Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

pee air posted:

Earthbound
-Don't give Jeff any IQ capsules, he doesn't need them.

If you give him your IQ capsules, he learns to repair broken items sooner and can get you some really powerful weapons earlier. I don't think IQ even does anything significant for the other characters.

Here's a good stat grinding trick: If you use a Rock Candy with a Condiment (I think Jar of Delisauce works best) when it pumps one of your stats, the condiment is consumed, but the rock candy isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Binowru posted:

A couple more Xenogears tips:

When you first gain control of Fei at the beginning of the game, check under Fei's bed for free money.

This reminds me of a few more:

Chrono Trigger
- When you first begin the game, talk to Crono's mom twice and she'll give you some money.

- The Soda Guzzling game is a good way to build up a lot of Silver Points early, especially if you have a turbo controller. There's a man in a tent over by Lucca's sideshow that trades your Silver Points for Gil. You can use the Gil to buy a Lode Sword from Melchior before you visit Lucca's sideshow.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A few people mentioned Shadowrun (Genesis) a few pages back. I just started playing and I made a Gator Shaman. I got my first contract, but when I go to the abandoned building to kill the ghouls, I end up getting slaughtered. I realize a mage is probably the most difficult class to start (like every other RPG) but is there something I'm missing? Should I have a buddy by this point?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Morwan posted:

Shining Force I/II/II
* Your main character is the most powerful character you have. Make sure to keep him leveled, and use every stat boosting item on him. Many people try to keep him out of combat since you lose the game if they die. Most of the time they end up hating the game because he ends up being one-shotted in later parts of the game.
* Spend an hour at the beginning of the game cheesing up your level (kill almost everything, cast return/egress, repeat), it'll make later battles much easier.
* Spam heals in easy battles. If you wait until they're actually needed, your healers won't get any XP.
* If you can, wait until level 20 for your first promotion. You still get good stat gains.

Speaking of promotions, can you promote some characters twice, or do you have to reach a certain level to get their other class?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Actually, I'm just starting a game of Book 1 on Shining Force CD.