Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«345 »
KARMA!
Jan 22, 2006

I NEED THAT GOD DAMN TWIG!!

640K ought to be enough for anybody.

Meanwhile I'm eyeing a bandit 1200 or sprint st or ??? as a replacement for my forever-in-repairs tdm. I figure I'm at step 3 of ~6 in bike ownership. I'm dreading my next step, the garage-that-doubles-as-a-fully-outfitted-mechanics-shop. That'll really put a bee in my money bonnet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Marv Hushman posted:

Fuel trucks used to be marked "inflammable," but due to the stupidity of the general public, they invented the synonym "flammable." Displacement, whether we like it or not, became a marketing tool to reach people that barely grasp the number line, never mind ratios.

"They" might have invented it, but it sure was a while ago, it's in the 1828 Webster's Dictionary:

"Flammability: n. The quality of admitting to be set on fire, or enkindled into a flame or blaze; inflammability."

You're right that there was a concerted effort to change over from one word to the other, though, intended to eliminate confusion for people whose first language wasn't English.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Define "need".

Need: Utterly meaningless when it comes to the purchase of motorcycles.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Perhaps it should be rephrased as "every honest rider can have fun on a 250"? Some people do require larger-displacement bikes for their particular uses, but only the squids rag on 250s as baby bikes for chicks and girly-men and so on.

Bucephalus
Mar 19, 2009

KZ440 engines are cheap and plentiful. Finding a grenaded Versys will be the hard part.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

Perhaps it should be rephrased as "every honest rider can have fun on a 250"? Some people do require larger-displacement bikes for their particular uses, but it's only the squids who rag on 250s as baby bikes for chicks and girly-men and so on.

No, it's true exactly as it is...a ninja 250 does the quarter in about 14 seconds, has enough power to do 0-60 quickly compared to all the other cars out there, gets great gas mileage and is freeway/100mph+ capable. The only people who need more than that should be getting their kicks off the public roads. Although in fairness, this is only true in countries with speed limits.

It's a joke, sure, but it's a truism at the same time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

The only people who need more than that should be getting their kicks off the public roads.

I was thinking more in terms of the people who want to have a bike with a stereo system and air conditioning and take their wife, their dog, and eighty pounds of luggage along with them. They're going to need something bigger than a 250.

What you're getting at is I guess a "need" for a certain level of performance, in which case I agree that a 250 (or put better, anything with a power to weight ratio of maybe 10 lbs/hp) is all you really "need" on public roads. But any speed at all beyond the ability to keep up with traffic on your route isn't really a need at all, just a want, so it's kind of a rhetorical question anyway.

Armchair Calvinist
Jan 10, 2005

I need to somehow get a hold of a multimeter so I can pin out my headlight wiring and install a brighter front end. But I also need to finish the Thieves Guild quest line so I can restore order and honor to the underworld of Riften.

I'd rather have a CB250R than a Ninja 250 honestly.

For puttering around town, while I agree that a 250 is all you really need, any place where you have one-lane roads is gonna drive you nuts when you can't muster up the power to pass somebody safely when they're going fifteen under the speed limit (which is basically every car in Santa Cruz)

But really anything more than 100 horsepower is just plain silly

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

Still nothing on.

The Ninjette has plenty of passing power, as long as the person you're passing isn't doing 85 or higher

Spiffness
Apr 17, 2006

I told you what I'd do for one of these...

Xovaan posted:

But really anything more than 100 horsepower is just plain sillyabsolutely spectacular

Horsepower is like beauty. It's not the only thing that matters, and you can love her dearly even if she isn't the prettiest, but boy does it sure help and when there is an abundance it's so very good.

Bucephalus
Mar 19, 2009

AncientTV posted:

The Ninjette has plenty of passing power, as long as the person you're passing isn't doing 85 or higher

Maybe I should ride one instead of drawing conclusions based on my experiences with a 30-year-old 200?

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

I think this is cool, should I buy it? First bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzu...969638054#v4-47

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

- funky messed up headlight wiring
- custom speedometer that doesn't always work
- bent radiator
- repainted
- been tracked

I personally would look for something in completely stock condition. At least then you know exactly where you're starting from.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

How easily could I revert back to stock speedo? As long as it runs and it's reliable it's not a big deal to me, it's gonna be my first bike so I have to learn.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

Still nothing on.

Not difficult, but reliability can't be promised on a track bike that's owned by somebody who can't figure out how to wire up a speedo. You can't even be sure of its actual mileage.

areyoucontagious
Jun 13, 2007

Hell is other people.

OK, thread, there are a few bikes in my area that look good to me, and I would like to get your opinion on them:

'82 Yamaha Maxim 650. Apparently had battery and starter relay issues, but the guy said he just replaced both. Claims the bike is back up and running, and is asking $1000 for it, which seems high to me: http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2837344523.html

'96 Suzuki Bandit 600. Bike was dropped, has "cosmetic damage" but you can't see it in the photos. No title, which is kind of a pain in the rear end. Asking $1300, which is super high for a dropped bike and no title, but I figured I could talk him down: http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2877268718.html

'85 Honda Shadow, $1250. No real details, but from the pictures is looks relatively maintained.
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2877268718.html

'81 Suzuki GS1100. This bike is a little bigger than I wanted (I'm a big guy, but starting on a 1100 is probably not the best plan) but it is in my price range. Claims it "needs some brake work", but I have no idea what that entails.

You guys have been super helpful, and I'm taking my time instead of just buying the first thing I can start, avoiding bikes with electrical/carb issues. Thanks for all your help!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

areyoucontagious posted:

'82 Yamaha Maxim 650. Apparently had battery and starter relay issues, but the guy said he just replaced both. Claims the bike is back up and running, and is asking $1000 for it, which seems high to me: http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2837344523.html

'96 Suzuki Bandit 600. Bike was dropped, has "cosmetic damage" but you can't see it in the photos. No title, which is kind of a pain in the rear end. Asking $1300, which is super high for a dropped bike and no title, but I figured I could talk him down: http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2877268718.html

'85 Honda Shadow, $1250. No real details, but from the pictures is looks relatively maintained.

'81 Suzuki GS1100. This bike is a little bigger than I wanted (I'm a big guy, but starting on a 1100 is probably not the best plan) but it is in my price range. Claims it "needs some brake work", but I have no idea what that entails.

You guys have been super helpful, and I'm taking my time instead of just buying the first thing I can start, avoiding bikes with electrical/carb issues. Thanks for all your help!

I'd pass on the Bandit - no title means he has literally NO way to prove that he owns the bike. The GS1100 is a great bike, but since it needs brake work (who knows how much work) the Maxim and Shadow may be a better buy for the money and will probably be a bit more newbie friendly.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

Still nothing on.

areyoucontagious posted:

If it's as solid as he makes it out to be and he's gotten the registration sorted out (some states will make the new owner pay fees on lapsed registration, even if it wasn't under their name), that'd be a solid bike. See if he'd bite for $800, based on the general condition of it.

areyoucontagious posted:

Not worth it, best case scenario is that he owns the bike and is just too lazy to get the title replaced. Even then it would be a hassle to get it in your name.

areyoucontagious posted:

You posted the Bandit link again on this one, but as Raven said, it'd be a good choice if the bike is in good shape. Offer a grand.

areyoucontagious posted:

As a new rider, err on the side of caution when an owner says "Needs vague x work," because it usually (always) means it needs more work than they're hinting at.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Today I spoke to the gent who posted this 06 Suzuki C50 and I'll be going down to check it out. From our chat, it sounds like it has been taken pretty good care of it. He said the oil was changed each new riding season and they put an average of 1k miles on the bike every year since purchase from the original owner at 600mi. He said it's still on the factory tires, and the tread is fine on them. It's got everything I really was looking for. A wee bit out of budget, but I think I can manage.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

Guys, any thoughts on this bike: http://motomdpowersports.com/blog/?p=358

He's asking $2k now, and while it's a bit more than I was planning on spending, I have to say I'm tempted.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

kgibson posted:

He's asking $2k now, and while it's a bit more than I was planning on spending, I have to say I'm tempted.

Too much money for a 17 year old 600 that wasn't even that nice in the first place.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

Still nothing on.

Aexo posted:

Today I spoke to the gent who posted this 06 Suzuki C50 and I'll be going down to check it out. From our chat, it sounds like it has been taken pretty good care of it. He said the oil was changed each new riding season and they put an average of 1k miles on the bike every year since purchase from the original owner at 600mi. He said it's still on the factory tires, and the tread is fine on them. It's got everything I really was looking for. A wee bit out of budget, but I think I can manage.

The tire tread may be fine, but ~5-6 years tends to be when the rubber has hardened a considerable amount, enough that you might want to consider replacing those things if you get the bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

kgibson posted:

I rode a Katananana 750 around as a loaner while my vstar was busy loving me in the wallet, and I really disliked it. It was the worst combination of being uncomfortable and handling like reheated poo. They do have a reputation for being reliable though.

A proper handlebar with some pullback and rise (and also some leverage) instead of the clipon style bars might have made a big difference.

For what its worth, Bandits are pretty much mechanically the same as Katanas, but they have way better ergonomics.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

I rode a newer katanna 600 before xmas last year. I was really not impressed. The handling was lethargic at best, the power was ok but it didn't "grab" me like most bikes do. I'd wondered for years how people could describe a bike as unfun, I enjoy every bike I ride for the most part. The katanna taught me what an "unfun" bike was.

Bucephalus
Mar 19, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Katananana

It's pronounced "can-o-tuna".

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

Hello buddies and good friends. Is $10,582.70 out the door a bad deal for a brand new Ducati Monster 796ABS? This includes 6% sales tax, title transfer/state fees, inspection, and the first service. It also assumes that I trade in my 2001 Ninja 250 for a value of about $1200. I am getting a low-balled a little on the trade-in BUT you guys have no idea how convenient it will be to ride to the dealership on my Ninja and ride home on my new Ducati. gently caress U-Haul.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

That seems just about right considering the extras and trade in.

What's included with the first service?

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

A bit much but it looks nice, I have to say: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...2880222953.html

edit: there's this one, too, altho I don't really feel like having to mess with the tach/spedometer issue: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...2877486391.html

kgibson fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2012 around 18:02

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Hello buddies and good friends. Is $10,582.70 out the door a bad deal for a brand new Ducati Monster 796ABS? This includes 6% sales tax, title transfer/state fees, inspection, and the first service. It also assumes that I trade in my 2001 Ninja 250 for a value of about $1200. I am getting a low-balled a little on the trade-in BUT you guys have no idea how convenient it will be to ride to the dealership on my Ninja and ride home on my new Ducati. gently caress U-Haul.

So OTD price is actually $11,700? That's not bad, only 700 over MSRP, including sales tax/fees/service.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Happiness is a tight butt and flat tummy. I have neither but yours looks awesome BTW do you have any beer?

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

I am getting a low-balled a little on the trade-in BUT you guys have no idea how convenient it will be to ride to the dealership on my Ninja and ride home on my new Ducati. gently caress U-Haul.
No doubt the trade is convenient, that's pretty much the whole purpose of trade ins. The part you have to figure out in your head if the convenience is worth the difference in market price and trade. Pretty much only you can answer that.

slidebite fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2012 around 18:58

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

I wound up putting money down on that 06 C50 last night. The owner and his brother-in-law (who posted the ad to Craig's List) were pretty cool guys. The bike looks awesome, and I think the price was reasonable enough. I'll be going down with a friend on Saturday to pick it up. Thanks again to everyone for the input and info!

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

slidebite posted:

No doubt the trade is convenient, that's pretty much the whole purpose of trade ins. The part you have to figure out in your head if the convenience is worth the difference in market price and trade. Pretty much only you can answer that.

I think it's worth it when you consider how much U-Haul costs these days. It would be $150 in rental/mileage costs and another $60 in gas because I'm driving halfway across PA to a Ducati dealer that isn't a pretentious piece of poo poo.

I also forgot to mention that the quoted price for the Monster includes a $600 freight and setup fee... do dealers commonly pass these charges onto the consumer??

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Happiness is a tight butt and flat tummy. I have neither but yours looks awesome BTW do you have any beer?

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

I think it's worth it when you consider how much U-Haul costs these days. It would be $150 in rental/mileage costs and another $60 in gas because I'm driving halfway across PA to a Ducati dealer that isn't a pretentious piece of poo poo.
Well, other than bumming a ride or taking the bus/flying to pick it up (I've done all of the above) it sounds like a no brainer then.

quote:

I also forgot to mention that the quoted price for the Monster includes a $600 freight and setup fee... do dealers commonly pass these charges onto the consumer??
Depends on the dealer, but yeah, I've seen freight/destination quoted as an adder often. Not so much for assembly in my experience though.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Regarding U-Haul:

It is likely that my first bike will be purchased somewhere in the DFW area, likely too far for a new rider on an unfamiliar bike to execute safely.

I am considering this:
- buy a trailer hitch for my RAV4 ~$160
- Rent a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul ~$15 + (Whatever extra fees they charge)

Is this a viable idea, or should I find a hillbilly with a pick up truck?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I bought my bike I just rolled it up a 2x6 into the back of a minivan. The joys of little bikes

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

Hey guys, so I've spent most of the afternoon sitting on bikes and I've decided that I'd be best off / most comfortable with a sportbike. This would be a starter bike, and from everyone I've spoken with and all that I've read starting bigger than a 250 for my location doesn't sound too crazy. Couple of options:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...2889355034.html - this one is perhaps a bit too far outside of the size range I was considering, but it's a nice looking bike and a nice looking deal too.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...2878954244.html - I'd imagine that I could talk this down a few hundred bucks but even then it's a bit more than I'd like to spend.

I feel like based on what I've seen that's out there I'm going to have to either scrounge up some more $ to spend which isn't a problem or reconsider what I'm looking for. I would have expected it to be easier to find something decent here

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Pike posted:

Regarding U-Haul:

It is likely that my first bike will be purchased somewhere in the DFW area, likely too far for a new rider on an unfamiliar bike to execute safely.

I am considering this:
- buy a trailer hitch for my RAV4 ~$160
- Rent a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul ~$15 + (Whatever extra fees they charge)

Is this a viable idea, or should I find a hillbilly with a pick up truck?

I did the U-Haul thing for my Ninja 250. The motorcycle trailer is ballin' and SUPER easy to load/secure but it gets expensive fast if you choose to also rent a F150 instead of using your RAV4 because they have a by-the-mile fee. To be honest it may very well be cheaper to get the hitch instead of a full U-Haul rig. The trailer makes a lot of noise and didn't feel very safe when driven at over 65 MPH or so (which makes you a right-lane slowpoke in the NY/NJ/Philly corridor).

I also just rented a F150 and loaded her up using my ramp before. Even with the truck parked on a hill I had a really hard time loading my bike by myself. It might not be so bad if you have a friend of two to help ya out.

Fixed Gear Guy fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2012 around 04:14

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

kgibson posted:

Hey guys, so I've spent most of the afternoon sitting on bikes and I've decided that I'd be best off / most comfortable with a sportbike. This would be a starter bike, and from everyone I've spoken with and all that I've read starting bigger than a 250 for my location doesn't sound too crazy. Couple of options:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...2889355034.html - this one is perhaps a bit too far outside of the size range I was considering, but it's a nice looking bike and a nice looking deal too.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...2878954244.html - I'd imagine that I could talk this down a few hundred bucks but even then it's a bit more than I'd like to spend.

I feel like based on what I've seen that's out there I'm going to have to either scrounge up some more $ to spend which isn't a problem or reconsider what I'm looking for. I would have expected it to be easier to find something decent here

The SV is the one you probably want to go for if you absolutely need/want that kind of power for your first bike.

I found a GS500 just browsing your area which is cheaper and will probably be a better bike to learn on with: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...2886807407.html Just be careful with the tax thing, he says he'll offset it by putting a lower value on the bill of sale, but some DMVs will just use blue book value if the stated purchase price is lower than it. I'd just haggle him down and see where you get. Bring a friend who can nitpick it to death to drive the price down if you can.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

I think I've seen the GS before, I don't know why I neglected to ask about it. Aside from asking for details about the rear tire, is there anything else I should bother asking this guy before heading out and having a look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

kgibson posted:

I think I've seen the GS before, I don't know why I neglected to ask about it. Aside from asking for details about the rear tire, is there anything else I should bother asking this guy before heading out and having a look?

He seems pretty upfront about what it needs (tires, chain) so it seems pretty cool to me. He also is willing to take it to a mechanic for evaluation so that's a good sign. Seems like an ok seller, show up and bring cash.

Edit: And peruse this document before you go. It's exhaustive but gets you in the right mindset: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

«345 »