Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
Ok, I rented that Uwe Boll movie; you've all seen the intro on youtube. It was supposed to be out in 1500 theaters, and got downgraded to a DVD release on Aug 26th. The Blockbuster near my house just got it a few days ago.

This one is hard, because I found myself laughing at a few things in the movie. To be honest, it is not horrible and boring, just mediocre overall, but kept my attention just enough to not turn it off. If anything, it beats something the Wayans Brothers would make, and Uwe Boll at least has a bit of a sense of humor about himself (he references making lovely movies, presumes to be a pedophile, and gets into a fight with Vince Desi) The whole movie is basically what the previews made it out to be, and it overplays the terrorist jokes. The DVD also has the boxing matches on it.

It is basically the kind of humor that SA goons would appreciate had they not already beaten such jokes into the ground. This movie is like a bad poster in GBS who has been instructed to lurk more.

edit: I'd like to add that the DVD does have a higher quality version of the Uwe Boll/Lowtax boxing match than you'll find on youtube, but I don't recommend using that as a reason to buy this movie.

I give it 2/5 even though it probably deserves lower.

Sulphuric Asshole fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
I'm probably going to get heckled about this, but I actually did like Postal.

The thing is, if it's anything like Boll's other films, then it would really show why he isn't exactly in critical acclaim.

Perhaps the fact that I enjoyed it came from the fact that I had no expectations of negativity based on Boll's former work, or that nagging feeling of "here comes the raping" - that litttle nagging mental itch that shows up whenever a treasured memory gets slapped on to the silver screen. In terms of accuracy to it's topic, Postal seems to do a great job of mimicing Postal 2.

Sometimes the characters got a little on the nerves - yes, the Terrorists get a little on the nerves, but these things happen. As to the humor, though it's over-done and campy throughout, it all fits well into the same vein and theme. It's done in the style of nobody spared, and that's probably in the best interest of keeping sensativity groups from whining.

Just to re-iterate it, I did like this movie, and I did like certain little slices, like how the coffee shop girl seemed to be given no direction on how to act when trying to duct, and holding a gun. Watching her fumble around with that part was just plain amusing.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, it's not a fantastic movie, but it's a lot funnier than a lot of the other spoof abortions (see _____ Movie), and in that sense, well worth choosing over them. 3/5.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
The first half of the movie it really looked like Boll could pull off a movie that's "so bad, it's actually good"...

...but then it ran out of all steam and went absolutely nowhere.

2/5

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm not sure why Harold and Kumar 2 is getting 4's and 5's while this is getting 2's. They are basically the same movie. The terrible Harold and Kumar sequel is propped up by the first movie, and this one is pulled down by the director.

It is not a good movie by any means, but it is definitely not the worst movie I've seen this year. I laughed. Maybe that makes me a bad person.

3/5

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I can see this appealing only to 11 year olds just getting into the ICP. All I could think about while watching it was how the movie felt like it was made by some angry Counterstrike clan out to prove that video games aren't bad but it is the world that is bad.

1/5

Moose In a Room
Sep 18, 2008

Party Time!
I enjoyed many of the scenes in the movie, and although the acting in most places was shoddy at best, it was enjoyable. It was one of those "this poo poo is so dumb, but so funny" movies; with its cheap laughs and political incorrect(ness?) i was actually just bawling in some places. It provided some memorable scenes like the interview that included possibly the best question ever "What's the difference between a duck?"

I don't usually even rent movies that are guaranteed stinkers, but a friend and i decided to see if it stayed faithful to the game, which it wasn't bad at. So all in all, the movie was a good game adaptation (i know, right?), and its pitfalls are also its shining points. Postal is terrible, violent, and stupid, with bad special effects and acting but that's also the same reason it is watchable.

a high 3/5

Toolband
May 28, 2003

Year of the Tiger....probably not but hey we started 2-0
I enjoyed it for what it was. I was surprised I was able to sit thru the whole thing and be mildly amused.

3/5

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF

pigdog posted:

The first half of the movie it really looked like Boll could pull off a movie that's "so bad, it's actually good"...

...but then it ran out of all steam and went absolutely nowhere.

Couldn't agree more. I really quite liked the first half and would give it a 4/5, but the last half of it was completely lackluster in comparison. There's definitely LOTS of callbacks to the video game (obviously) which people who haven't played it won't get.

Overall quite average, but still a little fun at times.

3/5.

Schpoonfish
Oct 4, 2008

It's a fish... made out of spoons... GET IT?!!!
Postal is one of the least funny movies I have ever seen. The purpose of the movie was to try to offend people, and it really did fail miserably. It tried to be like South Park but failed because it forgot that South Park is made by people with a.) a basic grasp of the english language b.) A SENSE OF HUMOR. Uwe Boll lacks a basic understanding of American culture as well, as demonstrated by the painfully unfunny Freebird scene. Uwe Boll, I hate you.

1/5

ChuckMaster
Jul 13, 2006

Evil baby bunnies cannot be fed solid food until after the first week.
Utter poo poo.

Boll made a Troma film that doesn't even have the decency to be less than 70 minutes long.

The acting is so bad you wonder if the characters were even told what they're supposed to do. The dialogue is so bad you wonder if they were even given scripts.

You can cut 45 minutes out of the movie and miss nothing plot-wise.

And if something mildly funny, it's because you've heard it before.

Asylum puts out better quality than this.

Don't even watch this out of morbid curiosity. It's a serious waste of time. It's not even bad enough to be amusing.

1/5

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

I saw Postal at a friend's house last night. I knew it was supposed to be lovely, but we at least had hoped it was one of those films that was so bad it was good. gently caress, this movie is just plain horrible in every way. It tries so hard to be over the top offensive, but just comes off as inept and tiresome. The back of the DVD states it's like a live action South Park, which is a bit like Taylor Hicks stating he's like Elvis just because he's a singer with 2 legs. Everything about this movie is loving horrible, and I guarantee that you won't like a drat thing about it. The story is incomprehensible, the jokes are dead on arrival, and the action is sparse and hard to follow as well. Is it any wonder this thing only opened in 3 theaters last year? If you must see this film, please steal it so nobody makes any more money off it. And the fact that this piece of poo poo is on Blu-Ray is even more laughable. It's like black velvet toilet paper.

0/5

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
This is the ONLY Uwe Boll film I have seen. To be short and quite frank about it, I loved this movie. A friend of mine brought it over so we could all watch it. When I tried to hand it back to him when he was getting ready to go home, he refused. I eagerly kept it. I'm a sucker for movies nobody likes, and I have watched it at least twice since then. It's honestly not that bad if you aren't offended easily, and only really good if you have friends around to mock it openly.

Sure, the plot is dumb and the characters suck, but I love stupid movies. After watching blockbuster after blockbuster, a dumb-gently caress movie is an almost refreshing breath of fresh air. Fresh air tainted with a flesh eating air-borne bacteria, yes, but something different and almost new. I.. actually liked it.

Except for full frontal cock on Dave Foley's account. I really could have lived without ever seeing one of the Kids in the Hall like that.

4/5

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I saw this at a friend's house and he half-heartedly laughed twice and I smirked once when the lady at the social security office was hit by 3 cars.

The movie is dreadfully unfunny, granted, you do see some hot chicks get their tits out but this is mitigated by the fact that you see 50 year old dick in full view on screen.

There is no plot. It's random bullet points from the game Postal 2 thrown into Uwe Boll's mouth, digested and shitted out on to my friend's TV screen. There is not even enough entertaining material here for a 5 minute youtube video.

0/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
First off, I enjoy Boll's movies. They are terrible in a very unique way. Not in a "what a crappy student/horror film" way, but Boll's movies actually give the impression that he doesn't really know how to make a movie at a basic technical level.

For the first 15 minutes, I really thought he was going to pull this one off. The intro is so over-the-top that its downright BOLD. Dave Foley is generally great in this.

Flat out, that hammy big fat guy ruins this movie.

Everyone else in Postal reacts to the events around them with that sorta Naked Gun style of "This is slightly crazy, but whatever."

The fat guy does this maudlin "OMG I'M WACKY AND FUNNY!" face-pulling poo poo for the last hour of the movie, blowing any hope of a laugh.

It's also like 3 BARELY connected short movies happening at once, but really the problem here is that fat guy.

2/5