Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Vesperia is the first Tales game I ever played and it's officially one of my most favorite RPGs now. I'll definitely be taking a look at any future Tales games if they keep the battle system as good as Vesperia's.

Also, Yuri is one of the best JRPG protagonists ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
^^^Actually the insta-phrase is dependent on the spell. For example, she says "blah blah blah" for Tidal Wave, but she'll shout "Meow!" for Gold Cat. :v:

Ice Blue posted:

What do you mean by breaking the game in overlimit? Is she that ridiculously powerful? Also, I kinda like Luke's style a bit more for some reason. I don't know why. I usually use both him and Guy in the party so it's not really a disadvantage for me to use him.

Rita's L3 Overlimit means free insta-cast spells. Couple this with your 3 AI partners doing nothing but taunting, and using the right skills, you can have infinite Overlimit and chain cast anything into oblivion in one combo.

It's also how you Grade farm.

EDIT: sort of beaten, but not.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 10, 2008

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Xythar posted:

Considering that it lets you spam your artes with zero charge/cooldown time (and thus, link anything to anything), use burst artes and mystic artes, and gives you unlimited TP at level 3 and invincibility at level 4 - yes, it definitely is. Overlimit basically breaks the game with Rita.

Plus, Yuri gets skills to AUTOMATICALLY go into a free overlimit depending on how many hits in a combo he has, and it has no limit so if you keep a combo running, you just go back into Overlimit after the requisite number of hits again. Why, just today, since I was bored, I figured out a way to do a 250+ hit combo with him just by abusing Divine Wolf- Blaze and his free-run attack that stands up fallen enemies. 700,000 damage on the final boss :iamafag:

Xythar posted:

That's true also although I never managed to get any one of those symbols other than Fleck (the attack one) and even then only at the very end of the game. It's kinda hard with the limited SP you get on your first playthrough.

The crest you got depended on the number and types of skills you equipped. The best one was when you equipped enough of every type of skill, it increased your time spent in Overlimit.but that one was really only possible in the high hundreds, or if you se all skills to 1 point in new game+

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, they even have one of those clichéd conversations before fighting the boss of that area ("I learned I want to protect the world because I care about my friends bla bla bla", stuff like that).

This is probably to make you believe that it was the end of the game, so the next part would come as a surprise.

God knows that boss fight at the end of the shrine might as well have been a final boss seeing as how much he enjoyed to throw around his Mystic Arte that was pretty much guaranteed to bring you down to nothing.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Kegwen posted:

Yeah, I managed to kill that Gigantor, but I went through most of my items in the process. I ended up running out of basically all useful items in the next room with four characters dead and, due to the water level, I was stuck. Fun times.

Fortunately, I'd saved after I beat the Gigantor. I'm heading back in now.

That Giganto is actually pretty weak. The problem is that it deflects normal attacks like crazy. :kratos:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Calaveron posted:

Which is the biggest problem in Zaude; running out of Orange Gels.
Also, those crab monsters are really loving strong. Sucks to get surrounded by them.
I've almost killed all GMs. I'm only missing Chimera Butterfly, Griffin, and Bruscis.
Karol's Valiant Swordsman title looks pretty cool, so looking forward to that.

Uh, that costume makes him look like a goofy nerd

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Xythar posted:

This is the entire point of costumes for Karol.

His Golden Soldier outfit is a cool reference and it looks good. :colbert:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Calaveron posted:

Reference to what?
Also, I wish the scene in Heliord with the girly dress was voiced.

Gilgamesh from Tower of Druaga. I do believe the Blue Crystal Rod is also a reference to it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Samurai Sanders posted:

Bandai Namco have revealed their secret weapon in the Tales of Hearts marketing campaign: mabo curry convenience store bentos! Nothing can stop the Tales juggernaut now.

Hey, that looks pretty good. Not 500 yen good though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Calaveron posted:

I just beat Tales of Vesperia and fought the Fell Arms boss. Got really lucky. Girlfriend and I managed to pull off Estelle's Eternal Support + Force Field combo so that battle was a joke.

I just played through Vesperia again with a friend as Yuri, and me playing Rita, and I don't give her nearly enough credit for being as broken as she is. Any non-humanoid boss gets completely locked down by Overlimit + Ground Dasher. Since it downs any enemy it can't lift, you're basically just beating the poo poo out of this boss that can't even stand up. Meanwhile, my friend on Yuri is just standing there preforming fatal strikes every three seconds as it's bouncing around. So awesome. :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I picked up Abyss a couple days ago and I just got to going to the zao ruins a second time. I gotta say that I love the FS Chamber business (I stuck a Grass Chamber into Steel as soon as I got one and have never taken it off) and I wish that a couple more of Luke's Artes made it into Yuri's repertoire. Overall, I'm really enjoying it.

However going from Vesperia's Overlimits to Abyss's Overlimits was a little confusing. :byodood:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Cliff posted:

Honestly, I haven't used Glory at all. I saw that it was on the armor, but then that there was those stat-lowering skills as well, so I let it go.

It's not like the game isn't easy enough anyway.

Also, there is a big problem with 10x experience: During a normal playthrough, bonus experience is equal to (2% of base experience) x (max chain), so you need a minimum 50-hit combo to double the experience game, not hard on most bosses.

With 10x experience on mania difficulty, my bonus experience is (16% base experience) x (max chain), meaning I need between 6 and 7 hits to double experience. I can usually get around a 30-hit combo each battle, which is obscene.

I just started chapter 6, and I've maxed out my characters. Battles get me nothing, combat isn't fun anymore, and I know the storyline. Bleah.

What's the level cap? It's 200 in Vesperia and even with 10x I was barely 100 when I did the EX Dungeon.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Holy poo poo I just figured out how Capacity Cores and AD Skills are connected and now I feel like a loving retard. :psyduck:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Please tell me there's an easy way to farm Grade in Abyss. I just finished my first playthrough, and I'm like 600~ Grade short of what I need just to carry over everything. I really don't want to the drat Cheagle Forest, throw it on Hard and fight 300 something fights.

Although that would get my Berserker title :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Eddain posted:

I used the Cheagle Forest method. With good enough weapons, you just need 1 hit to kill everything and you also build up your kill count as well. You get like 5.25 grade per encounter, so after 100 fights you get 500 grade.

I miss Rita already. :saddowns:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
The top 50 Tales characters as revealed at Jump Festa 2009:

quote:

1. Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)
2. Leon Magnus (Tales of Destiny)
3. Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss)
4. Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
5. Jade Curtiss (Tales of the Abyss)
6. Guy Cecil (Tales of the Abyss)
7. Kratos Aurion (Tales of Symphonia)
8. Zelos Wilder (Tales of Symphonia)
9. Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
10. Emil Castagnier (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World)
11. Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia)
12. Tear Grants (Tales of the Abyss)
13. Asch (Tales of the Abyss)
14. Stahn Aileron (Tales of Destiny)
15. Colette Brunel (Tales of Symphonia)
16. Reid Hershel (Tales of Eternia)
17. Estelle (Tales of Vesperia)
18. Spada Belforma (Tales of Innocence)
19. Bruiser Khang (Tales of Destiny)
20. Judas (Tales of Destiny 2)
21. Marta Lualdi (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World)
22. Presea Combatir (Tales of Symphonia)
23. Cless Alvein (Tales of Phantasia)
24. Sync (Tales of the Abyss)
25. Veigue Lungberg (Tales of Rebirth)
26. Chloe Valens (Tales of Legendia)
27. Judith (Tales of Vesperia)
28. Ion (Tales of the Abyss)
29. Celsius (General)
30. Flynn Scifo (Tales of Vesperia)
31. Kanonno Earhart (Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2)
32. Anise Tatlin (Tales of the Abyss)
33. Farah Oersted (Tales of Eternia)
34. Genis Sage (Tales of Symphonia)
35. Arche Klaine (Tales of Phantasia)
36. Kyle Dunamis (Tales of Destiny 2)
37. Richter Abend (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World)
38. Keele Zeibel (Tales of Eternia)
39. Jay (Tales of Legendia)
40. Senel Coolidge (Tales of Legendia)
41. Mao (Tales of Rebirth)
42. Ruca Milda (Tales of Innocence)
43. Dhaos (Tales of Phantasia)
44. Barbatos Goetia (Tales of Destiny 2)
45. Karol Capel (Tales of Vesperia)
46. Chester Barklight (Tales of Phantasia)
47. Natalia L.K. Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss)
48. Mieu (Tales of the Abyss)
49. Suzu Fujibayashi (Tales of Phantasia)
50. Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia)

http://symphonicheaven.com/news/tales/websites/tales-channel/4th-tales-of-ranking-contest-results

Yuri is number 1? I'm so surprised. :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Aaaaagh I don't know how I am ever going to beat Nebilim in ToTA on Very Hard without dedicating half the day to whittling down her HP and hoping my supply of TP recovery items lasts longer than she does.

That or getting another 50 or so levels.

640000 HP and any sort of physical attack barely does 30 damage are you f'in serious. :suicide:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Edward IV posted:

I know how you feel. I'm having a hard time trying to do it on Normal (I'm still on my first playthrough) with everyone approximately around Level 75 and equipped with the Colosseum weapons. Even when I use the All-Divide after taking her down to 50% HP, she throws out so many powerful Artes in such quick succession that completely wipes out my team and I can't keep up with my items.

I suppose this gives me a reason to keep on gathering Grade while I grind for more experience. Though I've already been through Eldrant forward and back on Hard at least four times and it's starting to wear thin.

I beat her my first time through at about 61 using Luke, Tear, Jade, and Guy just by running around as Tear and doing nothing but Ressurection. All her favorite spells beside Ground Dasher have a long enough window that you can get a cast in as long as Tear has her skills that speed up cast times and Rhythm. The Faerie Ring from the exhibition match helps too. And if she uses Blessed Drops in the right spot you can turn Resurrection into Revitalize and get more for your money. If you're feeling dangerous and have a Sunlight Chamber, you could Invoke Aqua and do it yourself.

Basically just run and cast and let the guys whittle her down while you stay the gently caress away and taunt while there's no one dead so you can throw in an Innocent Shine here and there. I really wish all the good Mystic Artes could be used more than once.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Eddain posted:

Also, what's the point in giving you a weapon with power equal to your kill count if the weapon doesn't transfer over to a New Game+? You tend to unlock the weapons so late into the game that you don't have a real chance to use them. The only Tales I've played where equipment was transferable was Vesperia, hence giving these "Nebilim" weapons some actual use (yeah your kill count was erased every time but cheesing the Coliseum can fix that if you like).

I thought this was pretty stupid too since half of the "super" Mystic Artes all required weapons you could only get in the last quarter of the game, and the best armor and dolls and accessories are all a pain in the rear end to get the items for.

EDIT:

OxMan posted:

For those of you that finished Tales of Vesperia, if I didn't do some of the boss special missions for the achievements, or bothered with using those item analyzation items, have I missed anything in-game other than achievements? Also, if I decide to new game +, will I be able to pick up everything I missed originally in a second play-through?

Also, when can I start backtracking through the world? I sold some of the most basic starter weapons and I want to backtrack to buy and learn their synthesis upgraded skills. I'm currently in that Caer-Basomething or other city, do I have much to go?

Finally, after I get the +1 version of a weapon, is it safe to sell it after I've learned all of its skills or are even those going to be needed later?

The point to doing all the Secret Missions is the bonus XP, items, and Yuri's True Knight costume. And yes NG+ is like starting a brand spanking new game, you can do everything and pick up everything again.

You can sort of start back tracking once you get the boat, which is shortly after the first "part" of the game. You'll know you're past the first part when you get the 100g Achievement. You'll need to back track anyways to start a couple important sidequests.

Never sell weapons. It's not worth it.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 7, 2009

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

wdarkk posted:

This is kind of traditional in JRPGs.

Not arguing that. I'm saying that it's irritating to have to get them all a second time.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

OxMan posted:

Thanks! What DOES carry over in an NG+ anyways?

Everything, as long as you got the Grade for it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Eddain posted:

Everything except Key Items, so don't plan on busting out Overlimit on the very first fight. Also, kill count doesn't transfer.

Ah, I forgot about that because you can synth pretty much everything again at the first shop. But you can't do the Overlimit ones because you need an Overlimit Duo, and you only get one of those at a certain point.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Calaveron posted:

Not to mention Mystic Artes in this game are ridiculously overpowered. At least in Symphonia 2 you need to be high-leveled for them to be as powerful as the ones in Vesperia.

They seem reasonably powerful enough. Yuri's isn't that great until you get Hit Plus, and Rita and Estelle's are one big hit. You might be thrown off by the Burst Artes you supplement them with, especially all of Rita's Drives which are ri-loving-diculous at level 4.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I did it! It took me three loving hours but I finally beat Nebilim on Very Hard! Did it at level 85, used up all my items, and had to get pretty goddamn tricky at the end, but I stomped her rear end. Man, I haven't had a boss fight that long and hard since the Hell Wyrm in FF12.

EDIT: I got 160 Grade for the fight just because of sheer FoF and Mystic Arte use :suicide:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Relambrien posted:

Don't worry, Luke gets better.

Marginally

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
You know, I really hope the next console Tales game has online co-op. I know with ToV that I would have really liked to hop in to some of my friend's games to play with them.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Eddain posted:

The problem with online co-op for Tales games is that there's just 1 guy controlling the on-field character and everyone else just participating in combat. When I played Tales with my roommate, I would be running around doing the quests and eventually my roommate would fall asleep from the sheer boredom of watching me progress through all the dialogue.

Really? Like I said waaaaay earlier, my fourth playthrough of ToV was playing Rita to my best friend's Yuri and I had no problem because he would consult me on where to go, or what to look for, or what items he should buy and synth, or even some plot questions, and I had no problem just sitting back and helping him the whole time.

Plus getting to play Rita the whole time was fun as hell.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Overbite posted:

Kinda. There's no sword dancer in Vesperia so you don't have to worry about that but a lot of the sidequests involve going back to towns at random times to start them. I got most of the side quests done without a guide just by going back to previous towns after every event.

Most of the time you can tell you'll get a sidequest is when there's an NPC standing around that is normally not there.

Here is a guide to get every Vesperia sidequest done in one go

Having completely beaten both Abyss and Vesperia, and completing every sidequest, I can honestly say that Abyss is the worst of the two offenders just because of the amount of stuff you lose when you start new game+. This means you have to do every sidequest over again, except ones for titles/costumes. Also the sidequests you can only finish on a second playthrough.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Xythar posted:

There's no sword dancer but there is Judith's Friggin' Spear which is almost as bad.

Brionac is loving awful because half the related cutscenes make no mention to them and involve Rita, and the last ones require actually using a different on-screen character.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
goddammit i cant believe i have to play this game AGAIN

On the plus side, A Yuri-Flynn double Mystic Arte is pretty loving awesome. Looks like Karol gets a second one too. Would not be surprised if it goes the way of Abyss in that all the super special Mystic Artes are all second playthrough only. Also interesting to note in the ghost ship boss screen: They're sporting a level 2 overlimit that's building to a level 3. Originally, Limit Trio isn't available to synthesize until you get to the desert after Nordopolica.

And puppy Repede. :3:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Nate RFB posted:

Before I do that though, I'd probably want the Blue Dice from Nebilim. Is it at all possible to break this sidequest, like apparently I did for just about everything else? If not, what is a good suggested level to be at? I hear that having both Guy and Luke isn't a viable strategy because you'll want both Tear and Natalia healing constantly, and you need Jade's more powerful Fonic Artes. I suppose an All-Divide would go a long way, too.

Take Luke, Guy, Jade, and Tear. Map Resurrection to your favorite button because you're gonna abuse the gently caress out of it. Run around as Tear and leave everything to Jade because he's gonna be the only one that does good damage. Luke and Guy are just there to steal her attention away from Jade so he can cast. Don't forget to abuse the water FoF she'll leave behind from Blessed Drops to get a AoE full revive if at all possible. (Stand in it and cast)

Just keep moving as Tear since all of the boss's favorite spells all have a warm-up animation before they actually do damage, and obviously try to avoid running into your own guys so they get hit with the spell. And keep your distance from the boss in general because you never know when she might decide to use an attack arte instead of a spell. Make sure to carry revival items just in case of such an event, and keep plenty of MP and HP recovery items, but don't let the AI use any. It'd just be a waste.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Nate RFB posted:

Spazmaster, your Nebilim strategy is insane (and also works). Nothing like frantically running around for 13 minutes spamming Resurrection and Enhance Cast. I deeply regretted not having Item Thrower on Tear, as well as a Cobalt Chamber on Enhance Cast. That would have made the battle a lot easier.

Well, I had to come up with something that worked nearly flawlessly.

SpazmasterX posted:

I did it! It took me three loving hours but I finally beat Nebilim on Very Hard! Did it at level 85, used up all my items, and had to get pretty goddamn tricky at the end, but I stomped her rear end. Man, I haven't had a boss fight that long and hard since the Hell Wyrm in FF12.

EDIT: I got 160 Grade for the fight just because of sheer FoF and Mystic Arte use :suicide:

I was actually using Charge (with a maxed Cobalt Chamber **protip**) on myself at the end just to get the few MP I could to revive Jade.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Nate RFB posted:

Did you use your All-Divide? I've read some strategies for a Very Hard Nebilim fight that actually seem relatively believable if you do NOT use it. I think the only way it could work though is if you constantly switch characters to run away from her spells (she faces the person she's going to use it against), and having Tear use nothing but Revitalize, Resurrection, and Force Field. Also using Mystic Artes the second she goes into Overlimit as a means to basically use up time and try to snap her out of Overlimit herself. Also any and everything that can reduce TP requirements on Tear and Jade (though really there's no way I would have survived the fight without a Mystic Symbol on Tear so this part I'm a little skeptical about).

I'll probably do a second run with 10x Exp, Capacity Cores retained, 2x Grade, and a quicker Overlimit refill rate, though it'll take a while in Cheagle Woods to get to that point :suicide:

As it so happens, I forgot to mention that you should Taunt whenever all your other characters are up so you build your Overlimit because, yes, you should use a Mystic Arte any time Nebilim uses her Overlimit so you eliminate the possibility of her using a Mystic Arte. All-Divides are useless because they halve the damage you do too, plus anything she hits you with will still kill you if you get locked in. I had a Fairy Ring on Tear so she was going through her TP pretty slowly.

Also, make sure that Jade is only using spells you have maxed out Crimson Cores on, so he does the most damage possible. IIRC, Thunder Blade works really well.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Some new costumes for PS3 Vesperia have been revealed too. Specifically: Yuri with Asch's outfit and hairstyle, Estelle with Tear's military garb, and Flynn with Luke's primary outfit.

Also I guess the JP release date is 9/17/09.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Samurai Sanders posted:

By the way, how do y'all usually bind your special attacks? I have settled on the following scheme:

stick neutral: combo starters
stick left/right: blowback/knockdown attacks or otherwise combo finishers
stick up: launchers/jumping attacks
stick down: diving/arcing attacks

It depends on the attack and the direction I feel it goes. Like for Yuri:

Neutral: Shining Fang
Left/Right: Shining Dragon Swarm
Up: Shining Fang Drop
Down: Brutal Fang

But when it comes to spellcasters I stick them depending on element.

Neutral: Fire
Up: Wind
Down: Earth
Left/Right: Dark
RS Up: Light/Healing
RS Right: Water
RS Left/Down: Personal Preference

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Eddain posted:

Here are some screens of the preorder Tales of the Abyss costumes for Tales of Vesperia PS3. The Yuri/Asch and Flynn/Luke look is amazing, somewhat mirroring their beliefs. Also there's some new Giganto.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1225128_1407.html

That's definitely not a Giganto, unless they're adding secret missions to them now.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

McTimmy posted:

Third SS has a different fighting ground.

I have a lovely monitor at work.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Eddain posted:

Judging from the dual audio tracks, new characters and new skills, new cutscenes, animations, new areas and boss fights, new skits... That's way over 1gb already.

If anything they'll release a Director's Cut of Vesperia for the 360. 'Cause they know that only people who bought the original game on the 360 would buy the updated version if they don't have a PS3. And releasing a new edition allows more 360 users to try out the game if they didn't get it during the original release. Releasing it as DLC would only net the buyers of the original game, and even then they might buy the PS3 version instead.

I already plan on buying the PS3 version unless they announce a new 360 version before it hits the states.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Policenaut posted:

Just to ask because I think I read about this when the PS3 Vesperia trailer first came out, didn't it list all the characters with their Western names?

I don't think there's been a JRPG that had any names outright changed in years. They usually go by the proper english translation after the fact anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Eddain posted:

If not, I'd suggest Abyss before Vesperia only because it's a progression of battle systems. If you played Vesperia first you might not like being reduced to Abyss' inferior combat.

Seconding this. It was really hard to play Abyss after Vesperia because you feel really limited. I can imagine playing Vesperia after Abyss would help you take advantage of the battle system a lot quicker though.