Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

I'm replaying Abyss right now, right before the last boss and as this is my second time through I've been doing a bunch of sidequests I missed like getting the flightstones, Muei Fire 2 and also Muei Wing which is easily missed. I've been having even more fun with the battle system this time, unlocking longer combo AD Skills and being able to chain base to arcane and so on. All I wish is that the story in general was better but it's still tolerable by jrpg standards and the characters (mostly Jade, Luke and Asch) are interesting and are developed well through the story. My biggest problem is that the whole middle section of the story is complete nonsense and nothing that happens ever has any weight and also the Order of Lorelei's command structure makes no sense whatsoever.

Kauka posted:

Uhm I'm not really sure to be honest. I know I played Tales of Phantasia, and maybe Symphonia.

Just so you know Phantasia doesn't count, the battle system is antiquated compared to the modern Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia system or any of the others and the game isn't really enjoyable anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

Phantasia is fine so long as you're not playing the godawful GBA port.

Well if you're playing the PSX version then it's way better than Destiny but it's still not worth it unless you've already played the better Tales games. Eternia is the earliest one I'd recommend playing to someone who isn't familiar with the games and even then Abyss or Symphonia are much better.

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

grantsnx posted:

Yes a lot of them are really sympathetic. Largo is killed by his own daughter and you basically murder Arietta's mom, then her later (she's only a 16 year old girl.)

Then you have Van, who instead of having a believable motive for wanting to create the replica world and destroy the old one has the characters repeatedly point out that he believes what he's doing is right and so on. Not only that, but you find out his reasons like a third of the way through the game and then when you think he's dead he comes back to do more of the same.

I don't like the God-Generals either though, or any of the other villains from the series.

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

BurningCourage posted:

The closest we've gotten to an English ToD PS2 is the Phantasian Productions guy doing a test screen to prove that he could do it eventually :(

Speaking of him, the ToP PS1 script that was the last roadblock in his epic struggle to get his ToP patch done is 100% complete, now he just has to edit and test it.

http://www.tales-cless.org/

I got the Director's Cut SE ToD off Ebay because I liked the box and felt like buying something exotic (ie. in Japanese since I'm some sort of otaku human being). It's way too complicated though, there's a bunch of stuff you can stick on your Swordian for upgrades and all the items and artes and everything mean you have to keep looking at the translations (or running my monitor in that splitscreen type thing)

I might get Destiny 2 some time since that's their second project although I expect I won't be playing it until 2020. Also Rebirth if they ever get to that.

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

mune posted:

:words:

Personally, even if the rest of the game was really bad, I'd still enjoy it for the battle system and all the extra stuff you can do. It stays fun for the whole of the game because even the second time through you'll be figuring out new stuff, getting new AD skills and doing side-quests that might have been missed the first time. I just got Jade's forbidden fonic artes and Meteor Storm is awesome although I'd hate to have searched for them without a guide. Abyss is the only RPG I've ever played that took me longer the second time because of all the extra stuff I neglected first time through.

also one of the reasons I like Abyss much more than Symphonia is because of the awful dungeons and puzzles in the latter. Abyss is more straightforward and just lets you run around fighting things until you get to the end of the dungeon. I dread going through those sewers again if I ever want to replay Symphonia

hope you are ok fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 21, 2008

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

I liked Symphonia, but had the same complaints (re: story) that everyone else does. Are the other games in the series mostly similar? If I want to play another game in the series, would it be best to go with Phantasia, Destiny, Abyss, or another one?

Definitely Abyss, it's basically more of the same but slightly improved. I'd only really recommend the other games if you've finished both of those and enjoyed them.

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

Where is the tales of rebirth love?

There's been no western release or translation of Rebirth, which is a shame because I really want to play it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

Yeah, I thought that was pretty clever too. Also, I don't understand all the poo poo Luke gets. He's an arse at first, but it's amusing, and he turns out to be one of the most well-developed characters in any videogame ever. Luke was much more likeable than Yuri imo.