Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
The bustling airfield and passing sleds of cargo screen the arrival of an errant raccoon, who waddles brazenly towards the expanding circle of adventurers.

A pair of antlers follow in close pursuit, hurdling over passing crates and pushing through crowds to catch their quarry. Their every stride is announced by the familiar jangling of chainmail and pounding of boots, betraying their crimson robes as a facade to heavier armor. A misplaced step finds them stumbling over a sloppily placed pile of damage control equipment, and with one last desperate stride they manage to bend over and catch the pesky animal before it can trundle into the midst of a crowd.

They realize their folly as they attempt to stand; the antlers of their mask have caught on the white robes of the priestess beside them. "Oh, terribly sorry!" A muffled woman's voice responds. She attempts to disentangle one of her antlers without letting go of the raccoon, and while her venture is successful, she accidentally pokes through the parchment in the holy woman's hands with the other. "Sorry!"

The paper is torn through as she stands. The mask does well in hiding whatever horrified expression might be on her face as she considers each of her present company. She remains awkward and silent, presenting the raccoon at arm's length towards the others as if she were handing off an unwanted baby. This continues for several beats too long.

She clears her throat. "This is Vihn."

Vihn

He remains limp and unmoving in her hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

Billowing smoke envelops the rodent and his assistant. The cloud is pushed to the ground by forces unseen, dissipating at the feet of a short, steely human.

"She is, indeed." He replies dryly, bowing slightly to the royalty among them. "Your graces. Now, before we manage to embarrass our queen any further, I would like to introduce my gracious assistant: Gavri, say hello." She begins to say something but Vihn continues speaking over her. "As much as I am loath to admit it considering our immediate behavior, we represent the party of Queen Avinica of The Everleaf. We are incredibly grateful for this opportunity and shall endeavor to assist you by any means possible."

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 24, 2018

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

"I have no expectations that her rescue will occur within the near future. There's no sense in needless waiting." A porcelain drinking saucer floats from Gavri's pack and hovers before Apis. Vihn has to look almost straight up to meet the part-minotaur's gaze. "If you would, please. If it would help, Mother, then consider this a preemptive measure to improve my patience and blood pressure in equal measures."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

Vihn's face pulls taut into a sour expression as the liquor hits his lips. He hands the remainder of the shot up to his assistant, trying not to cough in the process. "Strong."

Gavri lifts the mask up briefly to down the rest. She shrugs, stuffing the saucer back into her pack before shoving Vihn along through the crowd. "Right, you heard the ladies, Mister Vihn. Underway time. Let's move along. Got Far Realms to be at and all that."

"Call it Irrational Fortune, then." He calls over his shoulder to Cipher. "Gods know we'll need it."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

"Wholly concur with the good Mother's name."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

"Then call it Not Crewed By Gith for short." He states decisively. "It flows excellently in Deep Speech, I assure you."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

Such is Vihn's confusion, contempt, and disgust, that it manifests as a psionic phenomena which Ode can physically feel despite not seeing his expression.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

Vihn gazes up, half expecting a the bard-hazingly long name to be imprinted across the side of the ship in 20 foot tall letters. He lets out a disappointed sigh and follows in Landra's steps. "They will be wishing we went with Githfucker." He beckons for Gavri to follow. "I presume there is some variety of wardroom or berthing spaces suiting our status, yes?"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

"Had I not already given up on being able to enjoy nice things, I might be disappointed."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

A barely-contained laugh is the only confirmation that Vihn knows about the hamster wheel. As much as he tried to avoid it, such bizarre and obvious surface thoughts were difficult to turn a blind eye to.

"I shall endeavor to stay out of the way," Vihn states, preparing to leave the bridge. "Call on me when we have arrived and are ready to begin locating targets. I shall be moving into my quarters if you have need of me."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

Vihn barges back into the control room, sidestepping past Sariel and the Mother Errant on their way out.

"Perhaps I missed mention of it, but we do know where we are going, yes?" He narrows his gaze. "As in an actual known destination, not simply something so broad as an entire plane?"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

Vihn appears intensely dissatisfied with both answers but manages to hold his tongue.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

"I suppose my more clairvoyant talents will be able to locate machines powered by the blood of gods easily enough," he sighs, crossing his arms and gazing in thought at the various instruments scattered around the room. "Though I am sure there will be a glut of false positives in the process... Hmph. Those descriptions will suffice. Have me summoned immediately after the transit to the astral sea is complete."

Apparently satisfied, he departs for his quarters.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

"Thank you, Captain."

Gavri taps Vihn's shoulder. "Isn't that your job to find the ships?"

"I can only determine a location by context clues extracted during remote observation," he states, bored from having to repeat this explanation countless times. "I cannot divine a bearing - doubly so with these unusual changes to the sea - and my methods take considerably longer. And to answer your question not asked, which you believe to be too dumb to be worthwhile, the Astral Sea has changed considerably since my last travels here."

"Oh... Thanks."

"My first task shall be to observe the control room of the closest Gith ship to determine if our arrival is to be investigated." He taps his staff against the deck in idle thought. "Queen Marianna, I might offer that I fit well within a pack while in my other form, saving space on this chariot of yours. Of course, I would be without my traveling companion."

"He's not the best at fighting without me," she helpfully adds. One could imagine her winking beneath her skull helmet.

"And you are well out of your league without my direct assistance, so I suppose that makes us both useless in that scenario. Something to consider. Is there a reason we might not simply drive this vessel as close as possible to our destination? Surely there are boarding craft on something this size."

As soon as we're done here I'm going to use the View Object ritual (don't need components or focus) to view the helm in the control room of the closest Gith ship (not ours) powered by the blood of a god, which takes an hour.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

Gavri raises her hand. "Orrrr because cannons are dangerous, I could simply throw Vihn across - "

"I absolutely refuse to do - "

" - the shot put special is a perfectly - "

The two begin to argue. They seem quite adept at listening and speaking over one another.

Gavri flexes, patting her bicep and speaking to the others while Vihn continues to protest. "No worries, I hold records where I'm from and little Vinny here doesn't weigh half as much as the rocks we use. Perfectly safe, effective, and proven. Just something to consider!"

Vihn removes his glasses so that he can better pinch the bridge of his nose in silence. He calms himself with a singular well-practiced deep breath. "I am capable of warping space in such a manner that a large group can merely teleport across a very sizable gap with no need for me to see the destination. We do not require any outlandish solutions."

The argument recommences.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

Talk of sack rats causes the two to stop and stare at the Mother Errant.

"I have many effective scrying methods. I would dare say that it is my specialty," he answers immediately, happy to move on to a more constructive subject. "The most expeditious methods measure an unfortunately long ten minutes, making them unsuitable to very rapid action. I would require an intermediate staging area immediately outside the hull but obscured to security in order to make the best use of them."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

"As much as I appreciate your offer to modify the cannons on board, I must respectfully decline." Vihn looks to the Lady, then to Landra. "Perhaps we shall simply take more care to avoid collateral damage in the bridge areas in the future. Surely some other vessel still has functioning instruments that we might requisition. And speaking of other functioning vessels, I shall be below decks, performing my ritual. I shall report back within an hour or so."

And with that, he wanders towards the nearest ladderwell to search out a quiet place to scry from.

My bad, updated the sheet. or not just kidding the chargen just overwrote my sheet with a blank one and i didnt realize it until i uploaded it :smithicide:
Arcana for View Object Ritual: 1d20+11+6+5 33

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

Vihn jumps to his feet.

Gavri awakes with a snort, nearly falling from her rack out of sheer surprise. "What is it?"

"Hurry to control." he snaps, throwing on his jacket and retrieving his instruments from a nearby nook.

Vihn doesn't bother to announce his presence in the control room, instead opting to save time by commencing his brief to the captain as soon as he steps through the hatch. "Captain, ma'am! Our presence has been detected by a Githyanki, our location will be determined soon, and two vessels have been dispatched to meet us." His tone of voice is as terse as his brief. "Recommend you request the others to the control room and sound general quarters. The enemy is already at battle stations."

"Why didn't you tell me that?" Gavri asks.

He stands there, very nearly about to say how he doesn't like to repeat himself, then realizes how many times he has repeated that very phrase to his assistant. Vihn grimaces and refuses to answer the question.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

"I have no information on distance or location. The names of the vessels are the Darkling Grasp and the Vastness’ Scythe," Vihn explains, "and I believe that they have already identified that our vessel is manned by someone other than their own."

He very notably fails to inform the others that his off-color psionic presence had likely tipped them off.

Gavri raises a helpful hand. "Well, we did name it the We're The Only Ship Not Crewed By Githyanki Out Here So - "

"As I was saying, they can detect the jumps in short order but it will take time for them to triangulate a position. I recommend we move away from our starting point as quickly as possible." He looks to Landra and Marianna. "How difficult was it to deal with the original crew of this ship? I ask because we may need to take this opportunity to requisition more ships. Worst case scenario, of course."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

Vihn nods to the Mother Errant. "You would assume correctly. They know how we arrived here, what ship we are in possession of, and surely have the ship's handling capabilities. However, locating a ship over vast distances based on an old rough position and time is not as easy as most would assume it to be, especially in three dimensions. If we move at maximum speed and adjust course at irregular intervals then we may be able to delay engagement or even evade them. If they can achieve some sort of continuous fix on us then we will have no way to avoid them."

"The only thing that they can't possibly know we got," he edges very close to mocking the Mother Errant's manner of speaking, "is the crew. Us. We could take a boarding vessel, avoid detection, and counter-board directly into their control room once the first vessel locates us. I highly doubt the Gith will have the patience to delay engagement for reinforcements."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

"Perhaps we may do our best to pretend that the ship is a derelict and trap the inside. That may work better once we are in possession of a second, more disposable vessel at a later time."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

Vihn gives the Mother Errant an indignant snort, but thankfully Zhariel begins speaking before he has a chance to respond.

"Seeing as how we have no current whereabouts for our wayward deity, I would concur with playing possum and counter-boarding our pursuers so that we might gain access to their systems."

Gavri raises a hand. "Maybe they would stop being confused about what you are if you wore your tail out?"

"Stay on topic, please. And I have no intention of wearing my tail out." He rolls his eyes. "As long as we can maintain enough restraint in the boarding action to avoid setting fire to the control room, I should be able to make some sense of their systems. Some variety of psion is typically in charge, after all."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

Vihn taps his chin, considering Marianna's suggestion. He had a soft spot for flattery, but it would be terribly unlike him to succumb to peer pressure and immediately renege his refusal to adopt a partial transformation for the others.

"Right, let us head to engineering and rig the ship for boarding. I shall volunteer to head to the first vessel, as I can warp us into the control room and begin my work as soon as it is cleared." He stops halfway out of the hatch. "I have concerns regarding the partitioning of the boarding groups, but... I will defer to previous experience in dealing with this modern Gith navy."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

He looks to the Mother Errant. "I presume your next suggestion will be something along the lines of combining the two concepts?"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

"Are you suggesting that the intelligence gathering team work within the comfortable confines of a burning hulk?" Vihn asks, incredulous. "As I am surely to be press-ganged into operating psionically keyed equipment, I take issue with that. In case you need a biology refresher, raccoon dogs are not fire retardant. Why not simply take what information we need from the perfectly intact ship and leave the other to be distracted with damage control?"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

"I shall readily admit that despite my wishes to evade, rogue action by our own party is most likely." Vihn states flatly. His gaze slowly drifts towards the exit that the Mother Errant had just taken. "In light of this, we will be taking the fight to the enemy. Whether or not we are all on fire during such action is yet to be seen."

He bows to Landra. "I shall endeavor to gather as much intelligence as possible. If you'll excuse me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vihn

Vihn clears his throat. "Forgive me for being unclear; I shall do my intelligence gathering while everything is burning. I will find a suitable place to hide in the mean time."

yeah i was just gonna steal all their social security numbers out of the trash. not changing the plan, I think I was just unclear. I don't have anything known to steal and I can't see any combatants yet so I can't do any intel god power things until the chaos starts