Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Supposedly the TiVo app now supports AirPlay. They're hitting the ball out of the park lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Supposedly the TiVo app now supports AirPlay. They're hitting the ball out of the park lately.

local network only, so it's really if you have an appletv on another tivo in your house without a mini. There's probably some VPN hackery you could do though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Because odd form factors and white devices have always worked well in home theater components....

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/30/tivo-bolt-4k-commercial-skipmode/

The software side is looking a bit better though and saying that a FireTV app is in the works means cheap streamers throughout your house which is pretty nice. That may actually tip the value proposition in its favor for once for me.

But, ugh....WHITE.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Because odd form factors and white devices have always worked well in home theater components....

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/30/tivo-bolt-4k-commercial-skipmode/

The software side is looking a bit better though and saying that a FireTV app is in the works means cheap streamers throughout your house which is pretty nice. That may actually tip the value proposition in its favor for once for me.

But, ugh....WHITE.

It seems to be missing a cable card slot. Are the days of cable card TiVos over?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you dig into the product info under the support site, one guide states the slot is on the underside.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
my favorite part of "skip"is how they're doing it: via mechanical turk. People are literally watching shows at tivo HQ then marking in and out points of commercials that are pushed to people who recorded that copy of the show.

With the free year of service, the small one is only $150 really, might think about upgrading.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I question WHY they need the mechanical turk doing it. ReplayTV had the functionality nailed on normal analog cable (so the algorithm had to deal with signal noise on the blank screens.) I owned one of those replayTVs and the functionality was really perfect.

I'm almost wondering if the mechanical turk is exploiting a legal loophole to keep themselves from being sued. At that point, it's not an algorithm to circumvent advertising, it's simply a social bookmarking feature.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Quickmode also looks neat, 30% speedup with pitch adjustment. Perfect for plowing through late night TV over breakfast.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I question WHY they need the mechanical turk doing it. ReplayTV had the functionality nailed on normal analog cable (so the algorithm had to deal with signal noise on the blank screens.) I owned one of those replayTVs and the functionality was really perfect.

I'm almost wondering if the mechanical turk is exploiting a legal loophole to keep themselves from being sued. At that point, it's not an algorithm to circumvent advertising, it's simply a social bookmarking feature.

I suspect it's 50/50-- replay used to look for flags in the metadata lines of video of NTSC that don't exist anymore, and with early HD you could look for clear breaks int the program stream. With every cableco recompressing in myriad ways it's probably not as reliable.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Qwijib0 posted:

Quickmode also looks neat, 30% speedup with pitch adjustment. Perfect for plowing through late night TV over breakfast.

Yeah, I'm psyched for Quickmode to hit my Roamio. Is there a video of it in action or anything? Hard to imagine how it keeps everything going.

Not going to make this jump just because I don't think commercial skip is a big enough thing to get me to jump, and I've already got MoCa/Mini set up and working fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Deathlove posted:

Yeah, I'm psyched for Quickmode to hit my Roamio.

Did you see something specifically that said they were going to backport Quickmode and Quickskip?

On their product page, they specifically call out the Roamio as lacking those features without anything indicating that they may get them in the future. To me, that seems to indicate that they are going to be exclusive features to the Bolt line.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Yeah it said that quick mode was being back ported. Kmttg also has a commercial detect and cut plug in that seems to work decently, so there's got to be some algorithm that works.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's because they got a new columnist, but The Verge actually gave the TiVo Bolt a good review. I think a TiVo must have killed one of their family members for all the terrible reviews they've given the boxes over the last couple of years.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wonder if new UI is rolling out to roamios. I love my tivo units. Just got a tivo stream.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd imagine when my Premiere dies that will be the end of my Tivo career, the price and overall jank [there's still SD screens in the UI, no Hulu, no HDMI-CEC as far as I can tell] and overall direction of lameness are just too much. I don't see them surviving the end of some of their more important patents [which is coming, "time warp" was granted in 2001]. The TivoCommunity forums are going nuts over the lack of upgrade path but I think it's obvious at this point that they are finally trying to cut off lifetime users.

This thing just doesn't seem done yet but they crapped it out to hit the holiday season anyway.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

I'd imagine when my Premiere dies that will be the end of my Tivo career, the price and overall jank [there's still SD screens in the UI, no Hulu, no HDMI-CEC as far as I can tell] and overall direction of lameness are just too much. I don't see them surviving the end of some of their more important patents [which is coming, "time warp" was granted in 2001]. The TivoCommunity forums are going nuts over the lack of upgrade path but I think it's obvious at this point that they are finally trying to cut off lifetime users.

This thing just doesn't seem done yet but they crapped it out to hit the holiday season anyway.

They probably are, lifetime is a disincentive for you to upgrade to a new box. Tivocommunity is full of special hardcore people who are in love with lifetime and have 5 boxes apiece with terabytes of storage, but If you're not that guy, the bolt pricing is fine.

I am still on my original series3 month to month $12/mo plan, so the annual $149 comes out to $12.50 so that's a wash. Because I'm month to month, it's now a $150 product since you get a year of service. If the bolt has fixed the live TV streaming experience (no more start a record then watch it), then it's a zero dollar proposition for people who also wanted a slingbox (or a stream) because that's $150. $12/mo plus cablecard rental is still less than some cableco DVR rentals, and though things like X1 have made that better, tivo still has the edge, especially now that they have comcast and cox VOD apps-- and the cable DVR won't stream to your tablet outside the home or skip commercials.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't blame Tivo for ditching lifetime, I don't think they ever imagined people would be using their Tivos for 10 years without updating and I think $150/year with the first year included is a decent price, I just don't think I'm going to bother. Recurring revenue is almost always better than one-time, that's like business 101 but for someone like me who's teetering on the brink of cord-cutting I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade, especially when they haven't fixed any of the things I don't like about it. It's not bad, it's just not for me.

And I agree, the people on TivoCommunity are mostly weirdos.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If I don't replace my tivo when it breaks it'll be because I'm finally fed up with external SDV adapters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My main disincentive to getting a TiVo now is I honestly don't know how much longer I'll have normal linear cable service. Now, the TiVo wouldn't be completely useless as it could still be used for OTA programming, but most of that is available on Hulu right now commercial free so why bother recording it?

I'm going to watch this space. If the fireTV comes out and works well and they offer the drat thing in a black case, it may get my interest.

It may sound dumb that white is a deal breaker, but yeah, white is a deal breaker. Not only do white electronics never age well, every other drat thing in my entertainment center is black right now so I'm not going to insert some eye drawing white object into it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Now, the TiVo wouldn't be completely useless as it could still be used for OTA programming, but most of that is available on Hulu right now commercial free so why bother recording it?

It might just be me, but between football and the local news, Hulu can't replace the TiVo, yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I have the internet for news and I couldn't care less about televised sports. So, that's not an issue for me.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

You can pry my Lifetime TiVos from my cold, dead hands. I have no doubt that I will get an offer to roll lifetime service from a current Premier to a new Bolt for a low low low fee of $500 and I will jump all over it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ultimate Mango posted:

You can pry my Lifetime TiVos from my cold, dead hands. I have no doubt that I will get an offer to roll lifetime service from a current Premier to a new Bolt for a low low low fee of $500 and I will jump all over it.

It sounds like lifetime on a Bolt is $600 as is (at least if you believe the TiVo Community people who called in and were told it's offered, just not published). So they'd have to do a lot better than $500 to get me to jump over, because that doesn't shave a whole lot of time off of the breakeven point.

At standard pricing you've got to sit on the thing for 5 years. I have zero idea what I'll be doing for TV in 5 years and whether I'd still be using it by then. I can't see into the future, but what I do know is that cable/DVR are a shitton less relevant to me now than 5 years ago. I've killed cable 2 years ago and I've got my lifetime'd Premiere just hooked up to an OTA antenna, so.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What resources do you guys use to find new stuff to watch? I'm having a hard time justifying my cable cost, although I do watch loads of sports.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

beergod posted:

What resources do you guys use to find new stuff to watch? I'm having a hard time justifying my cable cost, although I do watch loads of sports.

http://www.pajiba.com/tv_reviews/ and the NPR pop culture happy hour podcast.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You know, after all these years, I can't believe I'm finding myself considering a Tivo. Maybe it's because I'm finally getting fed up with the Quantum DVR from Verizon. I don't really have an issue with the interface, but with every update they've been making the performance worse. In the end, the Quantum serivce is just overpriced for the sub par evolution of the service. I would be giving up 6 tuners and going down to 4 with the Bolt and be giving up VOD. But at the same time, most of the premium channel VOD I can get just as easily from those channel's apps.

The biggest thing is price is actually lining up that makes the ROI make sense which has never happened before on a short timeframe.

Fios Quantum with two TVs (one VMS and one IPC) costs:

$22.00/ month for Fios Quantum Enhanced
$19.98/ month two TV equipment rental.

So, I'm paying $41.98 /month or $503.79 a year on the Quantum equipment.

New Bolt with 1tb of storage and 1 year of service is $399. Even with tax and factoring in the $60 it's going to cost to rent a cablecard for a year, I break even the first year and start saving after that. That's unprecedented with Tivo so far. The Roamio Plus gives two additional tuners, but it would take a bit longer to break even and it couldn't eventually be used for OTA (plus it's just too big, I couldn't fit it in my normal spot.)

This is giving me something serious to think about here. Probably not going to act right away due to the backlog I have on my current DVR, but possibly soon.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
TiVo really does seem to be "getting it" and "doing the right thing" in many ways recently. My gut says it's too little too late but who knows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh hey what the hell, I can always return it if it's not doing it for me.

1TB Bolt coming up.

Box

Unpacked

Unit itself is quite small and light

AC Adapter, HDMI cable, batteries, and remote

Thinking about it, it really didn't make sense to wait until after I finished up the stuff on my DVR to get it. At most I'd be saving myself a handful of dollars if it takes me more than a month to migrate so I decided to grab one and check it out. If for some reason I don't feel it's worthwhile, I'll just return it to Best Buy.

For tonight, I'll connect it OTA. I'll stop by the FiOS store on the way home from work tomorrow and pick up a cable card (or order one if I'm too lazy.)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Ota with lifetime for $300

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0148ZRFVO?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=15e3bed26af111e58668fec39d4dd1010000

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So, uh, did they do away with the $150/yr plan for Roamios? Mine runs out next month, and it no longer seems to be an option.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, I'm about ready to take this thing back right away because the first thing I saw when I paused the video was an AD above the scrub bar. That is more intrusive than anything I've ever seen in the 7 years I've had FiOS TV. Instantly soured me to it right out of the gate.

I'll give it awhile to see how often they pop up, but goddamn is that a bad foot to start on.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

bull3964 posted:

So, I'm about ready to take this thing back right away because the first thing I saw when I paused the video was an AD above the scrub bar. That is more intrusive than anything I've ever seen in the 7 years I've had FiOS TV. Instantly soured me to it right out of the gate.

I'll give it awhile to see how often they pop up, but goddamn is that a bad foot to start on.

This has been happening since at least the Series 3 days. Is this your first TiVo since before then?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Brock Landers posted:

This has been happening since at least the Series 3 days. Is this your first TiVo since before then?

This is my first TiVo period. I was a ReplayTV person back in the day.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

bull3964 posted:

This is my first TiVo period. I was a ReplayTV person back in the day.

Yea it's a thing now. They used to pop up in the menus once in a while too but I haven't seen one in ages. I don't find it that intrusive but I can understand how it could be annoying. Dunno if this will work on the new Tivos but it's worth a try:
http://zatznotfunny.com/2014-07/banish-tivo-pause-menu-ads/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Brock Landers posted:

Yea it's a thing now. They used to pop up in the menus once in a while too but I haven't seen one in ages. I don't find it that intrusive but I can understand how it could be annoying. Dunno if this will work on the new Tivos but it's worth a try:
http://zatznotfunny.com/2014-07/banish-tivo-pause-menu-ads/

Yeah, saw that, it does work (doesn't bong though). The quick flicker of it the pause screen might be more annoying though.

Changed the 30 second scan to 30 second skip with one of the codes though.

The commercial skip works as advertised.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, saw that, it does work (doesn't bong though). The quick flicker of it the pause screen might be more annoying though.

Changed the 30 second scan to 30 second skip with one of the codes though.

The commercial skip works as advertised.

If you are a plex user, have you tried the plex app on the bolt, and if so is it laggy at all?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Qwijib0 posted:

If you are a plex user, have you tried the plex app on the bolt, and if so is it laggy at all?

I am not a plex user, so I can't help you there.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I can say i use plex on a Roamio OTA and its perfectly servicable.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

I can say i use plex on a Roamio OTA and its perfectly servicable.

I use it on my cheap-model roamio and it's fine, but It's laggier than I want. That'd be another reason to jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wouldn't mind the ads, except you used to be able to do the Tivo Button -> Channel Down -> Enter -> Channel Down -> Enter to put it in standby and they stuck an ad that you catch when you channel down and it's really easy to click on some garbage I'd never click on accident.

I wouldn't care if tivo and my tuner adapter didn't play so poorly together, but as it is, tivo has problems if it's on tuning into certain stations if it's not in standby or I'm not watching to help it.

• Locked thread