Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Heath posted:

So is Graces actually supposed to be good? I loved the hell out of Vesperia but from the trailers this looks like the anime-est game yet.

Tales of Destiny was VERY anime-like (so many clichés) but it was still awesome. I've learned to give the Destiny-team a pass on their heavy use of tropes simply because it's what they do.

I also really loved Vesperia but I loved Destiny as well, so I've already bought it. If you're unsure, you can always rent it and buy it if you like what you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Caphi posted:

Actually Zagi's guards just brought out a problem I've been having with the combat, which is that in addition to everything responding faster then you, everything moves faster than you. So sometimes enemies will just decide to walk away from you and there is very little you can do. The gargantuan attack delay and completely impotent dashing (I still don't know what Critical Guard actually does; do you counter with it?) means that basically any attempt to intercept (say, Azure Edge or Destruction Field) is going to lag you more than it lags your target. I think... god, the dash-and-drop move, it's probably Wolf Fang Strike or something, that one works, but dropping an enemy means your chain is over (even if I eventually get an Arcane Arte that picks it up, that's the end of the chain in itself). Thing is, none of that works on Zagi anyway because he's either moving or hitting you and the ironguards that you're trying to break also prevent you from getting off more than a hit or two at a time.

Delay tangent: if Destruction Field and the earth shock one are supposed to be used when I'm surrounded, why has every enemy I'm engaged with already hit me three times in the side before they can actually do any damage?

I don't completely hate Vesperia, I swear, but the EFR-LMBS moves like a whale.

And while I'm at it, OVL 1 doesn't actually make you uninterruptible, even though every boss I've seen trigger Overlimit gets that ability. What's the point of triggering it if it's not going to keep me from getting hit while I'm doing a triple backflip before every move?

p.s. every second Zagi spends talking about how he wants to kill kill kill is a wasted second as far as I'm concerned, and he's such an obnoxious fight that I'd actually rather have another kraken or something.

I've a lot of experience with both Vesperia versions, so I can suggest a few things:

• Your movement speed is determined by your agility stat, so you can get a boost either by equipped Agility+ skills or equipping accessories that boost it.
  • Crushing Eagle, the earth shock one (which, yes, is a decent-ish weapon when you're surrounded but it's got a rather short range), does make the enemy stand but you'll need a skill to allow a character to chain two Arcane Artes together. Otherwise, I'd advise against using knockdown artes (such as Wolf Strike/Azure Wolf Strike).
  • OVL 1's main draw is that it allows you to use any arte you want, in any order (so, then, you'd be able to use those two Arcane Artes in a row and whatnot) but, as you noted, bosses can easily jump out of your chain. With that in mind, I'd advise OVL1 to mainly be Rita's thing as her spells are broken as all hell (spamming Splash, in the early game, will easily break a bosses armor and force him to stay downed). FYI: the other OVL levels give you more effects: 2 increases damage to downed enemies, 3 reduces your TP cost to 0 and 4 gives you that super armor and reduces all incoming damage to 0.
  • Rita's especially good against Zagi because most of her spells have no travel time, so they can cut him off before he runs around and allow you team to gang up on him.

On the Sorey topic, his picture seems older than Lloyd...but I've learned not to guess the age of anime characters from their appearance.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

Iunno, it's pretty easy to buy. He's a tiny lil' guy, still kind of awkward, and he's still in school.

Well, it's not like we don't usually hear about teenage geniuses making into college in our own world...most of them don't know kung-fu, though.

Endorph posted:

I still dont understand how Judith is 19

Really? I think the Vesperia characters all look the age they're supposed to be.

Judith's voice is what sounds only a few years too old but it's not THAT much.

vvvv Edit: Am I going crazy or did they actually call Anise a Puppeter (パペッター) instead of Puppeteer?

Double Edit: Jade is a Fonimer! :science:

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 21, 2014

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Excels posted:

Nobody knows who voiced Tear in Abyss. She remained anonymous, much like Naoto in the original Persona 4.

Nicole Balick (a.k.a. Nicole Karerr).

She also did Stella in Legendia, girl Morgan in Fire Emblem Awakening and some others (like Naoto in Persona 4).

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Caphi posted:

In my continuing adventure through Vesperia:

• Am I seriously the only one in the world who doesn't think it's the pinnacle of action RPG design that if I start a basic attack chain into Destruction Field, the enemy who was hit by all the attacks can recover and guard in the time it takes Destruction Field to land?
  • I got Fatal Strikes and they're as lovely as I remember. It takes roughly the monster's HP of doing nothing but FS-effective attacks to unbalance it. There is a margin of error/variation of, like, 1.6 actual moves. So basically it's a system that demands you memorize the genus/color table and then spam one-color combos forever if you want to actually use it (you only get eight moves in the original, too, and I'm not getting the Arte Ball for a while). I don't know why they even bothered explaining what the bonuses are for humanoids and inorganics. Wait, are you supposed to use Half/Quarter Damage? Basically gently caress Fatal Strikes.
  • I'm playing on hard. As always, regular encounters are just about right, but bosses are murderous. But this game apparently somehow predates the invention of retrying special encounters. If it wasn't obvious, I'm on the chapter about the Hunter Swords guild, and getting from a save point to the local boss fight involves going down a beautifully animated corkscrew for 1000 years. (Shouldn't there be a Second/Moderate?)
  • No way 烈砕衝破 is "Crushing Eagle." Where the hell would they have gotten "Eagle"?

Truth be told, I never liked Destruction Field precisely for that reason - the wind-up leaves you open.

For Fatal Strikes, it's less about the color of the arte you're using and more about the number of hits that the attack does (which is why Shining Fang is pretty much Yuri's best blue arte for the entire game); at the point you're at, FSing an enemy is just a quicker way of taking out the last bits of HP but, as the Skills start coming in, doing Fatal Strikes will allow for stuff like recovering TP which is pretty much essential if you want more freedom to attack.
Enemies WILL get bulkier as you move along and FSing them will matter a bit more, especially if you remember their particular color weakness (and, regardless of that, FSing a boss is always nice damage).

No idea on the Crushing Eagle thing - all I could find related to "衝破" was that it's a mandarin verb that means "to break through". What is this even supposed to mean in japanese? Their own wiktionary entry only points out to the chinese verb.

By the by, those stairs ARE bullshit (I'd suggest switching to Rita and spamming OVL/Fireball as the boss is weak to fire).

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Caphi posted:

They'll probably change it quietly and ignore it, though, to be honest. I kind of hope so, it's the legitimate best option.

Anyway, that's enough of me acting like Kajitani.

Can't. The fight starts as Yuri alone, with other PCs filtering in over time; hopefully Rita is among those who joins, but even so I still don't have the Moon Selector. I'll just set it down to normal for bosses like I always do.

Maybe I should just main Repede. It'll only be the third time I've primarily played a secondary "partner" character on grounds of being faster. But then, the game likes to isolate Yuri a lot, doesn't it? Much more than usual, surely.

Eh, maybe they had some weird reasons for outright renaming attacks...that said, I've no idea what led them to go with that CANNON bit.

And I totally forgot that Yuri started out alone. That said, you don't need to attack the Giant - just free run for a bit and people will join in (Rita will be present, too).

Since, indeed, you can't have the Moon Selector at this point, your best bet would be to turn off all of Rita's sells except for those that the boss are weak to and set her AI to go all out with TP and stay away. Her attacks will, at least, have an easier time to stagger the boss (if you go into OVL with Yuri, open with Wolf Strike to break his guard and spam Destruction Field as you won't have anything better).

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

All that we need now is for Sorey's mom to freak out and kill everything whenever he drops into critical HP.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

I can't find fault with the localized voices we have nowadays - in my opinion, having lived through the dark days of PSX voiced JRPGs, they're at an all time high.

It's been a very long time since I was irked by them and there are a handful of recent games that I actually prefer the english voices (Xenoblade is the first example that pops in my head).

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Because Yakuza 5 is a brand new game that never made it outside of Japan in any form while Vesperia PS3 is an enhanced port that doesn't add a whole lot of things in the grand scheme of things, unless you really have to play as a gimmicky as gently caress girl pirate.

Gimmicky, yes, but completely broken when you use Critical Moment to spam OVL4 on everyone.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

I should get back to Xillia 2. I need to accept I can't (and shouldn't) do every quest. Yes.

I got sick of killing 15 monsters over and over after every plot event.

The thing that irks me most aren't the respawning generic quests but those "RED TEXT DO IT NOW!" quests that, despite being for a ultra-weak monster or require an item that I have dozens of, will not allow me complete the drat thing until I've earned a few hundred million quest points.

:argh:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Caphi posted:

If a giant space fetus appears in a completely empty sky, the cause can only have... no, wait...

Obviously, the giant baby's the newborn Sky Spirit.

Was there ever one of those? Closest I can think of is Luna but that's the Moon...

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Hmmm, was there ever a Tales game with a woman as the actual, sole main character?

Either way, pirate stuff is always good!

vvv Edit: Probably didn't want to announce the next game in the US when Zestiria still hasn't been released.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

there were some IOS games and a couple of the tales of the world games but not a mainline game, no

I suppose it could be said that, while Jude shared the main character spot in Xillia, Milla was the de facto MC of that one since the plot pretty much revolved around her.

Speaking of, I'm seeing a handful of bitching about how Velvet is Milla with black hair and a bunch of belts.