Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Zaodai posted:

Also many of the missions are on the same maps, so you'll start to memorize good routes that take you through a lot of the level quickly where likely hiding places will be.

But definitely bring a friend.

Update: brought a friend, friend got confused, I got annoyed they had to start with a basic gun and no materials, friend wants to go back to Towerfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Any tips for the first Witcher game?

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Count Chocula posted:

Update: brought a friend, friend got confused, I got annoyed they had to start with a basic gun and no materials, friend wants to go back to Towerfall.

If it helps the Karabiner is early, easy to assemble and powerful. It'll even take AP rounds! By the time it begins to stop one or two-shotting everything, the M40 is available. Slap your old Karabiner mag on it to keep the capacity at 5 for all that extra power.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Unless you really, really want to play it, just read a plot synopsis and skip to Witcher 2. Most of the Witcher games are kind of rough, but the first one ESPECIALLY is. Unless there's a remake I'm not aware of.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
There are far clunkier games than the first Witcher in the world that people still play just fine, that's not exactly helpful advice.

But either way, that game has its own page on the wiki and I think it covers most of the important stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The refund time window on Steam is actually two hours, fifty-nine minutes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kanfy posted:

There are far clunkier games than the first Witcher in the world that people still play just fine, that's not exactly helpful advice.

But either way, that game has its own page on the wiki and I think it covers most of the important stuff.

That's grog-wargame logic. "Well it's not LITERALLY a pile of poo poo, so you have no right to talk bad about it". There are far superior games, includind two other Witcher games! that someone could purchase and play. Telling them to skip the lovely one is relevant advice.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaodai posted:

That's grog-wargame logic. "Well it's not LITERALLY a pile of poo poo, so you have no right to talk bad about it". There are far superior games, includind two other Witcher games! that someone could purchase and play. Telling them to skip the lovely one is relevant advice.

It's irrelevant to this thread because they specifically asked. If I told people to skip games I didn't like because there are better ones this thread would be 1,000 pages longer.

Play on hard. You can change the difficulty at any time and you'll probably want to later but hard keeps things interesting in the beginning.

Save your money for books, prioritizing the ones that let you pick herbs. Monster books let you harvest their organs and recipes should be last because you get some of the best ones to start.

No secondary weapon is better than your swords because you can't use witcher style with non-swords.

You don't have to do every side quest. The bounties are rare and interesting enough to be worthwhile for the reward but you'll quickly make the game un-fun if you seek to complete everything. There's enough optional content that triggers as the game is played that you don't need to answer every request for 10 monster dicks.

During the big boss of chapter 1 you have a character who fights alongside you. Don't be an idiot like me and instantly reload every time they die because they stand up and dust themselves off immediately after the fight.

The only mod I would recommend is one that boosts your speed by about 20%. I can't post the link now but it shouldn't be difficult to find. Anything else alters the balance of the game and I can't recommend that for first time.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 25, 2016

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Unless you really, really want to play it, just read a plot synopsis and skip to Witcher 2. Most of the Witcher games are kind of rough, but the first one ESPECIALLY is. Unless there's a remake I'm not aware of.

Yeah I've heard but I'm also one of those weirdos who legitimately cannot enjoy any entry of a series unless I start at the start, no matter how unrelated they are. Feels like I'm beating my head into a wall otherwise.

I'm also one of those weirdos who likes Dragon Age 2, even without the skip combat mod.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah I've heard but I'm also one of those weirdos who legitimately cannot enjoy any entry of a series unless I start at the start, no matter how unrelated they are. Feels like I'm beating my head into a wall otherwise.

I'm also one of those weirdos who likes Dragon Age 2, even without the skip combat mod.

In that case, there's like six books you need to read, as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Honestly, with the whole series in context, I'd tell people to skip Witcher 2 as it feels like a side story unrelated to Geralt's personal journey that is the first and third game. The first game is Geralt getting his memory back, the third game is Geralt pursuing the last connection to his past, but the second game is this weird in-between where they spend the first half retelling the past you already figured out and then the second half is political intrigue with Geralt almost as a passive observer.

But enjoy, it's certainly a unique take on fantasy in video games (that being Eastern European where superstition rules all) and the gameplay is flawed across all three titles but they excel in entertaining characters and scenarios.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Zaodai posted:

Dunno where you're pulling "you have no right to talk bad about it" from, I'm just saying that it's not helpful because usually by the time someone is asking for advice on a game they've already decided to at least give it a shot and after that they can surely figure out by themselves whether they like it or not.

People want to play all kinds of games for all kinds of reasons, and there's absolutely no shortage of reviews and opinions out there on the internet if one wants advice on whether or not to purchase a game in the first place.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Witcher chat got me to look at the page for The Witcher 3, and this tip is in it.

- You craft a potion once, you get a potion item with a certain # of charges (I think the charges are affected by your skills). When you meditate, any potions refill their charges if you have alcohol in your inventory, one per potion that needs to be refilled. You still need ingredients later because most potions have multiple upgrades that require the base potion as an ingredient, but you don't need to hoard flowers obsessively.

This tip is a bit incorrect. You only need 1 alcohol per meditation, period. One alcohol refills ALL of your potions and bombs.

You don't need to hoard flowers, though. It's real hard to not loot every plant you see, but you can force yourself to do it eventually.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kanfy posted:

Dunno where you're pulling "you have no right to talk bad about it" from, I'm just saying that it's not helpful because usually by the time someone is asking for advice on a game they've already decided to at least give it a shot and after that they can surely figure out by themselves whether they like it or not.

People want to play all kinds of games for all kinds of reasons, and there's absolutely no shortage of reviews and opinions out there on the internet if one wants advice on whether or not to purchase a game in the first place.

It was the same advice I gave me friend when he wanted to play Witcher 1, and he ended up thanking me for it. There are a number of people the advice will be useful to, and he may end up appreciating it in retrospect. If you choose to give crack a try, I'll attempt to dissuade you. If you elect to give it a shot anyway, that's your business.

"It's poo poo" is a valid answer to "What should I know before I play this?".

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Count Chocula posted:

This is why I require said friends to play the game alone first so they get the basics out of the door.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Alternatively, just start together. Figuring out mechanics and tricks and sharing that poo poo live with your buddies is great!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm stuck with an iPad for gaming for a bit, and trying to get into Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, which is probably a bad idea given that I don't have a compatible controller.

Anyway, I've done the tutorial quests without problem, but I must have died 15 times in the first "real" one (hunt a velociraptor lookalike). I simply can't deal enough damage. Mostly using sword and shield, I haven't got the timing for slower weapons yet.

I can survive it and it's 2-3 buddies and even connect enough to kill the small ones, and do well enough one versus one, but the boss will just run away into some more backup after I stagger it once or twice. At this point I'll spend another 3-4 minutes dodging 3 overgrown lizards until I can focus again on the boss, just to watch it run away to the previous screen where the enemies have spawn again.

My latest run took 35 minutes, and I went through 4 whetstones (so I'm assuming I'm hitting things often enough), 3 rations and all my healing potions. I have to be doing something wrong. An upgraded weapon I'm missing? Some way to unlock bodyguard cats? This is driving me crazy.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm stuck with an iPad for gaming for a bit, and trying to get into Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, which is probably a bad idea given that I don't have a compatible controller.

Anyway, I've done the tutorial quests without problem, but I must have died 15 times in the first "real" one (hunt a velociraptor lookalike). I simply can't deal enough damage. Mostly using sword and shield, I haven't got the timing for slower weapons yet.

I can survive it and it's 2-3 buddies and even connect enough to kill the small ones, and do well enough one versus one, but the boss will just run away into some more backup after I stagger it once or twice. At this point I'll spend another 3-4 minutes dodging 3 overgrown lizards until I can focus again on the boss, just to watch it run away to the previous screen where the enemies have spawn again.

My latest run took 35 minutes, and I went through 4 whetstones (so I'm assuming I'm hitting things often enough), 3 rations and all my healing potions. I have to be doing something wrong. An upgraded weapon I'm missing? Some way to unlock bodyguard cats? This is driving me crazy.

This sounds a lot like the standard first play of a Monster Hunter game. The comparison I was originally given was "it's like fighting a t-rex with a stick." This is accurate. Some fights can be a test of endurance until you learn how to deal with things the game throws at you. It does make big kills super satisfying though!

It's good to keep your sharpness high, stamina capped and pockets full of healing items along with their component items. Use guides of all kinds. Even look up some tutorial videos on weapons that look fun. Lances have always been solid as long as you can contain the urge to try and run everywhere.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The sword and shield (prior to the latest game) is a slow and steady weapon. You trade damage output for the ability to use items without sheathing. The 'dromes are also annoying and boring monsters to fight and are part of why early game MH is miserable.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I lost my drat mind and bought a Wii U and a ton of games, what can people tell me about Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anything for STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl? I already started the game and I'm at the Garbage (and I, in fact, am Garbage) and have to go to Agropom. I read the wiki but I just want to know what to expect, what kind of strategies to use in firefights, what kind of weapons I should try to use, what quests to focus on and so on.

I have some completed quests that I picked up in the beginning, should I run all the way back just to collect the reward for those, or should I ignore them and keep going?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Fat Samurai posted:

The minor monsters will eventually stop respawning if you keep murdering them. Eventually you'll kinda figure out how they move, and can mostly ignore them. Except bullfangoes, of course, those need to die.

It's been a while since Unite, but I seem to remember Sword & Shield, Bow and Dual Swords just having outright bad damage output early on. Better Longswords and Hammers can be made from just the ores you mine, and are straightforward and quicker to kill. The Bulldrome hammer is the king of low rank, but you'll need to grind for a Bulldrome head which has a pretty low drop chance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

al-azad posted:

No secondary weapon is better than your swords because you can't use witcher style with swords.

You can only use Witcher style with swords?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

You can only use Witcher style with swords?

Specifically steel and silver swords, yes. The other weapons have special properties like stun or knockdown but your signs, bombs, and potions do these more efficiently in conjunction with the swords. The torch is nice in chapter 2 against difficult plant enemies but think of your secondary weapon slot as an item to sell.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

al-azad posted:

Specifically steel and silver swords, yes. The other weapons have special properties like stun or knockdown but your signs, bombs, and potions do these more efficiently in conjunction with the swords. The torch is nice in chapter 2 against difficult plant enemies but think of your secondary weapon slot as an item to sell.

Sorry, I was correcting your typo/whatever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh whoops, yes you can only use Witcher style with swords.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Bastard Bonds?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Shibawanko posted:

Anything for STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl? I already started the game and I'm at the Garbage (and I, in fact, am Garbage) and have to go to Agropom. I read the wiki but I just want to know what to expect, what kind of strategies to use in firefights, what kind of weapons I should try to use, what quests to focus on and so on.

I have some completed quests that I picked up in the beginning, should I run all the way back just to collect the reward for those, or should I ignore them and keep going?
You'll have a decent reason to run back to the starting location after a while, so if you don't feel like trekking back and forth, it can wait.

For a fairly long while, the AK / Abakan are going to be your most reliable guns (at least until the Army Warehouses). On the other hand, you'll probably find an early IL-86 - toss it, it breaks so quickly the rest of its stats don't matter.

Like the wiki says - don't worry too much about random quests, but follow up on anything that has to do with Strelok.

Last but not least - once you complete Red Forest, spend all your money on medkits, ammo, and a spare suit of armor. You're going to need all of these for the endgame.

Oh yeah, when you enter the Wild Territory, you'll have to help a scientist. When you talk to him, go into the "trading" menu and leave the dialog through it. That's the only way you'll have a chance to clear out the newly spawned threats before he runs face-first into them.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 25, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

The plot is confusing on purpose, don't be discouraged when seemingly plot-critical things happen without warning and context. You have amnesia after all. In-game books and your journal help a lot. It gets better towards the end.

Your choices and also non-choices may matter. You may want to keep multiple saves in case you accidentally trigger something you don't want to ("I thought this dialogue option would mean I interrogate BaddieMcBaddie but instead Geralt challenged him to combat!") but in general screwing up only makes the game more immersive.

Voice acting is a lot better when you don't look at the expressionless faces and stupid idle animations. I ended up staring at the side of the screen every time there was dialogue going on. It was hard to adjust to Witcher 2, where they animated the actual conversation that's going on and looking at the screen was again enjoyable.

You can't be 100% completionist.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Xander77 posted:

STALKER Stuff

In this vein, I'm playing the complete mod, but what faction is best/most interesting to go with? I hit that first big settlement and was kinda overwhelmed by the desire just to steal everything from everyone.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ryoshi posted:

I lost my drat mind and bought a Wii U and a ton of games, what can people tell me about Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Beyond what is in the wiki page, some additional hints and some corrections:

-Doubling down on the wiki suggestion to read the manual, it's quite comprehensive and XCX is a pretty dense game all things considered.

-While you should generally only take gathering quests if you have the requirements, some specific gathering quests have the item only spawn once the quest is taken. If you see a quest that has you pick up a unique-sounding object like a locket or a data drive, grab those as well.

-While some builds are more popular than others by an extreme margin, there are a lot of potential gimmicks to be found, so don't be afraid to experiment.

-Same goes for Skells, while most people recommend the Amdusias as a starting frame, all of the Skells have their own unique niche they can perform admirably at. If you're particularly rich, however, buying the Amdusias alongside whatever you plan on piloting is a decent option so you can strip it of its beam scythe.

-When placing your booster and duplicator probes, prioritize improving your storage capacity. A certain late-game craftable requires 100k Miranium, to be paid all at once, so that's a good number to aim for.

-Speaking of Storage Capacity, storage probes are quite rare, with you getting nearly all of them through either story progression or the Kirsty questline, making the latter pretty much mandatory.

-But don't be afraid to mess around with your probes! You can never run out of them, whenever you replace one the old unit gets placed back into your inventory. Optimizing your probes every now and then is a sure fire way to get loads of Miranium and Money.

-Unlike the original Xenoblade Chronicles, to view a Heart-to-Heart conversation you must have the character OUT of your party. Each character has a Heart-to-Heart for each affection level gained.

-Annoyingly, there is no way to put party members in your reserve or a quick way to add them up. It's recommended that you try and remember where each character hangs out.

-If a character is not at their usual hangout spot, that means they currently have a Heart-to-Heart active. Either look through the city to find yellow information boxes that detail where each character may or may not be... Or just look it up online, which is far easier. Here's a GameFAQs guide to them. Warning, minor spoilers for joinable characters.

-Don't bother trying to get all 99 before chapter 12 at the earliest. You'll know what I'm talking about once you get to it.

-Try to always play online so you get Request Tickets. You get them by being present as Squad Tasks are completed (the little icons that occasionally pop up on the bottom right), with a bonus for helping to accomplish them and another for doing the Squad Missions which unlock as tasks are completed. You access Squad Missions through the console at the back of the Barracks. You can spend Request Tickets at the same console, on any part dropped by a monster. This is your shortcut to end-game crafting as well as easily completing basic quests that require monster drops.

-When you select your squad at game start, you may notice a counter on the right side labeled Conquest Progress. Once that fills up (by the entire online community accomplishing a certain amount of progress) a World Tyrant will spawn, accessed from the same console mentioned above. You need a BLADE Medal to attempt the fight, those being gained either rarely through Squad Missions or by Scouting friendly players out in the world and getting them to maximum affinity. At the very least having a level 30 skell is recommended for Telethia, with a tuned up 50 being the minimum recommended for Yggdrasil. When fighting world bosses, try to break as many parts as possible before the timer runs out. Then, sell those off for very large amounts of Request Tickets at the console. Do so before the World Tyrant leaves or is defeated, otherwise your parts will automatically be converted to a single request ticket each.

There's more (a lot more, XCX is seriously dense) but this is what I could think of, off the top of my head.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Zushio posted:

In this vein, I'm playing the complete mod, but what faction is best/most interesting to go with? I hit that first big settlement and was kinda overwhelmed by the desire just to steal everything from everyone.

I don't think it makes sense for a first time player to join either Duty or Freedom because then you have an enemy faction in an area you have to go through a bunch. If you join the Yantar scientists, you can buy some really cheap and good suits from them. But the faction system is a little half baked in SOC even when modded. If you like the idea of Stalker with factions, mod the hell out of Clear Sky and play that.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Finally getting around to Pillars of Eternity now that's it's reasonably complete. I have both parts of the expansion. I also have a lot of experience with IE games but never really went for playing them above normal difficulties.

Besides the wiki page, anything I should know?

Primarily, I remember that it used to be said to make "your" character a rogue, barbarian or monk, as those classes cannot be found in the fleshed-out NPCs. Is that still the case? Any simple "fun/effective" build advice for one/all of those classes? I figure I'm going to be restarting after the first hour a couple of times as I learn the stats/system anyway.

e: took a peek at the OP in the game's thread. Looks like there's now fleshed-out rogue/barbarian/monk NPCs so no gaps left to fill. Any particularly annoying fleshed-out NPCs that are smart to replace with my PC? Is Cipher still a fun/strong/interesting class to play? Any notable post-expansion balancing changes to take note of?

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 25, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Crusader Kings 2 if I never played a Paradox game? The wiki entry is pretty sparse.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Crusader Kings 2 if I never played a Paradox game? The wiki entry is pretty sparse.

(Disclaimer: I haven't played the new DLC that just came out)

Ireland is an okay start for learning, at least in 1066. You are independent and don't have any too powerful neighbours immediately.

Read tooltips, they're pretty good.

You have major alerts shown in the top of the screen pretty prominently. Do sweat about those but you will basically never clear them all off nor do you need to. If you lack a heir or become landless, it's a game over so those do need taking care of.

I think the Beginner's Guide of the wiki is quite okay in describing what some symbols and basic things are but the advice it gives seems to be a mixed back of basics and advanced (optional even) things. I'd read tooltips.

A badly outdated but still a good LP for explaining the UI: http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 25, 2016

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

Finally getting around to Pillars of Eternity now that's it's reasonably complete. I have both parts of the expansion. I also have a lot of experience with IE games but never really went for playing them above normal difficulties.

Besides the wiki page, anything I should know?

Primarily, I remember that it used to be said to make "your" character a rogue, barbarian or monk, as those classes cannot be found in the fleshed-out NPCs. Is that still the case? Any simple "fun/effective" build advice for one/all of those classes? I figure I'm going to be restarting after the first hour a couple of times as I learn the stats/system anyway.

e: took a peek at the OP in the game's thread. Looks like there's now fleshed-out rogue/barbarian/monk NPCs so no gaps left to fill. Any particularly annoying fleshed-out NPCs that are smart to replace with my PC? Is Cipher still a fun/strong/interesting class to play? Any notable post-expansion balancing changes to take note of?

The NPC Cipher is widely considered the worst built one from a mechanics standpoint. There's also the fact that she doesn't interact with anyone in the party besides you.

The Ranger and Druid companions both have a particular choice set in stone that may affect their playstyle, their pet and spiritshift form respectively. The Ranger's pet is identical mechanically to the Wolf pet option for PC rangers, while the druid's spiritshift is identical to the PC Druid's Cat option.

PC Paladins, and to a lesser extent, PC Priests, can get additional benefits from disposition that their NPC and hired counterparts can't. These differences are marginal, but some players legitimately will not take a Paladin unless it's their PC because that 2 deflection or whatever.

Also the NPC Paladin is like, super special snowflake. She has access to talents that no other Paladin can have due to her unique order.

The NPC Rogue has a special armor that can't be removed. It's fairly heavy armor too.

The NPC Fighter and the NPC Druid are the best companions. The Druid moreso IMO.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

anilEhilated posted:

I think the most important thing for a beginner to realize is that you really don't have to conquer the world, you just have to keep your dynasty alive and enjoy the events.

Don't be afraid to speed up your game, especially early on.

Invite people to your court. Especially quick strong attractive geniuses with claims to land. The Find people thing at the bottom right is very useful.

Give your family members land - but force them to marry suitably first. They will make terrible decisions once they escape from your court.

The downside of CK2's long development is that all the tutorials are out of date. They can give you good ideas, but be aware that some things may not work any more.The upside is that the game is incredibly rich and there are masses of things you can do. Try everything, and don't forget to plot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One more problem I have with it - is there any way to make the font bigger? I've tried three mods so far and none of them did a thing, the game makes my eyes bleed.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The NPC Cipher is widely considered the worst built one from a mechanics standpoint. There's also the fact that she doesn't interact with anyone in the party besides you.

The Ranger and Druid companions both have a particular choice set in stone that may affect their playstyle, their pet and spiritshift form respectively. The Ranger's pet is identical mechanically to the Wolf pet option for PC rangers, while the druid's spiritshift is identical to the PC Druid's Cat option.

PC Paladins, and to a lesser extent, PC Priests, can get additional benefits from disposition that their NPC and hired counterparts can't. These differences are marginal, but some players legitimately will not take a Paladin unless it's their PC because that 2 deflection or whatever.

Also the NPC Paladin is like, super special snowflake. She has access to talents that no other Paladin can have due to her unique order.

The NPC Rogue has a special armor that can't be removed. It's fairly heavy armor too.

The NPC Fighter and the NPC Druid are the best companions. The Druid moreso IMO.
Thanks for the advice, better than what I asked for. I hadn't thought of the possibility of any BG2 Edwin type NPCs who can just better than any PC at a certain class for, well, reasons.

The more I learn about the game the more I enjoy it. It's really fun to figure out a new system that actually has some thought put into it and actively avoids trap builds/scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kenny Logins posted:

Thanks for the advice, better than what I asked for. I hadn't thought of the possibility of any BG2 Edwin type NPCs who can just better than any PC at a certain class for, well, reasons.
I'm not sure that's the case - the expansions might have rebalanced her, but in vanilla PoE the NPC Paladin is one of the worst party members, extra abilities or not.