Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Final Fantasy Tactics

-Offense > Defense. Enemies typically can't heal/revive themselves worth crap so a bum rush strategy is usually the most effective.
-MA/PA/Speed > HP/MP. Raising your max HP doesn't make much of a difference and past chapter 1 fights should be over before your mages run out of MP. Ignore the Best Fit option and put on equipment that raise MA/PA/Speed.
-Don't use Knights past chapter 1. Especially don't make Ramza a Knight.
-Lots of enemy bosses are Virgo. Make Ramza a Capricorn or Taurus (for good compatability) and he'll be able to OHKO them with a strong magic attack.
-White Magic is better than Item, but Item is more user-friendly for a first time player.
-Black Magic and Item rule the first chapter. Summon Magic rules the entire game. Math Skill rules the entire game even more.
-Males have greater HP/PA. Females have greater MP/MA.

God Hand

-Read the instruction manual to learn how to perform the free moves. Do not neglect them.
-The forward dodge works against many attacks that look they should still hit you. Go with trial and error.
-Left Jab, Straight, Guard Breaker, and High Side Kick are some of the best moves in the game despite the fact that they're among the very first moves you start with.
-High Side Kick and High Cross Kick have the Launch property even though the game doesn't label them as such. Also Hand Plant Kick evades high attacks.
-Moves that have the Evade High Attack property in general kick rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

6025 posted:

Does anybody have any tips for Godhand's last boss?
I found the game pretty doable until this guy but I can only get him to about half health.

Pummels do a lot of damage so put fast punches in your combo to quickly dizzy him. When he spits out demons use Palm Smash or Charged Punch > Mid-air roundhouse to quickly get rid of them. Use the back-dodge for his shockwave attack.

During your fight with Azel one of the pots will contain either a banana or strawberry so save it for Angra if you can. Also, one of the pots near the staircase leading up to Azel will always be a two-orb roulette card. Carry it into the fight with Azel if you already have full orbs.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NicktheBishop posted:

I'm just starting Final Fantasy V. What should I know (particularly regarding the jobs, I'd like to discover secrets and poo poo by myself)?

Mastering classes is completely unnecessary and if you're smart you should never have to grind much or at all to beat the game. Don't be afraid to change jobs a lot. Two important notes for boss battles:

1. You can often nail them with a debilitating status effect
2. Each boss usually has a glaring weakness to a job or two.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Fuzz posted:

So how about some tips for God Hand. Haven't seen any so far in this thread.

Left Jab, Straight, Guard Breaker, and High Side Kick are some of the best moves in the game despite the fact that you start with them.

About the sushi (square combo extenders) - you can take off moves from the fifth and sixth slots at any time so there's no downside to buying them. A 4-move combo is more efficient but you should always have a 6-move combo just cause it's more fun that way. The first sushi gives you Low Kick 1 (it sucks) but buying the second sushi will give you Left Roundhouse which rocks in stage 1.

Determining which dodge will avoid which enemy attack is often trial-and-error so just experiment with it.

Hand Plant Kick (bought in stage 4) evades high attacks even though the game doesn't say so, making it incredibly cheesy.

Don't worry about dying because it doesn't really carry any consequences with it. You'll be rewarded with less money at the end of the stage but there are other ways to make up for it and you're not required to buy everything anyway. If you die with no roulette orbs you'll actually come back with one so there's a benefit.

Barrel Roll Kick, Forearm Smash, and Palm Smash always launch enemies no matter what. The first of those isn't that great but the other two are gold.

As mentioned already, you have innate moves that own. Remember that Reverse Sweep is worse than your innate duck+triangle sweep, so don't bother equipping it.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Put the cursor over the fifth or sixth slot and the message "[] -> Release" or something like that will appear. Low Kick and Left Roundhouse are the special bonuses the descriptions for the sushi are talking about.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Abugadu posted:

Going for some new games and some old games, any tips for:

Final Fantasy Tactics

Just gonna throw out a bunch of random tips here:

-Knights suck past the first chapter.
-Ramza's Squire class is special. As you progress through the game he'll get more abilities and better equip options, making Squire his best all-around class by the last chapter.
-Item is a life-saver in the first chapter. Don't forget you have to actually buy the Potion and Phoenix Down abilities to use them.
-Males have better physical attack while females have better magic attack.
-Read the Tutorial for the basics. Understanding how charge times and clock ticks work is a huge help.
-In general you want high brave and faith for your units. Good zodiac compatability between your units is important too but I wouldn't worry too much about that.
-Press Select on everything.
-Offense >>> Defense. PA and MA (phy. and mag. attack) are far more important than HP and MP. For this reason, never use Best Fit in stores.
-There is no benefit to mastering a class. If you ever feel you have all the worthwhile abilities for a class move on to another one.
-Equips and abilities >>>>> levels. Buy Gained JP UP ASAP and literally never take it off unless you have to to win a battle.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Veritron posted:

The main use of Geomancer is that it gets the best overall stats while leveling - level down as calculators and level up as geomancers to get the best stats.

(Mimes get slightly better physical stats but no MP)

Geomancers don't get exceptionally good stat gains, Calculators are not the best class to level down as, and there's no point in worrying about which class you're leveling up in because it makes very very little difference unless you have like 50+ levels of Mime under your belt.

As said before, the best things about Geomancers are their equip options and stat multipliers. Elemental is a nice bonus.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Placebo posted:

The only option I saw was Normal, and then gold and yellow. I know they're different but I just put it on yellow, I don't exactly remember how they were different and it didn't come with a guide.

It seems like an interesting style though, I want to try it out some.

In Gold mode you have infinite free continues during missions while Yellow mode makes you buy Yellow Orbs to continue from a checkpoint (otherwise you get sent back to the beginning of the mission every time you die). Gold isn't easier than Yellow, it's just a lot less tedious. I'd suggest you start over in Gold if you haven't gotten very far yet. As for general info:

-There are in-game help files for moves and I think all the pre-determined combos for your weapons too (like, for Rebellion you hit attack once, pause for a moment, then hit attack a couple more times for Combo II). If I'm wrong then you can refer to a guide on Gamefaqs.

-Trickster and Swordmaster are the most accessible styles for new players. Gunslinger doesn't have as many uses especially for bosses but it can still be fun to play with. With Gunslinger you might find it easier to put Shoot and/or Style on a trigger button so you can charge your Gunslinger moves while doing melee and dodging.

-Royal Guard isn't very newbie friendly but with a little practice you can still get a lot of use out of it. Normally, you have to guard/release against attacks on the exact frame for the best results but if you roll or jump just before you press the style button the invincibility frames you get from rolling or jumping will make your window much larger. With this simple technique in mind even someone with very little practice can destroy bosses with Royal Guard.

-Have fun with it, try all sorts of weapon and style combinations :) DMC3 has a very freeform combat system so there's no way to really screw yourself over.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

DMC3:

Weapons: All the melee weapons are great, except Nevan. My favorites are the starting sword and the dual scimitars, though the gloves are also quite powerful. The nunchucks are also good, they combo well but are not very strong. Nevan is a piece of poo poo. All the guns are awful. Well, they're not all bad, the rifle and the rocket launcher are ok, but only as a supplement to melee attacks or if you are very far away from the enemy. Either way, don't level them.

Other stuff: Make Air Hike a priority for at least one weapon. Double jumping is very useful to control your movement in fights, especially paired with the Trickster style. Not only that, there are a lot of hidden treasures only accessible with double jumps.

Agreed about Air Hike. Nevan is great though, even if you don't want to spend any time learning it. Reverb Shock, Crazy Roll, and Jam Session are incredibly abusable moves. All the guns are good too.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Iraff posted:

I'm sure that the've been covered extensively, but 77 pages and all...

I just got The World Ends With You and God Hand. Any tips?

God Hand:

-This is just my experience, but the game really isn't that hard if you put effort into playing well. Don't get psyched out.

-Buy the sushi (square combo extenders) asap. The "special bonus" their descriptions refer to are Low Kick 1 for the first and Left Roundhouse for the second, the latter of which is really strong for the first stage.

-New moves in the shop aren't necessarily better than the ones you already have. You can test out all the purchasable moves and roulettes for free in the practice area.

-The moveset you start with is really good. Especially Left Jab, Straight, Guard Breaker, and High Side Kick - those are some of the best moves in the game.

-Barrel Roll Kick, Forearm Smash (bought in stage 3), and Palm Smash (stage 8) always launch enemies regardless of their type. Barrel Roll Kick kinda sucks because it's so slow and uncancelable but the latter two rock.

-Spamming Drunken Fist (gotten in stage 2) completely shuts down single enemies if you cancel out the end of the attack with a forward or side dodge. Left Jab > Straight > Guard Breaker > dodge cancel > repeat destroys most single enemies too. Drunken Twist (stage 5) can single-handedly destroy entire groups of enemies because you'll be invulnerable to high attacks the entire time.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Twitch posted:

Also, any tips for Drakengard?

-Fast weapons that fire off a projectile for their combo finisher like Skald's Song and Flamberge are generally the best for fighting groups. Don't forget that you can quickly knock back an enemy by performing a jump attack.

-The dragon's dumb-fired fireballs are much stronger than her homing fireballs.

-As mentioned, Arioch is the best ally. Note that you have to charge your allies' magic attacks (hold Triangle) to get the full effect.

-Weapons don't gain a whole lot from leveling up, and later ones you find have better starting strength (they all have unique magic attacks though) so I suggest you play around with all of them, get most of them to level 2 because that doesn't take long, and only take the weapons you really like to the max level 4.

-For the sake of your sanity use gamefaqs to find all the weapons. I did and I have no regrets.

-gently caress da haters :colbert:

Edit: Oh yeah, recovering health. Your 17th combo hit (even if it's on a dead enemy) will net you a small green orb. You'll be rewarded with a bigger green orb on I think the 35th hit (FYI along with the area-knockback orbs along the way, you'll get a strength booster on the 100th combo hit allowing you to mow down enemies with ease for a limited time). Outside of a couple weapons' magic attacks and the occasional full-heal chest you can find in some levels, this is your only source of health recovery. Yet another reason why slower, more powerful weapons like maces tend to suck. You can often get a good bit of health back by wailing on a big enemy with one of your weaker weapons. Just remember to slip in a knock-back attack every few hits otherwise you'll get blocked and countered.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 13, 2010

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Monk E posted:

Planning on buying FFX2 sometime soon any advice on how to avoiding missing anything important.

In general, visit every location at least once per chapter and talk to people multiple times if you think they'll have something interesting to say. Don't skip scenes you see for the first time with the square button (you won't get completion points) and in some cases you don't want to skip dialogue with the X button either. If you're ever given a choice on what to do/say take the other option on the next play through. Sometimes failing a mission, approaching it a different way, or completing it a different way can net you different results. One example that comes to mind is the Moonflow mission in chapter 1.

There's no innate benefit to getting 100% story completion in a single playthrough fyi. You retain your percentage across New Game+. I think there's a theoretical max of like 110-115% total you can get across multiple playthroughs so using a guide isn't necessary for that, though it helps obviously.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Barudak posted:

Listen to me, do not go for 100%. Go on youtube and watch that ending if you want to. Do not attempt to unlock it. There is a scene where a man literally rambles at you as the camera slowly zooms out for about 15 minutes and if you skip his dialog or decline to hear the rest of it you will not get a 100% game save. His story is bad. Very bad. Don't go for 100%

Keep on trolling, buddy.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

Okay, so I'm giving Final Fantasy Tactics another try and hoping it sticks with me this time. Any advice to keep it interesting or certain things to watch out for?

Press Select on anything you want more info about. The tutorial is informative, but it can be boring so skip it or save sections of it for later as they become relevant. Also remember the handy-dandy Battle Mechanics Guide on gamefaqs for everything you'd need to know about FFT.

For every ability with a charge time (except Jump) you can press right to see when the ability will resolve.

You want high Brave and Faith for all your units. Among other things, Brave affects how often your Reaction ability will activate. Faith affects the effectiveness of magic you cast and also magic cast on you. You can raise Faith up to 94 (using the Mediator's Preach) before your non-Ramza units will decide to leave the party. Lowering your faith is a legit strategy too but it effectively prevents you from using six skillsets, and that's no fun. fyi magic is pretty overpowered in FFT.

If you don't find it too boring, it's totally worth it to go to the soldier's office at the beginning of the game and continually enter/exit out of the hiring screen until you find a few generics with high (60+) brave and faith and good zodiac inter-compatibility. Also this way you can name them yourself.

Good news: You don't have to grind to get good abilities! Make getting Gained JP UP a priority and keep it on for most of the game. You can also send your generics out on propositions - pick propositions where there are two blue dots next to each other (so there's no possibility of random battles) and you can gain a few hundred JP for a few generics in a couple minutes.

Also it's worth noting Ramza's Squire class is special and improves whenever Ramza gets a new sprite.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 15, 2010

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

Depending on which version you're playing, this isn't necessarily true - while it was corrected in the GBA remake, in other versions you can use the Stray Cat rage (which adds 400% attack power) with the Merit Badge (to allow Gau to equip weapons) and the Tempest sword, which can randomly cast a Wind spell that hits the entire enemy party. You can also add a Genji Glove and a second Tempest for double the fun. (This is commonly referred to as Wind God Gau.)

Wind God Gau wants an Offering, not Genji Glove.

For the most part, Gau is one of the worst PCs if only because in a game as easy as FF6, spending any amount of time grinding to make a character usable is unacceptable. In the time it takes you to get any of his useful Rages you could have fought battles somewhere else and the levels you get from those battles would have more value. Or you could have just gone on with the game using characters that get better abilities without going out of the way.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

PlasticPaddy posted:

That's really disappointing. I need to read some reviews before I buy poo poo :downs:

Are the load time at least tolerable? I'm not the most patient person in world.

FFIV literally has no load times other than loading/saving your game, and you can use the Memo function while you play so you'll only experience load times twice per play session. Don't believe anyone who says Chronicles FFIV suffers from load times.

edit: btw the Advance version is the real PoS. Get it only if you become a huge fanboy.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 6, 2011

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

OilSlick posted:

From what I understand about the sequel, if you aren't too :stare: after the opening cutscene, then there's a decent game there with some decent game mechanics. Myself I couldn't stomach more than 20 minutes. Seriously, unless your tolerance level for annoying anime-style voice acting is unlimited, I can pretty much guarantee this game will cross your "Oh God turn it off!" threshold.

What's "anime-style voice acting"? And I'm pretty sure if you're able to suffer through X's horrible cutscenes and voice acting then X-2's should be no sweat, especially since it has scene skip.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

al-azad posted:

Just to give you an idea of what to expect, there's an entire mission early game to get a bunch of monkeys to gently caress each other while Riku, Yuna, and Payne comment on it. I'm not even exaggerating.

I thought that sidequest was pretty cute myself :3: And I love Zanarkand's music.

A little more on-topic, anyone deciding to play FFX-2 absolutely should not stress out about getting 100% story points. It's really not that big of a deal. Too many people let their OCD get the better of them and lessen their enjoyment of the game.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Shameproof posted:

Just got God Hand, someone give me a their move loadout.

Just keep in mind moves that become available later on are not necessarily better than old moves. The starter moveset is one of the better ones you can create, button layout and all.

If you wanna be really cool, though, you'll create a six-move square combo full of launchers, jugglers, and charge attacks and ditch guard breakers entirely :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

How do you deal with enemies on Level Die that are hard to knock over/juggle?

Critical hits (hitting them just before they hit you) bring out the full effect of knock down/launch/juggle moves. Of course you can still try hitting them normally too, you'll just have to deal with their dodging.