Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

As in an HTTP error?

Looks like I was stuck on the Java 8 issue with 3.1.2. Now I'm getting the standard incorrect username/password. I'll try console access tomorrow when I'm onsite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Psst, hey, kid

what's the retail price of

netapp af300 or af700 in cheapest, smallest possible configuration?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry, if I told you I'd have to kill you. Tech MSRPs are confidential and protected by the TPP, punishable by death.

I actually don't know, sorry

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

netapp af300 or af700 in cheapest, smallest possible configuration?

Google netapp price list and download the public record ones from various governments

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Google netapp price list and download the public record ones from various governments
But but my supplier relationships?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

thebigcow posted:

Crashplan will be horrendous to use with many TB of video.
Oh, I know that. I recently restored ~30 GB from CrashPlan for my personal PC, and it took 2 weeks to complete the restore. In fact, I just spoke with Code42's sales team and they were really honest in telling me that CrashPlan probably isn't the best backup solution for our needs.

But at this point I'm not sure what our best option is for up to 30TB of video/media files (with a possible need for scalability). :(

melon cat fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 7, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

30TB is shitall and you should be able to get a dumb SMB target for whatever backup software you use. Park that across town.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
^^^^^^^^

That or plan on spending enterprise money on your cloud backup. Amazon has a service called Snowball that lets you send seed data through UPS.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

But but my supplier relationships?

Ask your VAR for their MSRP list. I've never seen it accidentally attached to an email on accident. Accidents!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

evil_bunnY posted:

30TB is shitall and you should be able to get a dumb SMB target for whatever backup software you use. Park that across town.
I'm kind of a caveman when it comes to backup software, so I apologize in advance for asking this- but could you clarify what you're suggesting? I'm not sure what you mean. :(

thebigcow posted:

^^^^^^^^

That or plan on spending enterprise money on your cloud backup. Amazon has a service called Snowball that lets you send seed data through UPS.
This is actually really interesting. I'll look into this one!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

melon cat posted:

I'm kind of a caveman when it comes to backup software, so I apologize in advance for asking this- but could you clarify what you're suggesting? I'm not sure what you mean.

He means get some cheap storage, store it somewhere off-site, then use something like Veeam to backup your production data to it. I think at this point there are better options, like using cloud storage and sending a drive to seed, but it works and is what I'm currently using.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
As a follow up- no combo of logins have been successful. I'm no longer on site and we will be moving the data from the Netapp to our Isilon. We've decided to drop the Netapp, as at 6 years it's no longer cost effective to keep in production for the data it was hosting.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

the spyder posted:

As a follow up- no combo of logins have been successful. I'm no longer on site and we will be moving the data from the Netapp to our Isilon. We've decided to drop the Netapp, as at 6 years it's no longer cost effective to keep in production for the data it was hosting.

Not to mention you're going to start seeing disks drop like flies sooner rather than later

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Interesting news from Brocade/Broadcom this morning:

https://community.brocade.com/t5/Wingspan/Broadcom-to-Acquire-Brocade/ba-p/89520

quote:

As part of this transaction, our Storage Area Network (SAN) business, will offer a strong complement to Broadcom’s offerings and capabilities, creating one of the industry’s broadest portfolios for enterprise storage. We believe that we will be able to further strengthen our OEM and partner ecosystem and help customers meet the next-generation network and storage requirements of digital business.

In terms of our IP Networking business, due to competitive overlap with some of Broadcom’s most important customers, Broadcom will seek a buyer for the business. We have built an attractive IP Networking portfolio, designed to enable customers to transform their networks into platforms for innovation. As we support Broadcom in its efforts to find a buyer, our goal is for the IP Networking business to continue to thrive and see to fruition its strategic vision.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They've only just finished acquiring Ruckus

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I was hoping to get a bit of advice. My NetApp-centric NAS job has been outsourced to a third-party company and I'm finding that my skillset is too narrow to find a similar opportunity. For the last six years, I've just been administering NetApp NAS filers, with a bit of Hitachi thrown in. NAS data storage doesn't, on its own, seem to be such a big deal here (Toronto). The company did give me a training allowance to advance my skillset, but I'm not sure what would be the most practical to take. I was thinking Big Data (whether Hadoop or Sparks or whatever), or maybe SAN. Or maybe I should update my MCSE, which is ancient. Any thoughts? I'm not working right now, so I have time during the day to take courses.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

I was hoping to get a bit of advice. My NetApp-centric NAS job has been outsourced to a third-party company and I'm finding that my skillset is too narrow to find a similar opportunity. For the last six years, I've just been administering NetApp NAS filers, with a bit of Hitachi thrown in. NAS data storage doesn't, on its own, seem to be such a big deal here (Toronto). The company did give me a training allowance to advance my skillset, but I'm not sure what would be the most practical to take. I was thinking Big Data (whether Hadoop or Sparks or whatever), or maybe SAN. Or maybe I should update my MCSE, which is ancient. Any thoughts? I'm not working right now, so I have time during the day to take courses.

Stop shopping yourself as a NAS guy. You're a storage person. Go one layer deeper than CIFS and suddenly your skillset applies across the board.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
With all the consolidation in the industry lately, who would even buy? Mellanox?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Stop shopping yourself as a NAS guy. You're a storage person. Go one layer deeper than CIFS and suddenly your skillset applies across the board.

That's an interesting idea, but won't it become apparent that I don't have any skills with SAN/Big Data/Fiber Channel/etc.?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
That doesn't stop anyone else

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

That's an interesting idea, but won't it become apparent that I don't have any skills with SAN/Big Data/Fiber Channel/etc.?
Who gives a poo poo. Work IP gigs until you do. Your Netapp boxes are SANs.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
I'm spitballing a new Openstack design in the coming weeks for a new data center space that will use rack-local iscsi-based storage as the backing storage device for all VMs in a particular rack. I have some experience with Solidfire, but little else, and while I like Solidfire's Openstack integration and how their HA model works, it'd be foolish for me to only look at what I've already used when there's other stuff out there like ScaleIO and Purestorage and Nimble.

I'm not comfortable enough going the Ceph or GlusterFS route right now, and my company is fine paying for a flash-based storage appliance so we don't have the extra headache of managing storage. I have no hard I/O requirements since I'm merely spit-balling at this point, but the array will be hosting QCOW2 images on KVM hypervisors for 1000-1200 general-use VMs. I'm not planning on backing databases on this yet, but if said storage appliance has a bigger-and-beefier version that can scale up to meet higher I/O, then bonus.

Can anyone points me towards some vendors - and specifically what models in their product lines - I should be looking at?

My needs are:

- <=10TB of raw storage (most dedupe is handled via qcow)
- <=6U of rackspace
- 10GB iSCSI connectivity
- Native Cinder driver support

My nice-to-haves are:

- All flash (but hybrid is fine too)
- As simple as possible to manage
- Centralized management so we can manage an entire pod (or greater) of storage appliances from one pane of glass
- HA between arrays, if feasible, so if we lose an appliance

Budget is about 300k, but this number is flexible.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

Right now, this sentence, makes me thing you only ever configured CIFS shares on the netapp. See how that works? How are the disks cabled on your NetApp? How did you handle load distribution? It's all the same fundamental concepts. It's turtles block storage all the way down.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Your long term goal should be to stop being a storage admin because it's not a position that's long for this world in most environments. Your short term goal should be to learn enough to sell yourself as a solid all around NetApp admin and pick up some VMware and networking so you can get a job doing virtual infrastructure work as a bridge to whatever it is you ultimately want to do.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
We're in the middle of a consolidation/commoditization phase in IT. Flash was just a bump in that road. If you can't sling VMs around I'm not really sure what's going to be left in ~5 years.

I guess consultancy and sales will always exist to some degree.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Just going to leave this here as a nice horror-story: the ATO (Australian IRS) has managed to lose 1PB of data in a failure on a HPE SAN system: http://www.itnews.com.au/news/hpe-storage-crash-killed-ato-online-services-444490. Apparently they had two SANs, a primary and a DR secondary, with volumes replicated between them. Corruption or some poo poo occurred on the primary and it happily replicated it across to the DR secondary. Nice.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

cheese-cube posted:

Just going to leave this here as a nice horror-story: the ATO (Australian IRS) has managed to lose 1PB of data in a failure on a HPE SAN system: http://www.itnews.com.au/news/hpe-storage-crash-killed-ato-online-services-444490. Apparently they had two SANs, a primary and a DR secondary, with volumes replicated between them. Corruption or some poo poo occurred on the primary and it happily replicated it across to the DR secondary. Nice.
Their own incompetence aside, how badly did their auditors have to gently caress up to not catch this on the DR plan?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And how much did they pay the consultants to implement? Jesus, that's awful.

[Edit: Oh, they have backups and are in the middle of restoring them. Article title is rather misleading.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 13, 2016

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

Their own incompetence aside, how badly did their auditors have to gently caress up to not catch this on the DR plan?

Lol what auditors? The Australian federal government has had a number of impressive IT fuckups primarily due to literally zero oversight of department/ministry IT systems. From what I've read HPE are actually directly contracted to the ATO to support their systems so they'll be on the line for this fuckup. Of course the $1B contract ends next year so they'll just drag out the investigation and then say gently caress it before going to tender again.

Internet Explorer posted:

And how much did they pay the consultants to implement? Jesus, that's awful.

[Edit: Oh, they have backups and are in the middle of restoring them. Article title is rather misleading.]

HPE has an 8 year contract to do IT systems for the ATO. It started in 2010 at $738M but has since ballooned to $1.2B so yeah that's what they charged them lol: https://www.tenders.gov.au/?event=public.CN.view&CNUUID=81E6BF0C-998E-8B80-D311E04D85837B19

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
I dunno if any other vendors do anything similar to RecoverPoint, but synchronous replication with journalling to allow recovery to any point in time is pretty great in situations like this ATO thing. I really miss working on EMC gear after doing EVA/3PAR for the last year or so.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GrandMaster posted:

I dunno if any other vendors do anything similar to RecoverPoint, but synchronous replication with journalling to allow recovery to any point in time is pretty great in situations like this ATO thing. I really miss working on EMC gear after doing EVA/3PAR for the last year or so.

Most do, yes (HP included), though whether or not the journaled or snapshot data is recoverable in that situation will depend on the file system design and where the corruption occurred.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Largely serves as a reminder that RAID (or a SAN) is not backup. If the SAN thinks the data is good it doesn't know to kill the primary and fail over to DR.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm three scotches in to 3 of my 10 Isilon nodes randomly dropping offline, first guess as to when the engineer gets back to me?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fifth.

Of vodka, not your fifth scotch.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

big money big clit posted:

Most do, yes (HP included), though whether or not the journaled or snapshot data is recoverable in that situation will depend on the file system design and where the corruption occurred.
Dis. It's all well and good having a consistent FS, just not much help if the data corruption occurs in the app, or the journaled restore can't be sync'ed to the rest of your system.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Not sure if any of you guys are using Cisco's DCNM SAN client, but there is a real nice bug in 10.1.1.

Keep a known good copy of your server.properties file located in the \Cisco Systems\dcm\fm\conf directory. Something is corrupting the file, which will prevent DCNM from launching correctly.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

the spyder posted:

I'm three scotches in to 3 of my 10 Isilon nodes randomly dropping offline, first guess as to when the engineer gets back to me?

With Isilon lately thats a good question. Dell merger seems to not have been as nice with them for turmoil. Have you logged into the new support website? I hate it

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Langolas posted:

With Isilon lately thats a good question. Dell merger seems to not have been as nice with them for turmoil. Have you logged into the new support website? I hate it

Has anyone been happy with things post Dell merger? We got the worlds shittiest account reps after the merger happened. :(

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There were good Dell reps before?

E: guess you were probably taking about EMC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Docjowles posted:

There were good Dell reps before?

E: guess you were probably taking about EMC

Nope we actually had a pretty good Dell team pre-merger :(

I got the sense the good Dell reps got pushed out by the EMC folks in talking to folks who worked for both.