Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

flatluigi posted:

- Take all the characters through training mode to just get a little bit of a grasp of what they do, what their ultimates are, and what their movement is like.

- The game's built around switching characters frequently; if you/your team is having trouble swap over to a character good at solving the problem for a bit. For example, if you're getting wrecked by Bastions:

- Keep your ears open - enemies have (much) louder footsteps than your own team's + enemy ults have a different voiceclip than friendly ults. There's even a toggle to turn on Dolby Atmos if you have surround sound headphones that's probably a good idea to hit.

Related to this, prepare for every Hanzo, Genji and Widowmaker on your team to be a worthless shitter who justifies their existence by how Play of the Game prioritizes them ulting guys in a hallway. The game is more fun to play with friends, because it reduces the number of assholes who are trying to "carry" as an MLG pro instead of playing as a team.

Also, find a tank and a support you enjoy playing. Because you're not going to see a lot of them in pub games, in my experience, and they're very necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Learn the basic combos for every character, like McCree's flashbang+fan fire and Roadhog's hook+shotgun+melee.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Never be the second sniper on your team unless you are absolutely sure you are a crackshot that will carry your team to victory. And if that happens, don't pick Hanzo. Widowmaker's wallhack ult is just too drat good.

Beyond the general controls you can also set specific controls for every single character. Some of them have unique control options. Mercy can turn her healbeam into a toggle instead of a hold, Soldier: 76 can toggle his teammates' health bars, etc. Have a look at all of them, some of them are really handy.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Mierenneuker posted:

Beyond the general controls you can also set specific controls for every single character. Some of them have unique control options. Mercy can turn her healbeam into a toggle instead of a hold, Soldier: 76 can toggle his teammates' health bars, etc. Have a look at all of them, some of them are really handy.

This bit here is nice since it allows me to change the sensitivity when I'm sniping and it also taught me that Junkrat's tire can climb walls.

If you're playing on a console, Pharah can hover with L2 making things less stupid for your hands.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
The Beforeiplay site just got a shout out on the Retronauts podcast. Bob Mackey writes for SA, so there is some serious synergy at play.

BOB MACKEY! If you're reading this, you are so much more awesome than Jeremy Parish because you are at least as smart at games as he is if not more so and also you aren't kind of a smug douche about it so thank you for your podcast I'll patreon you one of these days thanks.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
BeforeIPlay is the middle ground between GameFAQs and "hearing someone talking about a game in passing" that the world never knew it needed before this thread. Well, or the last thread. How many of them have there been? This one seems eternal enough.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This thread is the equivalent of the pre-internet schoolyard. Everyone has their own tips and tricks. I really like it when other people offer a different perspective on something that isn't necessarily wrong but could be done more efficiently.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

The Beforeiplay site just got a shout out on the Retronauts podcast. Bob Mackey writes for SA, so there is some serious synergy at play.

BOB MACKEY! If you're reading this, you are so much more awesome than Jeremy Parish because you are at least as smart at games as he is if not more so and also you aren't kind of a smug douche about it so thank you for your podcast I'll patreon you one of these days thanks.

They run a Dark Souls/Bloodborne podcast, and those games are impossible without this thread or similar articles.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Count Chocula posted:

They run a Dark Souls/Bloodborne podcast, and those games are impossible without this thread or similar articles.

I disagree, the whole shtick behind Kay Plays (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCu3T-57vLRVEjF8viOEjm9g?playlists) is watching someone figure out Dark Souls completely blind. It takes way more patience than I have, but it's not impossible.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Exploring blind is awesome and the best way to play. Utterly nerfing your guy because you picked the wrong class or spent souls in the wrong place or killed the only merchant in the first half of the game isn't fun though.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

Exploring blind is awesome and the best way to play. Utterly nerfing your guy because you picked the wrong class or spent souls in the wrong place or killed the only merchant in the first half of the game isn't fun though.

It seems ridiculous after you've put some time into any game in the series, but I honest-to-god had a text yesterday from a friend playing DS2 for the first time asking how to level up, and when I told him to talk to the redhaired lady in green, he said "the one I kicked off the cliff?" :allbuttons:

This thread is real good.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Can you tell me which episode it's on, and at what time they talk about it?

Always happy when I realise that people enjoy the wiki, but obviously the content is the milkshake that brings all the people to the yard, and that's down to all of you.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Centipeed posted:

Can you tell me which episode it's on, and at what time they talk about it?

Always happy when I realise that people enjoy the wiki, but obviously the content is the milkshake that brings all the people to the yard, and that's down to all of you.

It was this most recent one about the NES Zelda games. It's towards the end, but I don't know exactly when. They were talking about the misinformation and vague hints in Zelda 2 and they brought up how Beforeiplay helps people enjoy otherwise unenjoyable games by giving spoiler-free guidance that can cut through hours of unintuitive bullshit.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

It was this most recent one about the NES Zelda games. It's towards the end, but I don't know exactly when. They were talking about the misinformation and vague hints in Zelda 2 and they brought up how Beforeiplay helps people enjoy otherwise unenjoyable games by giving spoiler-free guidance that can cut through hours of unintuitive bullshit.

I found it! 1:30:55.

Shame they didn't spend 10 minutes crooning over it, though.

Although the fella's insistence that it's spoiler free makes me feel bad for any tips that have spoilers in them but which aren't covered up.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Centipeed posted:

Although the fella's insistence that it's spoiler free makes me feel bad for any tips that have spoilers in them but which aren't covered up.

If it helps, I haven't personally ran into these. When the wiki first started there was some iffy to terrible tips, but for the most part those are all gone now.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there anything for Dig or Die? I just recently discovered I own it. I'd love to use a 360 controller but I don't think thats possible so anything else.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Centipeed posted:

I found it! 1:30:55.

Shame they didn't spend 10 minutes crooning over it, though.

People's opinion on what constitutes a spoiler is so subjective that it's best not to worry about it. I've been banned from forums for mentioning Smash Bros characters that Nintendo officially announced.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Since Dragon Quest Heroes is this weekend's Steam sale I wanted to add a few things to the wiki

-Don't stress over the monster/ingredient grinding quests! More than one enemy drops a particular item, you get random items from treasure chests, and if you're really in a pinch you can buy them with mini-medals. Often you'll get extermination quests involving rare monsters. Add the quest so kills count as you play but eventually the game will give you an encounter that's favorable to you. E.g. an early quest is to get flintstones from golems, a rare item that drops from a monster that spawns one at a time as a mini-boss. Two or three chapters later you'll be fighting dozens of them.

-If you press guard as an enemy attacks you cancel the animation you're in. The game makes it seem like guarding is its own thing but it's primarily there to get you out of lengthy animations when big monsters attack you.

-If you buy an upgraded ability then you activate it by holding down the button. E.g. casting zapple means you charge zap until zapple appears onscreen.

-Deftness = crit chance and criticals are essential. I focus my points on unlocking all the character specific abilities first. You really don't need to put points into attribute boosters.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

al-azad posted:

Since Dragon Quest Heroes is this weekend's Steam sale I wanted to add a few things to the wiki

The female hero is better than the male hero both in game mechanics and personality.

Some sidequests teach abilities, improve your high tension state, or offer permanent passives, such as increases to your monster medal capacity. The game assumes that you will do these sidequests as soon as they are available to you.

Your equipment bag and ingredients bag each has a capacity limit. There are sidequests to expand the capacity of each. You probably will never hit the the equipment bag limit. You can run out of space in the ingredients bag during the mid-game, even with expansions, if you are an avid collector.

If you aren't using all your characters, and you probably aren't, save money by using a hand-me-down system for your defense orbs. It's harder to do this with weapons, but you can to a limited extent for your two heroes and the third sword user.

When you are in the various free-fighting zones, learn where monster spawn points are and run a pattern of spawning and then clearing. Often times one spawn point is also the spawn point for another area in the zone so you can bounce around two or three areas clearing monster packs over and over. That is much more efficient than running generally around a zone.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I finally got Mass Effect for the PS3. Any tips that aren't in the wiki?

My plan is to just go with it, in my usual "try to play perfectly until things go wrong, then blast your way out or run away" approach, but is there anything that can colossally gently caress up the game and make it impossible?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scientastic posted:

My plan is to just go with it, in my usual "try to play perfectly until things go wrong, then blast your way out or run away" approach, but is there anything that can colossally gently caress up the game and make it impossible?

Talk to your buddies between missions. They'll eventually start giving you sidequests, and completing one of them will make a main-story event late in the game much much easier to do successfully.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

It's in the guide, but the only thing I can think of is:

You get achievements for taking particular teammates with you for the entire game. It works based on the number of sidequests you complete, meaning that you can lock yourself out of getting them if you mess around on the Citadel doing a ton of side quests before getting the teammate you want to use.
There's one teammate who you can't get on the Citadel, so if you want their achievement then you need to rush through the story, then go straight for the world where they talk about an Asari's daughter going missing or something similar, for your first playthrough I wouldn't bother though.
AFAIK it's not possible to get both human teammates' achievements in a single playthrough, so don't try.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Any tips for Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon? I've never played a mystery dungeon game before.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Super Mystery Dungeon is actually an extremely hardcore game. You die and enemies die in just a couple hits. Compare to earlier entries in the series where you would wipe the floor with tons of enemies, but they'd have a hard time wearing you down and you died from attrition, not from attacks that do all your HP in one go.

The first and foremost tip is always keep a good stack of wands (Paralysis, Sleep, and Confuse are the best, Stayaway is good but lower-tier), some Orbs in case things get nasty (or you run into a Monster House--room packed with tons of enemies that are regular strength but ruin your day with their sheer numbers), and don't be afraid to eat your Oran Berries and bring a ton of Tiny/Normal Revive Seeds.

PSMD has pretty short floors, so don't worry too much about filling your inventory with apples and poo poo. Bring the more important stuff made to keep your enemies in check and your party from wiping.

Range skills are king. 2-range is okay. Psybeam is a pretty low-level skill for Fennekins, so if you or your partner is a Fennekin, you'll have a nice sniper in your party. You can't buy TMs for ranged attacks until much later in the game, so be careful... but you can get them just so you know ahead of time, you don't need to build your party around pokemon that inherently learn long-range attacks.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Scientastic posted:

That's not really how Mass Effect plays - it's often more of a standard mid-2000s cover shooter than anything like that. Long corridors filled with cover objects and alerted enemies.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Super Mystery Dungeon is actually an extremely hardcore game. You die and enemies die in just a couple hits. Compare to earlier entries in the series where you would wipe the floor with tons of enemies, but they'd have a hard time wearing you down and you died from attrition, not from attacks that do all your HP in one go.

The first and foremost tip is always keep a good stack of wands (Paralysis, Sleep, and Confuse are the best, Stayaway is good but lower-tier), some Orbs in case things get nasty (or you run into a Monster House--room packed with tons of enemies that are regular strength but ruin your day with their sheer numbers), and don't be afraid to eat your Oran Berries and bring a ton of Tiny/Normal Revive Seeds.

PSMD has pretty short floors, so don't worry too much about filling your inventory with apples and poo poo. Bring the more important stuff made to keep your enemies in check and your party from wiping.

Range skills are king. 2-range is okay. Psybeam is a pretty low-level skill for Fennekins, so if you or your partner is a Fennekin, you'll have a nice sniper in your party. You can't buy TMs for ranged attacks until much later in the game, so be careful... but you can get them just so you know ahead of time, you don't need to build your party around pokemon that inherently learn long-range attacks.

This actually sounds fun to me. Thanks for the tips on what I should carry in or I would have really just relied on moves and healing items or started to packrat everything for no good reason.

I'm already set with Bulbasaur & Tepig as my starters. I can't be screwed completely be choosing wrong starters right?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
As I mentioned, you can eventually just buy TMs for good ranged attacks, but I think Bulbasaur gets Bullet Seed (both long-range and multi-hit, which is the topmost of top-tier skills in PMD games, short of attacks that hit the entire room and boost your stats) so it's not like that'll be much of a problem. You can make pretty much any starter pair work, whether or not you survive dungeons is more down to how careful you are at exploring than team comp.

Later on the game will introduce a mechanic where certain pokemon who join you will be "enthusiastic" to go on an adventure and you get pretty nice bonuses for using them. Sometimes they're completely poo poo-tier like, I dunno, Azurill + Caterpie + Rattata and you'll still be able to clear a run as long as you play smart.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Scientastic posted:

Achievements in Mass Effect 1 have actual, tangible benefits for current and future play throughs. Getting weapon achievements unlock use of that weapon on classes that can't normally get it, getting party member achievements grant skill bonuses, and the most important one is "Rich", which unlocks SPECTRE gear at a vendor. That gear is the best in game, period.

There is a vendor on your ship. He sells armor types based on licenses you buy at other shops. You can control what inventory he has by not buying licenses for certain manufacturers. If you want the "best" armor, buy only Kassa Fabrication's license. Colossus armor both looks awesome and has great stats.

If you REALLY REALLY like the game and want to run through it at least 3 times in NG+, don't put points into the two speech skills. You'll get bonuses to them in story missions, and by the end of your third playthrough, you'll have them both maxed with no investment. Doing this is probably dumb and pointless unless you REALLY like the game.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Kruller posted:

If you REALLY REALLY like the game and want to run through it at least 3 times in NG+, don't put points into the two speech skills. You'll get bonuses to them in story missions, and by the end of your third playthrough, you'll have them both maxed with no investment. Doing this is probably dumb and pointless unless you REALLY like the game.

Just gonna point out that this only applies if you want to run the game with the same class and character.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Scientastic posted:

Don't feel like you have to do all the Citadel side quests right away. They remain until the end of the game and more will pop up after each main story mission. It's easy to spend the first 4 hours of the game wandering around the Citadel but you should leave relatively quickly, do a story mission, come back and do some side missions, do another main story quest, etc.

There is a difficult speech check in Virmire that might be hard for you to beat if you do it out of sequence or fail to complete a side quest for a certain squad member.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Lots of bits have already been covered, but keep in mind there's really no stealth component to the game at all. Just assault and supporting an assault. Tech and Biotic classes tend toward more supportive roles, but anything with a bit of Red can get in the fray. This is definitely the case with Vanguards.

Proactively keep your fave guys upgraded, sell everything else.

It's possible to game the Virmire speech check by skipping recruitment for Garrus, the bird guy, and Liara, the blue lady. Not having them forces Wrex to stick around regardless, but you miss out on Garrus until Mass Effect 2.

Kassa and Arimax are the two licenses you'll absolutely want to have for the armor they eventually stock with your quartermaster. Haden-Kaedar armors are likely the best you'll do until then; all the H-K armors have identical stats across the same level. Those licenses and any Grenade and Medi-Gel Upgrades you find are worth buying. Everything else is just leveled loot.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Don't feel like you have to do all the Citadel side quests right away. They remain until the end of the game and more will pop up after each main story mission. It's easy to spend the first 4 hours of the game wandering around the Citadel but you should leave relatively quickly, do a story mission, come back and do some side missions, do another main story quest, etc.

Gawwwd, I wish I'd known this. I was all jazzed to do some shootin' and lootin' after all the Citadel opened up, but by the time I finished dicking around with all the sidequests I'd lost most of my enthusiasm. Maybe I should pick it back up...

Edit: Oh, hey, maybe I can ask this here since the main thread for it seems to be archived - The Talos Principle. Just picked this up, loving the puzzles, loving the storytelling - but I hear tell there are three endings, and no real way to make a save at a point where it's easy to go back and make different choices? Weirdly, just knowing that has kind of turned me off - how hard is it to see the endings, and/or how likely am I to get locked into one or another by accident?

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 27, 2016

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Ghost of Starman posted:

Gawwwd, I wish I'd known this. I was all jazzed to do some shootin' and lootin' after all the Citadel opened up, but by the time I finished dicking around with all the sidequests I'd lost most of my enthusiasm. Maybe I should pick it back up...

Edit: Oh, hey, maybe I can ask this here since the main thread for it seems to be archived - The Talos Principle. Just picked this up, loving the puzzles, loving the storytelling - but I hear tell there are three endings, and no real way to make a save at a point where it's easy to go back and make different choices? Weirdly, just knowing that has kind of turned me off - how hard is it to see the endings, and/or how likely am I to get locked into one or another by accident?

The game automatically makes autosaves you can go back to after the endings. You can't mess it up.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Kruller posted:

Achievements in Mass Effect 1 have actual, tangible benefits for current and future play throughs. Getting weapon achievements unlock use of that weapon on classes that can't normally get it, getting party member achievements grant skill bonuses, and the most important one is "Rich", which unlocks SPECTRE gear at a vendor. That gear is the best in game, period.

Wish more games did something like this. I never did NG+ in its sequels, but I recall getting some bonus rewards for achievements earned in previous titles, which is also neat. Tales of Xillia 2 is the only other game I ran across that does that, too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mayor McCheese posted:

Wish more games did something like this. I never did NG+ in its sequels, but I recall getting some bonus rewards for achievements earned in previous titles, which is also neat. Tales of Xillia 2 is the only other game I ran across that does that, too.

STALKER: Call of Priapus does it really well in the same vein. Using the drug that lets you survive radioactive blowouts three or so times gives you permanent radiation resistance, I think the same rich achievement, that sort of thing. A lot of them have downsides as well, like the faction-related ones

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Internet Friend posted:

The game automatically makes autosaves you can go back to after the endings. You can't mess it up.

Nice! Thank you for that.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

STALKER: Call of Priapus

:awesome: :crossarms:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghost of Starman posted:

You can't mess up the three endings, but there are a few mutually exclusive achievements/story beats, based on how you interact with the MLA. Outside of following a guide, the only easy way to game those is to save every terminal (and subsequent conversation) for the very end of the game, which would ruin the experience anyway.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anything for the first Etrian Mystery Dungeon and Persona Q?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Since the Metal Gear franchise is on sale on Steam, I thought about picking up Rising Revengeance based on people gushing about it on these forums. However, I have never played a Metal Gear game before and have no idea about the storyline. Will this hamper my enjoyment of the game?

I'm always hearing about all these characters with stupid names will have no idea what the hell is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Not one bit. Revengeance is actually fairly self-contained story-wise, it's an outlier in the MGS franchise in both story and gameplay.