Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just called Time Warner in NYC to set up a cableCARD, and they told me that they will only provide cards for a handful of specific Tivo models (not including mine). Now what? Go argue at the service center? Call back and lie about the model number to get the tech to show up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bradzilla posted:

Does this mean no PPV at all, or would I still be able to call Comcast and manually place an order for a PPV?

No PPV at all. A CableCARD device like a tivo can't receive them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Which shouldn't really be all that painful once you get the Harmony configured.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A channel has disappeared off my Tivo and I'm sure it's one I'm supposed to be getting. Is there anything I can do from this end to diagnose it or should I just go ahead and call the cable company?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kilson posted:

Tivo didn't give you a message about the channel lineup changing? (I seem to get at least one such message a week - hooray Comcast?)

It gives me those so often and about channels I care so little about that I just glaze over them. I guess I did miss an important message because the channel I wanted had just been relocated. Thanks!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When I switch my TV to the Tivo input, I get a bright green screen and a horribly loud buzzing sound that I take to mean that the HDMI handshake failed. Is this the sort of thing that can be fixed by a reboot, or do I start worrying?

(I haven't rebooted it yet because it's in the middle of taping something.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deathlove posted:

Only one way to find out - rebooting's always fixed the random problem with video output.

Yeah, it did, but I also discovered that the tivo had been entirely frozen for all that time and none of last night's shows were recorded. Doh.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Time Warner is paying me to keep my old cable box in the closet while I use the Tivo. If I turn it in to them, it will invalidate some secret bundle discount clause in the service agreement and my cost will end up higher than if I just let it gather dust.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Golbez posted:

I don't know how big uncompressed video is, I guess.

True uncompressed HD video consumes hundreds of megabytes per second and can only be handled on serious workstations with huge RAID setups. Even within real editing rooms much of the work is done with media that's been compressed in some way just for logistics (and because the computer can re-apply the edits to the uncompressed version later automatically).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Whenever I try to tune into Comedy Central HD on Time Warner in New York (channel 745), the tivo instantly crashes and has to be rebooted. Is this just TWC bungling something spectacularly, or is my device starting to die?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tivos can already stream, the main reason any given tivo will fail to stream any given recording is that it obeys the copy protection metadata applied to it by your cable company. Supporting additional streaming formats and technologies will not fix this, it's a different sort of problem.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

Being able to stream your videos from other places on your network would be a really big deal and position them better against boxee, and WDTV.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I already have a utility on my computer that will play shows off the Tivo (ok, download and then play, but that's a trivial difference). The capability is there in the box. It will let me space-shift any show that is not copy protected- but that's virtually none of what I record, because Time Warner throws the no-copy flag on everything. Having a fancy streaming server with an interface and a transcoder and DLNA inside the tivo will not get around this flag or their policy of obeying it.

In other news, my tivo continues to be unable to receive Comedy Central HD without crashing after a few minutes. So long, Jon Stewart's pores, I hardly knew ye.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So not only did they announce wholly underwhelming features, they announced wholly underwhelming features that don't actually exist? Nice job.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does this mean Time Warner will stop paying me to keep a cable box in my closet?

(When I tried to turn it in and go CC-only, they told me the total monthly fee would be higher if I removed it from my account. Go figure.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:science: The tuners are in the Tivo (or other CableCard device) itself, the card only performs decryption of digital channels.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chemosh6969 posted:

If you have an ipad, the Tivo app will let you.

If your goal is to not lose certain things, set them to "keep until I delete".

You can also copy a bunch of stuff to your PC using Tivo Desktop, then delete that stuff from the Tivo. When you get back, you can always transfer it back to the tivo from the PC.

Another feature, which I think should be in an OP that's updated is that series 2 and up have a web server you can access and download your shows from.

You can't do anything fancy other than downloading shows remotely.

I assume this still obeys the do-not-copy flags, right? So on certain rear end in a top hat cable providers the feature is completely neutered?

e: And it's all academic as the app says my Tivo is too old to be supported.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chemosh6969 posted:

I've had a tivo for around 10 years and have only run into a couple of shows like that with Charter.

Time Warner sets the flag indiscriminately on every non-network channel. I haven't been able to use any of the Tivo's transfer features, ever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My cablecard has remained provisioned for at least four years now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not interested in the streaming until they tell me it can't be completely neutered by cable companies setting the no-copy flag on their entire lineup (thanks, Time Warner).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IR is godawful technology and I wish the whole industry would conspire to kill it like the computer industry did to everything that wasn't USB.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Time Warner recently changed my lineup, so I'm trying to get the Tivo to redownload the channel listing. How long is this supposed to take? I left it sitting there for over two hours and it's still just on "preparing".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got a CableCARD several years ago and a guy had to come to my house to personally insert it into the Tivo. Glad to know it's gotten a lot better.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't suppose this will make it down to my old Series 3?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That sounds like it's halfway between a normal Tivo and industrial strength multichannel monitoring systems. Maybe they can sell them to people who want to start media watchdog youtube channels?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do either of you use an external SDV adapter? That sounds very much like what I see when mine needs a reboot and what happened around the time that TWC changed my lineup a few months ago (in NYC).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If I don't replace my tivo when it breaks it'll be because I'm finally fed up with external SDV adapters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm finally fed up with my antediluvian Series 3 and looking to replace it, but I'm confused by Tivo's current product line. The Roamio Pro is way more DVR than I need but the Bolt seems to have a lot of extraneous features (all I want it to do is record digital cable) and I hate the curved case. Other online stores have a listing for a much cheaper non-Pro Roamio but it's nowhere on the official site, was this discontinued or something? What subtle things would I give up by getting one based on the last-generation architecture?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm definitely not getting the Pro, just trying to decide between the Bolt and the midrange Roamio.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't know what that is either but I'm guessing it's the reason all the movies in my guide are now described with punched-up ad copy in place of the hilariously prosaic language they used a few days ago.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, now that I'm checking I see several shows are missing episodes and just have "<channel> Programming" in their time slot. And I'm in the largest US media market so everywhere else is probably super hosed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
CC still has "Comedy Central Programming" in the Daily Show/@Midnight slot for all of next week (although strangely tonight and tomorrow are correct). Is there a command to make the Tivo refresh its listings somewhere in the menu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That fixed up all the errors I had spotted so far, thanks.

• Locked thread