Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kitten smoothie posted:

I've been emailed a one-time use promo code that gets you "$50 off TiVo Roamio (regularly $199.99), $100 off Roamio Plus (regularly $399.99), $200 off Roamio Pro (regularly $599.99), and $75 off TiVo Mini (regularly $99.99)."

I've canceled cable and my TiVo is collecting dust on a shelf, unplugged, so I don't have plans to buy any more hardware. If anyone wants this promo code, speak up.

Better deal is to go to bestbuy, PM amazon $149.99 and then you also get a $50 gift card (on the base roamio)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Better deal is to go to bestbuy, PM amazon $149.99 and then you also get a $50 gift card (on the base roamio)

welp that makes that easy.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Qwijib0 posted:

heh, got the same email (you also a monthly survey-taker?). My TivoHD is about to bite it so I will probably upgrade to a roamio, cause it's still ~10/mo cheaper than the cable DVR even with the cablecards and tivo fee. If I only get 2 years out of it I still win, and I sitll feel like supporting the company.

Now that I know they've killed hardware, I may try to wrangle a better deal though.

They issued a statement that sort of refutes killing hardware, but not really.

Honestly though, software/services is the future for everyone, with IPTV, cable gateways, etc.

quote:

TiVo shot back tonight at a Wired report claiming that recent layoffs mean the company is exiting the hardware business. "It's not right to say that TiVo's out of the hardware business," VP of corporate communications Steve Wymer tells The Verge. "We're just as fired up as consumers are about the Roamio and we expect to deliver on that for years to come. It's one of our core businesses and our shining jewel."

Wymer confirmed that layoffs did take place, but that they reflect TiVo's new focus as it begins work on the network DVR platform it announced at CES. "We have exploding potential in the cloud," says Wymer. "We shift our resources and our personnel based on our priorities."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/22/5336648/tivo-refutes-rumors-says-hardware-is-a-core-business

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Wait so $100 basically??

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Wait so $100 basically??

Yes.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Oof, now that's pretty tempting. Makes me wonder if my lust for the Plus is worth it over the base.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you want 6 tuners and streaming that kind of works (and a ludicrous amount of storage) then yes. Otherwise, no.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

If you want 6 tuners and streaming that kind of works (and a ludicrous amount of storage) then yes. Otherwise, no.

It's worth noting that the tivo OS runs on separate storage now, so you can buy the base, and throw in any HDD up to 3TB and on boot it will just format it for use.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I just wish the base model could stream to Mini's without any extra hardware, that's far more valuable to me than streaming or extra tuners.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

sanchez posted:

I just wish the base model could stream to Mini's without any extra hardware, that's far more valuable to me than streaming or extra tuners.

Base roamio can talk to minis without hardware. You just need stream if you want to watch on iDevices.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I think the lack of moca bridge was the problem, but the price gap is so huge between the base and next tier now that it'd be worth buying a standalone one.

Hermi On Me
Dec 30, 2002

That's totally barbaric!
Are the minis worth it? I have a Roamio plus now for my living room. I was debating getting a mini with for my second TV, but I have an old 2 tuner Premiere that I'm using currently. I guess other than the $8 cable card fee from Comcast that I'd be saving, is there any reason to ditch the Premiere for the mini? I don't really need to record in my bedroom. But I haven't heard great things about the mini.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Hermi On Me posted:

Are the minis worth it? I have a Roamio plus now for my living room. I was debating getting a mini with for my second TV, but I have an old 2 tuner Premiere that I'm using currently. I guess other than the $8 cable card fee from Comcast that I'd be saving, is there any reason to ditch the Premiere for the mini? I don't really need to record in my bedroom. But I haven't heard great things about the mini.

Dont you have to pay monthly for the mini's?

edit: yep, $6/m /w 1year commitment.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hermi On Me posted:

The service fee for the mini is less ($6 vs ~$11 with the MSD) and the mini can watch shows recorded with the "copy never" flag from premium channels (though I think MRV from a roamio to a premiere will also stream now instead of copying).

I have only briefly touched a mini but mine gets here tuesday so I guess I'll find out. $175 for a mini with lifetime was too good a deal, and the call center also transferred my ancient $10.99/mo TivoHD contract to the Roamio so with the great bby deal (thanks Don Lapre!) I went from single room 2 tuner to multi-room 4 tuner with double the storage for $275 up front with no change to my monthly fee.

The UI on the roamio is so much more usable too, channel surfing is a thing I can do again!

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

I use minis on two of our tvs, over ethernet, and they work great. Overall pretty happy with the implementation, although it consumes two of my tuners on my main box, but thats ok. Havent had any problems with people streaming at the same time or all the tvs being on. Its a great service, for what equates to, cheaper than a standard HD cable box through our cable provider.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
How's the menu speed on them?

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Dogen posted:

How's the menu speed on them?

Seems the same as the main unit. It takes an extra second or two when changing channels, probably due to having to get it and stream from the main box.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I would be very tempted to replace our upstairs Premiere 4 with one, the slow interface on it makes me mad but we don't really need a full unit up here to record the daily show and the morning news that would justify getting another Roamio.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
Bought a base Roamio and a 3 tb hard drive. Currently I have a Tivo HD with an external drive.

Anyone know if I'll need a Cablecard in each Tivo to do a transfer of the shows?

Is the transfer done over the network, or is it done through the eSATA connection?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

KaLogain posted:

Bought a base Roamio and a 3 tb hard drive. Currently I have a Tivo HD with an external drive.

Anyone know if I'll need a Cablecard in each Tivo to do a transfer of the shows?

Is the transfer done over the network, or is it done through the eSATA connection?

The eSATA drive is 'married' to the internal drive-- if you separate them, you lose all recordings. You won't need a cablecard to transfer shows with MRV over the network, but they will both need to be active on your tivo account. You also won't be able to transfer shows with a CCI byte of 0x02 (depending on your cable operator this will be everything but limited basic, or it may only be premiums)

I don't think it's yet possible to use MFSLive to transfer recordings to roamios yet by hooking all 3 drives to a PC, the disk partitioning changed with series 5 tivos (which is why it's so easy to upgrade them).

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 3, 2014

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

Qwijib0 posted:

The eSATA drive is 'married' to the internal drive-- if you separate them, you lose all recordings. You won't need a cablecard to transfer shows with MRV over the network, but they will both need to be active on your tivo account. You also won't be able to transfer shows with a CCI byte of 0x02 (depending on your cable operator this will be everything but limited basic, or it may only be premiums)

I don't think it's yet possible to use MFSLive to transfer recordings to roamios yet by hooking all 3 drives to a PC, the disk partitioning changed with series 5 tivos (which is why it's so easy to upgrade them).

Alright thanks, I knew the issue with the external drive, I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to do that to do the transfer.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
Holy crap, I just realized that Youtube enabled casting to Tivos just like they support for Chromecast. When did that happen?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

My Roamio did that out of the box and it was the first time I noticed it. Maybe the software update from around then?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Krailor posted:

Holy crap, I just realized that Youtube enabled casting to Tivos just like they support for Chromecast. When did that happen?

Does your roamio stay synced with youtube? After I leave the youtube app on the roamio after pairing, if I open it again, I lose the cast button on youtube players until I re-pair, and replace the paired tivo in the device list of my youtube account.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
TiVo has a promo going on right now for up to $75 by playing a little game. I got $50 off and it might be enough for me to finally pull the trigger on one of these units. Especially since they now have built in wifi.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm selling my Tivo HD with lifetime, wireless N adaptor and DVR expander. What do you think a fair price for that is? They seem to be going $200-250 on ebay but I want to sell locally and avoid boxing and shipping all that stuff. I might "list" it on cragslist at $275 and grudgingly let myself get haggled down to $200-225.

p.s. if you're in the SF bay and interested let me know.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I am wondering the same thing except for a lifetimed original Premiere and WiFi adapter.

I'm trying to decide whether to sell it or to hang onto it if I end up getting cable again in the next year or two.

Seems like a lifetimed unit has a fairly high price floor on it even if it's old.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
After using a TWC DVR for 2 weeks I just couldn't take it anymore, and not to mention I also wasn't using any of the features (on demand) I decided to get a Roamio. After taxes and whatever, it came to almost the same price as Amazon so I just got it on Amazon instead.

Here is a 75$ off coupon: YF03037755

Enjoy.

Straithate fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 26, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just a TWC hint with on demand and their horrible piece of poo poo boxes, if you have internet service with them (You probably should, it's the only thing that they do that doesn't suck) they have a free Roku app that lets you stream all of the channels but broadcast live in HD as well as access on demand. Rokus only cost $50 with no monthly fee for the box or the app.

I have a TiVo in my living room but Rokus ended up being the perfect solution for the TVs in my bedroom and kitchen.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The TiVo spring update is coming in the next few weeks, oddly nothing has really been said about what it is in it but I have my fingers crossed for some sort of PPV VOD service that does not completely suck. I don't care if it is a fully functional Amazon app instead of their poo poo one or any other service.

As always there is a priority list, put your service number in here and you will be one of the first in the normally weeks long staggered rollouts.

http://www.tivo.com/priority_20_4_1

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Got Comcast On-Demand on my Roamio, pretty much The Happiest Boy now. Now just bake me VOD, bitches.

I've tried some basic Googling but haven't turned anything up - will a straight clone of the internal drive work for an upgrade? I have a Plus that's just about filled up, and I don't want to lose any recordings, and I don't want to have an external drive.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

An interesting question. I know now that you can slap (almost, think there's problems over 3 gigs?) any old drive in there and it will "just work," because I think the system stuff is on flash storage and can format new drives? Whether or not you can clone a drive to a larger drive and expand the partition and have it work without reformatting is the question, I guess.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Deathlove posted:

Got Comcast On-Demand on my Roamio, pretty much The Happiest Boy now. Now just bake me VOD, bitches.

I've tried some basic Googling but haven't turned anything up - will a straight clone of the internal drive work for an upgrade? I have a Plus that's just about filled up, and I don't want to lose any recordings, and I don't want to have an external drive.

From what I have read on the Tivo Community forums, you cannot just clone the drive. It is not in a format that is readable by any software that does cloning.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Wiggly posted:

From what I have read on the Tivo Community forums, you cannot just clone the drive. It is not in a format that is readable by any software that does cloning.

Well, that's bad news. How am I supposed to preserve my recordings, then? Transfer all of them to a third drive, install new drive, then transfer back? Transferring them off my S3 took forever, I don't even want to think about this. Ugh. TIVO. :argh:

Guess I'll give this http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upgrade/ a try just for a laugh; even if it fails, I've got the original I can just slot back in and figure out another way later.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 3, 2014

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Just to follow up, the above method doesn't work - the rescue disk doesn't even recognize a TiVo drive has been hooked to the machine. So, back to square one - maybe ddrescue will work, but trying something that'll take four-six hours on Game of Thrones Day is not something I want to risk.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TiVo Person posted:

We will begin updating TiVo Roamio, TiVo Premiere, and TiVo Mini boxes with 20.4.1 "Spring Update" later today.

Here are some of the changes:
- addressed issues where customers were seeing V112 errors when trying to stream between boxes
- improved interaction with HDMI, and fixed cases where TiVo Mini was rebooting due to HDMI issues
- improvements to Netflix stability
- improvements to Roamio WiFi connectivity
- fixed a network flakiness issue for wired Ethernet Roamio boxes that had previously been connected to WiFi
- turned off the troublesome "overlapping recordings" behavior
- reduced the cases where a black screen appeared after watching a video
- YouTube and Opera Store Apps should now work with all video resolutions (not just 720p and greater)
- created a new V311 error message when an app requires 720p support, and the box has that resolution disabled
- support for playing cable video on demand on a DVR and a Mini simultaneously (or 2 Minis simultaneously) *if* the cable company's configuration supports it
- improved handling and messaging of C133 errors, and added a reference to our new site for updates related to outages: http://status.tivo.com
- VOD and apps can now be launched in C133 mode
- new "Default Recording Options" screen inside Settings > Recording to set your preferred "Keep at most", New/Reruns settings, and padding for new Season Passes and WishLists.

The update should be available some time after 4:30pm PT for those that signed up at http://tivo.com/priority yesterday. We will continue to update any new priority sign-ups every few days. If you decide not to sign up for the priority list, your box will automatically update some time within the next 30 days.

--Margret

P.S. We have some cool stuff lined up for the "Summer Update". It is a great time to join our Beta program if you want to be part of the (secret) inner circle: https://fieldtrials.tivo.com/signup/default.html

So nothing, blah, hopefully we will see major progress with the summer update but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
Alright, so this is weird but I just got an email from the Tivo store about an order for a slide remote with adapter that cost $0.00. I figured it was bullshit, but I logged onto my account and there's this order with a price of $0.00. Of course I changed my password right away and I don't have a credit card on file with Tivo since I bought the box with lifetime service from eBay so I've never directly paid TiVo for anything, so there's no way they can charge my card since they don't have it, but what the gently caress? Has anyone heard of them just shipping something like this out for no reason?

I took some survey recently about new features which supposedly entered me in a contest to win an Amazon gift certificate, but there wasn't any talk about getting a new remote out of the deal. I mean, I'll call them about it but thought I should check here if anyone's had something like this happen before since they're closed right now.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

Ev posted:

Alright, so this is weird but I just got an email from the Tivo store about an order for a slide remote with adapter that cost $0.00.

Just got an email, too. Seems to be happening to quite a few people:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=516933

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

MrNonacho posted:

Just got an email, too. Seems to be happening to quite a few people:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=516933
Interesting. I signed up for the early software update but I didn't notice any problems. But hey, free remote (unless it was all a screw up in their store).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I normally use Airplay for Pandora but I randomly decided to run Pandora on my Roamio and whoa, when did it stop looking like the old TiVo poo poo interface and instead look all sleek and not terrible?

• Locked thread