Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Phantasia is actually my favorite of all the ones that I've played. For some reason, I really, really love the character designs in that game, whereas in the other Tales games I usually think they're either too garish (Destiny, Eternia) or too boring (Symphonia). I actually thought the battle system felt very natural, especially in the PSX version.

I actually have the Japanese Destiny Director's Cut and Destiny 2; I need to get on those. The former actually has a separate quest from Leon's point of view that I was meaning to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

It's been forever since I've played Symphonia, but didn't it not have non-random, non-re-spawning battles like Dragon Quarter? The lack of quickjump annoyed the living gently caress out of me in Final Fantasy II (the original, already-annoying NES version) for instance, but I don't remember minding in Symphonia.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Cliff posted:

For the most part, RPGs don't make up a whole lot of original names/terms for things. Mythology is generally at least some part of their storylines (see names of Final Fantasy summons).
I know this gets RPGs a lot of poo poo, but honestly I think this is preferable to just making names up. It would always bug me when people would slam Xenogears in particular, since I just saw that game as using a special nomenclature just to have all the names come from somewhere.

I just kind of wish they wouldn't re-use names like Yggdrasil or Ragnarok (Kangaroo :v: ) so much. Brewer's Dictionary is a pretty big book; there have to be plenty of other names out there.

EDIT: Even literary references couldn't hurt. I've never seen the names Quintanona, Hardquanonne, or Fauchelevent used in an RPG, and why not?

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 11, 2008

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Mercurial posted:

Thanks for clearing that up. If they ever do release that here, are they still going to call it Tales of Destiny 2, or something else?
It's not looking good. As I understand it, Tales of Destiny megabombed in the US, which meant no sequel. Tales of Destiny got remade as a Director's Cut; it and Destiny 2 are both available for PS2 in Japan. I have both. They look cool (and I heard they handle Leon better), but I haven't given them the attention they deserve yet. Destiny 2's been out way too long to be a contender for importing.

For what it's worth, I was similarly disappointed when I found out about Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage, a direct sequel to Phantasia (which is my favorite of the series), which came out for GBA in Japan and didn't come stateside. I've tried slogging through the game, but it's a Tales SRPG and my Japanese reading speed isn't fast enough for that volume of text yet. :(

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Calaveron posted:

So that's four games set in the Tethe'alla/Sylvarant universe?
Five, actually. I don't know what the "canonical importance" is of each of the five titles, though, especially since only three came to North America. Narikiri Dungeon and Summoner's Lineage both seem to contain PCs from Tales of Phantasia, though.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Some guy in the PS3 thread said a PS3 version of Vesperia was announced, with new content. Woo!

Also, the fourth character poll is finished. The pretty boys continue to dominate...
First Eternal Sonata gets the port with more content, now this! I knew I picked the right console!

Next is Last Remnant, right? ... Right? ... :(

EDIT: On the other hand, I did get dicked on the Fallout 3 expansions...

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

I finally got Tales of Vesperia PS3 delivered. I've never played it on the 360, so I can't really compare, but it sure seems like an AAA Tales game so far. It still has niggling problems that Abyss did concerning 3D movement, the delay after leaving free run before you can do anything drives me a little crazy, and sometimes my attack strings end up pointing in the wrong direction, making me look like an idiot and/or get my rear end killed.

Anyway it is reminding me of how much I love Tales games, and making me excited about Tales of Graces again, even though my Wii has been collecting dust in my closet for months now.
So I have a question for you or anyone else. When I play Japanese games, I pretty much depend on being able to slow the dialogue to a halt whenever I want. My reading is a gently caress of a lot stronger than my listening, but I also tend to translate extremely slowly. I'm thinking of importing this instead of buying the localized 360 version, both because I'm a stickler for playing the maximum-content version of any game I play and because my Japanese has been rusting like crazy lately and I could use the practice. Is it possible to play this game if I have to stop to translate each text box? Will the dialogue ever auto-scroll or anything like that?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Skits auto-scroll, but I guess you could hit start during them to pause and read slowly. Nothing else auto-scrolls as far as I know.

edit: the fact that you are translating is your biggest problem though. Keep practicing and someday you'll suddenly realize that you don't have to do that anymore.
Yeah, I know, which just frustrates me even more because I also know I'm not there yet. :argh:

Welp, I'm going for it. I need the practice. I think I'll try this one without writing anything down just to see if I can reach the point that you mentioned. Thanks for the info!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Speaking of which, as I understand it, these games all take place in the same world:

Tales of Phantasia
Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage

Are there any other games that take place in that world that we know of? I've been playing Phantasia PSX myself and I've been considering going through all of these; I need the Japanese practice anyway and my memory of Symphonia 1 is really hazy. Are there any other games in the worlds of Sylvarant/Tethe'alla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Well, Tales games aren't exactly known for their AMAZING STORY and BREATHTAKING PLOT TWISTS. I'm just hoping they don't leave you with such a small party. Only six playable characters by end game? That's low
You know, it's strange. Normally, with RPGs, I think that more playable characters are always better; I love the Suikoden games and Chrono Cross partially because of this. It's even better if most of them tie into the story, which is why I love Final Fantasy VI and Valkyrie Profile. With that said, even though I love it when Tales games have a lot of playable characters, my favorite Tales game is PSX Phantasia, and it only has six. I think it's because they're all so completely different from each other in function and skills.

As for Eternia, I remember not liking its playable characters nearly as much. I liked the designs for the three "other" characters, but that game didn't appeal to me as much as Phantasia.