Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
The other thing I would definitely empthasize to new riders is that just because it's a small bike, doesn't mean it's not fun. It's hellishly fun riding any motorbike, and just because it's not got 100 thundering horses squeezed between your thighs, more plastics than an ICI refinery and the looks of a supermodel mated with some sort of insect, doesn't mean it won't knock your socks off.

I remember being able to snap my head back under acceleration when I first got my 125, it still brings a grin to me face when I ride it and I've still yet to relegate it to the realm of a tool, which is what a lot of people treat their cars like. It's still an adventure everytime I swing my leg over and start her up.

That said, I am an unusual character, I'll put up with a lot of poo poo from the stuff I own and I'll work around almost any flaws/problems/issues. I also don't care that it will take me 5 hrs to get to my gran's house when I could do it in 3 if I had a bigger bike. Hell, I passed the full bike test nearly 6 weeks ago and I've still not gone past the gawping at bikes on sale stage.

The other thing I'd point out (not that anyone will listen, anyone reading this is probably far more experienced or already has their mind made up) is that smaller bikes weigh less (a lot less? not sure). I've only riden my XR125 and a GS500 but my XR weighs about an order of magnitude less. And struggling to pick your bike up after laying it down doesn't help your mental well-being any. My bike is light enough that I can manhandle it around without any fancy footwork, just bend and lift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

The Wormy Guy posted:

the coolest looking bike right away (R6, CBR, Gixxer, etc).

Man, you're like school on a sunday

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ail posted:

Haha, what is this? [citation needed]. I can totally see it being real, cuz its Cali, but what?

01 f4i = $77 for sticker
88 cutlass ciera = $45 for sticker

quote:

That's... really loving wierd. How does one go about transporting a bike they just purchased, then? Up here, as long as the bike isn't actually driving on the road, the cops just consider it part of a vehicle's cargo, and there's certainly no requirement to register it. That's loving retarded.

quote:

38088. (a) Upon payment of the fee specified in Section 38232, the department shall issue to the owner of a motorcycle, which the owner has certified as being used exclusively in racing events on a closed course, a special transportation identification device for the purpose of identifying the motorcycle while it is being transported upon a highway to and from racing events on a closed course. Such device may be either a plate or a sticker, whichever is determined by the department to be the most appropriate. (b) Such device is nonrenewable, nontransferrable, and becomes invalid when the vehicle for which it was issued is sold or dismantled.
(c) A certificate of ownership may not be issued in
conjunction with a special transportation identification device.

38022. Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 4000, motorcycles issued a special transportation identification device pursuant to Section 38088 may be transported upon a highway to and from a closed course.

Ok, there's the bit on the race permit.

This section covers what can and cannot be registered:

quote:

4000. (1) No person shall drive, move, or leave standing upon a highway, or in an offstreet public parking facility, any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole or pipe dolly, or logging dolly, unless it is registered and the appropriate fees have been paid under this code or registered under the permanent trailer identification program, except that an off-highway motor vehicle which displays an identification plate or device issued by the department pursuant to Section 38010 may be driven, moved, or left standing in an offstreet public parking facility without being registered or paying registration fees.

And here's the list of exceptions:

quote:

38010. (a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (b), every motor vehicle specified in Section 38012 that is not registered under this code because it is to be operated or used exclusively off the highways, except as provided in this division, shall be issued and display an identification plate or device issued by the department.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Motor vehicles specifically exempted from registration under this code, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles exempted pursuant to Sections 4006, 4010, 4012, 4013, 4015, 4018, and 4019.

(2) Implements of husbandry.

(3) Motor vehicles owned by the state, or any county, city, district, or political subdivision of the state, or the United States.

(4) Motor vehicles owned or operated by, or operated under contract with a utility, whether privately or publicly owned, when used as specified in Section 22512.

(5) Special construction equipment described in Section 565, regardless of whether those motor vehicles are used in connection with highway or railroad work.

(6) A motor vehicle with a currently valid special permit issued under Section 38087.5 that is owned or operated by a nonresident of this state and the vehicle is not identified or registered in a foreign jurisdiction. For the purposes of this paragraph, a person who holds a valid driver's license issued by a foreign jurisdiction is presumed to be a nonresident.

(7) Commercial vehicles weighing more than 6,000 pounds unladen.

(8) Any motorcycle manufactured in the year 1942 or prior.

(9) Four-wheeled motor vehicles operated solely in organized racing or competitive events upon a closed course when those events are conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.

(10) A motor vehicle with a currently valid identification or registration permit issued by another state.

Welcome to the hell that is california CVC.

As far as I can see it, as long as you're racing a car, you're clear...but I don't think that most trackdays would fall under "organized racing or competitive events upon a closed course when those events are conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction". So if the cop actually knew the CVC, you'd be hosed. Unless you got a special transportation permit for it under some other part of the code.

Cops treat it basically exactly how you describe it, Simkin. But the law says I must either keep it registered, or have a race transportation permit.

I've come to realize, in the course of researching this stuff over the last year or 2, I probably know the CVCs better than most cops, as they relate to this kind of thing. I've never been pulled with a trackbike in the back, but I like to have my poo poo all legal and legit, and so I get to jump through hoops. Thanks, DMV, for punishing me for being aware of the system and trying to get the right permit for my motorcycle. :rolleyes:

Maybe I can just get my motorcycle listed as a "Implement of Husbandry". Yes, I till them fields with this racebike!

Z3n fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 28, 2008

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's for frightening livestock.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Z3n posted:

Maybe I can just get my motorcycle listed as a "Implement of Husbandry". Yes, I till them fields with this racebike!

Throw some knobby tires around it and chase the cows around the pasture. Sounds like a hell of a good time to me.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

The Wormy Guy posted:

:words:

Thanks for hearing us out. It may sound like we're a bunch of old, crotchety, fun police, but really, we just want to see more riders actually stick it out (safely), and sanely. Six months or a year down the line, after you've put thousands of km on a bike that doesn't want to kill you or spit you off on every corner, you can buy that sweet rear end deal of a 600 off the guy who didn't start slow and now is too scared of crashing to ride it anymore.

If you doubt that last part, just check through the classifieds, and see how many sport bikes are being sold with barely used gear. :v:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Simkin posted:

If you doubt that last part, just check through the classifieds, and see how many sport bikes are being sold with barely used gear. :v:
Late spring and early summer are the best times to look for that kind of deal. That said, there's always a steady trickle of people who've filled their pants with dung one to many times due to riding a bike that's way to much for them.

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

Simkin posted:

Thanks for hearing us out. It may sound like we're a bunch of old, crotchety, fun police, but really, we just want to see more riders actually stick it out (safely), and sanely. Six months or a year down the line, after you've put thousands of km on a bike that doesn't want to kill you or spit you off on every corner, you can buy that sweet rear end deal of a 600 off the guy who didn't start slow and now is too scared of crashing to ride it anymore.

Ok so I did some searching. This looks like it would fit the bill for a good beginner bike, and it's still a bit sporty.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/893164091.html

One thing seems weird though, it says its a GS500FK, doesn't that mean it should have the fairings on the side? Like this bike?
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_gs500f_2008.php

It appears to not have them. Also, cash only? No checks seriously?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

The Wormy Guy posted:

Ok so I did some searching. This looks like it would fit the bill for a good beginner bike, and it's still a bit sporty.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/893164091.html

One thing seems weird though, it says its a GS500FK, doesn't that mean it should have the fairings on the side? Like this bike?
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_gs500f_2008.php

Good choice of a bike, that one has probably been downed before though so that would be my guess as to why there are no fairings.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Well, it does have the cowling from the faired bike (the naked one just has a big 'ol round headlight, and a pair of guages), so chances are it's been down, and the seller just couldn't be bothered to source new plastic. With the lack of fairings, the higher mileage (for a 3yr old bike, that's pretty solid mileage), and other cosmetic defects, I think $2,000 probably wouldn't be an unreasonable offer to make, especially at this time of year. As long as the guy isn't just looking for a cash only sale to get rid of a hot bike, but usually those people will advertise some retardedly low price, which this isn't.

Go have a look at it, they're perfect bikes to start on. Suzuki has been making the GS500 for rougly eleventy-billion years, so parts are plenty, there's knowlege of any and every problem (of which there aren't many), and once you get to the point of wanting something more, you can swap bits of suspension in from faster Suzukis. I had one as my (second) first bike, and it was brilliant. Dead reliable, really cheap to run, no problem with highway travel or longer trips, comfortable, and yet still quick enough to get ahead of any traffic at a stoplight.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

My first motorcycle (a 125cc two-stroke) was actually originally imported as just that.

hammeritme
Oct 28, 2002

I like the cut of your jib

The Wormy Guy posted:

Yeah, the guy who I bought my bike from was the same way too. It was a pain but I can understand why...checks are subject to fakery and you won't realize you've been duped until you show up at the bank and they laugh at you while you get arrested for fraud.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.

The Wormy Guy posted:

GS500?

Add me to the list of praisers for the GS500, I just purchased one as my first bike and it has been quite manageable and even forgiving when I made a mistake or two.

As said before, reliable, been around sicne the stone age, comfy, good to learn on, parts out the arse. What more could you want for a first bike.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I was always led to believe that if you used a cheque to buy a bike or a car, you'd have to wait the five days for the funds to clear. Which means you have to wait 5 days longer but you don't have to wander around town with a few thousand in your pocket.

Also, friend of mine is going to be selling her CB400 in the spring, I think it's a 2002 (she knows what it is, my memory's just being fuzzy). It's a very tempting offer, it's a very good price and a stonking little bike. It may be slightly small, but I think the worst case is I hand it off to my mum or sister and move on again in 6 months to a year. Anyone know much about these bikes?

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
What would you guys think about this one:
http://columbia.craigslist.org/mcy/891045770.html

quote:

honda rebel 250cc - $1500 (sandy run)
Reply to: sale-891045770@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-10-23, 7:47PM EDT

this 86 honda rebel 250cc is a very good looking and very smooth rideing

bike, the paint is in good shape. it has a windshield, it is avary clean bike.

runs excellent. has just been serviced. great gas mileage and ready to ride.

asking $1500.00, come look

Other than the horrible spelling and grammar, thoughts? It would be for a 20 year old female's first venture in to street bikes.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

That's a pretty lovely price, tbqh. You could likely find a post 2000 example of the exact same bike for pretty much the same money he's asking. Good bike, wrong price.

http://columbia.craigslist.org/mcy/886828611.html
See?

Simkin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 29, 2008

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/897205975.html

The guy selling it says he built it from parts and it runs except for the things missing.

What do you guys think? This would be my first bike, might be good to play with for winter?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

yeop. Good buy. As long as that's all that's missing, that's pretty minor, and the price is right.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
As long as the title isn't one of the missing parts, that's a hell of a deal.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

MrKatharsis posted:

As long as the title isn't one of the missing parts, that's a hell of a deal.

Just has a bill of sale. He apparently literally built the bike from parts.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Simkin posted:

That's a pretty lovely price, tbqh. You could likely find a post 2000 example of the exact same bike for pretty much the same money he's asking. Good bike, wrong price.

http://columbia.craigslist.org/mcy/886828611.html
See?

Thats a good deal higher than her price range though. Shes probably going to offer the 1986 Rebel somewhere around 1k. She should probably reference the other newer bike as a reason for not giving him anywhere near what he wants.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

True. I guess the basement price for a running motorcycle is around $1000, regardless of condition. I still think she could get the same bike, newer, for the same amount of money that she'll eventually settle on for the 86.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
So is that gs500e that had been rebuilt a good buy? He said he has no title, but a bill of sale and he would go to the secretary of state with me to make sure it checked out, but I'm not even sure how title transfers and bills of sale work.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Stoic Commie posted:

So is that gs500e that had been rebuilt a good buy? He said he has no title, but a bill of sale and he would go to the secretary of state with me to make sure it checked out, but I'm not even sure how title transfers and bills of sale work.

It doesn't seem too bad. I'd call your local DMV/what have you and see what they say about it. Make sure that the vin of the frame isn't stolen or anything like that.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Stoic Commie posted:

if it's possible to get a title, why doesn't he just do it himself? I can't begin to recall how many times you see the CL listings "and there's no title but you can go to the DMV and get one with just a bill of sale, a witch doctor, and a copy of the constitution." If it's so easy genius, why not do it yourself before the bike gets sold?

There are processes in place to get titles, but it can be fraught with danger. You could be the guy trying to launder a dirty bike, so what if you didn';t steal it yourself, tell it to the judge.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Gnomad posted:

There are processes in place to get titles, but it can be fraught with danger. You could be the guy trying to launder a dirty bike, so what if you didn';t steal it yourself, tell it to the judge.

Some states, or at least Texas, have CYA regulations for this situation. I went through this recently.

I bought a Ninja 250 in August from a fellow who purchased the bike from someone else last year, but never transferred the title to his name. Through some stupidity he wrote on the back of the title in such a way that I couldn't get the sale amended from the previous previous owner to myself. Effectively it meant I had no to way go through normal channels to title the bike in my name and register it.

In this case, in Texas, you apply for a Bonded Title. You go down to the DMV with some documents (a Statement of Fact, a Affidavit noting the VIN, and the normal title transfer form). You pay them a few dollars, and they do a title search for you. You then go buy a bond from a bonding company for the 1.5x the value of the bike. This will cost you X% of the value of the vehicle or $100, whichever is higher. Value of the vehicle is assessed from the Make/Model from some KBB-like value listing. Then you take that to the county Tax Assessor Collector, with all your other paperwork. They send that to Austin, and around two to three weeks later you get a bonded title with your name on it. It remains a bonded title for 3 years, and the bond follows the bike in future sales.

With that, if someone can prove in a court of law that they legally own the bike, they get the value of the bond. You keep the bike. I'm not 100% sure of other details beyond that, though. I don't expect to run into that myself as I've spoken with both the PO and the PPO.

This might be completely different in your state, but I'd expect to find some sort of similar process. If you end up in that situation (again, at least in Texas), the only thing you really need to do is be very diligent in your paperwork. The lady at the Tax Assessor Collector remarked that I had the first completely correct Bonded Title Application that she had ever seen. It's easy to slip up and miss a document or not provide enough information. However, being a detail-oriented fellow I didn't have too much trouble with the process beyond missing half a day of work running around between government offices.

sklnd fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 31, 2008

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
My state has the same kind of process but just you try to find a place to write you a bond around here. We also have an "abandonment" title process, where you can claim a bike 6 months after it was "abandonded" on your property by sending a registered letter to the last owner of record. Both work but neither are as easy as too many CL or garage sale sellers make the process out to be, and both are going to cost more for the paperwork and such in addition to the cost of the title.
For example, I was going to get an abondoned vehicle title for a bike I got at a yard sale...went to the DMV with the form and the check ($10) for a search. Well, turned out the bike had never been registered in the state, whcih means that instead of sending a registered letter I was looking at having to publish legal notice in the paper, which costs a helluva lot more than a registered letter. Or I could pack the beast up, find a dealer to write up an apparaisal, hand 1.5 that much to the DMV to hold on to for 3 years, etc. Basically, it's possible but not that easy and requires a level of commitment that a begiining rider can likely do without.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

"I'm hoping this bike will get me laid"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ClockworkZero posted:

"I'm hoping this bike will get me laid"

I don't even want to imagine the results of saying that to one of the hambeasts at the DMV. :nms:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=85061667

I dare some of you to not look at this ad and not cream your pants.

Silky Thighs
Aug 30, 2005

A friend of mine is selling a 2002 Kawasaki ZX6R, 13,000 miles with helmet/jacket/gloves for $3500. There's no damage to it, and only some minor scratches. I was thinking of getting it for next summer.

Any thoughts? All the stuff also matches, which is a plus..:P.

Looks exactly like this...

Edit: Has it up on craiglist

http://utica.craigslist.org/mcy/853259932.html

Silky Thighs fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 4, 2008

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'm brand new to motorcycles and looking to buy a naked bike that rides like a sportsbike, just without the flashy plastic fairing and whatnot. Since I'm new I don't want a ridiculously powerful or expensive bike - I would prefer a used but reliable bike. I like the look of both cafe racers and newer naked sportsbikes, I just have no idea where to begin looking.

Looking to spend up to $2,000.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/906751980.html

How's this for a first bike? He says it only needs a new cellunoid, but he has the part and I just have to install it.

All the other deals I keep finding are getting bought out before I can blink.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's pretty nice to ride; that's the bike I took my MSF-equivalent on. Definitely good newbie territory as far as power and handling go; I believe they're actually detuned a little from the CB400 motor but I don't know that for sure. The sitting for a couple of years thing, I don't know about; is that long enough to get to the point where you'd want to replace seals and hoses?

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

OH YEAH? I'M FROM DETROIT(s suburbs)!

Stoic Commie posted:

How's this for a first bike? He says it only needs a new cellunoid, but he has the part and I just have to install it.

Be sure to note that those pictures are from another website.

http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CM400

I'd ask for some pictures via email before checking it out.

I'd ask about the solenoid/stator whatever problem too. If its an easy fix, he would have done it.

NVaderJ fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 5, 2008

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ziploc posted:

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=85061667

I dare some of you to not look at this ad and not cream your pants.

See, that's just mean. My bike is at my parents' place since the weekend, and the weather in Toronto's been friggin' nice the past few days, and all I see is people getting some last rides in.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Silky Thighs posted:

A friend of mine is selling a 2002 Kawasaki ZX6R, 13,000 miles with helmet/jacket/gloves for $3500. There's no damage to it, and only some minor scratches. I was thinking of getting it for next summer.

Any thoughts? All the stuff also matches, which is a plus..:P.

Looks exactly like this...

Edit: Has it up on craiglist

http://utica.craigslist.org/mcy/853259932.html

Those headlights are gross.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stoic Commie posted:

if all it needs is to have a solenoid fitted (cellunoid wtf), which he has, to make it work I'd be asking why he hasn't done it and just sell a working bike.
I'd steer clear unless you can go over there and bump start the bike and it runs.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

http://lansing.craigslist.org/mcy/902603589.html
This is a pretty sweet looking SV650, and the price is right, mostly because it's a salvage bike. Should I even bother looking at rebuilt bikes? Is there a rule of thumb, other than "avoid'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

elsanto posted:

http://lansing.craigslist.org/mcy/902603589.html
This is a pretty sweet looking SV650, and the price is right, mostly because it's a salvage bike. Should I even bother looking at rebuilt bikes? Is there a rule of thumb, other than "avoid'?

If it's been fixed up by a shop, chances are you can trust it. Private party can be a little more hit or miss. They're going to have a list of damage, repairs, etc.

I'd buy it.