Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, the one problem I had with the powerline adapter was that if either end is plugged into a surge strip, you lose a ton of bandwidth. I was getting ~5Mbps and crappy pixelated Netflix, and then I realized it's because the end on my router was plugged into a surge protector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
TiVo mini protip: Best Buy will price match their 149 TiVo mini that comes with lifetime to frys. Com which still has it listed at 88

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Got the Mini working through MoCA. What a futuristic world we live in!

Can't get it to make the XFINITY On Demand app show up, though - any thoughts? I've run through all the troubleshooting steps - it *does* work on Minis, right?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Time Warner changed their whole lineup. I ran guided setup and the right networks are on the right channels. Unfortunately all my season passes are now wrong. I deleted them and started readding them but quickly realized that most of them are still pulling the old incorrect channels and there's no way to edit them to use the correct channel. Not sure how to untangle this.

EDIT: I forced a Tivo connection.

1. It must've updated the guide because now most of the season passes I'm adding show the proper channel.
2. Some are still messed up in that the the season pass search indicates the show is HD when I try to add the pass it selects the SD channel. Looking at upcoming episodes it shows entries for both the SD and the HD channel, but the pass insists on using the SD one.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 18, 2014

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Android app update has streaming now.

My review: It works.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Deathlove posted:

Android app update has streaming now.

My review: It works.

If you have a Roamio or (and/or?) a Stream, I think. No dice with my Premiere.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The Roamio middle and high models (forget names) have streaming built-in, everything else you would need a stream box

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
A mini and a slingbox, though more expensive than the stream, will get you a better experience if you don't want to download episodes because you can watch live TV without the 'start a recording' hack, the sling apps work on rooted/jailbroken devices, and there's no restriction on what channels you can watch-- stream respects CCI bytes.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Qwijib0 posted:

A mini and a slingbox, though more expensive than the stream, will get you a better experience if you don't want to download episodes because you can watch live TV without the 'start a recording' hack, the sling apps work on rooted/jailbroken devices, and there's no restriction on what channels you can watch-- stream respects CCI bytes.

God I feel like an idiot, I have an SD Slingbox that I have almost replaced with an HD one at a huge discount several times but since TWC flags every loving channel and I don't need 6 tuners I went with a regular Roamio so no component out, I should have put a HD Slingbox and a Mini in my bedroom. Hopefully one will go on sale in the near future again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Slingboxes have chromecast support now too which makes it even more of a no brainer. It's now trivial to extend HD home TV, dvr recordings, or OnDemand to any screen provided you have fast enough internet on both ends.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

2. Some are still messed up in that the the season pass search indicates the show is HD when I try to add the pass it selects the SD channel. Looking at upcoming episodes it shows entries for both the SD and the HD channel, but the pass insists on using the SD one.

It is stranger than that: it can and will pick up HD recordings off a channel that should be SD. I think the channel lists and Hd descriptors are borked.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do either of you use an external SDV adapter? That sounds very much like what I see when mine needs a reboot and what happened around the time that TWC changed my lineup a few months ago (in NYC).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Are you sure that you still have SD and HD channels? Time Warner recently redid my lineup and completely eliminated the SD/HD separate channels, if you have an HD receiver (Including TiVo) and tune to the old SD channel which now has a new channel number as well it gives you the HD feed. I say old SD channel with a new channel number because the old SD channels were remapped so if you had a recording on an old SD channel it still works, the HD channels were not remapped so if you had a HD channel season pass the channel is gone and the season pass is borked.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Three Olives posted:

Are you sure that you still have SD and HD channels? Time Warner recently redid my lineup and completely eliminated the SD/HD separate channels, if you have an HD receiver (Including TiVo) and tune to the old SD channel which now has a new channel number as well it gives you the HD feed. I say old SD channel with a new channel number because the old SD channels were remapped so if you had a recording on an old SD channel it still works, the HD channels were not remapped so if you had a HD channel season pass the channel is gone and the season pass is borked.

It was a mix of doubled-up HD channels replacing the SD ones, and numbering changes. In the end I rebuilt all the old Season Passes I could. It's so nice to watch only HD content.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TiVo posted:

Ready for more content? Today, TiVo brings you even more access to watch, rent and buy HD movies and TV Shows with the launch of VUDU, Walmart’s subscription-free, video-on-demand movie service. The VUDU application enables users to rent or purchase new-release movies and TV shows, as well as access a fully customized UltraViolet cloud library.

VUDU’s recently expanded catalog features newly added TV shows from CBS, Comedy Central, HBO, MTV, National Geographic, Nickelodeon and SHOWTIME, as well as blockbuster movies, Hollywood classics, and independent films. VUDU content purchased via the TiVo service is viewable on other VUDU-enabled devices or platforms, including game consoles, Internet-connected Blu-ray players and HDTVs, tablets, computers and more. Also, content purchased on any of these platforms can be viewed through the TiVo service.

God finally a decent video on demand service for TiVo, even if it is from Walmart.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I'm struggling a bit. I have had a TiVo for seven years, and I love it dearly, but cost demanded we cut our cable last year, and I've been using the TiVo as a very handy content server (using a combination of Sickbeard and pyTivo). But after seeing an ad for Chromecast, it occurred to me... I'm paying a monthly fee for something that my PC and a Chromecast could handle for a one-time $35 charge, right?

I've since gotten a Chromecast and set up Plex and everything and, while there are some issues (I've discovered how horrible/old my wireless routers are) it's making me wonder: Is there any point to still using the TiVo? Apart from easy access to timeshifting live TV, which I very very rarely watch, or the ability to easily rewind (a little bit of lag on Plex) or slomo (not available on Plex), is there any reason?

I guess I'm asking this as a plea for confirmation because I really don't like the idea of abandoning my TiVo but this really seems like a better solution.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Not really if you're not recording live TV, honestly. I use my PS3 similarly to how you're using that chromecast. If I didn't have cable I'd have use for the TiVo.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can anybody tell me how the Tivo Roamio compares to the latest Dish Hopper DVR?

I've been a Dish customer for a long time, but I'm getting a little tired of their contract disputes and they also don't offer a channels that my local cable provider does (Service Electric).

Also, how fast is the Tivo guide and menus? The last time I used it (2012 model?), the UI was pretty slow still even after their "speed improvements" ...

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Vinlaen posted:

Can anybody tell me how the Tivo Roamio compares to the latest Dish Hopper DVR?

I've been a Dish customer for a long time, but I'm getting a little tired of their contract disputes and they also don't offer a channels that my local cable provider does (Service Electric).

Also, how fast is the Tivo guide and menus? The last time I used it (2012 model?), the UI was pretty slow still even after their "speed improvements" ...

The Roamio with the summer update is waaaay faster than the old UI. Leaps and bounds better.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The update even sped up my Premiere 4 tuner. It's indistinguishable from the Roamio (so far as I can tell since they aren't side by side).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

My understanding is after they got rid of their idiotic flash interface all of the boxes fly now, I have zero complaints about the speed of my Roamio.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I have a couple of questions about a Roamio Plus and Tivo mini combo (I notice you can do the 'whole house' thing for $15/mo total currently).

I'm thinking of having a Roamio Plus in the living room, connected to both cable and wired Ethernet. The minis would be in other rooms with only a cable connection.

1) That's all I'd need, right? No Moca adapter boxes or anything?

2) With a setup like that, could you run an app like Netflix or Amazon Video in two or more rooms simultaneously? As in, watch one movie on Netflix in one room, and another movie on Netflix in another?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

1) correct
2) probably?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I have a couple of questions about a Roamio Plus and Tivo mini combo (I notice you can do the 'whole house' thing for $15/mo total currently).

I'm thinking of having a Roamio Plus in the living room, connected to both cable and wired Ethernet. The minis would be in other rooms with only a cable connection.

1) That's all I'd need, right? No Moca adapter boxes or anything?

2) With a setup like that, could you run an app like Netflix or Amazon Video in two or more rooms simultaneously? As in, watch one movie on Netflix in one room, and another movie on Netflix in another?

yes, the roamio plus/pro act as a ethernet->moca bridge and the minis would just be on the network as if they had ethernet too, so all the internet apps would work as expected.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks, I was wondering if the Mini actually was running a local app or "streaming" the app from the Roamio.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Anybody have any experience with ordering PPVs on Roamios? I've got Xfinity On Demand working, so, in theory it should work, but I don't want to drop $50 to find out it's not going to.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-01/tivo-onepass/

CES time means TiVo news, and this seems Good - a big advancement/addition to Universal Search.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wow, coming in February. That's got to be some kind of record for them, I was expecting deployment to "select models" in September with the rest in Q4.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

qirex posted:

Wow, coming in February. That's got to be some kind of record for them, I was expecting deployment to "select models" in September with the rest in Q4.

TiVo is turning things around and implementing features that should have been there years ago JUST as they are becoming irrelevant.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Deathlove posted:

http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-01/tivo-onepass/

CES time means TiVo news, and this seems Good - a big advancement/addition to Universal Search.

Holy. poo poo. FINALLY.

I've wanted this for so long. Drives me insane to try to track down each episode in a season, find others and make sure I didn't miss anything. The episode sorting by recoded time makes sense except when trying to watch them in order. TiVo knows what seasons each episode is in. They are finally capitalizing on this. I'm really hoping the box will be less of an idiot with recording things I've already watched (over and over and over).

WOO HOOOOOOOOO.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

qirex posted:

Well, they seem to have unified the features from premiere to roamio, so hopefully 'select models' will stop being a thing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Dogen posted:

Well, they seem to have unified the features from premiere to roamio, so hopefully 'select models' will stop being a thing.

Once they got rid of their idiotic Flash based platform the Premiere had enough horsepower to run pretty much anything because before it was running an idiotic resource devouring trainwreck of a system and yet still mostly useable, I think everything pretty much has parity now that they don't have to do any weird tricks or play and resource games to just get the Premiere to not suck, it can just run the same app code that the Roamio uses just fine.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Dogen posted:

https://twitter.com/tivodesign/status/552532561063575555

Amazon Instant with Prime is coming with the OnePass update for Premiere, so I think that'd be it, feature-wise?

God, this with Xfinity On Demand. This thought pleases me.

please build a simpsonsworld app

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 6, 2015

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Local cable carrier, please start carrying FXX, because it is basically the only online service I can't get that I care about :(

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Deathlove posted:

https://twitter.com/tivodesign/status/552532561063575555

Amazon Instant with Prime is coming with the OnePass update for Premiere, so I think that'd be it, feature-wise?

God, this with Xfinity On Demand. This thought pleases me.

please build a simpsonsworld app

I'm really disappointed that they didn't announce new streaming partners. Actually what I would kill for is for TiVo to license the Roku framework, how loving amazing would it be if TiVo could run Roku channels?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just carrying FXX isn't enough, the carriage agreement has to include the streaming stuff. Just ask any FiOS tv subscriber...

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

jink posted:

Holy. poo poo. FINALLY.

I've wanted this for so long. Drives me insane to try to track down each episode in a season, find others and make sure I didn't miss anything. The episode sorting by recoded time makes sense except when trying to watch them in order. TiVo knows what seasons each episode is in. They are finally capitalizing on this. I'm really hoping the box will be less of an idiot with recording things I've already watched (over and over and over).

WOO HOOOOOOOOO.

I have seen nothing to suggest that it will ignore the present 30 day repeat limit on recording (instead of tracking watched/unwatched per episode perpetually)

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

I'm really disappointed that they didn't announce new streaming partners. Actually what I would kill for is for TiVo to license the Roku framework, how loving amazing would it be if TiVo could run Roku channels?

opera TV store has a lot of options-- I don't own a roku so I can't say if they are comparable.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Qwijib0 posted:

opera TV store has a lot of options-- I don't own a roku so I can't say if they are comparable.

Really? I looked a few months ago and it looked like 99% useless trash and 1% mostly useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I'd honestly almost rather have a TiVo channel on the Roku. Upgraded my base model (not OTA) roamio to 3tb this evening, feels good man. :)

• Locked thread