Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I'm just starting Final Fantasy V. What should I know (particularly regarding the jobs, I'd like to discover secrets and poo poo by myself)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Pocket Billiards posted:

One instance where targetting legs is worthwhile - you can build a dart gun from schematics that does 1000HP damage to a leg. Which makes it easy in VATS to cripple both legs of melee enemy so that they move very slow, like the death claw especially or a super mutant with a sledgehammer.

You don't have to hit them in the legs for this to happen.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Draile posted:

The only familiar worth using is the sword.

This is wrong. Experiment with all of them and find out which you like (they also have some unexpected benefits from time to time).

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

The Machine posted:

I did a quick search of the thread and couldn't find any, so could I get some advice on how to not suck at Mortal Kombat games?

Specifically, 2 for Genesis and 3 Ultimate for SNES. I loving suck and can't get through the first 4 single-player fights before wanting to break the world.

You can't. The computer will throw you/stomp on you at will and there's nothing you can do about it. I haven't played those in many years but I remember them being so goddamn frustrating.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

FFVII

In my opinion, FF7 is the most fun without a guide of any sort. Maybe take a look when you get like 25-30 hours in.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

BrokenLinux posted:

Think I'm going to grab The Witcher: Director's Cut off steam today (unless their weekend deal is too good to pass up). Anyone have any "what should I know's"?

Read page 39.
e: ...of this thread.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

The Blue Pyramid posted:

I started playing Neverwinter Nights

Pretty much any class you start with will have difficulty with the first two areas (whichever they happen to be). Just keep struggling and use a hireling (I like the orc as well but the thief is good for loot) and you should be fine by the time you get to level 6 or 7.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Metroixer posted:

Gonna try to play KOTOR 2 for the umpteemth time. I already know about the mod that patched in the apparently appropriate ending but does anyone have any gameplay advice. (What class, skills, perks to choose? Gonna play offensive jedi with not a big focus on force)

A little late but you should try out the gunslinger build from gamefaqs. That poo poo is the most godly you can get and it's fun to shoot people from far away instead of always running up to them (unless you're a guardian and can jump at them).

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

I'm about to start up FFX. I've watched a good amount of it but never played it myself, and I'd like to make Khimari less of a disappointment than he usually seems to be. From what I've read, there're worthwhile nodes in his area, but it seems like the MP isn't very worthwhile without some MP-burning skills to use it on. What can I do to make Khimari less useless?

He's gonna suck (or be mediocre) until you can send him through Auron's nodes to get massive strength. I sent him down Yuna's path just so he could get cure and be the primary healer because he can just lancet stuff when he runs out of mp. Worked for me.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Even more GTA- you can sprint indefinitely (at least in GTA 3 and Vice City) by tapping the sprint button repeatedly instead of holding it down. You're welcome.

Also, I envy you. Playing these games for the first time is a great experience!

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

al-azad posted:

Invest in harm -> win game.

We really need to prioritize what gets updated in the Wiki because Arcanum posts are about once every three pages.

And patch the game, it crashes when you hit level 50. And entering a certain special portal gives you experience... Goddamnit. I was so close to beating this game (and I thought I patched it). At least its got great replay value.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Astfgl posted:

I also don't advise taking teleport. Traveling is not that difficult, and you miss out on a lot of experience from random encounters if you skip it. And Selane's right, the rest of the tree is worthless.

You know way more about this game than I do, but having teleport on a first playthrough was really nice because I had no idea what to do or where to go. I eventually ended up walking all over the map anyway to try and find hidden poo poo but teleport was great for having to go between towns like 10 times in a row.

I would only get it playing as a harm mage though, since not too many skill points are needed for that build.

e: grammars

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Anything about Super Metroid?

If you're playing it on an emulator make sure to use a controller and not the keyboard- you will need to be holding buttons down while pressing other buttons and most keyboards can't handle that poo poo.

And Dr. Video Games gave good advice. If you get lost or stuck or something, just keep exploring. Enjoy, it's one of the best games ever.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I always got Stray Cat for Gau in the beginning just to help out. It's pretty useful early on.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

w0o0o0o posted:

This is a great thread.

Does anyone have any quick advice for somebody getting started in Diablo 2? Is there any advantage in playing solo online or should I just start a single player game?

Definitely get the expansion as it adds a lot more content to the game. I strongly recommend playing it online. You can play on private games for the single player experience and have the option to join other games without having to create a lvl 1 character.

The online community has a lot of assholes, but for every person that calls you a stupid n00b for not knowing 10 years of D2 history there are cool people that will help you out and answer questions.

Here is the current thread for it if you're interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3280216

edit: Oh yeah, gameplay. Pressing Alt highlights any items that are on the ground, you will be pressing alt a lot.
The F1-F8 keys are the default hotkeys for using skills, but I have found it useful to bind them to asdfgh to switch between them quicker.
When you get a Tome of Town Portal, bind it to a hotkey so you can use it quickly... it will save your life!

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 3, 2010

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

ohnoitsphil posted:

What do I need to do to enjoy Arcanum Steamworks and Magic Obscura? I bought it off of GOG and after playing for awhile I'm absolutely hating the combat. Everything else is great but every battle is just me hammering Harm on the enemy (Virgil does nothing) and if my fatigue runs out then I might as well just reload a save because my character falls down and never gets back up. I read that a mage was the easiest build but I'm having some doubts about that. I just got Sodd Mead Mug in Shrouded Hills and still cant beat the thieves guarding the bridge so I cant leave for Tarant.

I love everything else about the game so I really want to proceed, can anybody tell me the absolute easiest character build?

I think the harm mage is the easiest, but that battle is pretty hard. If you can't talk your way through it, and you have Sogg with you, you should be able to handle it. Have you done all the quests you can think of in town? You should be at level 3 or 4 if I remember correctly, and you should be using the turn-based combat (you can spam harm better without it but it's not worth it until you have a lot of fatigue points). Buy and use every kind of fatigue restorer/potion you can and go all out. Have Virgil and Mr. Meadmug tank for you you'll get lucky eventually... I almost did it without Sodd when I didn't have the CHA so you should be able to handle it. Talk your way through if you can, because it will open up a lot of future questlines if you become that dude's friend (you can even kill him afterwords anyway) and I don't think the consequences are bad. It just makes that sheriff guy mad and he's a cowardly dick anyway... he won't attack you or anything. I think, it's been a while.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

The BG 2 interface is way better, definitely do the tutu thing.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

I got Tutu to work, but the game is still buggy as hell. I'll get over it though

I don't really know but you should ask in this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3136028

Even though it's about BG2 it seems to be the default BG thread. People in there know so much it's disgusting.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I think he means fatigue, armor, stuff like that. I haven't played since it came out so I can't give a thorough answer but here's what I remember:
-Defense affects your chance to avoid being hit. Higher defense is better.
-Armor reduces damage taken when hit. I don't know the multipliers but higher is better and remember that piercing weapons (daggers, arrows) are unaffected or barely affected by armor (I forget).
-Fatigue is the price you pay for wearing armor (maybe some weapons, too?). Your fatigue stat is a percentage, and any skill you use will drain more stamina/mana. Like, lets say it costs 50 stamina for Alistair to use Shield Pummel. If he's all armored up and has 20% fatigue, then we add 20% of the original stamina price to the total, making it cost 60 stamina instead.

Yeah they got it ^^^^
Also I'm pretty sure if you scroll over the stats you're curious about the tool tips in game will explain it as well

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Astfgl posted:

Just started Borderlands on the PS3 with a Sniper. I'm a couple levels in, but I haven't gotten my action ability yet. Seems pretty straightforward, but if there's anything easy to miss or whatever, I'd love a heads-up.

One thing that bugs about the game is that the enemies respawn relatively quickly. When I played a sniper this pissed me off because I would take my time and pick people off and would have to fight my way both in and out of large areas. So taking your time can have negative consequences.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Here's a timesaver for console versions of Fallout: New Vegas.

-Sick of having to save using the slow-rear end save system? Just rest for one hour and the game will autosave. Over the course of the game, this will probably save you 30 minutes (if you are like me and paranoid of being overrun by deathclaws or caught stealing and save every five minutes).

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

No it's not. I've yet to have the game crash except once when I tried to use my PipBoy. I've probably totaled less than 50 hours but I would expect to have run into that by now if it's that big of an issue.
Saving takes less than 15 seconds but I played Fallout 3 on a PC and am used to quicksaving so it seems like a loving eternity to me. I don't know why it took me so long to realize I could use resting for a quicksave substitute but it is something I wish I had known from the start.
So I guess DISCLAIMER: If autosave crashes your game don't do it.

e: typo

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Astfgl posted:

Weird Wasteland is a trait, not a perk. It's designed way more for hardcore completionists who are going to be poring over every inch of in-game space. If that describes your playstyle, then take it and you probably won't regret it. I'm pretty anal about RPGs and I didn't bother to take it, so there you go.

Really, the only trait you should avoid is Four-Eyes as it's basically a free stat penalty with no corresponding bonus.

Doesn't Four-Eyes only penalize you if you're not wearing glasses? If I'm thinking of the right one, it gives you + to PER with any glasses and - to PER without. It's great to use if you won't be wearing a helmet (you can still wear hats with glasses).

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Erdos posted:

I was always interested in playing Neverwinter Nights and I was bored so I bought the diamond edition off gog. There wasn't anything on the wiki, so any tips?

You already know not to play the original campaign. After you finish the expansions I recommend visiting http://nwvault.ign.com/ and browse the user-generated content. There are some really enjoyable modules people have made. The site is kind of difficult to navigate, but if you explore a little bit you should be able to find some cool poo poo. It's been a long time and I can't remember a lot of them, but Ravenloft: Beyond the Gate and Honor Among Thieves stand out as exceptional ones.

Also, the beginning of Hordes of the Underdark can be daunting and/or boring but it is worth plowing through (if you happen to feel that way about it).

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

PRL412 posted:

I've finally cracked open my copy of Fallout 3 GOTY, and have browsed the wiki page. I've just diffused Megaton's bomb so I could unload all the crap I hauled out of Vault 101. I'm looking for anything not already mentioned as well as some specific info:

1.) I remember a tip from earlier in the thread saying that you should do all of Moira's side missions and optional objectives but I can't remember why they recommended this. I already did the radiation quest and noticed I got a bonus perk for soaking up 600 rads. Do the optional objectives all give small perks like this or are they just for the money/experience?

2.) Since all the DLC is installed, I've heard that some of the caravans can wind up dead with the higher level creatures running around. Is there a way to keep them safe or to avoid losing them?

3.) Can I still have a good character/ending if I ransack everyone/everything I come across? I'm guessing the larger acts of good karma balance out all the small bad ones, but will that leave me neutral?

1. You get little perks for some or all of them. They can be different ones, too, I think it has to do with how you answer her questions afterwords (STR-based responses yield different perks or bonuses than INT-based responses).

2. I don't know.

3. Steal everything. You have to be very evil to accumulate enough bad karma to counteract your quest rewards, and you can always donate purified water to the bums outside of cities for free karma. It's a pretty useless feature.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Gynovore posted:

1) The previous posters have the basics covered, but there are two missions that deserve special mention. One has you planting a transmitter in a Mirelurk nest; the optional objective is to not kill any mirelurks. The latter is very very hard, since mirelurks are nasty foes at low levels, and the building is fairly twisty and convoluted. A cheaty way to do it is to go to the building _before_ accepting the mission, kill all the mirelurks, _then_ accept the mission. If you decide to do it honestly, bring a lot of Stealth Boys, and be prepared to save and reload a lot.

I say use the stealth boys. It's pretty intense, and the exp bonus is more significant at a low level.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Artix74 posted:

I picked up Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines in the Steam sale and don't really know a whole hell of a lot about it. I do know it's supposedly buggy as gently caress and you need to install a fan patch, but that's about it. I took a look through the wiki and it basically only has "Don't play these two races at first, have at least one combat skill, and make sure you're good at lockpicking." Anything really to add to that?

E: Also, do I need to install the unofficial patch to where the VtM:B files are (ie steamapps folder) or just wherever?

-There's not much you need to know. Like you said, it's highly recommended to not play as a Malkavian or Nosferatu for your first run (and highly recommended to play as a Malkavian at some point).
-As far as combat, choose melee or guns and stick with it. If you go guns, you still need to put some points in Unarmed (for feeding!) and it will be hard at first. Actually, the combat is clumsy and can be hard throughout, but if you play smart, using your skills and whatnot, you can make it.
-Lockpick and Hacking are both important skills. Eventually, max them both out. In the beginning you can use blood-buff to boost your base stats to 5, the extra points in dexterity will translate into your lockpicking skill. If you don't need to raise your dex, you can save some points by blood-buffing every time you pick a difficult lock. Which reminds me...
-Skills cost more and more xp per level, so don't go too crazy with skills you don't need. You have to feel it out. Check to see if a stat will raise more than one skill- for instance, adding a level to Research will give you one point in research, while adding a point to Perception will give you a point in Research AND Hacking (this example may not be accurate).
-Choose either Seduction or Persuasion if you want to level up your social skills- Intimidate is pretty useless in comparison. Persuasion responses are written in blue text, Seduction in pink, and Intimidate in green. They have diminishing returns in the sense that five ranks of Persuasion will work for just about everybody, while you only need seven ranks for two people, etc. I think seven or eight is enough, I could be wrong.
-Each race gets three clan powers, usually one of them sucks and is not really worth leveling. If you're making a melee character (or any character), Celerity will make you a god. If you find a skill you like to use, max it out when you can.
-The story, atmosphere, immersion, and conversations are what make this game a classic. Avoid any guides and spoilers like the plague and play as you see fit. You'll probably miss some minor stuff but not any super weapons or anything like that.
e:- there are some side missions later on that involve sneaking and hacking, so beef up your Sneak if you don't have powers to handle that for you.

If you get stuck, there's a thread where people know everything:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394372

But don't read it unless you have to, it will spoil a lot of poo poo for you.

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 1, 2011

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

unleash the unicorn posted:

NWN2: Are Pale Masters still crippled compared to wizards/sorcerers? I think it used to be that they didn't get as many spells or something

Yeah, it's really sad. Pale Master should be badass as hell, at least give them some necromantic spells every level or something.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Decrepus posted:

If Pale Master is crap is Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep any good? I made a wizard and have began taking levels in that and hopefully that isn't bad.

I can't remember, but if you're still gaining spells every level then there's no disadvantage to using it (except maybe an epic feat for a pure caster class, but who cares about that).

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm playing Dragon Knight Saga, and looking at the wiki and reading FAQs, I understand that the game starts out very difficult, and then you reach a point where the difficulty drops off and it becomes extremely easy. I'm currently slogging through the hard part in the beginning and I'm not having a terribly fun time of it. What's the ideal build to get me through this early part of the game as easily as possible?

I'm playing as a sword and shield warrior, and I haven't unlocked Life Leech yet. Maybe things get better after that? Maybe I just need to buy more potions.

Ask in this thread, the people know everything (it might even be in the OP, I didn't check).
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366609

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Anything I should know before playing Torchlight? I know someone posted about it some time but it's not in the wiki yet.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Centipeed posted:

I have searched through the thread and added some tips to the wiki for you!

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Torchlight_1

Thanks for doing all this, it's a very useful site.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Anything I should know about GTA 4? The wiki has some good tips already but specifically, how the gently caress do you lose your wanted level when you have more than two stars? To use the pay and spray you have to be out of sight of the cops, and they hound you so relentlessly I figured there might be something I don't know.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Advancing the main quest lines can cancel side-quests, so do the side-quests first. So far there doesn't seem to be a penalty for delaying the main quest, even if people are pestering you and telling you it's urgent.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Happy Bear Suit posted:

GTA: San Andreas for PC
I bought the GTA bundle off Steam. Any tweaks or optimizations for the game to make it run and look better? The intro videos don't play (I hear the spraypaint sound FX but only a black screen) and I dislike the vehicle speed blur effect.

Also how do I fly planes because holy gently caress I am terribad at it.

I had played it consoles and then got it later on PC, and while flying is a bitch at the best of times it was impossible on PC (I don't have a controller). I had to quit.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Gynovore posted:

In one of the ruined towns north of Goodsprings is a unique pair of spiked knuckles named Love and Hate, which does insane damage.

These are so awesome. I think I got mine from one of the Fiends, but I can't remember. I like them better than the power fist because they're quick, power fist is so goddamn slow.
I left my unarmed/melee playthrough unfinished but getting close to the end, so I have yet to encounter any deathclaws. How do you deal with these? Even leveled up and fully armored they can get a couple criticals and kill you outright. I've been leveling explosives as well to launch missiles at them but was wondering if there was a viable melee technique. FO3 was no big deal, but they were a lot weaker in that one.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Pierzak posted:

And DON'T get the patch. You'll know which one.

You don't have to get that? Crazy.

I recommend buffing up hacking stealth pretty early, and trying to stay one or two clearance levels up from what you normally run into (if there's a lot of level 2 terminals, be at least proficient in level 3 hacking). That's only if you care, though, I always get really frustrated when I can't hack something.

You can do terrible things to the police as long as you can get far away without anyone seeing you, so if you get carried away at a certain point you can sneak off and it will be all good later.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Anyone got any good starting tips for Dark Souls? There's a few already on the wiki, but I'm missing some basic elements. How do I heal myself? What does humanity do/being harrowed do? Why do I want humanity? What is does kindle mean? Do ceramic vases ever have any items in them?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Thanks for the Demon Souls tips! Very helpful.

quote:

You heal yourself with estus flasks, which are an item you can assign to your item button (down on the d-pad cycles through them, square uses the item). You should have picked them up from a knight guy in the asylum (tutorial).
Welp, guess I'm starting over. I didn't get this somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I kind of glitched my way back in to the demon through the big doors and killed it. I totally missed the hole in the wall that the bowling ball made, so I kept trying to get through the big doors and even though they were 'locked by a strange force' or whatever it just let me back in. (e: and the demon left me the big pilgrim key.) I'm glad I asked you guys and restarted, I mean I knew this game was supposed to be hard but you can imagine how I felt trying to make progress with no estus flask.

I have just a couple more questions: In the tutorial, there was a door I couldn't unlock, just around the corner from the point where you drop in on the demon. I assume it led to that broken stairway with the corpse on it, I'm curious to know how to get there.
I assume I'll have to look online for explanations of spells, the cleric dude is selling some but I don't know what they do/if they are worth it. Also, If I'm a pyromancer and I join the priest's faction or whatever can I learn from his school too? Or will that gently caress me up (I hope not)?
Can you sell weapons somewhere? I've been picking up short swords and am wondering whether or not to keep them.
Thanks for all the help so far, I've got a ton more questions but it's all stuff I can figure out myself. This game could really benefit from a beefier instruction manual.