Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Dark Souls 2 comes out on PC in 13 days, it's already been a month, what are some things I should know?

(I've beaten Dark Souls a few times.)

The new Adaptability stat will help DS2 feel more like DS1: it increases the amount of invincibility you get from rolling, and the speed at which you chug estus and some other things. I feel it starts feeling good at around 12-15.

Backstabs are a little harder to pull off and do a bit less damage. The kick is replaced by a sort of bashing attack, that lets you punish enemies hiding behind shields.

You need to wait a moment to take advantage of parries. Parry someone, then wait for them to fall back flat on their rear end and right weapon them for a critical hit.

Maces, clubs, and other strike weapons are basically cheating outside of pvp. Dual-wielded clubs will wreck most of the game pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Echoing what ducttape said, but if you want a more RTS'y gangster game that isn't the godawful gangsters 2, try gangland. An overlooked gem in the gog.com library.

Just picked this up, because I'm ga-ga for organized crime games, even if most of them are horribly horrible.

So... what should I know before I player Gangland?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How about Space Rangers HD? I checked the wiki and didn't see anything. Got it in the weekly sale and man, its confusing so far. The tutorial didn't help much "Go here, but we're not gonna tell you HOW to go there."

Any advice for the first two games is pretty solid for HD. But in general:

It's a good idea to start off with the improved engine and fuel bin because the best way to make money early on is by running delivery missions for planets. Go to a planet and click on the leftmost icon (Columned building thing) and ask for a mission. Early on kill missions are horrible and the ground combat game is a take it or leave it (I play the first one because it's a dead simple tutorial, then tell the game I don't want to play any more of them), but the easy money is in take item to planet B or keep ship alive.

The keep ship alive missions get harder later on because everyone's packing more weapons, but at the start of the game you can usually ignore the 'defend this' ship and it'll be fine.

It's also a good idea to try and skim off of attacks on Dominator systems to get their loot and then turn that loot into research or ranger centers to get more cash/node points. For the parts, most of them are typed and if you check all three types of Dominators, you may find them listed as being x2. Sell them there for double your cash.

Tech gets better as the game progresses, but the size of equipment is almost completely detached from tech. Smaller is better since it A) gives you more space for other stuff B) the less stuff on your ship the faster you are and finally C) More cargo space to fill with dominator loot.

Some of the best gear in the game can only be found in wormholes. It's an arcade-like minigame that you can either rush or be very careful with to win. The artifact that gives healing in wormhole space is a very good thing for that. Also you can set it to be able to use two weapons at once in wormhole space by hitting shift and the weapon number. If you have paired weapons of the same type it's just that much easier to hit with them, but even if they're different you're massively improving your damage.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've created a page for "Legend of Dragoon" and put in a redirect to the "The Legend of Dragoon" page.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Taerkar posted:

It's a good idea to start off with the improved engine and fuel bin because the best way to make money early on is by running delivery missions for planets. Go to a planet and click on the leftmost icon (Columned building thing) and ask for a mission. Early on kill missions are horrible and the ground combat game is a take it or leave it (I play the first one because it's a dead simple tutorial, then tell the game I don't want to play any more of them), but the easy money is in take item to planet B or keep ship alive.

If you feel like taking the time to do them, ground combat missions can be extremely easy: first, get some robots to defend your base. Then make a robot with good movement and 4x rocket launchers. Then take control of it. Now you're out of the range of most things, and can pretty much slowly creep up on a base, destroying everything before they can even attack you. And when things can attack you with their own rockets, it's trivially easy to dodge out of the way. Repeat for all bases, reap rewards.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just started playing Fire Emblem: Awakening. Never played a Fire Emblem game before. Anything I should know re: strategy, systems, etc?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Sociopastry posted:

Nope, I'm a dumbass. Didn't even see the the. Also, what exactly am I missing if I don't get the stardusts? just a secret boss?
Some items and a secret boss. They're probably worth grabbing.

PantsBandit posted:

Just started playing Fire Emblem: Awakening. Never played a Fire Emblem game before. Anything I should know re: strategy, systems, etc?
- Play on Normal Classic, it's a pretty good intro difficulty.

- Frederick is a promoted unit and counts as a much higher level than your other dudes. This means that he gets way way less experience and using him will leave your other guys underleveled, and with some levels of their own most people will surpass him pretty easily. There is pretty much infinite experience in this game, unlike nearly all the others in the series, so it's not as a big a deal as it used to be, but Fred is meant to be a crutch early on rather than a long-term character. This has been a thing from the first game in the series.

- Around chapter 3 the game introduces the Pair Up game mechanic. Always use it, it makes your dudes way way way stronger.

The tips on the wiki are pretty good too.

BoxOfAids
Feb 22, 2013

Sociopastry posted:

Nope, I'm a dumbass. Didn't even see the the. Also, what exactly am I missing if I don't get the stardusts? just a secret boss?

"Just" the hardest boss fight in the game, harder than the final boss if you're not good at landing additions. You get items every 10 stardust you find (there are 50 total), and some of them are rare or one of a kind. Also LoD is mostly easy, I've replayed it probably 2-3 times post-childhood and I always overgrind and obliterate every boss fight while rarely using items. I beat the game once having used approximately 5 items over the 25+ hours the game takes to beat, because using the guard option is just that good. The high-speed characters are way OP - they tend to be "balanced" by having low base HP and physical stats, but high speed and magical stats. Now, that sounds balanced, but more turns = more guarding = more HP recovery, and they can also use their extra turns to use items, AND their final additions give a better % damage increase compared to high physical stat characters, so that the fast and weak characters do the same damage late game as the slow and strong characters, but get more attacks (so they're actually stronger).

But yeah, the only really important things are to use a stardust FAQ (some are missable permanently) and use a guide for re-usable items, which are items you can use once per battle but are never consumed, generally pretty strong ones... they're usually kind of hidden, or the chest they're in is behind a wall and you can only see a few pixels of it, things like that. There are also some majorly good accessory items that you can miss if you don't explore fully. Enjoy the game, it's one of my favorites!

BoxOfAids fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 17, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PantsBandit posted:

I have to disagree with theshim and instead suggest you play on Hard Casual.

If you play on Classic then you have permadeath. I personally found this made the series unplayable. The only way to play on Classic and not go mad every time you lose as single unit (as units have unique stories that they kinda have to, you know, be alive for) is to play on Easy, but Easy is for babies who don't know anything about strategy and if you like strategy you'll be bored to tears.

If you instead play on Hard Casual, then all you have to do is beat the level by any means necessary, there is no permadeath. So you don't have to reload the same game 5 times because on the last turn a sniper managed to kill one of your favorite characters, and you won't have to turn the difficulty down to avoid that. Hard offers a nice challenge so that each battle will push you, but you should be able to beat them just fine if you're not worrying too much about your losses.

To each his own, if you play Diablo or Xcom on Hardcore mode with permadeath then maybe that's for you, but personally I found the introduction of 'casual' in Awakening to be a godsend that finally allowed me to get into the series. Playing on Easy is boring to me, but losing all my dudes makes me feel like I'm missing out so I end up replaying the first 3 missions 20 times and never see the ending. Hard Casual means I'm constantly being challenged but I beat most levels the first time and get to see where the story goes.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I have to disagree with theshim and instead suggest you play on Hard Casual.
For someone who's literally never touched the series before, I'd say Normal Classic is the best intro - the difficulty is lower and getting used to using people as sacrificial lambs is a bad habit if you're planning on playing any of the other games in the series (which I recommend!). There is what to be said for playing on Casual just so you don't throw your 3ds across the room when the last enemy in an hour-long battle lands a 1% crit, but I'd still recommend Classic for a more series-true feeling.

Honestly, though, go with whatever you want, it's a video game, play it to have fun.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

That's really weird, as it's just Legend of Dragoon on the box art. Anyway, about the tips on the wiki- when it says to max out an addition before moving on, does that mean in the game/story, or just onto the next addition? Does anything bad happen if I don't get all the stardusts?

First off, there's a lot of different levels in the game. There's character level, dragoon level and addition level. You get new additions at various character levels, except for the final addition for each character. To unlock that, you need to master (pull off 80 successful additions) all the other additions for the character. So if you have say, 5 additions, you need to do 1-4 80 times each (this is a very grindy game, can you tell? :v:). After which you get the 5th addition, regardless of actual character level (which you then need to perform 80 times). The reason for all this is not only is the final addition usually the best overall, but it also makes your additions more powerful, every 20 you do(once you reach 80 successful, you don't get any more power, it caps at 99 because reasons). Even if you don't have the last addition unlocked, mastering them ASAP means any fights you get into get easier simply due to being able to hit harder.

In addition to all that, you get SP for successful attacks, and mastering additions gets more more SP(usually). SP goes into filling your dragoon bar, and all your SP gets saved and when you reach some total SP milestones, your dragoon level increases as well.

Stardusts give you extra items here and there for every 10, and unlocks a hard as balls bonus boss, with extra rewards if you beat it. That said, use a guide. You'll NEVER find them all on your own.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

PantsBandit posted:

To add on to the advice you've been getting, Unless you want sombody to be a particular class, wait until level 20 to promote them with the Master Seal, Second Seals lets you class change to any class, wait until level 10 if you're gonna end up cross classing right away.

You get class specific skills as you level up in a class, you can use these skill no matter what class you are as long as you have the space for them.

I forget the exact levels you get skill at for regular and "advanced" classes but it's pretty much in the later set of levels.

If you're not opposed to DLC making the game easier you'll want to download

Golden Gaffe (infinite money)

EXPonential Growth (infinite EXP grinding)

the OP of this thread has better explanations on the other stuff if you want to consider buying those as well.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528797&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post411596831

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Sorry for the double post, how about Company of Hereos I saw a bit of it in the Let's Play 2007 thread and it looked pretty interesting.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
One more Fire Emblem question guys: can love bloom on the battlefield?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Sorry for the double post, how about Company of Hereos I saw a bit of it in the Let's Play 2007 thread and it looked pretty interesting.

Company of Heroes is a really fantastic RTS that really re-invented the way RTS work. Unlike pretty much everything else you've played, which was based on Command & Conquer or Warcraft, themselves based on Dune II, Company of Heroes really changes it up. So forget everything you know about RTS!

Company of Heroes plays more like fast paced tabletop wargaming, in which you're moving units around to gain positioning and board control and force your opponent into engagements that you can win. Every war is a battle of attrition.

Base building almost doesn't exist, compared to games like starcraft or supreme commander where strategic base building is huge. The tech trees are somewhat simple compared to other RTS. You will lose units and build new ones and upgrade units, but its much more about what you do with the units you have then how many units you can poo poo out zerg style. Also if you try to mass up your troops in one big force and roll around the map, you'll lose. You have to hold multiple fronts and harass your enemy from multiple angles.

In some ways it feels like the game is more micro based than macro, you have FAR fewer units than in starcraft (even going so far as to group bunches of units into squads, and you can only control the squad as a whole) but you have more control over the squads. There's lots of unit abilities like warcraft3 taken even further. But you can't say its entirely about the micro because managing the entire battlefield is key; if you focus too much on one battle, you'll be losing somewhere else.

One example mechanic which you really don't want to overlook, which really changes up the tactics, is reinforcement. A unit in Company of Heroes isn't 1 dude, its a squad of dudes. So you'll have an infantry squad of like 5 British troops and 1 Sergeant that you upgraded to have a better weapon. As they fight, they'll take casualties. You still move this single squad around, but now its only 3 men, instead of 6. But you can pay to "reinforce" that squad, and you'll produce additional infantrymen to fill the squad back up to 6. You can do this nearby most buildings (I can't remember if you can do it anywhere or not) and it allows you to keep your units up to strength and holding lots of land without having to keep returning to your main HQ to produce new units, again, like you would in starcraft. This also means that losing an entire squad is far more devastating than if you're smart about skirmishing and you lose a few men and pull a tactical retreat.

The campaign is great and the game has a really good world war II feel to it. There's the Brits and Germans, and if you get the expansions, the Americans and Other-Germans. There's also a really amazing expansion that adds the Russians. You can probably get the game and expansions for cheap now. Its getting a bit old but the graphics were absolutely top-notch for its time and as such are still quite enjoyable.

There's so much to learn but its honestly pretty intuitive, just play the game a lot and think strategically. One of the best RTS games ever made.

Company of Heroes 2 has better graphics, but they changed a lot of balance things and generally everybody agrees they totally cocked it up, since CoH 1 was one of the best balanced and fun to play RTS there ever was, and CoH2 is simply okay. CoH2 also tries to push some microtransaction DLC bullshit on you from every turn.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 17, 2014

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

There's also a really amazing expansion that adds the Russians.

I'm not aware of this expansion, do you mean a mod?

CoH 2 is all about the Russians, but as you mention it isn't great.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I picked up a copy of Devil Survivor Overclocked the other day. Just checking to see if there's any additional stuff for the remake I should be aware of. Is Yuzu's path still the shortest to get into NG+? I heard her 8th Day actually makes the route worth playing now.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just bought Atelier Ayesha and literally know nothing about the series except that it involves alchemy and shops and poo poo. Any tips?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just bought Atelier Ayesha and literally know nothing about the series except that it involves alchemy and shops and poo poo. Any tips?

It's been a while since I played Atelier Ayesha, but I'll see what I can remember. I always feel like I say too much in these things.

Atelier Ayesha, and the other PS3 Atelier games, all have a time limit. For Ayesha, you have three years in-game to accomplish whatever you need to do. In Atelier Ayesha in particular, the time limit is very lenient and you shouldn't feel too pressured about the time limit. That being said, still try to be a bit efficient, and do pay more attention to getting the plot done on your last year. Once the main plot line is finished, the game will let you play out the remaining time.

Your time will be spent in four ways, travelling between locations, gathering items for synthesis, battling, and synthesizing items. The game, outside of the gathering, alchemy and battling also features a considerable amount of small cutscenes along with the main story line. The best way to experience it all is to continue to travel around and change your party every so often.

Alchemy plays a big part in the game, helping contribute to improving your equipment and accessories, and providing Ayesha with attack and healing items, which will make her the most useful character in combat. The battle system will help make up for any difficulties with alchemy, and mastery of the system is really only required for secret bosses.

There are multiple endings you can trigger at the end of the game, and all of the ones you trigger can be chosen from a list. A guide can help if you want to get all the endings in one go or if you have trouble activating events to get one of them.

In general you can just play the way you want and if you enjoy the game, you can speed through a New Game +, to experience different endings. You can definitely take the story at your own pace and just try different things, but I'll proceed to tell you some other tips regardless.

---

When you get to a location on the map, its normally best to try to collect everything as possible in a location, as it can unlock other locations. Of course, don't worry about it once your basket is full. Battling is also based on the amount of turns Ayesha takes in battle, so finishing battles quickly will save you time. For difficult battles, keep in mind the Protect Ally support will make the character unable to be killed as long as they have more then one HP, which could be useful if you're having trouble with the battle system.

You can normally synthesize as you want. I would normally try to at least make new attack items as they become available to make battles easier. Fulfilling the requests is another reason to keep up with synthesizing. Items are Ayesha's strength in battle and make her the most useful character in combat when supported properly and will be important in making the game easier.

All items have traits that can be inherited by other items during synthesis, but knowing the system in a lot of detail is only really useful when tackling secret bosses.

You'll slowly notice some items that you'll use a lot more often in either battle or synthesis. You can register these items at some of the shops in game like Marietta's Shop. While money may occasionally be hard to come by in Ayesha, being able to rebuy synthesize items will save a lot of time.

The most important synthesis items are field equipment, and you should try to make them as soon as possible, and remake the best possible version as soon as you can. They will save a lot of time and make you more efficient when travelling and gathering, which makes it very important.

Regardless of what you're doing, do try to stop by Viezerberg when the contest is going on, which is a pretty good way to earn money. The contest results are based on the item you submit and are slightly randomized, so you can save and reload if you get horribly unlucky or if you want to get by on a lower quality item.

Regarding the journal, you will normally have enough Memory Points to record events as they happen, but it might be helpful to look at what you'll get to choose what use them on, especially when you're running low. Some of the abilities are a lot more useful then the small stat boosts.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I picked up a copy of Devil Survivor Overclocked the other day. Just checking to see if there's any additional stuff for the remake I should be aware of. Is Yuzu's path still the shortest to get into NG+? I heard her 8th Day actually makes the route worth playing now.

I don't remember much about it, but you are correct - I actually think her 8th day is the best one, if I remember right.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm not aware of this expansion, do you mean a mod?

CoH 2 is all about the Russians, but as you mention it isn't great.

Whoops yeah I meant a mod, my bad. Its a pretty dang good mod though. Its been at the top of several ModDB lists.

Its called Eastern Front Mod. There's no single player campaign for the russians but they're pretty well designed otherwise, very polished mod.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
KotOR question: Is fully repairing HK 47 really worth dicking around with my repair stat for half the game, or is it just mostly for the sake of min/maxing everyone?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's mostly for enjoying the stories he tells you, because any jedi > non-jedi. Droids have the added disadvantage that Force Heal doesn't work on them.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Mierenneuker posted:

It's mostly for enjoying the stories he tells you, because any jedi > non-jedi. Droids have the added disadvantage that Force Heal doesn't work on them.

I'm gonna use him one way or the other, but are the bonuses worth the extra work?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pneub posted:

I'm gonna use him one way or the other, but are the bonuses worth the extra work?

Not really. He gets some Dex bonuses and really fast regeneration but he's still outclassed by Jedi characters. Again, repairing him is for the story as he's the most interesting character in the game.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Pneub posted:

If you're going to use him no matter what, than presumably you are interested in his dialog.

In which case, yes you want to get your repair skill up.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
So it does change his dialog?

e:Fully repairing him I mean.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 19, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pneub posted:

So it does change his dialog?

e:Fully repairing him I mean.

Each time you repair him he tells you a story and gets a bonus to dex/defense/regeneration. But his story is directly tied to the player character and there's no other way to hear it.

So if you don't want to bother fixing him then you can watch his scenes online.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I just picked up Gothic 3 from a sale on GOG and I noticed there was no page for it. Anything in particular I should know?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Nothing on the wiki about Dragon's Crown I have a feeling this is the kind of game either screw you over with skill points or you get so many you can max everything out anyway.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Nothing on the wiki about Dragon's Crown I have a feeling this is the kind of game either screw you over with skill points or you get so many you can max everything out anyway.

I'll update this post later with more details but save the side quests until you're told you have to destroy runes to reach the ancient dragon. The reason is because you'll have to revisit the dungeons anyway so you can knock out several related quests at once.

Don't worry about skill points. Between the quests and 99 255 level cap you'll be swimming.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 20, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

A few more things to note about Valkryia Chronicles 3 now that I've finished it (thanks Cake Attack):

- You really want one Engineer Elite. They get the ability to play instruments which buff allies. The thing is that the highest level upgrades of these, which are accessible reasonably early, boost two stats that are impossible to boost otherwise: range and shots in a clip. These, in addition to the other stat boosts they grant, make buffed units absurdly deadly. It's around a 35% boost on shots, so shocktroopers get 27 shots, and snipers with the 3-shot rifles get 4. A good strategy is to just have them pop out and buff your deployed guys at the beginning of each mission; they get huge boosts in killing power.

- You can only get one of each ace weapon now. This sucks, because many of them are ridiculous.

- Interception fire hurts. Strong-Willed or Anti-Intercept are really useful potentials, often taking interception fire down to 1 damage thanks to the way it's calculated (they halve attack power rather than damage dealt). A Scout Elite with the Tank Vest (+20 to all defenses) and Anti-Intercept is damned hard to kill a lot of the time. Margit is a Lancer who gets Strong-Willed, making her a very good candidate for taking out tanks by running straight around them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

More Dragon's Crown stuff.

If you don't have access to the internet, try to find some way to update the game. The patches add a ton of actual content and helpful options to the game including the ability to skip the "intro" portions when you start a new character and respec potions.

The first half of the starting campaign is an introduction. The real game begins when you have to find runes to defeat the ancient dragon. This is also when you unlock multiplayer and there's no reason not to play the game with the online options turned on unless you're doing a specific quest.

When you beat the game on normal you get a piece of your character's backstory. You must then beat the game two more times on higher difficulties to truly finish it. There's an additional 9-level dungeon and an Ultimate difficulty with a randomized endgame dungeon so there's a lot of content here but it's gradually unlocked. That's why I say don't stress the side quests. The game can get really repetitive if you try to do everything on one playthrough.

Your class skills are more important than the generic skills with the exception of Deep Pockets and Evasion. Deep Pockets lets you hotkey more stuff and Evasion is required to survive on higher difficulties. The level cap is 255 now so I'm pretty sure you get everything. For melee classes the power smash (circle) ability is your best attack because you're invincible during the attack and it does a poo poo ton of damage.

Evasion is your life blood. When the screen turns into a chaotic mess then mash evade. You're likely to trigger invincibility frames or find yourself in the confusion. This game gets hectic.

Some quests require defeating a number of enemies. Enemies are random but appear in certain frequencies in different levels. If you're looking for loving owlbears then go to Ancient Ruins Path B but run away when the medusa appears.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

al-azad posted:

If you don't have access to the internet,

I hadn't considered this issue before. Should we perhaps make this thread available via fax?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just got Spelunky for the Vita and I still haven't made it past 1.3. First boulder death got a good laugh out of me. Any tips? Is there a good way to regain health? The kisses cost way too much.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I hadn't considered this issue before. Should we perhaps make this thread available via fax?

I know you're joking but a lot of people don't have their consoles connected because they don't have access to broadband internet or they're in the military or have really restrictive connections that block certain downloads or their only option for wireless is their phone or satellite or something. Dragon's Crown is a game that needs to be patched to fully enjoy and it's not like updating your console where you can drop the patch onto a USB device for later.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Renoistic posted:

I just got Spelunky for the Vita and I still haven't made it past 1.3. First boulder death got a good laugh out of me. Any tips? Is there a good way to regain health? The kisses cost way too much.

Some general stuff:

Most normal stages have a damsel hidden somewhere in them - take her to the stage exit and you'll get a free kiss when you leave.

Or, if you find an altar, drop a live damsel on it and you'll be rewarded with a random item. A second damsel will give you the kapala, which allows you to regain health by grabbing the blood droplets that fly out when things die.

In general it's worth at least one bomb or rope to get a crate or damsel.

The idol in the mines usually isn't worth grabbing, as the boulder is just too destructive. Even if it doesn't kill you it'll probably smash something valuable or piss off a shopkeeper.

The Spelunky thread is pretty active (ignore the PC in the title, there are tons of Vita players in there) so you should be able to get more answers there and bulk out your friends list.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

pichupal posted:

You'll slowly notice some items that you'll use a lot more often in either battle or synthesis. You can register these items at some of the shops in game like Marietta's Shop. While money may occasionally be hard to come by in Ayesha, being able to rebuy synthesize items will save a lot of time.

How does registering work, exactly? The game wasn't quite clear on it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

al-azad posted:

I know you're joking

Yeah, and tbh it wasn't even that good a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Lizard Wizard posted:

How does registering work, exactly? The game wasn't quite clear on it.

So taking Marietta's Shop for example, you should be able to register some attack items, like Bombs there.

After synthesizing a Bomb, you can go to the shop to register the item. At that point, they will take that one item from you, but they will then be able to start recreating/duplicating the item whenever the shop restocks, and Marietta will then have five bombs to sell back to you. (I believe it's the 1st, 11th, and the 21st).

Of course, you need to buy the items back from the store, so it's a balance between time saved and money. It becomes very helpful for items that show up a lot in synthesis or hard to find items that you're worried about using up.

So rather then wasting time synthesizing 5 Bombs and wasting all the ingredients, you can try synthesizing one really good bomb, possibly with Price Down traits, and just register and rebuy that from the shop when it restocks. This will also help quite a bit for the requests you get around the towns.

Each of the stores you encounter will be able to register different types of items, with some of them only opening during the bazaar. Marietta will also sell items used in the previous contest (although I don't completely remember all the details on this one).