Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Calaveron posted:

So, any further ToS2 impressions? I'm really debating whether to buy this game or not.

As people have said, the first hour really drags, but the game does improve after that. For the protagonist, the focus seems to be on aerial combat, which is a nice touch. I've dropped about 16 hours into it and I can tell I'm about halfway done with the first major quest of the game. I'm pleased with the storyline, and the skits are generally very entertaining (don't skip any that involve Tenebrae; he's a hilarious dick).

I love the monster system, while accepting that it is gimmicky. The way I see it is that I loved Symphonia and I loved Pokemon, so I'm going to love this. I haven't been disappointed, though I did see this image, revealing that evolution is needlessly complicated (apologies for the quality):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Avarice7 posted:

I hope ToS 2 gets better, I'm 40 minutes in and I want to kill Emil so badly. Also whats with all the freaking flashbacks?

Yeah, after about the first hour the story picks up. You'll pretty much want to kill Emil all game, though. At least Tenebrae picks up the slack.

And the flashbacks stop shortly. I, too, failed to see the point in flashing back to events that took place minutes ago.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Ratatosk is actually part of Norse mythology (a squirrel or something that lived in Yggdrasil, the tree of life), as is Ginuungagaap, which will always make you laugh. Don't know about Tenebrae, but I assume it's Norse as well.

Also, the Lloyd thing won't get resolved until the beginning of the final chapter. Until then, he'll just act like a huge douche to his friends :hellyeah:

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

According to Wikipedia, Tenebrae is Latin for "shadow" or "shadows." Maybe all the Centurions are the Latin terms for their elements.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

For the most part, RPGs don't make up a whole lot of original names/terms for things. Mythology is generally at least some part of their storylines (see names of Final Fantasy summons).

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Lakitu7 posted:

Sure there are. Some enemies/bosses get to use them later but not you. :)

You can also synthesize and armor called the "Painkiller" that gives you the skill "Glory", making you immune to flinching. It also lowers defense or something.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Honestly, I haven't used Glory at all. I saw that it was on the armor, but then that there was those stat-lowering skills as well, so I let it go.

It's not like the game isn't easy enough anyway.

Also, there is a big problem with 10x experience: During a normal playthrough, bonus experience is equal to (2% of base experience) x (max chain), so you need a minimum 50-hit combo to double the experience game, not hard on most bosses.

With 10x experience on mania difficulty, my bonus experience is (16% base experience) x (max chain), meaning I need between 6 and 7 hits to double experience. I can usually get around a 30-hit combo each battle, which is obscene.

I just started chapter 6, and I've maxed out my characters. Battles get me nothing, combat isn't fun anymore, and I know the storyline. Bleah.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

They don't learn anything after level 100, they don't even get titles for reaching level landmarks.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

^Yes, you get Lumen and Aqua, too

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

If you enter and exit Triet Ruins too much, Lloyd will beat you to the core. Also, if you get hit by too much lightning in the Lightning Temple, same thing.

And the Richter sidequests start in Chapter 5, before Richter suspects that (major endgame spoiler)Emil is Ratatosk. Emil respects Richter and doesn't want to fight with him. He sees Richter as responsible for giving him courage, and he is interested in traveling with him.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

I've heard that the power of that move is based on the percentage of the monster book you've filled; if you've 'caught them all,' then it'll be 100% power, but if you've only caught 30% it'll be quite weak.

I just started playing Tales of the Abyss for the first time, and hard mode is a bitch. I've been getting my rear end handed to me and losing grade on nearly every fight. Do I suck, or is there a sharp curve? I know I don't have the best weapons and armor I could have at this point in the game, simply because it's too expensive to buy. and I can hardly touch Drist (I think that's his name, he fights in a big robot), and I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Yeah, you will really hate the game for the first 2-4 hours, but it quickly picks up and gets much better. The monster system is fun, moreso than the rest of the game. It's a passable title, but the "Tales of Symphonia" name carries a lot of weight that it just cannot live up to.

Basically, if you go in expecting another Symphonia, you won't enjoy it. If you are looking for a decently fun timesink, it's not a bad game.

e: one of the things that bothered me about it was the Symphonia characters showing up all the time. It just felt really shoehorned in.

OH MAN IT'S COLETTE REMEMBER HER? MAN SYMPHONIA WAS A SWEET GAME

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

The plots are all the same, that's why. Only the characters and combat system changes.

Here's the plot:

The empire is ok. Someone gets betrayed. The empire is the bad guy. Someone important dies. Someone knowingly/unknowingly instigates a catastrophe. A bunch of kids have to save the day.

e: also the guy you think is the big bad changes at least twice

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

So much racism

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Genis has an EX Skill called Randomizer, which causes all spells to cast in a random amount of time. Sometimes, this time is 0. So, if you equip EX Gems to have Randomizer active, you can continuously start casting and then cancel a spell until it casts instantly.

As for Raine, I'm not sure I ever beat the coliseum without using her Devil's Arm.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Emil is a pretty fun character to play as, IIRC, because he was built for arial combat which you really didn't have at the time it came out. Plus the monster system was alright (aside from their AI being abysmal).

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

My favorite part was that they clearly didn't even test all the monsters and some (Like the Dragons, because gently caress yeah Dragons) would actually outright miss small things with their normal attacks.

Oh yeah, plus some (bears, I think?) would tend to wander around and not attack, or only attack when enemies were just out of range. The casters were the only useful ones.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

It does have some awful dialogue ("I lied. It's actually hot.") but that's frankly par for the course as far as Tales games go.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Is the 3DS version of Tales of the Abyss better than the PS2 one?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Cool, thank you. I don't have anyone to do multiplayer with, so I'll go with the 3DS version.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

A big issue with Symphonia is that a lot of the side characters (Regal, Presea, Colette, Raine/Genis if you're not into casters) were just not fun to play. If you only play as the MC and don't do multiplayer it's not much of a problem. The story being kind of rote is just dull, Vesperia mixed the old cliches up a bit.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Symphonia's puzzles got really tiring on the third or so playthrough, especially Ymir Woods and the Giant Rat maze in the sewers outside the capitol. When you know the solution but it still takes so long to make the correct path it's grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Which game has the best system of 'every character actually feels fun to use'? I feel personally most of the mages/rangers tend to be a bit awkward as a main control, but Xillia actually felt pretty good in that regard.

Vesperia is pretty good for that. Yuri is a great standard sword dude, Judith has fun aerial combos, Repede is quick and also is a dog fighting with a knife, Estelle is pretty fun melee/caster. Karol is too slow for me but he hits like a truck plus he can heal allies by hitting them with a giant axe/hammer, Raven handles weird but also a lot of his moves are more strategic (setting traps, delay attacks, homing heal arrows) so the AI isn't great with him either.

It's not listed in the descriptions, but the more you use most techs the stronger they get. Rita is a standard caster, but her spells are fun and you can spam them way faster than the AI will, so if you play as her you'll be throwing 9 fireballs at a time and having huge AOE on everything you put out.