Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
This has probably already come up, but what should I know before playing MASS EFFECT for the very first time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

What should I know before I play "Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines"?
I'm still not done with Mass Effect, but it will be nice to have something to play afterward.

To be specific:
I hear I should use an unofficial patch. Why / How?
Can this be applied if I bought it on steam? (If no then I guess I'll buy it somewhere else.)

What should and shouldn't I do in order to avoid gimping my character?

EDIT:
Also I have vista SP1. Will this be a problem, and if so how should I solve it?

Jarl fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 14, 2009

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

This doesn't really belong here, but I don't think it needs a thread either with this one being around.

Mass Effect:
I'm doing this quest where I'm supposed to knock out a bunch of colonists.

First: Is there any way to make grenades explode earlier, instead of them default being on a LOOOOOOONG timer which often makes them useless (for this quest I have been given a grenade upgrade that will just knock them out).

Second: The quest informs me that I have two ways of knocking them out. One being the aforementioned grenades and the other being melee attack, but I can't find any melee attack button. I've looked through the controls and nothing that looks like it is there. If I take down my weapons and press fire they are just reequipped.

Help. :(

EDIT:
Apparently the first can be done by sprinting. - http://meforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=599924&forum=104 - What was I thinking :confused:

Jarl fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 10, 2009

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Batman Arkham Asylum

My computer exceed the requirements, but when I tried the demo way back it ran like poo poo. Now I'm reconsidering buying the game, so are there some performance issues with the demo that the game itself doesn't have?

What else should I know before going up against the joker and his cohorts?

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

When I've finished Fear I'm going to give Mass Effect 2 a whirl. I'm not looking forward to the mining mini game, but if there is a cheat (PC version) that auto mines the current planet, or alternatively gives resources, that annoyance would be removed.

Some goggling haven't yielded any results, hence it wouldn't surprise me if such a cheat isn't there.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Major Ryan posted:

Sorry if that's not really answering your question, but a lot's been said about how boring the mining is and frankly it's not that bad if you don't obsessively strip mine every rock you see.

I'll have to restrain my obsessive compulsive disorder then ;)

m2pt5 posted:

You can find Gibbed's save editor on the mods page of masseffectsaves.com.

Thanks.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Barudak posted:

Three most important things

1) In the brecilian forest is a vendor who sells infinite Elfroots. This makes infinite potions. You will need these carry rear end-tons with you at all times.

2) The mages tower locks you in for a looooong time once you go inside. There is a section you will have to do solo. Keep a ton of health potions for that part.

3) Morrigan for some dumb reason when she auto-levels does not learn the heal spells. Force her to learn these and if you take Wynn with you as well you will have a fountain of healing behind you.

Wow, we play differently. Both my main char who was a mage and Morrigan didn't have any heal spells, and although I did create healing potions I don't think I ever bought ingredients for it. It might be because I didn't use tactics, and instead applied my party members to specific tasks as I would in BG2 (lots of pausing).

EDIT:
Also as it has been mentioned: Mages kick rear end so having two - or good heavens three - in your party can make all enemies nill allowing for easy elimination.

Jarl fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 16, 2010

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

What path (good or evil) is the strongest in Bioshock; visa vie weapon arsenal.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

I've just started on "Cthulhu Saves the World" and it doesn't seem clear to me how the insanity mechanic works.

Enemies take more damage when insane, or so the narrator says. I must assume that's literally what it does and that none of the enemies power are lost even though that would make sense.
Some enemies become more "dangerous". - Again the wording of the narrator. - What does that mean? Just more damage output or can they get new powers from being insane? Is it certain types of enemies that become stronger or is it different from encounter to encounter?

Also is it possible to tell by looking at the enemy if they have become more powerful due to being insane, because it is hard to compare when the enemies become stronger with each round.

I assume insanity is on or off, and that it doesn't stack on a single enemy.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Vizrt posted:

I did however, if I'm not mistaken, notice that the insanity mechanic caused some bosses to use different abilities.

Do you mean that they focused more on some of their abilities or that they just completely forgo some of them? Like an enemy that would normally also heal suddenly only use its big fire spell, because it's motherfucking insane.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

I'm considering buying Legend of Grimrock. What should I know beforehand. Especially if I don't want to gimp myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

I don't know if there have been any balance patches, but archery was hosed up in that it benefits (a lot) from strength and not dexterity, so minotaur rogues were easily the strongest characters in the game.

I'm playing with the default setup so I assume this doesn't apply since he has no "misile weapons" skill (i.e. he is no rogue).