Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hopefully this should make some people happy (especially the price). $50, 4 tuners, OTA only:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/25/tivo-roamio-ota-dvr/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, but at $15 /month for the guide data (really, that much for what probably amounts to 6-10 stations in most areas?!?), you be better off just getting Hulu+ and buying anything not on there à la carte from your marketplace of choice (Amazon, Google Play, iTunes.)

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but at $15 /month for the guide data (really, that much for what probably amounts to 6-10 stations in most areas?!?), you be better off just getting Hulu+ and buying anything not on there à la carte from your marketplace of choice (Amazon, Google Play, iTunes.)

This. Their guide information isn't worth that much for a handful of channels. Now if the lifetime subscription is less than $200 we are talking.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think the problem is the subs fund their otherwise unsustainable business model.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The whole Tivo story is apparently them trying real hard to hide the actual costs of their service. I can understand when they were getting started they couldn't charge a grand for a box but nowadays they pretty much do if you pay for lifetime [now $500] but I guess that's still not enough. I guess they tried for so long to sell to cable companies instead of consumers but that never really worked out for them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As someone who's been fairly vocal about being unhappy about Tivo, the new update has resolved at least some of my complaints. Menus are much faster and the new folder organization makes suggestions less intrusive to have on.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

qirex posted:

The whole Tivo story is apparently them trying real hard to hide the actual costs of their service. I can understand when they were getting started they couldn't charge a grand for a box but nowadays they pretty much do if you pay for lifetime [now $500] but I guess that's still not enough. I guess they tried for so long to sell to cable companies instead of consumers but that never really worked out for them.

I still can't get over the fact that there's a monthly service fee on the Mini, even though it simply carves out a piece the hardware you've already purchased (and are paying service on), and place-shifts it within your house. You're paying twice for for the same thing.

I would've thought that half billion dollars from Echostar would've gone towards changing things, but here we are three years later with the same business model from 2000 and very little new on the features front.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Honestly $15 a month seems reasonable enough, I mean, what should it cost? They have been pretty good about regular updates, the guide data is near flawless and renting a DVR from the cable company costs what $10?

I'm going to accept that their awesome guide data and regular software updates costs money, what should I pay? $5? $2? $10? Maybe it is a tad on the expensive side, I dunno how much of it if is making up any below market cost on the hardware but $15 a month has never seemed outrageous to me.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

I still can't get over the fact that there's a monthly service fee on the Mini, even though it simply carves out a piece the hardware you've already purchased (and are paying service on), and place-shifts it within your house. You're paying twice for for the same thing.

I would've thought that half billion dollars from Echostar would've gone towards changing things, but here we are three years later with the same business model from 2000 and very little new on the features front.

There's a service fee because it's literally a whole roamio minus a tuner and HDD they're selling for ~$90, and they need to make money since you're probably replacing (or buying instead) of a full tivo you'd pay service on. The lifetime is so cheap on the mini compared to a full tivo, if you don't do lifetime it's just silly.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They also have to license the guide data. I'm guessing it went something like "Well, we have to charge SOMETHING to pay for the guide data, what is the most people will pay since it's not going to be zero."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

I'm going to accept that their awesome guide data

Tivo gets their guide data from Tribune Media Services like nearly every other cable company in existence. There's nothing special at all about it. Yes, they have to license it, but so do the cable companies.

We also need to stop pretending like there's $500 worth of hardware in these boxes anymore. The SoC isn't much more than you would find on any other set-top streamer in the $100 range (like a FireTV). This this one is OTA only, so it's not like they have to license out CableCard either.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I spoke too soon, maybe they're revising the pricing on the Mini to no longer be "$99 with an asterisk." Zatz has usually been pretty reliable on this stuff.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-08/tivo-to-drop-mini-service-fees/

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

I spoke too soon, maybe they're revising the pricing on the Mini to no longer be "$99 with an asterisk." Zatz has usually been pretty reliable on this stuff.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-08/tivo-to-drop-mini-service-fees/

I think that right around the $200 price point would be reasonable, and in reality it's only a $50 price break-- but the psychological factor of under $200 with no service fee is powerful.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Qwijib0 posted:

I think that right around the $200 price point would be reasonable, and in reality it's only a $50 price break-- but the psychological factor of under $200 with no service fee is powerful.

A $200 mini with no fee would get me to get a six tuner Roamio pro with lifetime and three TiVo Minis immediately. I gots old hardware to replace and the mini fee is the only hurdle.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-08/amazon-instant-vudu-coming-to-tivo/

loving FINALLY

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

God drat it, yes, yes, yes, yes. The Amazon app was poo poo, extremely limited catalog and they would take FOREVER to download, like 40 minutes to start watching a movie on my 30 Mbps connection. This was the dumbest oversight with TiVo, having a full VOD catalog especially if it is in the unified search adds a ton of value to TiVo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ever think you don't have enough TV in your life?

TiVo has the answer, the TiVo Mega

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/tivo-announces-tivo-mega-a-rackmount-dvr-with-six-tuners-and-24-tb/

24tb of storage in a 4u rack mount chassis. Yours for just $5k (I sure as hell hope that includes lifetime.)

quote:

With a release date currently scheduled for the first quarter of 2015, the Mega will come in a 10-bay, 19" rack-mount enclosure that appears to be 4U tall, judging from the PR images. The Mega's bays will be filled with hard drives in a RAID5 array, yielding 24TB of storage.

RAID 5 strikes me as a bad idea for what are likely 3tb drives. RAID6 would have been a better choice.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
And only 6 tuners? I don't know how many I feel like it should have but more than a Roamio seems in order, maybe 10?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That sounds like it's halfway between a normal Tivo and industrial strength multichannel monitoring systems. Maybe they can sell them to people who want to start media watchdog youtube channels?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

And only 6 tuners? I don't know how many I feel like it should have but more than a Roamio seems in order, maybe 10?

Probably didn't want the complexity of having two tuning adapters attached to one device, though for $5 K this seems like a solvable problem.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Thousands of hours of video, still can't watch them on an Android device or in a Web browser. :sigh:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I just up ironically looked at my rack to see if I could rearrange it to have 4U of space. Xbox Uno and OG Wii would have to go, but it may be possible. If my two Premiere XLs both died and the Mega was out I would consider it seriously.

Wait a second, I could just put the Mega in my home office closet, couldn't I?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

I just up ironically looked at my rack to see if I could rearrange it to have 4U of space. Xbox Uno and OG Wii would have to go, but it may be possible. If my two Premiere XLs both died and the Mega was out I would consider it seriously.

Wait a second, I could just put the Mega in my home office closet, couldn't I?

It probably has video out, but yeah, it's supposed to go in a rack and then just talk to minis.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
If you can afford five large for this, a couple Minis (now $149 with "free" lifetime service) aren't a major added expense.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
That's a lot of cash to throw down for something that won't be updated after a few years.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chemosh6969 posted:

That's a lot of cash to throw down for something that won't be updated after a few years.

I thought this product was positioned at the sort of person who buys a $12,000 argon purged HDMI cable with connectors made from an alloy of adamantium and mithril.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
20.4.4 Release Notes

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=520804 posted:

- You can set a Season Pass to record on all channels, instead of just one
- You can set up a Season Pass even if there is no episode airing in the next two weeks. (Shows may appear in Search up to six months before they first air.)
- New Home Shopping Network app in Apps & Games
- Updated Spotify app with an enhanced playlist and new look (in Music & Photos)
- Fixed the bug where Panel model would reset to Full mode after a restart
- Fixed a problem where some deleted shows never left the "Recently Deleted" folder
- Note: this release is required in order to use Android Streaming once the new Android App is released (expected at the end of this month)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=520804

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Still no 'record only reruns once, forever' option for season passes. The month-long timer for reruns is pretty worthless.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Qwijib0 posted:

Still no 'record only reruns once, forever' option for season passes. The month-long timer for reruns is pretty worthless.

I would love this. I hate duplicated shows but want to see previous entries. Such a hassle.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Bless that future Season Pass news.

Anyone do MoCA with minis and a Roamio? Experiences? Thoughts?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I've been waiting for that season pass for thing outside guide data for ages, yeesh.

Edit: I have a Roamio plus and a premiere 4 tuner hooked up via moca and it's fantastic. Streaming is as good as being on the unit the content is on. Plus the Roamio is a bridge for the game consoles downstairs so they don't have to be on wireless.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 10, 2014

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I work for Comcast with cable cards, usually the activation line fixes any problems you've got but if they don't shoot me a PM and I'll help get ya sorted out.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Deathlove posted:

Bless that future Season Pass news.

Anyone do MoCA with minis and a Roamio? Experiences? Thoughts?

I know someone who has a roamio+mini with draft-N wireless bridge, all you really need is a sustained ~20mbit because it won't transcode, and that's the max a channel could be but most are far less than that. I think tivo just wanted to make sure you know what you were getting into with not-ethernet so they didn't have to deal with support for flaky wifi or MoCA issues. Done with decent coax, MoCA should be fine.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Qwijib0 posted:

I know someone who has a roamio+mini with draft-N wireless bridge, all you really need is a sustained ~20mbit because it won't transcode, and that's the max a channel could be but most are far less than that. I think tivo just wanted to make sure you know what you were getting into with not-ethernet so they didn't have to deal with support for flaky wifi or MoCA issues. Done with decent coax, MoCA should be fine.

quote =/= edit

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dogen posted:

I've been waiting for that season pass for thing outside guide data for ages, yeesh.

Edit: I have a Roamio plus and a premiere 4 tuner hooked up via moca and it's fantastic. Streaming is as good as being on the unit the content is on. Plus the Roamio is a bridge for the game consoles downstairs so they don't have to be on wireless.

Your Premiere has built in MoCa? I had to get a moca adapter for the room with my premiere....

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ultimate Mango posted:

Your Premiere has built in MoCa? I had to get a moca adapter for the room with my premiere....

The 4-tuner Premiere, Premiere XL, and Roamio Plus/Pro have built-in MoCA. The original 2-tuner Premiere doesn't, and neither does the bottom-end 4-tuner Roamio.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

The 4-tuner Premiere, Premiere XL, and Roamio Plus/Pro have built-in MoCA. The original 2-tuner Premiere doesn't, and neither does the bottom-end 4-tuner Roamio.

Yeah I think I have the original two tuner Premiere XLs that must not have MoCa. drat.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, that's the model I've got, too.

I actually use one of these things, combined with a little switch, to get network access to the TiVo/PS4/360 in my basement rec room. The vendor claims they can do 600Mbps. I haven't done anything to really test that, but I do know that stuff plugged in behind it can completely saturate my 100Mbit cable internet connection.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

I actually use one of these things, combined with a little switch, to get network access to the TiVo/PS4/360 in my basement rec room. The vendor claims they can do 600Mbps. I haven't done anything to really test that, but I do know that stuff plugged in behind it can completely saturate my 100Mbit cable internet connection.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/

I hope moca 2.0 hardware eventually gets made available to the public. My lame rear end cable company somehow managed to upgrade my area to 300mbit service, so I can't actually use all of it with moca devices. I may look into those power line options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

kitten smoothie posted:

I've tried powerline in the past and haven't been able to get it to work - been a few years, though. A lot of the problem was finding open plugs near the router to plug in to.

If the MoCA stuff works with just the Mini, I'm going to give http://amzn.com/B00CZ6WC3A a try to see if I can't get the lone computer in there working on non-spotty-WiFi, as well.

• Locked thread