Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm finally going to jump into Path of Exile. I have little experience with games like this, aside from playing through Diablo 3 once (post item store being shut down). Also, I'm most likely going to be playing it single player.
Definitely post in the thread and get invited to the goon guild - even playing by yourself, you can grab useful things from the stash and ask people for help. We tend to be pretty cool, overall.

It's a good idea for your first character to go over to the official forums and pick up a guide that says beginner or new league friendly. These builds tend to be cheap, effective starter builds that let you experience the game without horribly crippling yourself - PoE really incentivizes planning your build ahead of time. There's a ton of insane interactions that work in ridiculous ways and it can be a bit daunting, but these builds are usually things like "hit things hard" or "throw lightning bolts".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

tensai posted:

FFXV, I'm overleveled for some of these hunts and still getting my poo poo pushed in. I just don't think I understand combat very well. Can someone make a "how to play like a 5 year old" explanation of the combat?

Also, I'm like level 22 with all characters, but have only changed weapons once. I feel like I'm missing something there too.

Turn on wait mode in the options. When you say "You've only changed weapons once," do you mean that you're only using the short sword with Noctis, or that you haven't bought a lot of new equipment? You can find some big swords for Gladio and Machinery for Prompto on the floor around the world, but otherwise check with the weapon seller in Lastellum (sp?) when you get there and see if he has better stuff. He gives quests that reduce the costs of his goods too. I'd recommend moving forward with the story some if you're having problems with the hunts, but here's some combat tips. (controls are based on the PS4 version)

Turn wait mode on. This will kick on whenever you aren't pressing a face button or the left analogue stick and will freeze time so you can pick targets. You can also scan enemies in Wait Mode by holding R1 to lock onto them until the meter fills. Take advantage of Noct's four equipment slots and have at least three different types of weapons so you can easily exploit weaknesses. Holding R1 to lock onto an enemy and pressing triangle will perform a warp strike and you should use this liberally. It takes a little MP but if an enemy isn't within striking distance, warp to them. Also keep an eye out for blue circles around the environment during combat, as those are warp points that you can zip to by holding triangle without R1. Ones that are on a wall or result in Noct hanging from his weapon will speed up his HP and MP recovery.

Okay, combat for real. Holding circle will start a string of auto attacks, and you can modify this string by moving the left analogue stick forward, to the side, or backwards. You can also release circle for a short moment and press it again for another attack. There are videos showing every weapon's move set but you can also experiment as you play. Note that not all moves are attacks: Holding left or right while attacking with the daggers will perform a side step, and holding back with the spear will have Noct move backwards before charging for a thrust. Try attacking enemies from the back for a Blindside bonus, and attacking enemies while standing near a team mate will give you the change of doing a link strike. Link Blindsides are very damaging, so really try to maneuver yourself to the opponents rear when fighting something big.

Defense is arguably more important that offense, because it opens up punishing counters and keeps you from eating your teeth. Holding square will put Noct into a defense stance where he'll automatically phase through most enemy attacks. If people are shooting at you, holding square will let you avoid taking damage for a small but steady MP cost. Tapping square and a direction will have Noct dive, which is a great way to position yourself. Sometimes a square in a shield will appear in the middle of the screen, indicating that Noctis is about to be hit with a big attack. This is your queue to hold square. Sometimes the shield will come up a second or two before the attack, but keep the defense up. The attack will be parried and you'll get the chance to press circle for a powerful counter attack. For big bosses, you might have to press circle a second time. A counter can do more damage than several attacks, so really try and get this down.

You can and should craft magic. The elements are common and there are many ways to modify the spell to make it cast itself more often or add a status effect. You won't use them for every battle, but if you are having trouble with hunts use the wait mode to see if the target is weak to an element, make a spell of that element, then cast it at the beginning to soften them up. Cast it again once it recharges if you're having trouble. Use R2 and give out potions to anyone who even looks like they need it, and get used to opening the tactical menu (R2) when someone is in a Danger status (0 HP) instead of running to them and pressing square. Giving out potions will keep everyone's max HP up, and at 50g a potion is an easier pill to swallow than an elixer (400g, restores max HP).

That might be a bunch of word salad, but my battles start with a warp strike, followed by a rhythm of holding circle to attack and pressing or holding square to avoid damage and reposition myself. Once an enemy is dead, I warp strike to the next and continue. As you progress in the story you'll unlock summons and a limit-break type move called the Armiger, so if you haven't gotten them I would recommend pushing forward in the story. Once you do, use Armiger and the Armiger Strike whenever you can. I always keep a spell in my down equipment slot for toughies, and Wait Mode is really a life saver.

Finally, if you're still having problems, try and get Ignis' Regoup ability. It'll heal everyone to their max HP and on critical will give some buffs, and it only costs two tech bars.

e: poo poo, forgot some basic things. Not all enemy attacks will be telegraphed with the shield on the screen. Keep an eye on them and if they rear back or otherwise look like they're about to attack, guard or dive out of the way. Food can double your stats so make sure you've eaten something before you take on a hunt. Give yourself some space and let your team fight while you line up an attack on someone's butt. Take advantage of Noctis' ability to switch weapons on the fly by chaining quick dagger strikes into a heavy greatsword swing, or a similar combo. You can change equipment at any time, so if you're getting hit with a status effect you can protect against, just go into the menu and fix that.

One last note: Adding a Golden Needle to a spell will give it the death effect. At ten needles the death effect reaches maximum potential. Golden Needles are pretty cheap and can be bought from the Regalia. If you so desire, make some death bombs and see if you can't take out some targets before the fight even begins. Be careful though, I don't know if it'll kill your dudes if they get caught in the blast.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 7, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

LawfulWaffle posted:

One last note: Adding a Golden Needle to a spell will give it the death effect. At ten needles the death effect reaches maximum potential. Golden Needles are pretty cheap and can be bought from the Regalia. If you so desire, make some death bombs and see if you can't take out some targets before the fight even begins. Be careful though, I don't know if it'll kill your dudes if they get caught in the blast.

I really wish Noctis had the foresight/empathy to tell his mates to get the gently caress out of the way when he casts a spell. Of course, Ignis does the same to me, so I guess it evens out.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I really wish Noctis had the foresight/empathy to tell his mates to get the gently caress out of the way when he casts a spell. Of course, Ignis does the same to me, so I guess it evens out.

Yeah it's pretty dumb. Kinda wish they'd make the spells less damaging but not damage your own party.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Renoistic posted:

Yeah, but I also think that adding more commands for your team would bog things down. There are ways to group enemies and allies through techs (Ignis' Regroup, as mentioned. Prompto has a tech and a side arm that create gravity wells to lump enemies together. Gladio just loving tanks it man, he's in it TO WIN IT!) and it's a little inelegant, but I think it works. And there's also something a little dark about Prince Noctis watching his friends fight a group on monsters before coldly tossing in a death bomb, knowing that once all the enemies are dead the allies will spring back up. I've never done significant damage to my team with regular magic, not even Quintcasting 3rd tier spells with 300+ potency. I found an item recently for Gladio that increases the party's HP regen rate, and that helps with scratch damage from stuff like that. It is annoying when they get stunned and can't attack for a little bit, but I don't think that stops techs and can (probably?) be broken by starting an Armiger chain, since it warps everyone to you and sends them attacking.

If you're playing FFXV and you stuck with Ingis' Regroup since you got it, you're missing out on Overwhelm. The whole party attacks one enemy a dozen times, making it like a Knights of the Round for 2 tech bars. When the tech crits, every hit in the move crits too. You know your tech rolled a critical when the bar at the top of the screen with the ability name is yellow instead of green. It changes the animation and voiced line, and does extra damage. My favorite so far is Gladio's Cyclone, when he slams his shield down then raises his sword for Noct to warp to. If you connect the warp on a crit, Noctis grabs the sword and Gladiolus swings them both around in a whirlwind before letting go and letting Noct spin through the air with his giant sword. It's super loving cool and will bring the hurt to a group of enemies, but it took me a while to realize the warp point aspect so I thought it was just a lackluster shield attack. Not so.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I recently picked up Titan Quest Anniversay Edition after being told about it. I've played TQ before, but it was years ago (before the expansion pack, IIRC). I'm an old hand at ARPGs, but any TQ-specific tips about stat point allocation or masteries that do/don't mesh well (or work in general) would be great.

The only character I've made so far is a pet-based Nature one; I haven't chosen a second mastery yet but I am considering Storm (for the wisp pet, lightning aura, and general thematic matching) but I'm already running into problems equipping the gear that's dropping - I've been sitting on my stat points (since there doesn't seem to be a way to respec them, and since health doesn't grow with levels but instead stat points spent on it, I'd prefer to 'waste' as little of them on Str/Dex/Int as possible) and virtually everything needs more stats than I'm getting just from my mastery...

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

LawfulWaffle posted:

If you're playing FFXV and you stuck with Ingis' Regroup since you got it, you're missing out on Overwhelm.

I had to toss Regroup out since I was using it nearly every fight and that's just no fun when there's so many techs to play with.

I gave Ignis Regenerate but I don't think I've ever seen him use it. Are the First Aid skills worth the investment? I keep eyeing them for Prompto.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

It's a cheap investment, and it's nice that they can keep themselves from going into danger once per fight. People will still need manual healing and for longer fights it's less useful. I'm running out of cheap nodes and I'm working on the last techs for everyone, but I think the later first aid abilities give buffs and a full heal which sounds pretty good while also costing a ton of AP. I'm interested in getting the nodes that let techniques break the damage cap, mainly for Gladio because I've already seen him hit 9999 with Downhammer but it would also be cool if Prompto could get enough attack to turn his Trigger Happy into a meat grinder. It hits like 20 times, but only for a few hundred a pop at this point. Same with Overwhelm. The multi-hit techs are very much like FFVII's limit breaks.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

WarLocke posted:

I recently picked up Titan Quest Anniversay Edition after being told about it. I've played TQ before, but it was years ago (before the expansion pack, IIRC). I'm an old hand at ARPGs, but any TQ-specific tips about stat point allocation or masteries that do/don't mesh well (or work in general) would be great.

The only character I've made so far is a pet-based Nature one; I haven't chosen a second mastery yet but I am considering Storm (for the wisp pet, lightning aura, and general thematic matching) but I'm already running into problems equipping the gear that's dropping - I've been sitting on my stat points (since there doesn't seem to be a way to respec them, and since health doesn't grow with levels but instead stat points spent on it, I'd prefer to 'waste' as little of them on Str/Dex/Int as possible) and virtually everything needs more stats than I'm getting just from my mastery...
I'm bad at ARPGs even after all this time. Maybe I just plain don't get it. But the first and biggest thing I have both learned and heard is to spend all your skill points on mastery until it's maxed. You'll have more stats and health than you'll need for a long, long time. Maybe sneak a single point into a key skill or two, but crank up both masteries as quickly as you can.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

WarLocke posted:

and since health doesn't grow with levels but instead stat points spent on it, I'd prefer to 'waste' as little of them on Str/Dex/Int as possible
I find running a regeneration-based build fun (mostly by stacking disgusting amounts of +HPRegen and +HPregen%, by items and item-enhancers). I don't find HP that important when I can go grab a sandwich and leave with a horde of monsters beating on me and me healing it faster than they damage. Well, unless a boss rolls around.

As for respec, later on you'll find Mystics (blue sphere symbol) which will allow you to unallocate skill points for cash.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Things you should know before playing FF15:
Menu -> Map -> Return to Dungeon Entrance.

It wouldn't work while I was in combat mode. :shrug:

And yeah, I see now that the quest in my menu is level 50, but I was just wandering around and didn't dig into the menu as soon as I got the pop up. If the first goblin I ran into was level 50, then I would have cut and run immediately.

I did end up going back and venturing to the bottom to get the Ruby and Emerald Bracelets (+50 and +60 Strength, repetitively), and was able to get out without triggering the boss. I highly recommend doing that if you're first starting out in FFXV.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The Talos Principle mostly speaks for itself but here's a handful of things.

* Thorough exploration can be rewarding as there are numerous hidden things in the game in the form of dozens of minor (and some major) easter eggs and hidden stars required to access bonus areas.

* It's important to experiment with puzzle objects to see how they function and interact with each other as some tougher puzzles require using them in ways that aren't immediately obvious or even seem counterproductive at first glance.

* Many stars require thinking outside the box in order to reach them, keep an eye out for possible paths and consider what tools you might need and where to get them.

* You can adjust your character's movement speed from the game settings if it feels too slow. There's also a bindable fast forward button in the keybind setting, at least in the PC version.

* The answers you pick when interacting with various terminals can potentially have plot consequences, but they will not lock you out of any endings.

* The color of each sigil (tetromino) indicates what it unlocks once a full set is completed: Green sigils unlock progress and new puzzle hubs, yellow sigils unlock new puzzle tools, red sigils unlock new floors in the forbidden tower and gray sigils which are found exclusively in star bonus areas eventually unlock an extra ending.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 27, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Kanfy posted:

The Talos Principle mostly speaks for itself but here's a handful of things.

:words:
This is mostly good but I'd actually remove the third one, since the "aha" moment from figuring out that you can and need to do that is probably one of the highlights of the game.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 8, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just two things for The Last Guardian that aren't immediately made apparent;

When you're reloading and you see a black screen with floating symbols with nothing happening, or the statues have grabbed you, mash the poo poo out of the face buttons to clear them.

Also for the first time you see it, that weird stone door with the blue outline is what the statues are carrying you towards. They're like the portals in Ico - once you're through, you're done.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Does the easy mode for Ultima Underworld affect anything other than the enemy damage? Am I a big baby for wanting to play through it on easy mode?

If anyone has general tips that are not on the wiki I would really appreciate them too. I'm a huge fan of UU inspired rpgs (like the first Deus Ex) but I've never played a first person rpg from that era.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

superstepa posted:

Am I a big baby for wanting to play through it on easy mode?
Yes. :colbert:

Other tips:
shift+J for standing long jump, 1-3 for looking up/down.
You can use grid-based movement by holding shift while moving, it's kinda cheaty because it trivializes swimming.
You can bash most doors, if you do that do it with your fists to avoid weapon damage (you won't be harmed). That said, most doors have keys if you look around.
Pay attention to the gargoyle, its eyes are an enemy HP indicator.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

superstepa posted:

Does the easy mode for Ultima Underworld affect anything other than the enemy damage? Am I a big baby for wanting to play through it on easy mode?

Seriously, don't hesitate to play it with a strategy guide open. It was a great game for it's time and still worthwhile today, but holy gently caress is it unforgiving.

If you like it, definitely play Underworld 2 afterwards, it's even better... but at least as hard, if not more.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I regret losing my momentum through UU. I have a legal pad with detailed notes but I stopped playing and I know I'd be completely lost if I picked up my save.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This is mostly good but I'd actually remove the third one, since the "aha" moment from figuring out that you can and need to do that is probably one of the highlights of the game.

Well that or the person just gets frustrated at something seemingly impossible and looks it up online.

But I can make it less explicit, sure.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kanfy posted:

Well that or the person just gets frustrated at something seemingly impossible and looks it up online.
I'd honestly add that as a tip because some of those hiding places are utterly insane.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

superstepa posted:

If anyone has general tips that are not on the wiki I would really appreciate them too. I'm a huge fan of UU inspired rpgs (like the first Deus Ex) but I've never played a first person rpg from that era.

Just combat difficulty.

I'd recommend playing as a paladin for your first time through. Combat is the easier path to take with your character but being able to cast a basic heal spell or magic arrow is always useful. Magic can be a bit frustrating to use as mana regen is so slow and a later section of the game has an effect on magic use.

If you focus your early skill points on attack, defence, acrobat and your primary weapon skill you should become all powerful in no time. Google the mantras for each skill. Explore the maps completely before descending levels. If you run into enemies you can't kill at your current level just take note of them and come back in a level or two. Being able to kill these creatures is a good way to gauge your general character skill progress.

Keep an eye out for magic rings, especially the levitation ring. Finding them will make the late game (Level 7 onwards) a lot easier

Experiment. Try objects on other objects. Examine walls and objects. Drink potions and read scrolls to see what happens.

If you want to go the magic route here are a few tips from some recent play
•Use dosbox's key mapper to map a convenient key for spell casting.
•You can only cast spells of your current level divided by two.
•Due to engine limitations you can only cast projectile spells when there is a gap between you and your target.
•Pump your skill points into mana and casting. Casting should be the focus here as mana regen can be overcome by sleeping but the ability to reliably cast the spells is more valuable. A magic ring will help with mana. Don't neglect attack and defence as you will occasionally need to be able to fight.
•The level 2 spell rune of warding is fairly over powered. The manual says it just informs you of enemies that walk over it but in actuality it's an easily spammed invisible landmine.
•If you can isolate an enemy and attack them with a rapid stream of magic missiles before they can close the distance on you can give you an edge in combat.
•At higher levels spells like flame wind and sheet lighting are fairly murderous but expensive to cast. Just watch out for splash-back on yourself.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 10, 2016

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Pierzak posted:

Yes. :colbert:

Other tips:
shift+J for standing long jump, 1-3 for looking up/down.
You can use grid-based movement by holding shift while moving, it's kinda cheaty because it trivializes swimming.
You can bash most doors, if you do that do it with your fists to avoid weapon damage (you won't be harmed). That said, most doors have keys if you look around.
Pay attention to the gargoyle, its eyes are an enemy HP indicator.

If a door says it is massive then it cannot be bashed down. All other door types can be bashed in.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

anilEhilated posted:

I'd honestly add that as a tip because some of those hiding places are utterly insane.

Better hope you know how to translate hex and also which of the dozens of hex codes actually lead to secrets. Last time I checked, there's maybe two in several dozen hex strings that have any meaning in terms of getting stars.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

Better hope you know how to translate hex and also which of the dozens of hex codes actually lead to secrets. Last time I checked, there's maybe two in several dozen hex strings that have any meaning in terms of getting stars.

None of that is necessary to find any stars though? There's one that requires scanning an IR code to get the answer but that's the only one I recall where you need external help like that.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Kanfy posted:

None of that is necessary to find any stars though? There's one that requires scanning an IR code to get the answer but that's the only one I recall where you need external help like that.

I distinctly recall one where you've got to find some info about an Apollo mission or something like that from a hex code...

Found it. There's one where there is a QR code, which one much scan outside of the game, that says: "THE EAGLE HAS LANDED 31 39 36 39 2f 30 37 2f 32 30 20 32 30 3a 31 38 Now is the time of tranquillity, and I shall rest and observe the Earth.
-- Uriel4" That hex string is 1969/07/20 20:18 in ASCII, and is the date and time of the moon landing. The code you put into the nearby pillar puzzle is the date, 7 and 20.

So yes, it's true that you can reasonably solve it from just the non-hex part, but that translated hex string gives you a more concrete set of numbers to work with. That puzzle still has far more layers than most of the others.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

I distinctly recall one where you've got to find some info about an Apollo mission or something like that from a hex code...

Found it. There's one where there is a QR code, which one much scan outside of the game, that says: "THE EAGLE HAS LANDED 31 39 36 39 2f 30 37 2f 32 30 20 32 30 3a 31 38 Now is the time of tranquillity, and I shall rest and observe the Earth.
-- Uriel4" That hex string is 1969/07/20 20:18 in ASCII, and is the date and time of the moon landing. The code you put into the nearby pillar puzzle is the date, 7 and 20.

So yes, it's true that you can reasonably solve it from just the non-hex part, but that translated hex string gives you a more concrete set of numbers to work with. That puzzle still has far more layers than most of the others.

That's the same one I was thinking of, I didn't remember the hex part. But yeah, there's nothing like that anywhere else in the game (fortunately) so it's a real strange one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's still a lot of wandering through vast empty spaces in hopes you run into an usable item or a star, though.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Anything for Deus Ex 1 that's not on the wiki? (especially regarding fan mods and difficulty settings)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Pizdec posted:

Anything for Deus Ex 1 that's not on the wiki? (especially regarding fan mods and difficulty settings)
Medium is fine for a first playthrough, but Realistic is interesting and kind of its own thing. It's not necessarily harder than Hard because it applies to the enemies as well as you. It makes you fragile as hell though, so it's better for when you know what you're doing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Medium is fine for a first playthrough, but Realistic is interesting and kind of its own thing. It's not necessarily harder than Hard because it applies to the enemies as well as you. It makes you fragile as hell though, so it's better for when you know what you're doing.
It starts off much harder but gets much easier quickly: Without augs running, a pistol shot to the chest will kill you, but an assault rifle won't. As enemies upgrade to rifles instead of pistols, their overall damage per second might go up, but their chance of instantly ending or crippling you goes down substantially. Then as you get augs on top of that, you can defend yourself much better, and the difficulty falls off dramatically.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anything for Dishonored 2? Especially as it pertains to bonecharms, powers, and Emily's gameplay?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pizdec posted:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Go realistic, in my opinion. It's really a ton more fun, and it becomes a lot more about using your augs and mods well (whereas in Normal or whatever I'd usually end up forgetting about half the augs I had installed). The first level will kill you, probably several times. The first level kills everyone several times, and the difficulty level honestly isn't going to change that much - it's a huge huge huge area crawling with guards and bots and friendlies, and it takes a while to navigate effectively. Learn to use the quicksave buttons.

Also, if you see a grenade strapped to a wall, you can generally walk up to it and grab it before it goes off - generally.

I have never installed any mods but I play through on Realistic once every few years, it's a great game all around.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Pizdec posted:

Deus Ex 1

Read everything, talk to everyone.... and remember that the game came out before 9/11.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

food court bailiff posted:

Go realistic, in my opinion. It's really a ton more fun, and it becomes a lot more about using your augs and mods well (whereas in Normal or whatever I'd usually end up forgetting about half the augs I had installed). The first level will kill you, probably several times. The first level kills everyone several times, and the difficulty level honestly isn't going to change that much - it's a huge huge huge area crawling with guards and bots and friendlies, and it takes a while to navigate effectively. Learn to use the quicksave buttons.

Also, if you see a grenade strapped to a wall, you can generally walk up to it and grab it before it goes off - generally.

I have never installed any mods but I play through on Realistic once every few years, it's a great game all around.

Welp, now I'm going to reinstall DE1, thanks!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pizdec posted:

I personally think that Biomod is a really good way to play DX1. Fixes my number one problem with vanilla - augs are a cumbersome pain in the rear end - while also sensibly rebalancing or otherwise fixing a lot of other things (ie, replacing Swim skill entirely with Athletics, which eventually gets you ledge mantling straight out of Thief) on top of a bunch of the usual outright bug fixes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Deus Ex is best when you have a bunch of passive augs and occasionally turning on an active super power, to make it look like a Hollywood sequence out of Terminator, with head cannon.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Scalding Coffee posted:

Deus Ex is best when you have a bunch of passive augs and occasionally turning on an active super power, to make it look like a Hollywood sequence out of Terminator, with head cannon.

correction: skulgun

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

shadow of mordor, what is need to know?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

double nine posted:

kill many orc

The only things I would say are really important are a) follow the storyline until you get the Brand ability, a few of the cooler things are plot-locked and the game gets really cool once you can do all the stuff, and b) don't be afraid to die, the Nemesis system is super super awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

double nine posted:

Go through the main story until you unlock the thing that lets you mess with the orcs chain of command, then the game opens up immensely. You'll unlock several fun things along the way.

I upgraded my health and found that I almost never died, and dying is part of the experience. Either don't upgrade health or disable the button prompts to make the game more challenging.

efb