Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm something around ~35 hours into it and I've been enjoying Symphonia 2, personally. The Pokemon thing is interesting enough and can be mostly ignored if it's not your thing provided you choose a few that are okay and just use them when the Symphonia 1 party aren't around in sufficient numbers. The skits are generally entertaining and actually being voice acted is nice. Tenebrae is playing a lesser version of Jade's role in the skits, so they're worth watching. The combat system is the best of Symphonia with some of Abyss's features thrown in. The first hour is absolutely atrocious and you want to kill everyone and return the game, but if you get through that it picks up fine. Load times are fast and from battle->game almost zero.

The thing it tends to lack is balance. Some monsters are fantastic and some terrible (mostly for AI reasons). Some quests take 30 seconds and some take 30 minutes but the rewards each will give you are identical. I frequently look through my Synthesis list to find that there's still nothing worth making in a giant giant list. The Tales 1 characters are generally better than most of the monsters primarily because their AI is better, but perhaps when I get toward endgame their poor growth and static equipment will screw them as others are saying. Emil's semi-auto does have some issues, but I mostly consider it reason to stay awake and play with better movement rather than just mashing A A A B repeatedly like "better" semi-auto devolves into.

Anyhow, perhaps I have low standards or something but I've been enjoying it fairly well. I've played Phantasia, Symphonia (several times), most of Destiny, 1/4th of Legendia, and Abyss. For me it's pretty close to Abyss but with voice-acted skits and without the load times that kept Abyss from being the best thing ever (and kept me from playing it more than once). Instead it has the aforementioned balance issues, but the combat system is fun and screwing with the monsters keeps it fresh. The story is about the same level of barely-passable that all Tales games have and most suffer from the same godawful-first-hour that it does. Where it suffers story-wise is a lack of character development since only the new pair get any development and the TOS1 cast are static rehashes of their old jokes, but I felt like only Abyss had much in the way of character development so while this has less it's hardly an awful game.

Did Vesperia just raise the bar so much that the rest all suck after playing it? Someday I'll get a 360 and play it; I just find it hard to justify a console purchase for Vesperia and only a few others. Perhaps in the meantime it's better that I keep waiting so I can continue to enjoy the rest of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Skychrono posted:

I haven't played the game yet, but according to the Nintendo Power preview it says that Kratos voices the narrator. Maybe he's in the game proper too, no idea.

Yeah, you hear his voice like 3 seconds in, so I wouldn't really call it much of a spoiler.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yay, someone else in the thread with an overall positive impression of TOS2. At least I'm not the only one anymore. :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

EngineerSean posted:

All I've taken away from the first hour is that Emil is such a lovely character that he apparently needed to make a pact with the devil to grow a set of balls.

Even I admit the first hour is loving terrible. :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Abyss had a bunch that were from very-missable events and sidequests, too.

The best thing about Symphonia's system was learning one during a battle. "Demon Fang! Demon Fang! I MUST BE A GENIUS!!! DOUBLE DEMON FANG!" :xd:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

there is no over limit or anything like it in ToSII, what the gently caress.
Sure there are. Some enemies/bosses get to use them later but not you. :)

CloseFriend posted:

EDIT: Even literary references couldn't hurt. I've never seen the names Quintanona, Hardquanonne, or Fauchelevent used in an RPG, and why not?
I would argue that those are hard to read/say, but then again if they're already using Yggdrasil and now Ginuungagaap that idea probably doesn't hold much water. :sigh:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

EDIT: are you talking about enemies that can make themselves immune to flinching? Because some of the vanguard jerks have that, and it's really loving annoying.

This, yeah. Some boss groups get them later and it can be rather nasty when you can't interrupt their spells (I think U attacks always work but they'll still get one off before you can charge another of those). Also they have the black-and-flickery effect faintly that marked Overlimit in the first game.

Cliff posted:

You can also synthesize and armor called the "Painkiller" that gives you the skill "Glory", making you immune to flinching. It also lowers defense or something.

Oh yeah? I didn't catch that. If you combine that with the weapon(s) that let you easily infinite-combo I guess you'd break the game doubly fast.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I guess I'll put off finishing the rest of the quests until after I get them, then. I can still finish the quests after I get them, right?

In theory yes, but Aqua isn't obtained until directly outside the final boss's room.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
For what it's worth, I felt like the grade was given rather freely in TOS2 compared to others. I didn't try to do anything toward whoring grade in my playthrough and still somehow ended up with enough to buy basically everything for the next, which is rather unlike TOS1 and other Tales games I've played. It's more of a 2-games-for-everything system, instead of first-game normal, second-game for grade whoring with the grade+ option, then third game for all the good newgame+ options.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It's not really made good by Luke changing so much as that he does it semi realistically and the other characters react to it very realistically. He's still semi annoying but you enjoy that the other people are also annoyed, unlike in Ratatosk where most seem to like Emil just fine when he's being an idiot.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Do you know more specifically what sort of union policy prevented it?

Also Cam Clarke says maybe 5 sentences all game :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Y'all should probably spoiler some of that.

Personally I thought the fight before him with Alice and Decus was far more difficult, so if you can even get to Richter you can beat him fine.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Samurai Sanders posted:

By the way, how do y'all usually bind your special attacks? I have settled on the following scheme:

stick neutral: combo starters
stick left/right: blowback/knockdown attacks or otherwise combo finishers
stick up: launchers/jumping attacks
stick down: diving/arcing attacks

I pretty much use this one, yeah. It has enough vague logic to it to work well.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Could someone please remind me what the "CC system" refers to? Google seems to just find this article.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Excellent. Sounds like a nice variety that will be new to me and a welcome return for folks who liked it on others. Thanks for the synopsis.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Abyss just has crazy good characterization in general. Yes Luke changes and that's pretty unique because dynamic characters are rare in jrpgs, but even more unusual I think is how much backstory they bothered to give not only all the party members but also all 8(?) of the major bosses. How many games can you honestly say give longterm development and morally ambiguous motivations to every midboss character? Of course most of it is in skits, but still, I was pretty amazed.

I hope Vesperia has similar in that regard. I finally got a 360 now so I'll be playing it when the game gets here, mostly because this thread hypes it so much.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I thought the encounter rate was way too high and it drove me to not finish. At that point I had only played Phantasia (SNES translation, and with liberal use of fast forward to take care of this same issue) and Symphonia. The new games have spoiled me with being able to avoid (at least partially) encounters I don't feel like mashing through.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
FOF is pretty much worthless or impossible until the late->endgame when suddenly luke's basic artes and pretty much everything jade does creates fields you can use pretty easily. Before that, though, it's just a rare fluke when it happens.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think the sunlight chambers is what I meant? My memory is bad though. I did every major sidequest and I still didn't have very many of those until pretty late in the game

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm just starting Vesperia now. Does it have a ton of missables like Abyss that would make me particularly regret trying to play without a walkthrough?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Is this the sub-event guide people use? I checked the last 5 pages of the main thread but don't want to go through it all or I'll surely spoil something. I think I used one from the same site/author for Dawn of the New World and it wasn't so bad. Abyss I'd actually bought the Brady guide for though.

Anyway, guess I'll go with it. At least I've gotten everything so far.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah, I'll agree with Tenebrae being the best thing in that game. He really did feel like Jade again except with even more stupid childish behavior to make fun of because the protagonists are that much more stupid and childish. :)

It *does* get a lot better after 5 hours or so but man I think it's definitely a contender for the worst beginning of any jrpg I've played.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I was going to say that the official guide isn't too bad for that purpose, but holy crap the cheapest price for it on Amazon is $50 used. :gonk:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The beginning couple hours are absolutely abysmal-- like, probably the worst beginning of any jrpg I've played and I've played quite a lot. After that, it's passable.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
That didn't even bother me half so much as

OH EMIL I LOVE YOU
OH MAN I AM SUCH A GIANT WUS

COURAGE IS THE MAGIC THAT TURNS DREAMS INTO REALITY

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Well, that and *balance*. Some skills/characters/monsters are much better than others for no particular reason, and all of the Symphonia characters are crap compared to half the monsters, particularly at endgame because they have a lower level cap for no apparent reason. :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
There's also the emulation option if you have a very modern PC. Turning off the framelimiter during load times works wonders.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I've never used a PS3 so I don't really have much to compare with, sorry. Check out the PS2 emulation thread for more info on that regard though. I know that Abyss is at least playable but I don't know how perfect it is.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I seem to remember Symphonia saying somewhere near the end that it was jealousy over their living for a really long time and having innate magic affinity.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Does every line she says in old sequences not otherwise about her also feel shoehorned in, or just the stuff for her backstory?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
How about the original voice actors? Did they bring them back to say things to/about/with her, or did they write everything she says in order to make sure that wasn't necessary? If the latter, it could probably explain some of the awkwardness, since in that case nobody could actually ever say a voice-acted line directly to or about her.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Oh, well that's good. I figured they did it the cop-out way. Having to rehire all the old voice actors back probably makes localization less likely though.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah, Tales games like to trot out the cliches so much that you really have to wonder how much of it is meant to be taken seriously sometimes.

In fairness, I'd never have finished Phantasia if it weren't on an emulator. The encounter rate is just way too high by modern standards. There's an item to decrease (or increase!) it but not until the end of the end-game optional uber-dungeon at which point it's rather pointless.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I managed to make it until almost the end of Destiny PS1 but stopped when I hit some maze thing that was driving me way too nuts with the encounter rate, even despite playing basically everything in 2-3x its intended speed by that point. Much like Phantasia I'd have never gotten even that far on a real system though.

The old combat systems were really good for their time and back then higher encounter rates were more standard, but after playing the more modern Tales games it's really hard to go back. :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Plus if you're stick of the too-frequent repetitive battles, semi-auto is better for letting you hold down fast forward and mash xxxy or whatever repeatedly to win :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Different directions on the dpad activate different levels.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm sorry I don't really remember. I want to say up was one level and left was all of it and the others were in-between clockwise, but that could be totally wrong.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Honestly I didn't fee like I needed more than the sidequest guide. That covers everything missable, and why use a guide for things that aren't missable? You need it if you want to do something insane like finish the collector's book but it seems overkill for a first playthrough.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/06/20/tales-studio-near-bankruptcy-tales-series-doomed/ (has :nws: ads)
http://kotaku.com/5568531/end-of-story-for-tails-studio

Other sites are picking up the story now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
aka basically the same plot role Exspheres had in Symphonia