Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Vanilla posted:

Not sure if it has improved but last time I was speaking to an admin of Compellent he was bitching that it takes about 5 days to promote data to a higher tier and over to days to demote data to a lower tier.

Yeah I just sat in a room with Compellent people for 4 hours the other day and they said you can schedule moves like this overnight if you don't feel like waiting for Data Progression to work its magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

bort posted:

Make a java app with a spinning wait indicator and then sit in front of it. The rest is details.

Ouch.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
If you'd said vCenter, misogynist probably wouldn't have been confused. vCenter is a specific application, vSphere could mean any random part of this.

Terminology is important when discussing VMware's offerings, because everything sounds roughly the same. God help you if you get into the acronyms; I opened a trouble ticket about the vCSA (vCenter Server Appliance) and VMware's own support staff did not know what I was talking about. They use different acronyms internally.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

madsushi posted:

So if you bought a NetApp 2xxx more than a year or two ago (likely a 2020/2050) then you're still stuck.

A bloo bloo bloo, this is my life.

Thankfully we get to buy some Compellent this year.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

szlevi posted:

Have you got any of your gear yet? I'm in the process of getting my quotes in and I'm curious what do you think... I'm concerned that Compellent is still built on Server 2008 R2 file servers.

No, we're probably ordering next week. Our first quote came back surprisingly low, so we're having them requote with some SSDs for VDI base images.

My new boss is pushing Compellent really hard, he's not even interested in talking to other vendors too much. Of course we're not pushing the cutting edge of storage technology around here, so it's pretty much six of one, half-dozen of the other for us and he's already got the budget approved, so :effort:

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Enterprise Storage Megathread: For fucks sake EMC.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

raise ya!

Your link was broken so I fixed it.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

VMWare licenses are going to cost more than my host hardware and my SAN. Not combined, but drat.

VMware licensing only gets expensive when you're going for lots of CPU licenses with all the bells and whistles turned on. If you're doing that, you've probably already spent a bundle on expensive shared storage and powerful cluster hosts. Can you detail your setup a little bit?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
That licensing should run you about $22k or so. It's a good jump up in functionality over Essentials though. We just did the same thing.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
That's exactly what we just bought.

They had a deal going until 2012-06-15 that was 30% off the licensing (not the support), so we ended up paying $22-23k + tax.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

NippleFloss posted:

The NetApp management GUI is called system manager, but outside of that you can manage the boxes directly via an SSH console,

Assuming it isn't a day ending in 'y' and your BMC has died a fiery death, requiring a bmc reboot. :argh:

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

NippleFloss posted:

You don't need your BMC running to access the filer via SSH. You can enable it using secureadmin and ssh directly to the filer's production IP (or any other IP it shares). The BMC provides console level access over the network which is another way to get in, but OnTAP runs an ssh daemon as well. We've got about 30 2040 HA pairs and while the BMCs occasionally have problems it's not all that common. Have you updated the BMC firmware recently?

It's a 2020 we're phasing out anyways, so it's stuck on 7.x (7.3.3 specifically). The BMC is the only port not on the segregated storage network, so it's easiest just to use that even if the damned thing crashes occasionally.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Powdered Toast Man posted:

He has a book about ITIL on his desk. The irony is hysterical.

Edit: Sorry for the derail, I feel like I'm talking about drama now. I'll stop.

No no, please don't stop. This is an SHSC soap opera in progress, don't blue ball us.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Alright, so I am posting this here because someone must have come across this problem before in their SAN/NAS travels.

Varonis?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Thanks for the reply. Any idea on the price? Couldn't find anything on their site and the only mention I've seen online is $25,000+ which is way outside the ballpark.

I wanna say maybe half that, but you also might be able to do what you need to do with the 30-day demo.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

What Exchange user reads or writes from a disk one time and then never touches it ever again?

Obviously, anyone using S4 for their Exchange backend storage.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Corvettefisher posted:

NO NO NO DO NOT GET DROBO

Seriously if you want to talk answer my PM or email me at Corvttefish3r@gmail.com I can help you out and offer a bunch of support for cheap

If you've got negative things to say about a storage vendor, say it in here so that other people may learn from your pain.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Nope, sorry, you don't get to administer your SAN right now, you just get to stare at this because stupid loving Java interfaces.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Heyyyy whoever installed our Compellent controllers racked them in the wrong order and swapped the front covers.

edit: Manually flipping the boot order on one of my two SC040 controllers so I can do a BIOS update :woop:

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 1, 2012

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

Bravo, IBM, for magically correlating my SONAS callhome ticket with an email distribution list at Stony Brook University Medical Center and blasting logs of my system to half a dozen sysadmins at another organization. Icing on the cake: both our organizations deal with HIPAA patient data!

...what the gently caress?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Compellent MPIO question. I have the following Compellent setup:

So each controller has two dual-port 1GB cards, with the top port in each card cabled to our iSCSI switch. I know, we should have two switches, we're getting to that soon.

IP addresses are as follows:
  • Fault Domain 1 control port: 192.168.1.100
  • Controller 1, Slot 5, port 1: 192.168.1.110
  • Controller 1, Slot 6, port 1: 192.168.1.111
  • Controller 2, Slot 5, port 1: 192.168.1.112
  • Controller 2, Slot 6, port 1: 192.168.1.113

If I have VMware hosts mapped to volumes on the Compellent using, on each host, two vmknics bound to one software iscsi initiator (1 vSwitch with each physical uplink being active on one vmknic and unused on the other, per normal, using Round Robin as recommended), how many paths should I see from host to volume? The answer, in my setup, is 6, and I'd like to understand why.

To use a volume that is active on Controller 1 as an example, I'm guessing that ESXi sees 2 paths to the FD control port (.100), 2 paths to slot5/port1 (.110) and 2 paths to slot6/port1 (.111), but I'm just not sure. I'd expect 4 paths, absent this virtual port stuff, but given that our Compellent tech racked the controllers in the wrong order and swapped the chassis faceplates, I'm open to the idea that something's misconfigured.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I have a case open with VMware so I'll double-check the vSwitch setup, but I'm still disagreeing with you on that one. You quoted

VMware posted:

There is another important point to note when it comes to the configuration of iSCSI port bindings. On vSwitches which contain multiple vmnic uplinks, each VMkernel (vmk) port used for iSCSI bindings must be associated with a single vmnic uplink. The other uplink(s) on the vSwitch must be placed into an unused state.

That's exactly what I've done - here's a shot of one of the two vmkernel portgroups showing that only one vmnic uplink is associated with it:

The switch is VLAN capable, but since getting the second switch is a bit off I really want to know why this setup isn't working as-is.

edit: Here's a shot of the Network Configuration tab of vmhba34 showing that it has two vmkernel portgroups bound to it. Two vmkernel portgroups, each with its own distinct and dedicated uplink:

edit: last edit I swear. You say I have a 3rd vmknic defined somewhere, and it's true that I do - it's a management-only one on vSwitch0, and iSCSI port binding is unchecked/greyed out as expected.

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 4, 2012

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Okay, the 6 path thing was a total non-issue. VMware support pinned it on the fact that I had volumes mapped to the hosts at the time I bound the vmknics to the iSCSI initiator, and those two paths that already existed (from vmhba34 to the two SAN ports) don't disappear until you reboot the host. I popped a host into maintenance, rebooted, and voila - 4 paths. Also, they say there's absolutely no issue using one vSwitch as I've done, as long as each vmknic has one active uplink only.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
He said he's using Round Robin, so he's not aggregating bandwidth over the 2x 1Gb ports. I'm not sure what kind of performance gain you can get by cranking IO operations limit down to 3, but it's not going to be spectacular, is it?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

XMalaclypseX posted:

Its a regular vmware tweak because the default Round Robin policy IOPS limit is 1000. By setting it to 3 it balances lower traffic loads better.

I know it's considered regular, but do you actually have guidance from EQL on what kind of performance increase you should expect out of it? Some well-known bloggers have questioned how effective that change actually is, so I'm not sure expecting throughput in excess 100MB/s in a 2Gb+RR setup is that realistic. Like I said, you're not aggregating the 2 links together, you're just switching between them every. damned. IO.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

Most of that mess is your too-long, too-thick factory power cables, which can be replaced for $1.50 apiece. Clean that up and you'll have plenty of room to correctly dress your fiber at the side of the rack.

What power cables do you normally get? I've bought shorter sizes before so I could deal with length better, but I thought the thickness was pretty standard.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

YF19pilot posted:

So tell me what a terrible decision I am making.

I'm currently looking at going to work for Dell Compellent as some flavor of support monkey. I do want this job, so I'm using this thread to bone up on Enterprise Storage, and yes, I've read the OP.

What is SA's OfficialTM opinion on Dell Compellent? How does (Automated) Tiered Storage work? What should I read up on to not sound like some idiot that just memorized a bunch of acronyms?

We're using Compellent here and it's been a pretty good experience so far.

We just upgraded to SC 6.1.3 a few weekends ago and had some minor issues, so don't be a support monkey who racks the controllers in the wrong order and swaps the faceplates. Don't be that guy.

I also have a VMware server whose iscsi HBAs don't all show up correctly in Enterprise Manager or Storage Center. I asked tech support about it and they nervously laughed, assured me that it's just a display bug and they can see the HBA from the secure console just fine... not real confidence inspiring!

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Is anyone using Replay Manager with Exchange 2010?

We're moving from our old PE2950 Exchange2007 install to a virtualized Exchange2010 install, and I'm trying to figure out if we want to use RDMs to give us the option of using Replay Manager, or stick with VMFS VMDKs and our current (Microsoft DPM) backup methods.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Any recommendations on 3rd party service providers for out-of-warranty NetApp gear? Already checked out Service Express.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Anybody experimented with Ceph at all? Was just reading this post and hadn't even heard much about it yet.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
No, I can't find it either but it's literally two USB thumb drives plugged into a USB hub, and someone helpfully made a label for them that says SERVER DRIVES.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Wompa164 posted:

Can anyone recommend a good NetApp and/or Compellent reseller and integrator?

Don't think they do Compellent, but I just PM'd you the info for our NetApp partner. Fellow goon H110Hawk recommended them to me a few years back, after we got screwed by a local VAR, and I've liked them a lot.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

szlevi posted:

Just upgraded my NAS boxes (Dell NX3000s) to Server 2012, I'll test SMB3.0 with direct FIO shares again - I'm sure it's got better but I doubt it's got that much better...

Post back here when you do this please, I'm interested to see what they did with SMB3.0.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Get service express or similar aftermarket warranty company involved? They may rake you over the coals a bit on price, but they may have the batteries in stock.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
To be on the paranoid side, for an upcoming datacenter move we had a local Compellent partner quote out the work of powering down, unracking, transporting .2 miles to another building, reracking, recabling, and bringing up our array.

$6500.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

We have suffered some pretty bad disk failures thanks to the dance club downstairs

This is just wonderful.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
e: oh god

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

Just recommend me a nice brand/model, pretty please. I'm tied up tonight with Vobfus virus that slipped through corporate's antivirus and is (slowly) changing all of our file attributes into hidden system files.

Just stop posting before you get this thread goldmined.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

paperchaseguy posted:

guys he's a patient, not an employee

I really want this to be like that episode of NCIS where the psychiatric hospital employee they're talking to turns out to be a patient the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Corvettefisher posted:

I still want to find the picture that goon posted where he had 2 USB sticks labeled "SERVER DRIVES"

Bam.