Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Colon V posted:

Anything for the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games? Specifically, Explorers of Sky?

I realize this was a few pages ago but:

-For the early game before you can do random/Wonder Mail Missions, don't forget your throwing items. Makes the fight against a certain criminal a LOT easier.

-Try to keep at least one High PP move on your leader. Even low power moves are still often enough to pack a whallop. Keep a Max Elixir or two available at all times and don't be afraid to use them because they're everywhere.

-When you die in a dungeon, any mons you recruited that run and are still with you at the time are lost. Similarly if the recruited mon dies and you have to reviver seeds, they're gone. However any mons sent to the guild as a result of having no room, are yours to keep regardless.

-Don't be fooled by the low accuracy, multi-hit moves, especially ranged ones like Bullet Seed, they are easily the best offensive moves in the game. Any move that provides self healing is incredibly invaluable, and speed raising moves make you practically invincible by letting you double/triple/quadruple turn your enemies. Treecko in particular can have all three and is a starter.

-When you stumble upon a monster house, step back into the hallway to take on the enemies one at a time. If you enter a floor on a Monster House, try to make for a hallway, or use moves that hit multiple targets, preferably ranged multi-hit moves or room hitting moves.

-IQ skills are not all AI tweaks. They also have some passive stat modifications among them. Your leaders IQ also affects what Tactics you can set for your allies IIRC.

-Hold onto your Gummis until Spinda's Cafe opens up, then always use them to make drinks there. You not only get the IQ boosts, but you're garunteed at least one stat boost per gummi as well, sometimes two.

-To figure out what Gummis a pokemon likes, beyond the one(s) that match its typing, look at a type matchup chart. The more damage they would take from a move of that type, the more they'll like the gummi and they'll get a bigger IQ bonus. (So a water type would love Yellow Gummis (Electric), but wouldn't be so enthused about Red ones (Fire))

-For the most part, your leader should be doing most of the work. The rest of your team is mostly cleanup crew.

-Get acquainted with the in dungeon menus. There are going to be times when you should be tweaking your allies' AI pretty much every round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Robzor McFabulous posted:

I finally got round to getting Final Fantasy 9 from the PSN while on sale. I've had a look at the Wiki entry for some things to watch out for, but it didn't say anything about potential missables. Is there anything worthwhile I need to find/do before certain points of the story? FF7 had quite a bit of this, including two possible party members.

Steal from the first fight in the game until you get the Mage Masher. Have Zidane equip that right away for an ability that lets you see what an enemy has to steal. Use that on any boss to see what they have that might be worth stealing. Generally it's worth stealing everything from every boss you can and that's the best way to get good stuff. There's lots and I mean LOTs of missable chests and such in this game, but in general getting boss steals is what you want to worry about if you want the good stuff.

Also much like FF8, most of the world closes off during Disc 4, so make sure you do as much as you can on Disc 3 before going to the Shimmering Island.

EDIT: Anyone got anything for Mass Effect 1? The wiki page seems to have a lot conflicting information (Get Rich quick/don't worry about Rich, Get an Assault Rifle ASAP/The pistol is awesome).

Head Hit Keyboard fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 16, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Artix posted:

Plus, Haste is amazing, and Hope doesn't get it until Chapter 9 or 10 if I remember correctly, so you're absolutely justified in using him for a while if you want.

12, Fang can actually get it before Hope if you develop her Synergist enough though it's probably not worth all those points pre-Growth Egg. Though you can technically grab it and and go do other sidequests before making the area switch.

That said, Haste is literally so good in this game that once you get the option to choose whoever you want, Sazh should never leave the party for any reason short of a battle where you're using Shrouds until you get someone else who can use Haste. Haste is really that good.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd go one further: Eidolon fights are bullshit, open a guide when you hit one and have it tell you exactly what to do. There's not even much strategy to them if you don't.
Eidolon's always respond to essentially two things. First is chaining, whether that chain is maintained or not ie. don't bother with Commandos at all. Second is more broad in that it's essentially using any of that leader's primary roles other than Commando and Ravager. This generally isn't as good as chaining just because of how easily the chain builds up, but it's there and it can help.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Bolverkur posted:

On what system? I don't know about min/maxing, gameplay is fairly straight-forward and not that hard. I've however heard that some PSOne versions are ridiculously unbalanced, but the SNES/GBA ones are fine. Usually it pays off to search each area well, there are often some summons that you miss out if you hurry through. As a general tip I'd say that (very, very minor spoilers, hints really, but just in case) you make sure that you've done everything you want to do after heading on a very big mission from your airship, and that you wait for Shadow when the time comes, no matter what.

The PS1 version isn't unbalanced, it just has load times bad enough that you shouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

As for "do I have to pay attention to the mechanics or not" the answer is "Sort of". Part way through the game you start getting magicite which has two purposes. One is to teach spells to your party, and the other is to boost their stats on level up. You can easily get away with just ignoring the latter but in the grand scheme of things in this game, Magic has a better power curve than physical, so you want to make sure your team always has access, or is working towards getting a decent spellpool. Beyond that, spread out who you use and make sure everyone stays approximately the same in levels, as this game has 14 characters and the final dungeon will essentially expect you to use 12 of them. As long you're not just using the same team over and over and you shuffle your magicite around every so often, you should be fine.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Anything I should know about Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

lowercase16 posted:

Cursory Googling has peaked my curiosity and resulted in no threads or Let's Plays.

Surely SOMEONE has subjected themselves to this game for my entertainment. Any clues?

This is the most complete LP of the game I'm aware of. The commentary is bad and it was recorded with a Dazzle but apparently it's a 100% run so you can find everything there if you really want to.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

JaggerMcDagger posted:

I think weapon skills cross-class, job related skills don't?

All skills (anything that you "buy" with skill points) cross classes. Magic however, or anything else earned from raw levels, do not.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of Mass Effect 1, I just finished that, so what can you guys tell me about Mass Effect 2? Specifically things that might help with the genre shift because I'm generally bad at cover shooters. :sweatdrop:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Technetium posted:

Decided I might start playing New Vegas.

On the mods front, get rid of Mission Mojave and start over your playthrough, it breaks far more than it fixes. Also consider dropping EVE since it's known for crashing a lot.

As for the actual game, focus on your non-weapon skills, especially speech. Speech will open up the majority of the game's conversation choices. I'd say Sneak and Medicine are the next most important though it's up for debate. Barter is by and large a waste of skill points.

If you plan on doing the DLC and you've specced in guns, be ready to pick up a melee weapon regardless of your skill anyway. Dead money and Old World Blues both are very unfriendly to gun users, especially OWB.

As far as non-standard ammo goes, AP is for Deathclaws, Hollow Points are for Cazadores, using special ammo against nearly anything else is a kind of a waste.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Any tips for Civilization V for someone who's never played any of them? I just downloaded it from the free weekend and even with the tutorial and advisor level on "New to Civ" I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

PJOmega posted:

The Sly Cooper Collection for PS3?

- Sly 1 is a very different game from the rest of the series. 1 is more or less a Crash clone while the rest are more open level mission-based stealth.

(1) You can jump to any available level from the world's hub by opening the map with Select

(1,2) Try to collect all the bottles in every level, turn down the background music in the options and use the tapping sound the bottles make to help locate them

(2) Collecting bottles can attract enemy attention like running can

(2,3) You are completely silent when moving unless you are holding the run button.

(2,3) In 2 and 3, watch every guard for glowing pockets. Always pickpocket those for extra money to spend on upgrades.

(2,3) You press Select to map your upgrades to the controller. Somehow this was lost on me for the longest time.

(2) In 2, if enemies spot you as Bentley, you're probably better off running away than trying to whack them up close with your crossbow. He gets a better melee attack in 3

(2,3) This probably goes without saying, but I feel like I should mention it anyway. Only Murray can take Flashlight guards head on. If you're spotted by one as Sly or Bentley, your only option is to run.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

I have never once played D&D in my life and have no idea how any of it works.

Given that, what do I need to know for Neverwinter Nights 2? The GOG version if that matters.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I started FF 12 Zodiac Job Edition and am immediately paralyzed by choice on the class selection screen. Is it possible to screw yourself with stupid choices? Is there a newbie trap class? Any other tips appreciated too.

Machinist is a class basically made for low level games. Their weapon of choice isn't so good on high level characters. Beyond that you can pretty much do what you want. Even Time Mages aren't unworkable.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Fungah! posted:

Going to finally get started on the DS remake of SaGa 2 in the near future, does anyone have anything for it?

Ooohh... I'm going to assume you've played the GB version or at least know how it works.

-90% of all knowledge (if not more) of the GB version still applies. This game did not receive nearly the overhaul that SaGa 3 did.

-All the races have some new gimmick.
--Humans can gain skill and specialize in certain weapons to increase their damage and accuracy with them.
--Espers (Mutants) can gain bonuses for consistently using spells of a certain type (Attack, Negative Status, and Support IIRC)
--Mechas (Robots) don't really have a gimmick so much has they can get a bunch of new unique equipment. Including units that give them a magic stat.
--Monsters benefitted the most and can now pass along moves when transforming sometimes, as long as the resultant monster doesn't already have 8 moves. Additionally, under certain (non-random) conditions you can get "variant" monsters. Basically more powerful versions with higher stats and some moves swapped around (often single target stuff being replaced with multi-target, weaker statuses replaced with better ones, etc.)

-In the GB version there was a bug that caused only the first group of enemies in any given encounter to give you money. This bug does not exist in the DS version but prices weren't changed to deal with the extra cash. Additionally, chain encounters give even more money. This means you can spend yourself silly and still not be able to dent that maxed out wallet by endgame. Also if you're lucky you might even be able to get Giant's Armor when it first becomes buyable.

-World 2 Sprite is still a thing. She's even more broken if you can get a variant.

-Threads of Fate allow you to perform combo attacks for extra damage. Attacks that have been linked into have 100% accuracy and will always proc a status ailment if one is available for the given attack. this also allows you to bypass normal turn order.

-Speaking of turn order, you can dictate which order your characters will attack in by pressing X before giving out commands for the turn. Useful for making sure Humans and Espers get their stat-boost chances.
--Guests will always act after all your other party members when you do this.

-Threads of Fate also create relationships amongst your party members. This has an effect on some side-quest dialog and in some cases, side-quest availablility.
--There are a fair number of new side-quests in the game. Most aren't missable, some are. the missable ones tend not to have noteworthy rewards IIRC so don't worry too much about it.

-The Castle of Fate, where you buy the threads, can only be visited once per world, from the bridges in between the worlds. If you don't visit from a particular bridge however, you can always go back to that bridge and use that chance, so you can sort of stockpile your chances to visit and buy threads. If any of this makes sense...
--You can visit the Castle as much as you want from the Last Town.

-During certain storyline event there might be an X Button event interrupt that'll give you an Orb. These Orbs can be used at the Castle of Fate after World 4 (IIRC) to level up your Threads and give you more opportunities to use them in battle. There's 5 chances to get these orbs in the game and you need to have a different overall party relationship in each event in order to get the other orbs. So switch up your threads every time you get one of these.
--There's technically 8 orbs in the game, one for each thread. Since there's only 5 chances in the game to get orbs, the remaining 3 will have to wait until NG+.
---Each orb levels up all the threads though.

-For simplicities' sake, I'd say it's best to just use one type of thread at a time. So if you want to get Rival threads, don't get any others. In fact, throw out the others so you can keep your parties' relationship under control

-The black market warehouse slime that you can sell stuff to for peanuts but still by back for a premium? He serves no purpose in a normal playthrough. The stuff you sell to him DOES carry over to NG+ though.

I could post more but then we'd be getting into less "tips" and more into "lets royally break the game" territory. Heck, the stuff with the orbs is probably overkill enough. :v:

If you want more though and you can read some Japanese/are will to deal with a massive machine translation, there's a really good Japanese wiki here.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Fungah! posted:

Actually, does anyone know if there's a translation patch for SaGa 3 out? I'd love to take another shot at it at some point.

Not yet. There is one that is going to have an open beta in the near future though.

Regarding FFL2 GB, here's an english site that goes over various mechanics and is mostly accurate to the DS version as well. Most important thing there that you might want to keep open while playing is the Monster evolution guide. Beyond that SaGa 2's base mechanics are pretty simple by SaGa standards so it shouldn't be too hard to figure the bulk of it out naturally.

Head Hit Keyboard fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 12, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Interested in this game, but your link says I'm not authorized to view that forum.

That would be because I posted the link without realizing I what subforum I was in. :doh:

That being said, the beta patch is out now. This link will definitely work.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

It's funny, people complain about the difficulty in WRPGs when the designers give you a poo poo ton of items that no one uses because they're one-use. You could write a thesis on how D&D players never use their potions even though they're intentionally making the game harder.

http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=072709

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Anything for Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together for the PSP?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

How about something for Mass Effect 3 since I am now getting around to playing that one?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Goons posted:

ME3 Multiplayer and DLC talk.

I was thinking I wasn't gonna get any paid DLC this time because I really don't feel like spending that much money on my current budget. The $17 I spent on ME2 DLC was lots.

What kind of multiplayer is it in ME3? I tend to shy away from competitive environments because that kind of atmosphere and the initial "get good and gain levels while constantly losing" grind of those types of games are really the opposite of what I like playing games for.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

McCoy Pauley posted:

Same question for Saints Row 3. I have whatever DLC missions came with the ultimate pack that was in that humble bundle some time ago. Can I do those missions whenever I want, or should I save them for after beating the main storyline?

They're completely standalone so do them whenever you want.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anything I should know about Kingdom Hearts 1.5HD? I've beaten the original before, I'm just curious as to anything Final ReMix changes or adds. Oh and anything for the two side-games included with KH1 on it.

KHFM:
1. Proud mode will be harder (read: less fair) than you think.
2. If you're like me and expect to get Second Chance, don't pick the rod or you won't get it until level 90.
3. On a similar note, don't sacrifice the rod. You can craft permanent stat boosts to make up for lost strength/defense from sacrificing the shield/sword, but you'll never get the MP back that you lost from dropped the rod. Additionally, 1 MP has a larger impact than the few points of Strength or Defense
4. Don't underestimate magic. Spells tend to hit quite a bit harder than melee, Stop is pretty awesome against crowds, Aero cuts incoming damage in half, and with enough MP, Gravity can go ahead and garunteed one-shot a good chunk of enemies in the game.
5. Also, stuff like Stun Impact and Ripple Drive are awesome AoE combo finishers that base their damage on MP.

Re:CoM:
1. Of the three things you can raise at level up, HP is the least important.
2. Don't be afraid to use sleights liberally
3. Sonic Blade is the best attack Sora gets
4. Backload your deck with Zeroes when fighting bosses so you can easily break their sleights.
5. Hold onto a blue #1 map card for the end of the game. You'll need one there but this type of card in particular is more common in the early game areas.
6. Always scavenge rooms thoroughly for moogle points. There's no other way to get them (that I remember anyway)

358/2 Days is a game's story condensed into a movie-esque format.

That's all I got off the top of my head.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

I was surprisingly okay with the ending for ME3, but I can understand to an extent why people don't like it. It's definitely the weakest part of the game without question, but I felt spoke just as much about how great the rest of the game is in comparison as it does about the ending itself. Between that and various gameplay enhancements, I think I actually prefer 3 over 2, though I do think the overarching story is the series is weak to begin with while the characters are generally exceptional.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Burning Mustache posted:

The PS3 version at least includes the ME2 DLCs Lair of the Shadow Broker, Overlord and Kasumi, therefore only missing Arrival of the substantial DLCs.

That's only because vanilla ME2 included those on PS3.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

I just got Civ 5 Brave New World for my birthday and realized that I have no idea how to play Civ 5 at all. Any tips?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

I just started FF XIII-2 and I don't know what to make of the new crystarium. Should I just upgrade one role at a time, or try to keep them equal, or what?

Building up RAV early is a good idea. For Serah unlock SAB asap and focus on that until it's level 18 (Imperil). Beyond that you can pretty much do what you like though it's worth noting that Serah is the better RAV, SEN, and SAB, while Noel is the better COM, MED, and SYN. Outside of RAV and generally SAB though, monsters always end up performing roles better than your main duo.

If you really want to min/max then know that the big orbs on the Crystarium offer extra bonuses based on what role you level up with it.

COM: Strength
RAV: Magic
SEN/MED: HP
SYN: HP(Even Levels)/Magic(Odd Levels)
SAB: STR(Even Levels)/Magic(Odd Levels)

It's not really worth agonizing over though. Just do what you think would be best and you'll likely come out of it just fine.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

How about some things for Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut. Read the wiki page for the base game already but I want to know if there's anything specific to the new version I need to know, and if there's anything I need to know as someone who's never played a Deus Ex game before.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

EddieDean posted:

What should I know before I play Final Fantasy XIII? I'm committed to play it through so no need to warn me off.

I don't want to get overwhelmed as I've never played a FF game before, and Gamefaqs started talking about Trapezoids and a bunch of stuff I presume I'm not going to see for ~20 hours. So if you're feeling really helpful, maybe break it down by 'Stuff to know at the start' and 'Stuff to know from point X'?

Most importantly, can I miss anything? I don't want to have to go on a treasure hunt later and be unable to, and I want to minimise my grind (but yeah, I understand there may be some grind).

You can't revisit any areas prior to leaving Cocoon, so if you finish an area an there's treasure you've missed, you can't go back for it. that said, the hallway nature of the level design, the fact that you have a minimap, and the fact that treasure sphere make noise if they haven't been picked will work in your favor. Most of the really good stuff you won't have to really go out of your way for and if you do miss it, you can usually just buy some later if you have the money.

As for other general stuff, the first two chapters will be longer than they really should be and fairly tedious as you won't have access to the game's central mechanic of paradigms yet. Just power through that as fast as you can. Starting with chapter 3 you get access to paradigms, basically sets of job classes, and you'll need to know what does what, and how the AI reacts to different setups.

COM: Straight up damage dealers, slows decay of the chain gauge
RAV: Lower Damage, builds chain gauge (damage multipliers) faster
MED: Heals, not much else.
SEN: Tank. Draws enemy attention and reduces damage for the entire party

These two aren't introduced until the next chapter but I'll include them anyway.
SYN: Buffs. Whether that be damage reduction, damage increasing, weapon enchantment, etc.
SAB: Debuffs. The opposite of SYN really. Slows chain gauge decay and increases it.

I don't have much time right now so just a few general tips.

- Don't go into the game expecting exploration or sidequests or any of that. Go in expecting a gauntlet of battles, because that's really what it is for the most part.
- Treat every fight like it was a boss fight. The enemies in this game will beat you down if you give them the chance.
- Switching paradigms will sometimes give you a free ATB bar, so you can switch between two identical paradigms every few rounds and get a free round here and there.

I must say, interesting choice for a first FF game, though I guess that's one way to reduce the chance of being disappointed by it.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

once you can alter Paradigms yourself (somewhere around the 10-15 hour mark :cripes:)

It doesn't take that long to get to chapter 3. You're probably thinking of when you can form whatever party you want or when anyone can take on any role.

That said, you're right. When the members of the party change your paradigm set up is reset. So be aware of that.

This brings up something else. If the story shuffles your party and then thrusts you right into a battle, you can manually hit retry, then when the battle is supposed to begin again the menu will come up and you can set your paradigms up.

E: ^there is no DLC for 13. Only the sequels have any.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Anything for the Devil May Cry HD Collection? Besides DMC2 being horrible apparently. The only similar game I've played is the new DmC.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

owl_pellet posted:

Just started Saints Row IV, and the wiki says not to buy the Tornado sprint upgrade because it makes gameplay annoying. How bad is it actually, and are there any other upgrades like this that are bad in some way and can't be turned off once you buy them? Anything else that isn't on the wiki that is good to know?

It makes it annoying to jack cars from sprinting. That's really about it. On the other hand Tornado lets you cheese nearly all the on foot mayhem missions so there's that.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Persona 4

Neddy Seagoon posted:

• Play on Easy Mode. The game will still throw a challenge your way, but it'll mean you won't have to constantly grind to keep up and free some days for S.Links.
  • Use rainy days to study, preferably with a friend. You'll get double points for it and quite a few points in that person's S.Link.
  • You might feel rushed with having to go in to rescue someone, but you have a good month or so before there's a long stretch of rain that will bring fog.

All Easy mode really does is give you a crutch (10 free auto revives). You should really only play it if you've never played an RPG before in your life. The beginning of the game can be challenging but I'd still say Persona 4 is a really easy game overall.

Rainy Days can also be spent at the Chinese Restaurant for boosts to several different social stats, so keep that in mind.

Worth noting is that while you generally shouldn't rush to rescue someone (as that's likely to get you killed), you also shouldn't put it off. The S Links for your party members are the most influential on your battle ability since they're more than just EXP bonuses on fusion, but you tend to get locked out of those links when there's a rescue to do. Not every time but it does happen often.

On that note, the December dungeon should be put off until 12/23 at least, as completing that one railroads you into the endgame.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

I just bought Xenogears on PSN. Anything I should know in advance when it comes to moving ahead in the game?

Keep your gear equipment up to date. Brace yourself for LOTS text.

Also there's one boss in the second disc that has a move that will cause the game to hang for whatever reason, thankfully there's a chance to save right before it but be ready to reboot the game several times at that boss.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Most offensive "spells" are useless. Elly's tend to be stronger than her physical attacks though.

Emerelda says hi. Her offensive spells are among the strongest attacks in the game.

Speaking of spells, Bart's Wild Smile seems useless but it will stack with itself and it's as I recall unresistable so you can get some nice results by casting it a few times.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

At a certain point the game will tell you that this is the final push and you might want to save before going on. At this point you have all the upgrades, so do it then.

Considering there isn't a movement upgrade in that area, don't even really bother waiting that long. Do the backtracking after chapter 4.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Anything for Devil May Cry 4? I just picked it up and am having trouble adjusting to Nero's playstyle coming off 3.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

I'm finally caving to peer pressure. Anyone got tips for Fallout 2 or Phantasy Star 4 that might be helpful?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

TerryLennox posted:

SpellsTechs are very confusing so here is a small guide to know which does what.

On spells, the prefixes Gi and Na are like the ra and ga suffixes from Final Fantasy.

Foi (Fire) > GiFoi (Fira) > NaFoi (Firaga)

Wat (Water)

Gra (Gravity)

Thu (Thunder)

Zan (Wind)

Res (Cure)

Sar (Cures all party members for less HPs than Res)

Deban - raises defenses

Saner - Increases evasion

Do not level past level 80 in this game. There is a nasty overflow bug that hits characters in the 90 levels where they actually start losing stats and tech points as the level. Some characters like Rika gain exp in an accelerated rate and can thus hit 80s before the rest of the cast.

Okay yeah spell names were something I was really struggling with right off the bat. Guess they expect you to have a manual for all that but the Steam version doesn't come with one! :argh:

Regarding the overflow thing. Is that likely to happen in a normal playthrough or is that something that only excessive grinders have to worry about?

Yip Yips posted:

I really don't understand why it gets so much attention. Sure it's boring but it's like 4 rooms and if you've played Fallout 1 and know the system it's a total cakewalk that will take you 10 minutes (maybe 20 if you hadn't), or 2 on subsequent runs. I have poo poo for patience with video games yet I can't imagine quitting the game over it.

Might have something to do with only being given a single weapon that you probably haven't tagged the skill for and thus your best chance to hit is going to be like 30 something which honestly in most games that wouldn't became action worth taking in the slightest. It really feels like you have to know how to exploit the enemies in order to stand a chance in there even with the difficulty turned down. I'd call that bad design.

Head Hit Keyboard fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 18, 2014

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Since EA's offering the whole shebang for free until the end of the month, any nuggets of wisdom pertaining to The Sims 2 and its various expansions?

It's been a long time since I've touched TS2 and I never had the latter 3 expansions, but two things that I remember.

1. Dates are Aspiration Point machines.

This is because it rerolls your wants into things that ultimately evolve to "bone your date over and over"

2. Home busniesses with Ticket Machines, even if nothing else, print money.

Seriously I was running a gym out of my house that could make hundreds of thousands of Sim cash per day. It was NUTS.

But honestly, it's the sims. Play it however you like. It's almost impossible to fail unless you try to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

How about something for Borderlands 2? I started as the mechromancer character and I have very little idea what I am doing with my skill points.