. . . my e-penis :negative:

I don't actually have a PS3 so I don't know how all that stuff works. You have to jailbreak it to patch games? That kinda sucks
Probably not in the way as you know jailbreaking (like the wii -> homebrew channel, or via dongle).

The new way that comes out this month should in theory involve pretty much no big effort on your part. The r3volution app or whatever from the Graces translation group will be digitally signed thanks to this latest stuff that got cracked, and then you will install the r3volution package on your PS3 (from a usb key likely). After that, you just drop the patch onto your PS3, run r3volution so it slipstreams the patch onto your game, put in your game, then you're set.

Before this new PS3 cracked stuff, you'd need to have a 3rd party device that jailbroke your PS3 in order to run the r3volution software.

quote:

Yeah, all this patching and fan-translation stuff is coming from the PS3 Jailbreak that started up late last year. I'm not sure if its at the point yet where you can connect a jailbroken PS3 to the PlayStation Network like the 360 apparently can (as I've read once or twice) though.
With the new hacks being able to dupe the firmware version number, it shouldn't be a big deal to connect to the PSN I think. You will probably need another app to do this, similar to the Wii homebrew method of connecting to the Wiiware shop.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 4, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Megalixir posted:

I'm going to sleep. The only reason why I'm not shouting expletives is because Graces F softens the blow. But thanks Namco, way to shadow a great announcement by a let down like this. Although there's still a possibility of it being revealed today though.

I'll look into PS3 hacking tomorrow.
Only in the Tales thread can some people take good news, poo poo on it, and then whine about not getting a re-release with these amazing exciting (and mostly frivolous) features sure to reinvigorate a game that most of us dumped 80 hours into already:

Flynn as a playable character
A new character, Patty, is added as well.
A bit of a backstory for Patty, as well as a new boss.
New Giganto monster.
Two new Sidequests: Sword Dancer, which is tied to Yuri and Flynn's backstory. and Telescoping Graveyard, which seems to have something to do with Spiral Draco.
New Weapons, Titles, and Skills for the characters.
New Team Colleseum Battles.
Downloadable Titles....that you don't have to buy
Everyone except for Patty also get second Mystic Artes.

But drat, at least we get a new Tales game as a consolation prize!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Some Numbers posted:

:aaa:

I knew that ToD: Remake was awesome, but...but...

God, I want to play that game.
You really should, too bad it doesn't seem to play nicely with emulators, so you'll have to import. There's a wiki out there on the net that translates most of the dialog and the menus were rather simplistic for me to figure out when I played it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Policenaut posted:

The PSP is region free so I assume Sony just doesn't care about region locks anymore. Let the developers be concerned about potential cross-region control differences!
The DS is region free so I assume Nintendo just doesn't care about region locks anymore.

Oh wait.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Thorias posted:

Also Guy is extremely fun to play with, he feels as fluid and smooth as Lloyd did in TOS. Luke just feels awkward for some reason.
Guy's always been the fan favorite for playing from what I've been told.

Personally I always liked Luke, maybe it's because I just wanted to be different, but probably because I was coming off Vesperia and Luke's style reminded me a bit of Yuri's style albeit slower. Either way, I preferred Luke's FoFs over Guy's and I was definitely a FoF abuser by the end of that game.

Looks like another generic menu patch. That duo has been pumping them out everywhere they can (Narikiri, Graces, and Vesperia?) and that's usually about as far as they get despite their bravado on the forum and their frequent meltdowns.

I think Narikiri has been stalling now for months, although checking the thread now, I guess they finally decided to move onto having people just help translate the game via public spreadsheet :frogsiren:

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 8, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yet another release of terrible 3DS Abyss screenshots: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/17/tales_of_the_abyss_screens/

Lordy. Not really sure why they are releasing them in this state (again) unless the game really does look this terrible on 3ds hardware.

vvvv The two I linked are, yeah. They didn't bother fixing the image quality is more my point.

[e]Go here instead for the screenshot gallery in better format: http://toa.namco-ch.net/ps2/screenshot/

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 17, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The ones on the main site look a bit better than the hilariously bad gallery. Same image but on the official Bamco site:

Anyway, better gallery is now here: http://toa.namco-ch.net/ps2/screenshot/

Just some obvious overscaling for web page purposes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Belgurdo posted:

a half-finished waifu simulator instead
What game are you referencing here?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Skychrono posted:

Woah, does that look as good in motion as it does in that screen? That's prettier than Eternal Sonata.
It's not out yet and only recently announced. You can see a little bit of things in motion in their first trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSjpLMDP6aw

It'll look pretty, as pretty much any RPG will be that dares to run the PS3 gauntlet at this point in Japan. Personally I think the environments leave a bit to be desired:

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 19, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Rowen pretty much confirmed as a playable character and also more details on the latest "advancements" in the skit system. His gimmick is apparently you can control his spells/skills after they've been cast (they call it "tuning").

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/20/xillia_update/

Highlight to me is that you can swap characters mid-battle with the d-pad, which I guess explains the smaller playable cast?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

wdarkk posted:

Is there anything new or different in Abyss 3DS that we know of?
The big thing they've bragged about is being able to see more of the background scenery due to the increased screen real-estate the 3DS provides.

I have no intentions of ever picking this up but I really hope they provide you guys with voiced English skits. Otherwise you'll still be better off just playing the undub, probably on an emulator that makes it look even better than the 3DS version.

But I bet they won't cause re-securing voice actors in the west seems to be a monumental pain (Persona 3 mostly pulls it off, despite some obvious differences in audio quality between original and remake). Maybe they'll just revoice the whole thing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What exactly are you mad about again? I can't actually tell.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/16/tales_of_xillia_star_driver_costumes/

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Momomo posted:

It still gives the feeling that Namco doesn't really "get" DLC though.
Yeah, look at those jokers who thought they could make big bucks by selling hats in an fps game . . .

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Momomo posted:

You can get those hats without paying for them though, unlike these costumes.
You still have to buy keys in some cases but this is off topic :>

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nate RFB posted:

Most of my complaints (Load time, no voice acting in skits) are solved by playing the Undub anyway.
Yep, my one and only Abyss playthrough was using PCSX2 and the Undub and my playthrough was pretty fantastic (although there were some undub glitches for some bosses - hearing the occassional English VA just made me cringe at how awful it was). Hardly any load times, etc.

Some graphic glitches at the time that I played though if you used rescaling, but it was worth it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Tales of Xillia's new trailer landed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAmBth3GpjQ

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Vesperia really isn't much better if you want to poke at that game in the same way you are. Suffice to say everyone is going to feel differently about the characters from various Tales games because it's all subjective matter. In the end though I feel most people play these sorts of games for two reasons: the gameplay and the interactions.

Years later I don't really look back at Tales and think of a particular character's backstory, I've honestly probably forgotten most of them. But I'll always remember certain skits, interactions and events - because this is what Tales has always done well. This aspect of the game probably takes a terrible hit in the west due to horrible voice acting (Hello English VA Abyss!)

I'm pretty much with Sanders when it comes to the plots of Tales games. They tend to start off strong but spiral into nonsense after their introductions. Usually it's no biggie though because the characters will pick up from there and the plot is basically just a loose backdrop for the characters to occupy. I feel like I could make this statement with nearly every modern JRPG though.

Purple D. Link posted:

Yeah, this is reminding me of why I have no desire to replay Abyss. Mostly the load times and backtracking.

Something confused me though... Remember when Luke tried to save a town from sinking into the underground place? Where Van reveals himself to be a bad guy? Well, Luke was doing something he thought would save the town, and it ended up being destroyed. But his party members hated him for it and treated him like he destroyed it on purpose. I never understood that part.
Emulate it and play the undub. Can't help with the backtracking, that part definitely does suck a bit.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 11, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
He also hits the height of his self-degradation and won't accept responsibility at that point. That's the part where you hear nothing but "It wasn't my fault!"

Momomo posted:

The problem I have with this part is absolutely none of it is actually Luke's fault. If he had done the right thing and not followed Van, the exact same thing would've happened anyway, as Van had a special voice command. He even tells Luke this, but Luke never feels like mentioning it.
Probably the biggest laughing point for me is how Ion gets away scott-free for opening the door in the first place.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

S-Alpha posted:

This conversation is making me realize something: The Tales series doesn't really have fans, does it? It just has abiders.

I mean, I have never heard a lick of praise for the plots, even by fans. Why bother, then?
Sure it does. How do you think a thread like this becomes 80 pages? I assure you it has not been filled with people getting their Bamco Rage on since the start. There's also a specific thread for ToV which saw a ton of traction and lots of people in the west still think of ToV as one of the best games released in recent memory. These games are about a lot more than just plot too. A lot more.

There's just really nothing to talk about these days unless you're importing the game and there really aren't many people doing that anymore. Take that away and you are mostly left with people crying foul at Bamco for not fulfilling their dreams. That kind of consistent anger also doesn't come from people who are only mildly interested in the series, as a random aside.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Endorph posted:

Because, to be frank, there aren't that many English voice actors. At all. If someone's talented, of course they're going to be in everything, because there are like ten people, total, to choose from.

Also I totally buy games because of Liam O'Brien. :colbert:
To be more specific there's only a small population of high profile voice actors who will consistently keep working for the low pay that the unions command. Unions in the west are the real problem ultimately. The guy who voiced Phelps in LA Noire, his first video game voice acting job, who did a very good job, came out of that gig pretty much saying the pay was dirt and he wasn't really sure why people do it. :V

There's actually quite a large and good voice acting population in the west, but money is a big problem. PC games developed in the west can usually tap much better talent since they plan for the voice acting up front, rather than after the fact when a game is localized. On that note, the PC game industry can sometimes be a lot more serious about localizations on high profile titles, which is kind of ironic really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Cool. This assuage a few concerns regarding the smaller cast, looks like the gameplay will be sufficiently interesting!

I'm really glad they're finally starting to expand beyond simple combinations and buttons. Milla really did look a bit boring in the videos. Also glad to see someone take the blind-side/sight out mechanic from SO4, hopefully in a refined form.