Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

TechnoRobot posted:

- Karol I could not stand. What. So. Ever. I never used him because I hated he slow he was compared to everyone else. I put him in for the secret missions and that's about it. The voice actor pulls off a good "annoying kid" though.

Thats what I thought at first until he went all :zoro:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
Theres a small preview/teaser out right now.

[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/f7d380936b97994e35680a27bd6ff01dee7a49d0/[PhuzySubs]_Tales_of_Vesperia_-_The_First_Strike_Promo_[19ABDA9B].mp4_snapshot_00.41_[2010.06.01_09.14.56].jpg[/img]

KoB
May 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

Shadow Temple. Shadow Temple. Shadow Temple.

It hurts.

Once you realize how lovely the following mechanic is, its not that bad. You just always have to assume its going to gently caress up.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Wheres the cheapest place to pick up Vesparia? Ive been hankering to play through again.

KoB
May 1, 2009
New not-yet-named PS3 tales game confirmed and no intention of bringing PS3 Graces to the US.

quote:

Namco Bandai has officially acknowledged the existence of a leaked Tales of title. Andriasang reports series producer Hideo Baba confirmed at a press conference that there is a new entry coming to PS3, but that it's currently nameless -- shooting down rumor that it'll be called "Tales of Unitia." There is currently no release window for the game, but some concept art was shown (pictured).

Additionally, the company verified the port Tales of Graces F for the PS3 this winter, which will include an "after-story" that wasn't in the original Wii game. A Namco Bandai representative informed Joystiq that the publisher currently has no plans to release "Tales of Graces (PS3)" in North America.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Its pretty easy to boycott them when they dont release any games I want :v:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Xythar posted:

Is there any other series where the publisher has been so adamant about denying an English release of almost every game despite a vocal fanbase? I mean we even got a Sakura Wars game, eventually. I can only hope the same thing will happen here, and some small JRPG localisation company will pick up the rights to Tales once the series dies and Bamco stop caring.

They could probably save millions by just not trying so hard. They try and market the poo poo out of each game and it falls flat, when the 90% of the people who really are going to buy it are people who are already looking forward to it.

KoB
May 1, 2009
They got mad that we figured it out on the first day and are now just throwing random poo poo up there to piss fans off.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

You didn't find the transitions between the silly skits and wacky cute monster enemies, and Yuri murdering people and tossing their body in the river, jarring? I sure did. More so than anything in any other Tales game.

I won't say that they should give up on serious stuff, there's always been that side to Tales games. But they desperately need to learn how to make the transitions between the two smoother somehow, so the mood isn't constantly being wrecked.

Yuri did that poo poo secretly so that the rest of the team could still be happy-go-lucky. Its more about Yuri's character than the tone, in my opinion.

KoB
May 1, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

Oops, I'm a little late to the Vesperiachat, hope that's OK. Does anyone have advice for someone relatively new to Tales who is starting with Vesperia? I haven't played many action RPGs besides simple stuff like the Ys games so the number of moves and such is a little overwhelming, and there doesn't seem to be a way to practice outside of real battles. Did you just goof around and hope for the best or did you find any tricks or rules that made the game easier to learn?

Dont sell any weapons.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Wasn't her go-to casual outfit that one with the pick jacket and skirt?

Im pretty sure she had "school" and "naked."

KoB
May 1, 2009
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/31/tales_of_xillia_costumes/

Costumes have to be bought separately. All of them. 7500 yen for them all, going on $100. God drat.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Also I just picked up a special edition copy of Vesperia for 360 (gently caress yeah evil GameStop owns, mint for $17!) and I wanted to ask if there's anything important I should know before getting into it. Like should I not sell <x> or <y> is a big event I should watch out for?

Dont sell any weapons. Most skills are recieved from upgrading/synthesizing old weapons and not all weapons are obtainable a second time.

Unless youre playing on hard or having trouble with a boss, I wouldnt recommend buying armor either, just use what you find. Save money for synthing weapons and wacky hats.

On Vesperiachat, finally got enough Star gems to make the Last Fencer for my first time ever. This just mostly reiterated why I usually skip grinding for this poo poo ugh.

KoB fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 3, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009
Is Kouli's still the go-to guide for Vesperia? He did it so early that I cant help but think he must have missed something or written something incorrectly.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Azruelli posted:

Apparently EB Games has it. My experience with their service here in the US has been acceptable.

In the US EB Games is Gamestop. EB Games US was bought by gamestop and EB Games UK/international was bought by GAME I think.

KoB
May 1, 2009

MARTY TURKEY posted:

That means they're gonna release Tales of Xillia in the US right? RIGHT?

ANN posted:

The official Twitter account for Namco Bandai Games in the United Kingdom posted the following on Saturday, "Tales fans I know you are all excited for Tales of Xillia 2 but all I can tell you right now is to stay tuned!"

KoB
May 1, 2009

Megalixir posted:

I work in marketing, and I can tell you that "stay tuned" is just business talk for "even if we have nothing, pay attention to us!", so don't get your hopes up.

Oh, I know. But I can hope :unsmith:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Reive posted:

Having not played a Tales game since Abyss what do you think should be the next?
I'm thinking of either waiting for an English release of Xillia, which looks amazing, trying Graces, or getting the 3DS version of Abyss (which I intend to do someday anyway, as long as the port is good).

Thoughts?

Play Vesperia. Its the best one anyway.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I would play Vesperia first, after playing Graces the combat in Vesperia may be a little too simple.

Besides combat, I'd say Vesperia wins in every category.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Have they confirmed whether its a real tales game or just another Symphonia 2? It seems weird that they havent announced any other party members.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Megalixir posted:

I can't really say I'm even slightly surprised by the localization announcement. I even thought "why isn't this being localized?" while playing it. Way too much production value for them to pass up the opportunity to mass-market this.

I am. Graces sold like poo poo.

KoB
May 1, 2009

quote:

For comparison:

Tales of Destiny - 68,647
Tales of Destiny 2 (Eternia) - 57,896
Tales of Symphonia - 470,253
Tales of Legendia - 83,343
Tales of Phantasia - 88,235
Tales of the Abyss - 72,192
Tales of the World - 39,809
Tales of Vesperia - 144,354
Tales of Vesperia LE - 6944
Tales of Symphonia 2 - 136,695

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im pretty sure Xilla is the only thing announced right now.

KoB
May 1, 2009
It sounds more like hes saying "I wish more people asked about Hearts because its one of my favorites, unfortunately we dont have plans to bring it over because people ask more about the mainline games."

KoB
May 1, 2009

NextTime000 posted:

SPOILER EDIT:I am screaming at everyone for not noticing how Richard has the dark-equivilant of Sophie's powers that is possessing him, that the 3 of them had some of Sophie's powers rub-off on them, and general poo poo like that but loving whatever :anime:

Better get used to it :v:

KoB
May 1, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Today while I was picking up Ni No Kuni the gamestop manager told me that Xillia was ready for preorder. Gamestop's website doesn't seem to list any bonuses though. Does anyone have bonuses?

Does Xillia even have a date yet?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Don't sell weapons. Ever. Selling armor and other stuff is fine, but almost every weapon can be upgraded at least once and there are some that you can't ever get again.

Most of the sidequests have insane requirements and are nearly impossible to figure out on your own. I'd recommend just playing the game without worrying too much about them.

To go with this, weapons give you skills that when leveled up, you can equip them at any time. Fully level up each skill before upgrading them, some skills are lost when upgrading.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Xillia set for August 6th.

e:http://gematsu.com/2013/04/tales-of-xillia-us-release-date-set

No VITA games in the near future. "please look forward to more announcements.”

KoB
May 1, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Nope, I'm sorry. I already dance a thin line and there's no way I could get that and convince someone it's not some sort of anime girl statue.

Thats because it IS an anime girl statue.

I'd totally put money in for artbook/soundtrack but I definitely dont need an anime girl statue.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Just wait for Vesperia HD- HD Harder on the PS4.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Was the PS2 version just a straight port? I cant remember.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yuri and Flynn are almost exactly Lelouch and Suzaku, right down to Yuri shockingly murdering people and not believing in changing things from the inside and Flynn having all the characteristics of a traditional protagonist (including the generic Tales protagonist combat skills) and wanting to work within the government to change it from the inside. They're not 1-for-1 copies but they're really really obviously a response to Geass' popularity, which is further evidenced by Graces doubling down on it.

Graces is more boring about it because it goes the full 9 yards and goes "Okay, so... what if the Suzaku alike really was just the generic hero and what if the Lelouch-alike really was just possessed by evil and what if C.C. had pigtails and kung-fu" but it at least has a fantastic combat system to back it up. I don't dislike Vesperia, mind you, but I don't think the story is a selling point.

You do know that Geass aired only like 5 months before Vesperia was released right? That gives maybe 2-3 months of overlap with final development with a series that was still picking up in popularity.

Graces is just medieval Geass though.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

This is a problem but it isn't with the CC system but with how the Tales AI has developed. TP never provided a meaningful limit to nuking your enemy at infinitum except possibly very very early in the game.

In comparison, all the characters in Graces have really interesting and active systems when you're playing them. They have distinctive playstyles and "sit back and spam heal" is pretty much the least effective way to play them. However the AI isn't really capable of living up to the system to the point where it's probably most effective to put a human behind the wheel of a spellcaster because the AI can handle someone simpler just fine.

Code Geass' first series ended in July 28, 2007, and that was after a specifically long wait for the last two episodes due to production issues. Vesperia was released on August 7th 2008. That is one year after Geass's first series ended and well after it was on the road to popularity.

Oh, wikipedia lied to me I guess :downs:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

So does that mean Tales is done or only sticking to mobile platforms from here on out?

That is market speak for them not having anything to announce at this time.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Megalixir posted:

It does have a more mature theme but yeah that trailer is misleading, they're hyping it up to be something it isn't.

All us nerds are gonna buy it anyway, they need to market it to the masses to hopefully make decent sales.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I'm a few hours into Graces f and the CC system isn't quite clicking with me yet. I'm getting through the battles fine, but I don't really have a sense of rhythm for it. Is it something that you just sort of get used to? Or does it feel more smooth as you get further along?

For example, I'll run up to an enemy and hit them with my 1CC initial attack. Presumably then follow it up with a 2CC. But at that point, I'll have 0CC so the combo stops. I thought the idea was that if you successfully hit, you can just keep on wailing on them to keep the combo going. Instead what seems to happen is you get short bursts of activity and then "oh poo poo I can't do any actions my CC is at 0 and the enemy is right in front of me :derp:". My current strategy is I guess to just get in a few quick hits and then Square+direction to retreat.

Also I feel really stupid to ask this, but where are the B-Artes? The Artes menu only shows A-Artes. Sophie has some sort of First Aid skill which I think is a B-Arte, but I can't seem to see where it's allocated. Or where "First Aid" is talked about at all, other than a mention in some of the Titles.

I could also really use a free run ability, which I'm guessing I'll unlock later like in other Tales games.

In other Tales games, A-Artes would be normal attacks and B-Artes would be Artes. In Graces they make them both Artes since they both have a cost instead of normal attacks being free. Later on you get tons of CC and linking Artes so you can do all 4 levels of A-Artes into some B-artes and back into A-Artes without breaking combo.

e: I dont remember perfectly and Im sure someone will correct me, but I think you can only go from B-Artes back to A-Artes with basic B-Artes. So you can go A-Arte to a basic B-Arte to Advanced to Arcane to Advanced to Basic and back into A-Artes (with the right skills anyway).

KoB fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 15, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009

Wind God Sety posted:

Honestly I don't see the appeal in voiced skits if you can't understand what the voices are saying in the first place. I'd rather just read it with the English voice in my head than have words that make no sense to me there just for the sake of having words. But whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Words cant convey everything, even if I cant understand them I can still understand excitement/etc from the voice. It adds to it.

Also unskippable text with no voice is murder to me.

KoB
May 1, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Just picked up Vesperia PS3 recently.

Anything I should know before going into it? I know the game's fully in Japanese so I plan on following a guide but otherwise anything else of merit? Any of the DLC available work if you buy it with a Japanese PSN account and play the game through a US account?

Dont sell your weapons.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Excels posted:

A loving bra, far more practical than wearing a strip of fabric.

thanks for reminding me how much i loving hate ivar

What are you talking about, mini skirts, tube tops, and weird bondage straps are totally normal clothes for the newly awakened god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
I'd rather get no dub than no game at all.