Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Since it's come up, does ToS 2 get any better after the opening 5-8 hours. I have never been able to get very far because I hated every single character I met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Momomo posted:

Both of these are wrong, since you don't play Tales for a good plot. If you can get enjoyment out of them for any reason, then they do their job.

Not necessarily, but I typically do enjoy the characters and the party dynamic.
From the 10 hours of that game I played, gently caress Emil and Marta.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I really hope they find a better compromise between Graces and Xillia for the next game, but I think we're all overlooking the worst sin Xillia commits.

"Mutton, fresh mutton!"

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

'Creative' doesn't really mean 'good,' though. Some of the dungeons in Symphonia are painful as poo poo.

That loving apple-thing gets me so mad every time.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly DotW is not really bad just kind of mediocre. I don't see any harm in playing it.

I absolutely hated it when I tried to play it. To each their own but I couldn't get into it at all, and Symphonia is probably my favorite Tales game.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

At least Shirley didn't straight up stab Senel at one point.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ya bad news, you did it wrong. You can unlock titles that let you use the first MA at 25 hits, second MA at 50 hits and third MA at 75 hits with no cost. poo poo owns.

I remember busting out 3rd level MA's for Asbel and Hubert constantly, it was a blast. Especially great since both their MA give you nearly 25 hits in their own right.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

It's the last game they made without free-run, and I really like how the combat plays out. I played it around two years ago (for like the fourth time, to be fair) and had no problems with the combat.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Smornstein posted:

Is Symphonia Chronicles worth getting on PSN or should i just get a physical copy?

What does this question mean? The games are the same both ways.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Bravely Default's nothing but corridors, chests and occasional switches though. I can appreciate when something like Nocturne tries to do something interesting with their dungeon design.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Wind God Sety posted:

I'm pretty sure Zelos' voice actor voiced Moses in Legendia as well, but past that, I can't think of anything. Also I actually think the Temple of Lightning is one of the better dungeons in the game, though the dark rooms can get annoying.

He's Adell in Disgaea 2, but that's all I can remember.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

However I can already do that with Dolphin on my PC (which is hooked up to the TV). Plus I'll get 60 FPS without horrible slow down. Also I won't get Symphonia 2 which is the biggest thing. Graces had a bad story and characters, but the combat made up for it. Symphonia 2 is absolute poo poo with zero redeeming features.

You can get Symphonia off PSN for 20 bucks without Dawn of the New World. Not sure about the slowdown, I haven't seen anything halfway in

But, yeah, it's just Symphonia, aside from some minor stuff. If you've got Symphonia already, just play that! Unless you're a dirty pirate, in which case support good video games you dirty pirate.

Factory Davey fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 16, 2014

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

Sorry about the piracy accusation, that was a bit harsh, but I just don't get what you mean by 'not the same quality.' The game doesn't lag at all save for like two instances (and the same could be said of the original) and it works fine. You can accuse it of being a lazy port, but it's not an *incompetent* one.

The big sticking point is the frame rate, which was 60 on the Gamecube and 30 on PS2, and they ported the PS2 version. I've never cared about FPS, but people swear by it.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Also because playing as Alvin would require you to betray and abandon your party on a hilariously regular basis.

I think this would make for a really funny New Game Plus feature. I got through my second playthrough in like three hours skipping cutscenes, imagine how much shorter it would be if you only saw the scenes Alvin was actually there for!

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Pascal has a miserable introduction that I couldn't get over.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I remember never being able to get the achievement for distance travelled. Did it not count flying, I feel like I rubber-banded a controller one night and still never got it.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Sure is a lot of poo poo flying directly into the camera in that first video.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I generally don't get mad over things like pre-order bonuses, but jeez that really sucks.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

Will Xillia 2 be available digitally on release too?

I don't feel like buying the limited edition this time, and because of that, I might as well buy it digitally then.
The first one was, so probably.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

As long as the character interactions are still entertaining, I won't be disappointed. I can't think of a Tales game whose plot I genuinely enjoyed, except for Abyss kind of, but even Graces managed to not gently caress those up.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I miss Symphonia's Gnome he was silly.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Does anyone know a good guide for side-quest stuff in Symphonia? I always miss a ton of stuff, having a guide that lets you know when stuff is missable would be great.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Phantasium posted:

So apparently Zestiria's mystic arte DLC is just cameo stuff, and involves the Zestiria characters using MA's from characters in the old games.

Still lame.

I'm of two minds on this stuff. I still consider it a blessing that these games are coming out in NA as reliably as they have recently, and I understand that pre-orders make them much less of a gamble. And at least they (as far as I know) haven't put anything critical to the game it's included in behind pre-order walls, and it hasn't prevented them from putting in other cameo stuff into these games. Xillia 2 has more cameo costumes and attachments than any of the other HD games that I can think of. In that light it probably wouldn't bug me too much that they include bonuses for pre-orders.

That said, gently caress making them pre-order exclusives. That may end up being just talk, but either way if it doesn't go on sale in the launch window then most people wouldn't see it if they didn't pre-order. I probably wouldn't drop money months after the game came out just to see a Hi-Ougi or two a handful of times.

So, yeah, still lame.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

It has been confirmed that Hearts R won't have an English dub, right? I'm pretty sure that was the case but I can't find a source for that right now.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Excels posted:

Good. Every game we otherwise wouldn't get should just be translated and released with the JP audio. I wish these companies would realize that dubbing is not an essential factor in localized games selling well.

Totally. This stuff is so niche, I can't imagine there are that many perspective customers who wouldn't buy solely because of not having a dub. Bigger/more recent stuff maybe like Zestiria, since theoretically they can get new customers there, but not stuff like Hearts.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Excels posted:

I think Japan assumes we're just as xenophobic as they are, and won't play games that aren't in English. I'd say the average American is only about half as xenophobic as the Japanese.

Isn't the way unionization works with VA's a problem here as well? Anecdotal, but I remember hearing that if one VA on a project doesn't sign off on a release outside of Japan it screws the whole dub.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

The voices are both a package deal and yet not. Each actor has to be negotiated with separately but you also cannot break up the work into individual pieces thanks to the union.

Thanks a ton for the breakdown, this is something I was specifically curious about.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

That's the first pre-order bonus I've ever been genuinely mad won't make it overseas.

Welcome to the plight of NA Animal Crossing fans. I want my slurpee machine drat it!

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Phantasium posted:

The US now has a pre-order bonus for Tales of Hearts R, and it's been confirmed to work on the PlayStation TV.

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/520635157452050432

I'm really curious as to what type of copies Play-Asia is getting, now.

Seriously, a Patty costume? Jerks.
That Repede one looks hilarious though.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

There, I saved them 40-some hours of their life.

Or, like, three if you skip everything not new and burst through every enemy. Still not worth the time though.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

wdarkk posted:

He doesn't seem to tie in with the whole "law vs vigilantism" thing that Vesperia has until it runs out of things to say about that and everything hits the "Tales of Default Settings" mode.

This 100% Yuri's such a unique protagonist, at the very least for this series. For them to not follow up on that in a meaningful way, and instead have it be about global warming or whatever, was a let down.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Excels posted:

Xillia seriously has some drop-dead gorgeous graphics, though. The starting town is really beautiful.

Fennmont seriously loving rules. I wasn't sure if I was down for another Tales until I booted up Xillia, and Fennmont's design sold me.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Jewigi posted:

okay but that didn't answer my question?

Maybe you should answer it for us, Mr. Question.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Jewigi posted:

Why plan any game, when you get down to it? Thanks for the answer either way

Just do a level 1 no damage speedrun like the rest of us, nerd.

E: emulating a turn based rpg in an action rpg? Im confused.

Factory Davey fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 13, 2014

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Does the no jumping clause extend to the field map?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Jewigi posted:

I've never played any of them

What are you doing dude
E: also yeah dragoons can use the ability Jump in FF3

Factory Davey fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 13, 2014

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Is there some sort of trick to recording enemy data because no matter how many of these goddamn Lizitars I fight it just won't get in there

What, like using a Magic Lens? Why do you want to record enemy data anyway?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

You can in the PS3 version, can't you?

There's a second S. flag if I remember correctly.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Having a giant version of every mascot character ride every character's head was easily my favorite part of Xillia, they'd better keep it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

alcharagia posted:

i was not earlier sold on tales of xillia 2

i am now sold on tales of xillia 2

Only thing is unlocking them involves running through the pretty boring postgame dungeon a bunch of times, but its an awesome thing.

I really liked the titles in graces that turned party members into copies of others too.