Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Awesome thread.

Anyone have help for Crusader King and Europa Universalis III?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
requesting Jagged Alliance 2

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Looking at picking up Valkyrie Chronicles after reading some great reviews. Anyone have any tips thus far?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Captain_Red posted:

Alright, we've have advice for Morrowind and Oblivion, but I recently found a boxed copy of Daggerfall and after going through the rigmarole of getting the thing to work under XP I don't really know what the gently caress.

The character creation tool is ridiculously powerful and probably the best creation tool I have ever seen.

Teleport and Recall are very, VERY useful for getting out of dungeons.

Some dungeons are impossible. Save before going into one.

I hate cheating in games. Cheatmode in daggerfall is a lifesaver for me for the key dungeon location jumping.
http://www.cheatscodesguides.com/pc-cheats/daggerfall/

Enchanting weapons is very useful when you have the money. Doing the wizards guild quests are worth it just for that.

Becoming a Vampire is a blast, but it basically derails whatever you were doing until you do the cure quest.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I know its new, but I forgot I had it on my gamefly list, so its on its way. Anyone have any advice for Godfather 2?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jingleheimer posted:

MLB09 The Show
I'd like help with this game too, I'm playing on PS3 though.

If you are playing on an HDTV, do whatever you can to turn off any delay. If you have a game mode, use it. If you have digital filters or noise reducers or any settings like that on your TV you won't be able to hit or pitch. At least I wasn't.

For pitching, remember that you shouldn't always throw max strength and hit the sweet spot every time. Mix up your speeds, and if your second "click" is past the sweet spot, your release will be a little later which can add curve to your curveballs or drop to your change-ups. If you release it earlier, it can keep a pitch straighter (which is usually not wanted, but you can fool people on the outside by making it look like your hanging a curveball outside of their reach).

Work the outside, and sometimes pitch in. You can't just throw strikes, you need to go inside out, and work below the knees sometimes. Pay attention to the hitters. Some guys like low balls, some like high and inside. Pitch to their weaknesses.

Also pay attention to your situation. If there is a guy on first, dropping a sinker or a low change-up can create double-plays. If you're going against a guy who doesn't have much power, maybe forcing a fly ball might be a good way of getting him out.

For hitting, its tough. Remember the CPU will try to do basically what I wrote above, so watch for it. Don't swing at everything and take some pitches, although I find the CPU doesn't like to walk you. Once you get to 3 balls, they tend not to stray out of the zone, but that's not 100%.

I turned contact and timing to easy via the sliders on mine until I got used to it, and slowly went to normal. I really suggest that. I also had to play small ball my first 15 games or so as I wasn't hitting a lot of extra base hits. So I'd get a guy on first, bunt him over, or hit and run, etc.

Stealing is hard, and the CPU will figure out if you try and steal with Ellsbury every time he is on 1st. Don't just steal automatically. You need to mix it up.

Oh, on defense, the CPU like to try and stretch a guy from first to third a lot. Try to throw to third, as I find I can get the free out pretty often over there.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Any chance of adding the wiki to the OP?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Just bought Torchlight after the recommendation on the video game article. Anyone have any tips?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AG3 posted:

Hold shift to stand still while attacking (useful if you're ranged).

Holy crap thats useful.

Also, started it on Normal and quickly found that yes, there's basically no challenge.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks. I've just been sticking with my FAMAS and working on unlocking the attachments to it, and not messing around with custom classes now that they've unlocked.

What does "bling" mean in the game? Sometimes when I run across weapons that other players have dropped in MP, it will be some weapon name I'm familiar with and then it say "bling" (or maybe "with bling"). Is that just something cosmetic, like camo patterns?

One of the perks you can get allows you two attachments, called the Bling Perk. You can pick up those weapons and use both attachments.

I would actually reccomend start playing around with custom classes after you unlock the SCAR. The SCAR is one of the better all-around weapons, and I like combining it with the fast reload perk.

Another tip for the game:
Go into Free-For-All and use pistols. You'll unlock your secondary attachments which are often overlooked and can be valuable, plus FFA helps with keeping you on your toes. You'll also get points at a fairly decent clip.

After that, play free for all and knife people. Lots of fun, and you get used to using melee, which is VERY powerful in this game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A couple shield guys are also PRICELESS in HQ gametype. You can suck an extra 10-20 points by just going in a corner, or being the first guy spotted when they try and breach.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

BrewingTea posted:

I'd be interested in knowing what "encouragement" I missed (short of loading an old save and replaying half the mansion) that would reinforce these claims of good design.

I played RE1 for 15 minutes before realizing "Whoa, I better not waste ammo."

I was also 14 at the time. Wasn't that hard. Not all games are supposed to hand hold you. RE1 was legitimately tough, and you could end up in a situation where you had to backtrack or even restart. Its not bad design, not every game will guarantee the player victory regardless of their choices.

Sometimes when you play chess, you find yourself at a point where you will likely lose no matter what moves you make from that point on.

On topic, anyone have any general tips for Borderlands. Didn't see it in the Wiki. Its not too hard, but a "how to get the most out of it" would be nice. Is one class more fun than any others?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Edit: My Suggestion is basically those numbers ^^^^

Lakbay posted:

I picked up Fallout 1 from gog and I'm doing okay thanks to some basic tips from gamefaqs but I've had to rely on a party and I really want to play as the Lone Wanderer but the builds wildly vary between the different guides on that site. So I guess I'm asking for a build where I don't have to rely on a party and I want to shoot stuff. I've only gotten as far as the Hub. Also any other general tips

High agility will be one of the most important requirements. Maximizing AP is key to almost any combat build.

From there, you have some choices. I always did well with a small-guns expert that I'd later turn into an energy weapon build. So Agility, a decent perception, decent INT to get skill points. Thievery skills are also useful, especially if you aren't against save scumming to steal crap you need.

I guess you can get away with minimizing CHA given your build. Also, Gifted is a worthwhile trait, especially if you can maximize your INT.

I would probably try to get to level 4 or 5 before totally going alone.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Getting it to run is a game unto itself. MoM was created during that awkward time for PCs when 640K wasn't enough, but there were no standards for memory management. Hopefully the peeps at GoG bundled some compatibility software, or at least instructions.

Even with the final 1.31 patch, MoM still has bugs. Big ones. Some of the worst are...

The Soundblaster code is crashy, use PC speaker or nothing.

The Magic Vortex and Animate Dead spells will cause the game to become unstable and crash soon, whether cast by the player or AI. The Subversion spell does nothing, and Time Stop often causes the game to flake out.(workaround: use a hex editor to change the costs to 9999.)

Playing for more than an hour or two will eventually result in erratic behavior and a crash.

The GoG version runs right off the bat with full mouse and sound support in Windows XP and Vista/7. I bought it, and its working fine. You don't need to do anything.

Don't know if the Vortex/Animate Dead spell bugs are still present....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

The MGS3 Let's Play demonstrated an impressive trick, the Smoke-Book-Bees Switcheroo.

Explain.