Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Don't feel like combing the entire thread? CLICK HERE FOR WIKI!!

I did this thread a while back, and I thought it was so useful I decided to try again.

Basically, the idea is that we give advice to people who haven't played a game that they'd need to make the game easier, or in some cases, winnable. Just remember, spoilers probably won't be too useful to these players.

Some of these I haven't played in a while, so I'm rusty on the details, but that's where you come in. So let's begin!

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
· The game is meant to be SOL: Restarted over and over so that you're more powerful. You're not supposed to clear it in one playthrough, so don't bother trying.
· Use as little of your Party XP as you possibly can while playing through. If you need 2-3 XP to bump a character up a level, that's fine, but in general, you don't want to use much of it. The idea is that Party XP carries over when you restart, while regular levels don't. When you SOL: Restart, you can apply all that Party XP and make yourself really powerful at the beginning of the game.
· Don't touch your Dragon Powers unless you're 100% sure you're going to restart. If the D-Counter gets too high the game is unwinnable, so leave that poo poo alone unless you're planning another run-through.

Odin Sphere
· In this game, you don't gain levels by fighting, but by eating, so make sure you're always planting seeds. At the end of every battle, suck in some Phozons to get your Phozon level up, but make sure you get lots of food too.
· Almost every boss in this game is a major difficulty spike. Don't be afraid to go back to the beginning of a stage if you feel in over your head. You won't lose any items or any advancements whatsoever, so this is a great way to make sure you're prepared.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin
· Spreading rumors is the bread and butter of advancement in this game. It's how you get weapon upgrades and how you unlock all the game's secrets. So make sure you spend a lot of time talking to the Rumormongers and spreading rumors in the Kuzunoha Agency.
· After the rooftop fight in Kasugayama High, the story only advances after you talk to everybody (all those green specks) on the overworld map, then go to the Kuzunoha Agency.
· In the basement dungeon, there are really just two rooms. You advance the story by going back and forth between them.

Persona 3
· Never ever ignore Elizabeth's requests, no matter how annoying they may be. They're how you get the really powerful Personae, even if they're not a direct result of each quest.
· Get your Academics, Charm, and Courage up as fast as you can. You need them to get every Social Link. The good news is that they carry over on replays, so after the first time you never need to do it again!
· Never go more than two in-game months without doing something with all your contacts. Any longer and they'll go into Reverse, which is a time-consuming pain in the rear end to fix.
· Once you make plans with a friend over the phone, never ever cancel on him/her. That's the quickest way to go into reverse.
· When the choice comes up, don't hug Yukari.

Radiata Stories
· For your first playthrough, you should recruit either all humans or all non-humans. There's a plot twist halfway through that robs you of half your Friends List. Don't worry; you'll be explicitly told what's going on at the time.
· The non-human path has the happier ending, if that makes a difference.

Suikoden I
· Keep Pahn leveled up with your party and in your party as often as possible. There's a fight you get in where only he participates, and if he's underleveled you're hosed.

I know I have more of these, but they're just not coming to me. Any other takers?

EDIT: My bad, it's Pahn.

MUCH LATER EDIT: apekillape's Wiki appears not to exist now. Sorry!
EVEN LATER EDIT: What was aborted is now reborted! Centipeed's Wiki.
EVEN LATER AFTER THAT EDIT: Current (as far as I know) wiki link to Before I Play. Sorry I didn't catch this sooner, Centipeed!

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Mint Mania IIDX posted:

I know this applies to her S. Link, but it's fine on the beach, yes?
I don't think it matters either way there. From what I've looked up, that doesn't affect anything. It shouldn't affect her Social Link, that I'm sure of.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Don't forget, this is probably as good a place as any to make requests if you don't feel like you're playing a game "right."

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I could use advice on Ultima 7 and Final Fantasy Tactics. :shobon:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Final Fantasy IV DS
· The New Game+ in this game isn't the traditional New Game+. Your levels and experience and money don't carry over. Your Augments do. You only get three passes through the game.
· Yes it does matter whom you give your Augments to. You can't get all the Augments until your third playthrough, and even then you have to be strategic about who gets each Augment. It's a good idea to use a guide for this.
· As with the original, you don't get to choose your party lineup in the endgame. However, you do in the GBA version. The GBA version also has extra dungeons. The DS version, however, is more challenging, has graphics that are easier to look at over a long period of time, has maps and auto-battling, and has more varied strategic gameplay. Both versions, in that sense, are double-edged swords.
· Unlike numerous other RPGs (including earlier versions of this one), spamming one attack over and over won't win the game. Make sure you understand your characters and their capabilities before you go up against a boss.

Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
· If you accomplish too many Missions when you get them, the story becomes extremely easy. Take that for what it's worth.

Xenogears
· You get more Deathblows not by using the ones you have, but by trying different button combinations. If you only attack with Deathblows, you won't learn any new ones.
· The story makes much more sense the second time.

Japanese games ahoy!

Live a Live
· The battles are supposed to be easy. This game is more about story than fighting.
· In Masaru's chapter, each fighter has two skills. To get Masaru as powerful as possible, your objective is to goad each fighter into hitting him at least once with each skill, then kicking their asses. For the most part, just fight normally. Since you'll probably be using an emulator, don't be afraid to save-whore if the fight comes and goes and you don't get two skills.

Marvelous: Another Treasure Island
· In order to use an item or officially "know" a piece of information, you have to have it explained to you, so check everything you see and when in doubt, talk to everyone in sight.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Uab posted:

Ultima 7
Assuming you're talking about the Black Gate, because that one can be tough to get a handle on at first.
I meant Serpent Isle too, but that'll do me! I'm not used to Western RPGs like I am with Japanese ones, and the transition is a hard one. I was planning to finish the Black Gate first anyway for obvious reasons.

Unlimited Saga
· It's supposed to be hard. It was designed to be one of the most difficult RPGs ever made.
· No, you don't get to keep your skills if you get an upgrade. That's one of the game's many "suck it up" points.
· As you can see, you have two gauges, HP (Hit Points) and LP (Life Points). HP is easily lost and regained. LP can't be recovered until after a mission is over. If you lose HP, no big deal. If you lose all your LP, your character dies for the duration of the mission. HP loss is in white and LP loss is in red. The more HP you lose, the more likely you are to lose LP. If your HP hits zero, you can count on losing LP if you get hit.
· You can get HP back by pressing R3 on the overworld. Even in a battle, having a character sit a turn or two out will give them HP.
· Every loving item in this game breaks if you overuse it. Even if you use magic, it probably comes from an armlet, which will break if you overuse it. Weapons and armor will also break if you overuse them. To restore a weapon, all you really have to do is find just about any raw material and fuse it on. Visit a blacksmith each time you roll into town; your weapons have a way of snapping when you don't want them to.
· The game doesn't care if you're at the right level to be fighting an enemy or not, and it's often hard to tell anyway because HP isn't directly meaningful in the game. This is a multiple-concurrent-save-files kind of game.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

More Persona 2 tips now that I'm getting buttraped:

· Since Maya and Lisa will probably be your two big offensive mages, and coincidentally also your two big healers, they're going to need to switch back and forth frequently. It's better to set the turn mode to Single for bosses and Normal/Auto for regular enemies.
· Keep your starting Personae in your immediate queue, even in the endgame. Lower-level Personae have lower SP usage. During those trademark Shin Megami Tensei battles of attrition, every last SP can count, and if all your Personae have only high-level spells your rear end is rape. (EDIT: Also, the starting Personae are probably going to have MAX rank by this point anyway, which means you'll have a big selection with them.)
· For the same reason, the worst thing you can do when creating a mid-level Persona is assign lower-level spells of an element it has. For instance, you don't want to give Agi to a creature who has Maragilao or Agidyne. The low-level spell will use the same amount of SP as your higher-level spells, so you're basically wasting SP.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 1, 2008

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So I'm thinking about playing Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, but I can tell just by playing a few battles that the plot has multiple branches. Anything I should know about where the plot branches or how I can prepare for it? I know about grinding by having your party fight itself, but beyond that, I've only ever just guessed.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Time to commemorate the Innocent Sin fan translation with more tips!

· Whenever you get rumors about stores, the best one to spread is that they have a wide selection and low resale value. If you can't get that rumor, then spread the expensive, but good merchandise rumor. It does what it says. You'll have to do some wallet-grinding occasionally, but more often than not after selling your poo poo and some items you'll be able to cover your expenses with minimum grind.
· Always keep your current batch of Personae whenever you get a new batch. An old Persona of high rank is a lot more immediately useful than a new Persona of low rank.
· Walking around regenerates SP, but because the encounter rate is so high and the regeneration rate is so low you're better off stocking up on Chewing Souls and later Wondrous Eggs.
· When you get to the fifth floor of Xibalba, (This is really close to the end of the game.) you can do the Legendary Weapons quest. It's time consuming, but easier than it sounds.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I was going to try to put something together for Mother 3, but I can't think of much one would need to know that isn't already apparent from playing the game, especially since the vast majority of its new players have played EarthBound. There are really only a few things I can think of...

· The scroll-down speed for character HP is slower than that of EarthBound, which allows a lot more balls-to-the-wall attacks, even when you know a character's mortally wounded.
· You don't have to hoard healing items in this game, as its NPCs will remind you. If you just use them as you go, you should be more than fine.
· There's no penalty for dying and respawning for the first four chapters, but there is in Chapter 5 on. It's the same penalty as in Breath of Fire I, but in this game you can counteract that by putting all your money in the bank, where it will be unaffected by a Game Over.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

More tips on Unlimited Saga since I've been really getting into the game lately...

· First off, the reason this game isn't popular is because in order to play it "right," you're going to have to learn the battle mechanics. After you play it for the very first time, give the manual a bit of a once-over. Most of the mechanics are simpler than they look; you just have to know what it is they're trying to tell you first. (Also, this guide can be a big help too.)
Especially make sure you understand the GUI. The menus are extremely inefficient (and the only part I still dislike about the game even now), but once you get the hang of it all it's a bit easier.
· As with Chrono Cross, you get your advancements after completing each area. Unlike Chrono Cross, you don't get piddly stat increases after each battle. This means that there's virtually no point in grinding, so don't bother.
· Your hexagonal Growth Panel is the mechanism for advancement in this game. Actually understanding the advancement is a bit of a tall order, so just understand this... After each mission, you'll get a new Growth Panel insert. Make sure to watch what you're inserting, what you're replacing, and how the stats change as a result. Even if you go on a lot of missions, there's still a lot of time between each advancement, so every little choice you make in their advancement counts.
· As with other SaGa games, your items break after a certain number of uses, and you have to go to a blacksmith in town between missions to repair them, so don't go nuts with them right off the bat. In fact, getting some punch/kick/throw skills on your characters can save you a lot of heartache for this reason.
· The following skills will get you out of more jams than you can count, so get them as soon as you can. Each of these is only necessary to put on one character. Remember, you equip them by placing them on the hexagonal Growth Panel after each mission.
Defuse: Allows you to defuse traps, both on the map and in treasure chests. Almost every treasure chest is trapped, so you're going to need this and need it soon.
Locksmith: Allows you to unlock doors and chests. A drat large number of chests are locked as well, so look into it. This won't do dick about magic locks, but those are so rare it won't matter.
Quick-Fix: Repairs items on the field, so you can keep using them and stop worrying about "using them up."
Eavesdrop: Gives you an approximate idea of where monsters are on the map relative to you. Not technically necessary as such, just because the monsters move just like you do, but if you're in a bad way and just trying to find your way back to the entrance this can save your rear end.
Diplomacy: Talks stock enemies out of attacking you. Very useful on missions where you're "on the ropes." As with Quick-Fix, though, it's slot-based probability, so don't expect it to cure all of your problems.
Swimming: Let's just say you'll be glad you have it when you need it.
Monger: Haggles with shops. It's not of life-shattering importance because you'll end up having enough money to cover expenses in the late game anyway, but it has a 100% success rate and any money saved can come in handy later.
· The best starting scenario, as the game recommends, is Laura's. You'll get a lot of those skills I mentioned with her very soon, and since Laura herself is strong and powerful with magic, you have a lot of breathing room.
· Get Magic Tablets on every mage character you have; they need them and need them bad. That's the only way mages learn new spells, and even then they have to have equipment with "[element] Arts" on it. Never, ever overwrite a Magic Tablet on the Growth Panel until you've mastered it.
· The slots only come up in situations that would have a probability in other RPGs anyway. It's just glorified D&D dice rolling; the only difference is that it shows you that it's doing it and you get to time the button press to increase the probability.

But most importantly, be patient with the game and take time to learn its mechanics. If you can see past the extremely counter-intuitive menus the rest of the game can get very fun and rewarding.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

All right we doin this!!

Persona 4
· The most "efficient" Social Links to get are those of your party members and Hermit. Your party members gain new in-battle abilities as you improve their social links. You'll know why Hermit's so important when you get to it.
· November 2nd is the last day you can rank up Hierophant, and November 3rd the last day for Justice.
If you'd like a full list, here's one, but those two are the only dates that will really blindside you...
Fool: n/a
Magician: 21 Dec
Priestess: 20 Dec
Empress: Available to the end.
Emperor: 22 Dec
Hierophant: 2 Nov
Lovers: 18 Dec
Chariot: 19 Dec
Justice: 3 Nov
Hermit: 24 Dec
Fortune: 21 Dec
Strength: 22 Dec
Hanged Man: 22 Dec
Death: 23 Dec
Temperance: 23 Dec
Devil: 23 Dec
Tower: 22 Dec
Star: n/a
Moon: 22 Dec
Sun: 22 Dec
Judgement: n/a
· Remember that unlike other RPGs, buffs and debuffs actually work. You really shouldn't overwrite them if you can avoid it. I did overwrite them on all my party members and I found that I had to grind like a horny rabbit to beat all the bosses.
· Guarding makes it so getting hit with a weakness won't knock you on your rear end. Also guard if you see the enemy use Mind Charge or Power Charge.
· I don't think there's any need to use a guide until December. Once December 3rd rolls around, consider getting a guide to get the best ending.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

While I was playing through Brave Fencer Musashi for my other thread I prepared some notes for this one...

· The game is pretty much almost entirely jumping puzzles.
· Press START to see a hint as to how to advance the story.
· When in doubt, absorb a nearby enemy's ability. That solves almost any problem that can't be solved by Muashi's basic skills.
· Once you activate that Wind Crest in Chapter 6, you can't go back for the rest of the game.

To advance the story...
· Once you get the rocksalt, go to the huge slug-rock in Somnolent forest.
· In the Frozen Palace, there's a big, burly enemy called a SlowGuy. Let him grab you and throw you; this will advance you further.
· After your second trip through Steamwood, go to the Grillin' Reservoir and look for a Fire Crest.
· After you get the Wind Scroll, go up to the Gondola Station.

EDIT: Next up is Betrayal at Krondor. I took a peek at it for about 10 minutes and I like what I've played. Little help here?

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 26, 2009

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Son Ryo posted:

You're kidding, right? People quit the game because of that? I actually thought it was kinda cool.
My problem with Final Fantasy VIII is that the entire game's events feel disjoint, and the characters all seem really disaffected. I didn't get the feeling anybody cared about anything, and consequently I never felt like I, the player, had to care about any of the events.

Really, my problem with the plot twist is an extension of that. While I actually thought it was an interesting idea and that it made the characters more interesting, it irritated me that the twist didn't have any ramifications to the story. We hardly saw any scenes of the characters as kids, which you'd think would be important. Finding this out also didn't bring any of them any closer together, even though you'd think it would at that point. Also, none of the characters showed any signs whatsoever of realizing beforehand that they had no memory of their childhoods, which seemed really weird to me.

But then, my memory of that game's not perfect, since I haven't made any real inroads into it in about 8-9 years. But honestly, a barely-of-age Squall getting named headmaster of Balamb Garden and the game leaving out a lot of story details to keep the Squall-Laguna connection as nebulous as possible both bothered me much more.

EDIT: I feel guilty about not contributing to my own thread, so some tips for Luminous Arc 1, which I'm playing right now...

Luminous Arc 1
· When in doubt, buff.
· Spread out. There are a lot of area attacks in the game, and you don't want to get nailed.
· Save at the beginning of a battle, or if you're doing well and haven't lost anyone yet. It's much easier than going through a bunch of cutscenes again, and the saves aren't self-deleting like quicksaves.
· As far in as I've played, weaknesses don't make a huge difference in the game, so don't let the convoluted element correspondence chart get you down.
· Generally, you'll want to select characters for battle from physically weakest to strongest, as they usually form a back-to-front formation. (I say this because I'm pretty sure it's the opposite of what the game said.) There are exceptions to this, but you'll see when you get there.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 6, 2009

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Any tips for Live-A-Live?
Oh yeah...

· You get all health back at the end of every single battle, so go balls to the wall in every battle.
· You pay for powerful attacks in wait time, not MP or anything, so don't think the most powerful attack is always the best. This is even more true than you think because you can't actually see the ATB progress onscreen.
· In Masaru's chapter, make sure you get both special attacks from all six fighters. It's really hard to get them all and stay alive, but worth it.
· In Cube's chapter, stay away from the loving behemoth. There's not even an unfair battle. Touching it is a death sentence.
· In Sundown's chapter, the fastest trap setters are the sheriff and Annie. The slowest is Billy.
· For your first playthrough, Sundown is the best character to pick for the Final Chapter, just because he's a pain in the rear end if you don't pick him.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

NonContradiction posted:

Anyone got some tips for Illusion of Gaia? I'm at Mu at the moment, just want to make sure there isn't a critical amount of red gems that I need or some other such.
Ah, yes, one of my favorite games of all time!

Here's the main thing. After you unlock the boss chamber (you'll know), it is possible to get Freedan for use against the bosses. You backtrack along the second level. His Dark Space is right after a row of six retracting spikes.

I've always thought Mu was the most annoying area of the game. Its bosses are the most annoying of the game because they require that paying-attention-to-multiple projectiles skill you can only truly gain from vertical shoot-em-ups. But on the good side, it only has one Red Jewel and it's easy to find. Also, the rest of the game is pretty much clear sailing. There's a secret passage you have to find to advance in the Angel Village, but nothing too hard after that. I personally didn't think any of the following bosses were all that difficult.

If you really want a list of Red Jewels, I wrote a piece about that when I was a teenager. (I actually thought I deleted it, but there you go!) Here are some pages from Nintendo Power detailing the process from their point of view.

Click here for the full 575x806 image.

Click here for the full 577x807 image.

Click here for the full 577x807 image.

Click here for the full 605x817 image.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So I'm aware that this is a stupid question even as I ask it, but anyway... Does anyone know if Street Fighter IV uses the HD Remix controls (or if the home ports will have the option to)? I'm guessing not, just because the former was developed in Japan and the latter in America, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm getting spoiled by Dhalsim's and Zangief's new easier handling.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I just beat Castlevania: Symphony of the Night last night. It took a while to see why but once you get into it it really lives up to its hype. I've been trying to think of some general tips, but I've been drawing a blank. Here's what I have...

· The game is pretty good about this for the most part. I'd say you can explore about 95% of the game (the game itself, NOT the percent gauge on the save file) without a guide. If you want to get every room, though, you're going to need outside assistance.
You'll probably also need a guide to get the best ending. There are four endings total.
· If you've never played a Metroidvania game before, remember that the point is exploration. Make liberal use of the map as a reference and just explore. It will be patently obvious where the final boss is located when you get there, so don't worry about being blindsided by that.
· If you don't save often, this game will frustrate you one too many times and you'll end up putting it down.

Wow, that sounds like an instruction manual's general hints. Can anyone think of anything else?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Just because I'm playing it right now, and in case anyone feels like going old school...

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
· The most garlic you can have is 4, which is also your starting laurel max. You'll only ever need 2 garlic for the entire game.
· If you buy more than one stake/knife/what have you, they won't count. Buying more than one of these types of items, then, is a waste of time.
· Don't bother playing this game without a guide. The puzzles and townspeople really are as confusing as everybody says. I use DKW's Gamefaqs guide and this...

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 27, 2009

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Coffee Jones posted:

So, what's the best of the Breath of Fire series?
I didn't care for II too much, but people I know who were raised with it love it. The characters are interesting, but they drop like flies in the endgame. Plus, the best ending may be impossible to get playing blind.

I personally like III the best as well. Its battle system has the most to it and the game is the most rewarding.

IV is rather interesting as well, though. The dungeons are shorter, but they all contain mini-games. Plus I think the characterization is about the same (which is very good). The battle system's not the best though and the series' centerpiece—Ryu's dragon transformations—are very hamstrung in this game.

Dragon Quarter is very weird, but fun. The game's very difficult, but for me what made it hard to play for long periods of time was the uniform bleakness of the entire game. Check the first few pages (including my starting post) for more advice on this game.

My recommendation is to play the last three.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So I finally got the ability to play Panzer Dragoon Saga. Little help here? I know about the plot twist where the main character turns out to be dead, and the opening cutscenes really remind me of Ico and Out of This World, but I don't know anything else about the game.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Unfortunately, after I asked, all this talk of Panzer Dragoon Saga is now a moot point; I don't have a Saturn here and I can't get Discs 2 or 3 to work on SSF. :cry: I don't suppose any of you know which versions of SSF work or what I can do about this... :shobon:

I decided to play Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PSP) instead, since I just bought the DS game and I want to "build up" to it. The more I think about it, though, this is all I have...

Valkyrie Profile
· The Medium difficulty has content Hard doesn't, and Hard has lots of content Medium doesn't, so...
◊ First Playthrough: Play it blind (no outside help) on Medium.
◊ Second Playthrough: Follow a guide (I recommend this endings guide and this walkthrough) on Hard.

I really think I'd have missed out on a lot of fun if I didn't follow this formula myself. You won't get the best ending on the first playthrough, but still.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

When I played it on SSF, I got it to work with the 0.07 Beta. However I just tried the latest (0.10 alpha) and it seems to work just fine on disc 2. For the record I am not using a cd image, though I can't imagine that making a difference. Unless it crashes somewhere beyond the title screen, which I can't check at the moment as my save is on disc 4.
HAHA! I don't know how, but I got Disc 2 working!

Click here for the full 704x448 image.

I've been trying to play this game blind. The only thing I wish I'd known going in was that you have to talk to some people multiple times to activate side quests or advance the story. I had a lot of trouble getting anywhere in Zoah until I did that.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Well, I say that because Medium has dungeons that Hard doesn't. Also, although I didn't finish my first run-through, I really enjoyed playing blind just because the structure of the game lends itself so well to it (e.g. watching characters' backstories, making decisions on who to transfer).

On difficult, if you don't want to blow through your Exp. Orb you're going to spend a lot of time grinding. Plus, there are more puzzle-oriented dungeons (like the Clockwork Mansion) and a lot more jumping puzzles (like the Dark Tower of Xervah and the Citadel of Flames). Also, Lezard's Tower is a time-sink in and of itself. I liked playing through Medium because it lets you get the game down before you get into this heavy stuff.

You are right, though; if you only intend to play through the game once, on Hard with a guide is the way to do it.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Tical00 posted:

Anyone got any good ones for Eternal Sonata?
My memory is hazy on this, just because it's been a long time since I played.

· Don't forget to equip newer skills as they become available. The sub-screen isn't entirely intuitive, so this is easy to forget.
· There's only one character you get in the game who isn't in your endgame party. It's possible to get this character back in a dungeon at the end.
· The battle system gets tighter as you go, so try to get in the habit of making decisions faster than you have to. Each Party Level requires you to play the game faster, so bear that in mind.
· More healing spells are always better. There are times when certain characters will be better healers than others. (At one point, Polka is the best healer in the game, then Frederic, then Viola, and then Polka again, with lots of variation in between.) I would highly recommend against ever going into battle without at least one healer and preferably two.
· Near the end, the bosses are huge difficulty spikes. You will end up grinding like a motherfucker in the endgame.
· The story gradually takes a David Lynch approach to sense making and the ending makes almost no sense at all. Although I try not to get into that stupid Japan/Japanophile stereotyping, there's quite a bit of existential anime angst in the later game.
· The game's New Game+ option cranks the enemy levels way up, so if you're going to do any sidequests or anything optional, do it on your first playthrough.

It's a fun game, though, (I personally have an extremely high opinion of the battle system) and the graphics stay gorgeous throughout, so have fun!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I just got Unlimited Saga for free from a friend, who said it's hard as hell and pretty drat boring. Is this game even worth playing?
Well, out of everybody here, the only people who've ever said anything positive about the game are signalnoise and myself. It's a drat hard game to like (the hardest of any game I've played in my life) and you have to spend some time getting familiar with the mechanics. If you want some advice, I posted some further back in this thread.

Basically, in short, if you don't have the patience of a loving saint or an extremely open mind, this game isn't for you. If you want to try something new and difficult, and you're willing to put a good amount of time into learning how the game works, then it's worth a try. I personally like the game because the graphics are really good and some of the game's experimental concepts (e.g. dual life gauges with different purposes, highly abbreviated overworld exploration) are onto something. The game was designed to be hard even if you do understand how to play it, though, and nobody does when they first start it.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I just bought Culdcept Saga. Should I be concerned with hunting down the other games in the series? Is this one of those series like Xenosaga where I'm hosed on the story if I don't play all the games?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Just so other people don't have to go through all the Google-Fu it took me to get to the bottom of this...

If you buy Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines on Steam, when you fire it up, you may get a black screen with audio only, only to find that it's "Not Responding" in the Task Manager. In this case, the only way you can get video to display is by downloading the Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP). The K-Lite Codec Pack doesn't work for whatever reason. I've heard there are some Save/Load issues too, but I haven't gotten far enough in to know for sure yet.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So I just got the Dynasty Warriors games for PSP. I heard that pursuing Lu Bu is a good idea ( :v: ), but I was wondering... How story-independent are the individual games? I know they're based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms—and I've read part of the book and I translated part of Sangokushi Koumeiden, so I'm familiar with it to a degree—but are they all based on the entire novel, or is it piecemeal, or what?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Some advice nobody asked for because I've been playing this game for a long-rear end time and I'm glad it's finally over.

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
· Press X to select all.
· Talk to everybody in the Sky Saloon between missions when you get it.
· Get at least one of every weapon forged as they come up. You'll only be able to make one Everburn weapon for most of the game, but other than that it should be possible.
· This game drags. I personally thought it was an all right game, but the missions are slow and the story is slower. I think The Young & the Restless goes faster than this game.
· The game's very last battle is a gigantic difficulty spike. On top of that, the difficulty of the final battle is proportionate to your completion rate up to that point. This means that if you completed almost all the side missions before the end, while you'll be very powerful, you'll have to do a shitload of grinding not to get curb-stomped.
Do all the missions you can (probably all but one or two), then grind your loving rear end off at Midlight's Deep.
· If you do every single last side mission before the final battle, the enemies will be at Level 99. And it's not quick or easy to get your characters ground up to that point either.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So I was thinking of playing some of my new DS RPGs: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, Knights in the Nightmare, Devil Survivor, and/or Rondo of Swords. Any advice for any of these? I can actually get past the opening battle in Rondo of Swords, if that helps. :v:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So I'm trying to get more into old PC games. I just bought Jagged Alliance 1 and I "bought" Beneath a Steel Sky off GOG.com. I've never played a PC tactical RPG in my life (although I've played plenty of them on consoles) and I've never been good at the point-and-clickers. Anything I should know?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Captain Novolin posted:

Just picked up FFVII and Metal Gear Solid for my PSP, is there anything I should know for these two?
Holy poo poo, I forgot that these were both available!

Metal Gear Solid
· Get good at switching back and forth rapidly between first-person and third-person. You'll need it for the first boss battle.
· You'll get tortured at some point in the story. The game has two endings, and whether you give in or not affects the ending. The canonical ending is the one where Snake doesn't give in, if that helps.
· Cigarettes are useful for detecting invisible lasers.

For Final Fantasy VII, honestly, I really like the game and I think it's great, but I wouldn't play through it again without a walkthrough. I got a lot of mileage out of the official guide, so I'd pick that up if I were you. It's one of the best guides I've ever seen in terms of giving advice without spoiling. It's the exact opposite of Final Fanatsy IX's guide in quality.

EDIT: Found this on Final Fantasy VII from much earlier in the thread.

Bloodly posted:

Only one springs to mind:

The first time you enter the Crater, make damm sure you have Confuse(By item or spell) and Enemy Skill Materia readied. One of the enemies there has White Wind(Cures HP and status effects for the whole team), but Manipulate won't have it as an option. You've got to confuse it-it'll cast it to try to clear it, but it'll hit you instead.

You won't ever go back to that version of the Crater, so do it then.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 31, 2009

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Some unsolicited advice, just because I just beat it so I'm knowledgeable about it for the next 8 hours or so.

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
· X's capsules have been moved around for this version, although the stages that had capsules before should still contain them.
· You know those blocks that you can headbutt with the head upgrade? You can also destroy them by wall-sliding on them and then jumping off.
· Vile's game starts much harder than it ends. Once you beat a boss or two the game gets easier. If you know which weapons to equip, the entire endgame is pretty easy.
· The Sub-Tank in Storm Eagle's stage and the heart in Armored Armadillo's stage are such gigantic pains in the rear end that you should consider skipping them. You can beat the 8 Robot Masters with no hearts or Sub-Tanks (in fact, I did), and for the final three stages missing a heart or a Sub-Tank won't hurt you that bad.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 7, 2009

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Corridor posted:

Okay so no one has anything to say about preparing me for Kingdom Hearts, fair enough, I played for a bit and it's a pretty broken-feeling game. So what about Kingdom Hearts 2? I some of it a while ago and can't remember much, seemed much more animu but also smoother controls. Any thoughts?
This won't help you much gameplay wise, but you should probably know that the story makes absolutely no sense whatsoever if you're not refreshed on the first game and Chain of Memories. Also, the first three hours are only tangentially related to the rest of the game, and in terms of gameplay they have almost nothing in common. If you can suffer through the first part (and you'll know when it's over), the rest of the game is fun to play.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

apekillape posted:

Arright, one vote is enough to keep going, haha. I'll get the other 40 pages from the thread loaded in over the course of the week.
I'd actually been considering doing this for a long time, more in old jumptheshark.com form than in wiki form, though. Since I've been to so many gaming/emulation forums I have trust issues with gamers and wikis. :v: If you'd like, as the OP I could write a short spiel on what the intent of this whole thing was.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Kid Moe posted:

Anything i should know before i start Contact for DS? It seems like its going to be one of those games where its easy to miss stuff.
Go in with an open mind. There's a lot wrong with that game, but there's some good stuff too.

I'd recommend using a guide to get the suits. They're what makes the gameplay interesting, and some of them are kind of in odd or out-of-the-way places.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Twitch posted:

I'm getting Metroid Prime Trilogy tomorrow. Is there anything that I really need to know before playing that series (I play on playing them in order), or is it better to just jump in cold?
If you plan on doing a 100% items run, write down the names of the rooms where you get each missile/energy upgrade. You won't get them all yourself (foregone conclusion), and backtracking and having to remember which you picked up (or worse, which you may have picked up but then died and never saved) is a giant pain in the rear end. It took me like two hours of backtracking when I decided to do a 100% items run because of this.

EDIT: It also helps if you grab the FAQ from Gamefaqs that has a checklist.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Capsaicin posted:

So, I couldn't really think of what other thread to ask this in, but I might as well here. What should I know before playing games on this system for the first time (in forever)?

I'm getting back into Playstation 1 gaming for the first time in 7ish years. I've played a lot of the classics (SotN, Final Fantasy VII-IX, FFT, etc.) but what are some of the overlooked gems and what should I know about them? I've got Tales of Destiny, Suikoden 1 and 2, Tomba, and Alundra. What other games (preferably RPG, Adventure, or Platformer) should I be looking for?
Brave Fencer Musashi has enough jumping puzzles to choke a donkey, but the play control is so good that even though I didn't like the level design all that much, I still couldn't help but to keep playing it.

I think Valkyrie Profile is very possibly the best non-tactical RPG I've ever played. The graphics are absolutely jaw-dropping, the music's incredible, the voice acting's not bad for its time, and the battle system is one of the very best. I think every RPG should abide by the rule that fewer button-presses per action is better.

Don't forget to get both parts of Persona 2, including the fan-translation of Innocent Sin. Kazuma Kaneko is an awesome, awesome artist, and an RPG set in the present day is an extremely refreshing change.

If you want something a little more obscure, I've heard good things about Eternal Eyes and Kartia: The World of Fate, although I've only played a little of either. If you liked Quintet's games (ActRaiser series, SoulBlazer series), you may like The Granstream Saga. The gameplay's fun but the graphics have aged absolutely horribly, so much so that it's actually hard to follow the game because they are so incongruous with modern graphics.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Salt Block Party posted:

Anything for Persona 2? Innocent Sin if it matters, but I think both it and Eternal Punishment share similar mechanics. I'm mostly worried about how to go about using personas, random battles, and the monster interrogation thing.
The main thing about Personas is this: for each Persona, all its spells cost the same amount of MP, regardless of how powerful it is. Because so many battles in the game are battles of attrition, and because like all SMT games hitting a weakness is more important than having a powerful attack, you want to save your initial Personas all the way through the game. For me, they even came in handy against the final boss of Innocent Sin.

Also, for the same reason, when you're creating a Persona, never, ever waste a slot on a lower-level attack than it has. You'll just end up spending extra MP for no reward whatsoever.

As for interrogation, I only ever used it when I was on the ropes or if I didn't feel like hassling with a certain enemy. The best thing to do is either memorize or write down whatever causes an Interest reaction. You'll pick up most of that as you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Muramasa The Demon Blade
From what I've played, this game is pretty self-explanatory. I can only think of a few things...

· When you beat the game with both characters, you get to fight the other character's bosses. It's important that you do this if you want to get the second and third endings for each character.
· Also, try to get in the habit of using all the attacks they teach you in the tutorial. Different attacks are useful against different enemies.
· Momohime's scenario's much easier, if you feel like learning slowly.