Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Well, try to equip everyone with a Devil Arm. Can you? If so, then ok, maybe you had already spoken with Abyssion and he's waiting for you in hte very bottom of the Shadow Temple.

One thing to note is that Zelos has TWO devils arms. Even though Kratos and Zelos use the same weapons, there's one for each of them.

Also, I thought Abyssion was a really lovely optional boss. I know he's trying to sound all deep-voiced and EVIL, but he just sounds like he's mumbling and I can't understand a word he's saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Cless Alvein posted:

The biggest problem I had with the GBA port is the fact that the translation was so terrible. Cless Alvein somehow became Cress Albane. Don't really care if that is what it was supposed to translate to because Cress is retarded name.

All the other Tales games call him Cress, too. I'm not sure if he makes a cameo in Destiny, but he's an optional boss fight in Eternia. I've only seen him as Cless in deJap's translation.

Cless Alvein posted:

Beyond that they some how translated ,"Ragnarok" to "Kangaroo". How they did this, I have no goddamn idea. They cut out the opening song for some reason and the voice acting is pretty terrible and voice acting normally never bothers me. I've played through the SNES and GBA versions and currently playing through the PSX version when I have the time. I think I like the SNES one the best just for the DeJap translation. DeJap seems to have gotten it right in the fact that they had to change the script occasionally so that it made sense to the people who were now going to be reading it. Besides, I bet Arche really does gently caress like a tiget!

The rest of this is spot-on, DeJap did a way better job with rephrasing things so it makes sense when needed. That last line could have been phrased differently, but I can ignore it. The rest is great.

also holy poo poo your username

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

If the wikipedia entry is to be trusted, isn't the DeJap translation grossly incorrect as well? As in, supposedly the meanings of a lot of conversations are changed completely as well as containing a lot of unnecessary profanity? I know a lot of people played the DeJap version first and have some sort of attachment to it, but it seems like only the PSX translation is closest to the original while still made to sound as natural as possible to a native English speaker.

There was only a little unnecessary profanity (I think twice?), but for the most part they did a really good job writing it. Overall better than the GBA version at least. I haven't played the PSX one, though.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

DontDateRobots! posted:

How is Tales of Eternia? I've been meaning to play it for a while, and my sister has a copy of the psp port i could borrow. Is the battle system as clunky as Phantasia? I'm assuming it has random battles; if so, how frequent are they? Are there any skits?

I don't know how it is on PSP but if it's like the PSX version then it's a blast. The battles are 2D like phantasia, but they're faster-paced and offer a lot more control (get the Manual item at the dojo right at the beginning). It's pretty much the opposite of "clunky." The battle doesn't pause for spells and many can actually be avoided by moving out of the way. On the PSX version you could have up to four players. The harder modes improve the enemy behaviors rather than JUST increasing HP or enemy stats. There's lots of secret poo poo to find too. Random battles are pretty frequent but can be finished fairly quickly on the easier difficulties - holy bottles are your friend in dungeons though.

It's my favorite in the series :shobon:

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Yeah. I think called it "Tales of the Loading Screen".

Maybe I just got used to it, but I didn't have any problems with loading screens during Abyss.

MY problem was with the fact that the plot just kept stopping me. SO many times, it's like "Oh no, the bad guys know where we are!" and then nameless NPCs are like "QUICK, get out of here! We'll hold them off!" and then another NPC who was just introduced was like "I'll hold them back!!" and it's like COME ON, let me fight them! I just want to play, why do you guys keep sacrificing yourselves, I don't even know you! Let me play the game!

When the game lets you play it, it's really good, but it doesn't seem like it really wants you to play all that badly.

My other problem with the game was empty rooms. I'm in the Daath, on the upper floor. I'm going to go to the library place through one of the doors. Do I REALLY need FOUR empty, identical hallways between me and the library? These hallways don't server ANY purpose other than to make it take longer to get where I want to go.

I DREADED every time we had to go to Belkend because, invariably, we'd have to go into that research place. That place was just a maze of empty rooms, and each time I'd go there I'd wind up wandering around for a good ten minutes trying to figure out which of the identical rooms it wanted me to go through. That place should have been four rooms large, TOPS.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 27, 2010

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Woodtopian posted:

If anyone's still looking for a copy of Vesperia, Amazon has them in stock now. $29.99.

edit: There's like no hope of Vesperia PS3 in English at this point, right? I think I'm going to jump on this one.

man why the gently caress won't they ship it to canada? I haven't had any problems ordering video games from them before (even when they had special deals on)

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

ok I started Abyss, and I'm wondering if there's a way to skip through dialogue quickly like there was in Vesperia? I am playing on hard so I'll probably die a lot and don't want to sit through this poo poo over and over.

Also the little dude that shoots fire is so annoying, holy crap

I found hard mode to be waaay too difficult on my first playthrough, the enemies will quickly overpower you and you'll be doing single-digit damage unless you grind. In fact I'd argue the only real difference between normal and hard is how much you need to grind so frankly you should probably go through it on normal mode. If you play on Hard I almost guarantee you'll quit at Choral Castle (really nasty team-boss, even with two players and 2X experience mod it still took us a decent amount of grinding and quite a few tries to beat).

This isn't like Tales of Eternia or Symphonia where you can just play harder to overcome the challenges of a harder difficulty - it's all in the numbers.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 11, 2010

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

I'm really getting spoiled now that I finally have a copy of Vesperia to play. I'm really digging the art style - it's like they took what they were trying to do with Symphonia's style and actually succeeded.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Pretty sure they decided to make the DSi region locked so they'll probably do the same to the 3DS too.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Maybe we can get this thread renamed to something more fitting, like "Tales of Depression Megathread"

Tales of Despairia

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

I'll be playing through Abyss a third time on Unknown at some point.

I tried playing Vesperia on Unknown. gently caress Unknown.

I guess I was supposed to inherit skills and arts and end-game equipment to do it. I figured "Well, the enemies are going to be tougher, I'll just have to play better." I put on a 2x Experience Mod just to cut down on the grinding I'd have to do.

Now I'm playing on hard. It's much better this way.

Opening castle area:
On hard mode I had about 600 life, took ~30 damage per hit and the enemies surround me more so I have to play smart. Enemies had like 1400 life, took about ~60 per hit.
On Unknown I had about 600 life, took ~250-300 damage per hit. Enemies now only take 1 damage.

I was hoping it would scale a little better. Hard is a step up, but rather than being just one more step up Unknown is a "gently caress you". It seems like it's stuck between two un-fun places: Annihilating everything with end-game stuff or being unable to hurt anything even a little (and getting annihilated in turn).

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Mayor McCheese posted:

Unknown is brutal. It's not as bad if you have someone to play with, though. A good chunk of the fights could be won by pissing off the boss; running around the screen screaming; while you let your casters take pot shots in between their own running around & screaming.

You nailed it though. I think the devs wanted you to carry over your gear/abilities/arts with the 10x experience mod. Even with all of that the game loves to toss crazy bullshit your way.

Been playing on Hard mode and even with 2x Experience, 2x Gald, Super Overlimit Charge, 99 Item Capacity and Skill SP 1, the game still demands much more than unmodified Normal mode. Turns out the 99 Item thing has kept us from ever being in any real "game-over" danger most of the time (although we have still KO'd sometimes and it's a godsend for cooking) but the battles have still been very intense and awesome.

We just beat Gusios and he's the first boss that we didn't have any problems with whatsoever (partially because of all the skills, mystic arts, the occasional chaincasting of Meteors). It's been pretty consistent the whole way through though and I'm looking forward to eventually attempting the 200-man melee.

I'm excited for the bonus bosses they put in (as cool as it is to fight Dhaos again, I'm glad somebody finally remembered Shizel)

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Megalixir posted:

So what becomes of Vesperia for PS3 though?

Tales of Faces

starring:

Click here for the full 1024x573 image.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 25, 2011

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Any tips or what not I should know about before getting started on Abyss?

Numbered Fonons = Elements. Whenever they refer to The Fifth Fonon or using The Fifth Fonon, it means fire or using fire. Each element has its own number, it's not actually important to know the numbers, but it's a lot less confusing once you equate fonons with elements because they use the word Fonon a lot.

Fonons are actually kind of everything, so they might say "This is a concentration of fonons" which means a concentrated mass of that element. You are even made of fonons (of varying kinds) and your "fonon frequency" is the frequency of your atoms I guess? It's sort of a catch-all magical thing that usually refers to elements but can also refer to other world-poo poo or whatever they want it to mean.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Calaveron posted:

:psyduck:
Man, aer and blastia are sort of easier to understand.

First Fonon: Darkness
Fifth Fonon: Fire, etc.
Seventh Fonon: MAGICAL MYSTICAL MYSTERY!!
Fonic Arte: Spells
Fonic Hymn: A song that uses seventh fonons to SPECIAL MAGIC
Concentrated fonons: concentrated mass of an element
Field of Fonons: Concentrated fonons in a circle in battle, enhances various artes.
Fonons in your body: Atoms I guess? Also applies to objects
Fonon Frequency: The sonic frequency of fonons.
Hyperresonance: Fonons interfering with each other based on frequency, makes CRAZY THINGS HAPPEN
Fonic research: research involving fonons
Fomicry: fonic research that attempts to use fonic research to duplicate things exactly.
Sephiroth Tree: Special place where memory particles gather
Memory Particles: Special fonons containing "the planet's memory"
Planet Storm: A large mass of fonons and memory particles that flow in and out of the world's poles.

The Score: religion, basically destiny written on fonstones.
Fonstones: ancient stones containing The Score.
Yulia: the one who read (wrote?) the score back in ancient times
Lorelei: Basically God I guess, a sentient mass of concentrated seventh fonons. If the game had summons, Ifrit would be for fifth, Rem for the Sixth (light) and Lorelei for the seventh. Note: this game does not actually have summons.

God this poo poo is indecipherable. They're all fonons. All of them.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Oh, and uh, in lesser news Examiner is reporting PS3 Vesperia is coming out in December

:stare:

He does just say "Tales" so it could in fact refer to Tales of Graces F and confirms a December release date for it, but this could be a slip of the tongue for something not meant to be mentioned yet. E3's gonna be exciting this year. See you June 7th!

Graces F isn't mentioned anywhere in that article so now I'm doing the stupid retard thing and getting my hopes up for Vesperia PS3 :allears:

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I don't see anything in the article about any ps3 Tales, just TOV on Games on Demand.

It would be so great to get TOV for the ps3 here, but I doubt we will..oh well a man can dream :sigh:

Tales of Vesperia was released today for Games on Demand on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace. At a price of $29.99, it is slightly more expensive than buying an actual physical copy of the game ($27.08 including tax at Amazon) but as you can purchase it anytime on demand and not have to wait for shipping, it is more convenient.

Tales of Vesperia is considered by many to be one of the best Japanese role-playing games released this generation. With its beautiful anime art style, Tales of Vesperia is definitely a game that any JRPG fan should take a look at. It received a 79 aggregate review score on Metacritic but then again Lost Odyssey (another great JRPG on Xbox 360) only got a 78. Tales is scheduled to be released on PlayStation 3 this December.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Kirios posted:

Based upon that I'm pretty sure they were referencing Tales of Graces F. And even then, you're speculating on one throw-away sentence at the end of an article of one website. No jumping to conclusions, shall we? Tales fans, above all others, should know how that ends up.

Yeah I am speculating but suggesting it's Graces F may be a bigger jump than Vesperia. Nowhere in the article does it reference Graces F or in fact any other Tales game at all other than Vesperia. Not sure how you can reach that conclusing "based on that".

It's not really a throw-away sentence so much as the last line in a paragraph about "Here's some more background about Tales of Vesperia. Tales of Vesperia is great. Tales of Vesperia is a game everyone should check out. Tales of Vesperia got this score. Tales is coming out of PS3 in December". So they're talking about another game there at the end suddenly?

I just want to be hopeful drat you Tales you're turning me into a weird obsessive nerd :(

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

victrix posted:

Is there an Abridged Idiots Guide to the Tales Series or something?

Spiffo's Abridged Guide To The English Tales Games Or Whatever

Tales of Phantasia (various systems): DeJap made a translated SNES ROM that's floating around. There's also a Japanese-only PSX rom (that apparently has a translation now too?) and an official English translation for Game Boy Advance. The SNES version is easiest to play out of the three (the GBA port is baaad) vvvvvvv what that guy said, however the game is dated as heck. It might be worth a look if you're bored but it grinds on and on sometimes.

Tales of Destiny (PSX): Plays a lot like Phantasia. I thought the plot was really boring, not everybody agrees. They did this Swordian thing where the Important Characters get special elemental swords they stick with for the whole game and gives them magic. They also included a ring accessory which lets other players join the fray - you have to find them, though.

Tales of Eternia (PSX): Moves a lot faster and cleaner than the other two. Game no longer pauses for magic spells, and multiplayer is available to everyone right away. It aged much better than Destiny because of these things. Pretty small pool of party members. I have a Let's Play going on over here.

Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube, PS2): Introduced 3D battling. Very large cast (8 members, technically 9), but a few of the characters are straight-up broken in terms of being so much better than everyone else. The pacing for the story is really bad. Multiplayer can be a shitshow because the camera focuses only on Player 1 and there's no minimap like in Eternia - the Japan-only PS2 port apparently fixed that problem.

Tales of Legendia (PS2): Haven't played it more than a few minutes, what I have played was poopy and dumb, I hear it was worked on by a different team. Also it's single-player only.

Tales of the Abyss (PS2, 3DS): Pretty well-done character and plot work, but the pacing is glacial. Battles are 3D, introduced Free Run which makes it so much better. Also self-activated overlimit to go "super" (Symphonia had this but it was automatic) The load times on the PS2 version can be pretty brutal, but I understand the 3DS port fixed that.

Tales of Vesperia (360): Really well done, nice big cast, great pacing. My favorite out of the lot of them. Pretty much every character can be interesting and fun. Best protagonist of the lot. Overlimit is a shared gauge. The skits IIRC are finally voiced in English, which adds SO MUCH. Anyone who hasn't played it, for god's sake what is wrong with you. You have though so you're good.

Tales of Graces (PS3): Pretty rad. The TP gauge was thrown out in favor of the CC system, and it's really neat. All the playable characters are fun and engaging (there are 6). I thought the protagonist was pretty likeable. The main plot gets a bit groan-worthy, but it has an absolute shitload of optional skits and content and it's usually hilarious. wdarkk has a fresh LP thread going on as well.

Any other titles aren't on this list because they're bad or Japan-only or I forgot

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 21, 2013

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Cool, thanks for the info.

Nate RFB posted:

the DeJap translation is pretty cringe inducing.
It's better than the war of kangaroo

I'm setting the bar pretty high there, I know

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Tales of Destiny 2(PS2)

I guess one other thing I forgot is that Tales of Eternia (PSX) was released stateside as Tales of Destiny II. It's a good game but if someone wanted to find it, it might be under that name instead. I am never calling it that.

Rumor has it that the namechange happened to better associate it with the Tales of Destiny brand (first Tales game released stateside) as well as to avoid a dispute with Mattel (who owns the He-Man universe, their world is Eternia also)

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Overbite posted:

Usually I don't like playing as the casters but she doesn't really do that much casting.

You really need to read my post about B Arte chaining, Pascal does so much casting and it completely crushes everyone (the tips apply to everyone, even Malik and Cheria)

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Pooptimus Prime posted:

This reminds me, do you guys think we'll get a Tales game with online co-op anytime soon? I feel like the battle system would be perfect to be able to play online with people.

Sure, play some Tales of Eternia Online! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

PotU posted:

Can someone tell me how Tales of the Abyss ends? Last time I played I think I activated one of the towers to stop the world from falling down or something. I definitely fought as that one guy who was the brother of the lady and all that. Don't really remember much, but I can't bring myself to play this anymore.

After activating all of the Sephiroth Trees, you go down the Absorbtion Gate to fight Van. You beat him, he falls into the planet storm and you lower all the lands.

Van sings the hymns of Yulia to absorb Lorelei, the seventh fonon thingy. The miasma comes back, Hod gets recreated or something, there are replicas everywhere and everyone's getting really sick. Asch goes to sacrifice himself and the replicas to save the world, you go as well, Asch survives and Van's floating fortress thingy crashes to the ground. You go fight him there and Tear sings all the hymns to free Lorelei. You stop Van from creating the replica world, regular world goes on without the score, it's been a while so somebody's going to go ahead and sum this up better than me but you get the idea.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

So, as a person who liked Symphonia, adored Vesperia and enjoyed Abyss, would I like Legendia? It's sounding like the combat is radically different, different enough to almost not be Tales combat?

There's no way to tell. It's so incredibly different from the others that there's no reference point (it's even back to the 2D system, and single-player to boot).

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Endorph posted:

Is there any way to beat Hubert in the skit next to the dried up well after you recruit him? I keep trying. Sometimes I get a decent run in, but then his Eleth gauge will fill up and I'll have to DANCE LIKE A drat and now I'm dead (seriously what is he saying in that move)

If you can beat him, is there any trick to it?

Took me a few tries but yeah, he's beatable even on Hard.

Getting a red charge helps a lot, since it makes your next attacks unblockable. That's how I dealt with most of the duels.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

mirarant posted:

Any move that can launch him is good, I think the fire skill named Infernal or Inferno something can juggle him. Just dodge him until you can launch him with a skill then dodge again, repeat until victory.

I'd argue that Infernal Torrent is like one of the best B Artes in the game - the fact that it's extra effective against humanoids is a bonus

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Stupid Tales of the Abyss forgot that we were playing clear data. One day Jade's Indignation simply stopped working. Is this a known bug?

edit: we still have other bonuses, like "hold 20 or each item." It's just the secondary mystics have vanished.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 10, 2013

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

pretend to care posted:

I have recently started Vesperia. I don't want to follow some sperg lord's 200mb guide (seriously, the discrepancy in sheer volume of some of the completed ones on GameFAQs is ridiculous), but what should I know in advance about this game so I don't do something critically stupid and miss out on rare items or whatever?

There's a forest near Dahngrest. Grind out some insect horns there and do everything in your power to craft the Moon Selector (I think it needs insect horns, look it up in the shops when you get there).

The Moon Selector lets you switch controlled party members in the middle of battle. It can be useful, especially if you switch over to another character to manually put them into overlimit. Overlimit basically makes your basic combos infinitely long and reduces casting time to zero (plus other effects depending). Being able to turn off AI overlimit and still be able to swap over them and manually give them a boost is really cool.

Also when you reach the desert, grind out some Fire Stones and Ice Stones. You won't regret it. Non-plot spoiler: There's a day/night mechanic on your first time through there that makes Ice Stones much easier to get. That mechanic disappears once you get through the first time and they're a pain to find after. The stones will let you boost your over-limit ability even higher right away

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 3, 2013

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

jtm33 posted:

Yep I just finished the childhood section. I played as Sophie for that part of the game so I found her healing arte even though it didn't mention it. Just got introduced to B-artes. I can't really figure out exactly what causes those big CC recharges yet. I know you get +1 for sidestepping and such but I have seen things like +5 come up. All the battles have been pretty easy so far so I just need more time to figure this stuff out.

Keep charging in mind when defending as well. If you stand and defend you'll get a charge - pushing it all the way to red means you're guaranteed to break through an enemy's defense even if they're blocking, so this can come in handy if an enemy is getting all defensive. Blocking is also a reasonably safe way to recover CC, so do that too.

If you're playing any kind of caster, try out B-Arte Chaining. Basically, any move that you need to charge up to use will charge faster if used farther into a combo. This speeds up Sophie's "Hold attack" charge-up moves, Sophie's First Aid, as well as every spell in the game. If it's got a charge-up, it charges faster at the end of a combo. This also applies to your healers/spellcasters as the game goes on.

This is essential to using (Later character spoiler) Pascal. Her A-Artes are long range but kind of weak, whereas her B-Artes are much stronger spell abilities that hit the area around her. In the hands of a computer, she'll run up, start casting a spell and then get hit. In the hands of a player (Once you get her some decent CC) you'll start blasting dudes with A Artes, use her Flux Form or Magnetic Gate ability to close the distance and then chain that into a zone of death all around you with her B Artes. <--- a very very brief how-to on the most fun-to-play character in the game.

A lot of people never learn about B-Arte chaining because they play as Asbel the entire time and he has zero moves which this applies to. It makes the caster-like character incredibly engaging, both in multiplayer but even just on your own.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 6, 2013

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ruta posted:

This is from memory, but I believe her Recover and Remedy Adapt and Master titles reduce casting time. It's not that I don't remember if the title says that or not. What I don't remember is if it really applies universally to all spells.

I think you can push square button (or one of the buttons anyway) to see all active effects/modifications to your moves. Casting time reductions would show up under there, so best way to check is to see if that's listed under just Recover, or whether it's all spells.

Alternately, I think modifications/upgrades also show up under a character's Status screen, so check there too. Those would apply across-the-board. I should check this when I get home because Cheria's a fun character and that would be rad.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

So, I've finally been able to get back to playing RPGs again now that the semester is over and am finishing up collecting the materials for all the dolls. To break up the tedium, I've been playing with all the characters pretty much and I've really just now gotten a real grasp on how to play Pascal and good god is she fun to play. Why didn't I know this sooner? Now I just need to find a way to get her minimum CC up so she's fun to play with immediately at the start of battle.

I didn't even know about B-Arte chaining until my second playthrough, after playing as Pascal a whole lot.

Asbel never uses it so you never learn it (except in one of those tips that appears after battle once)

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Momomo posted:

To this day, the only time I have ever used an All-Divide was for that one part of Graces that essentially requires it (the exploding robot). Making a fight last twice as long does not appeal to me in the slightest.

Yeah, All-Divides in Tales games are pretty much only for optional superstuff. Since healing is %-based, you basically get a humongous amount of staying power at the cost of making the battle last twice as long (from the point you use it anyway).

I never even cared for All-Divides in Graces, the only time I ever used them was for some ridiculousness in Eternia on the highest diffculty, and I think the optional superboss Nebilim in Abyss on Hard.

In any Tales game's Normal mode you pretty much never need to use one (and you can't really use one against Kurt because of his respawning minions)

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

wdarkk posted:

It seems like whenever I play Pascal, my A-arte combo knocks the enemy out of the way of my B-arte followup.

I find that her side A attacks tend to keep them closer for follow-ups.

CPU Pascal is the worst character in the game, and Player Pascal is the best.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Calaveron posted:

I assume the Bladed Horn Boar or whatever is the incredible rear end in a top hat boss of the game, right?

No, that's another boss (I think the next one?) Is the boar before or after the Valkines?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

For example, I'll run up to an enemy and hit them with my 1CC initial attack. Presumably then follow it up with a 2CC. But at that point, I'll have 0CC so the combo stops.

Also I feel really stupid to ask this, but where are the B-Artes? The Artes menu only shows A-Artes. Sophie has some sort of First Aid skill which I think is a B-Arte, but I can't seem to see where it's allocated.

I could also really use a free run ability, which I'm guessing I'll unlock later like in other Tales games.

You're not far enough in the game to really take advantage of it, but when the prologue is over you'll have more CC and moves to play with.

Also, try switching the controlled character once in a while. Don't feel like you have to just stick with Asbel - he's actually the most boring character to play. Try playing Sophie for a bit!

You actually do have Free Run. It's on L2. It gradually consumes CC while you're free running, though, so you were probably empty when you tried to use it to get away.

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, I'm still in the prologue. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing things because I know I saw Sophie using "First Aid" a lot during the first "boss" fight. I could have sworn I bought something called the Manual Manual but it didn't seem to actually do anything. The reason I asked is that thus far there have been a fair amount of battles where it would have been useful to approach an enemy from a different angle (afforded by free run) so that I would not start attacking that enemy while getting surrounded by the enemies I wasn't targeting.

First Aid is pretty much the only B-Arte in the prologue. Asbel and everyone else gets proper B-Artes later on.

The Manual Manual let's you turn yourself to Manual mode. If you are at a distance with Semi-Auto, attacking will run you up to enemies, attack them, and run back. In Manual Mode, you'd just attack on the spot. It gives you complete control.

Try Sophie, she hits way harder than the children do and has way more CC to play with.
Fun fact: First Aid charges up faster when you use it at the end of a combo!!
Funner fact literally everything in the game with a charge bar does this too (every spell, everything). This is the key to playing a caster. Keep it in mind if you have a friend who wants to play one (or if you want to try a caster yourself - you'll still be up in there fighting with the rest).
edit unfun fact: the AI will never do this

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 15, 2013

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Caphi posted:

In Graces? You can chain anything to anything. Asbel just has state transition moves in between, so if you want to chain from B (drawn) to A (sheathed), you have to either go through the incredibly slow basic sheathe opener or use one of the late 4-CC B-artes that sheathe on their last hit.

There are also those titles for "Used {Arte} X number of times" that grant a skill letting you hold the button for an additional attack. That'll extend the move into an A-Arte, effectively sheathing you again.

edit: I never worried about that stuff at all though because Asbel's so simple that you never have to

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Graces has definitely become more enjoyable now that I have more CC to work with. I tried playing as Sophie like someone suggested but I just wasn't having nearly as much fun as I was with Asbel; maybe when I unlock more Artes I'll give her another try. There just seemed to be too many battles where she was kind of useless because her available Artes did jack against the regular enemies.

Sophie's style definitely has her moving around more than Asbel. Some of her B-Artes are pretty hit-or-miss but she also gets some "Hold the attack button between hits for this attack" that are pretty awesome.

As you get more and more party members, keep trying them. If/When you try out the staff-person, remember that arte-chaining thing I mentioned before - her spells are close-range but hit really hard. Arte-chaining lets them come out much faster. When you find a sweet spot, you'll be able to bust them out over and over, keeping the enemy/enemies pinned until you run out of CC.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Your favorites? Or Namco's favorites?

Basically a lot of Cress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Million Ghosts posted:

It's sad cause I would probably still play it.

I got Xillia the other day, I'm still in the tutorial dungeon cause I promise my girlfriend we'd play it together :v:. Is the partner AI as awful as it was in Graces? I swear those fuckers didn't even know blocking or dodging existed, and it made the endgame bosses such a pain. Basically, am I gonna have to babysit everyone with revives as much this time?

No, so far we've found the partner stuff to be pretty good. Whoever you're linked to will do a pretty good job backing you up. Not sure about the caster AI though. My GF is playing Milla linked with Jude, whereas I'm playing a caster linked with another caster. So my partner always stays close to me.

So far I'm finding the best way to play is to only have Milla/Jude team up (meaning the AI has to take one of them). Between all six characters and the combinations between them, like half of them belong to Milla+Jude :(

A good thing though is that when it comes to Resurrection/Life Bottles, the AI will stay on top of that poo poo.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 22, 2013