Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

An observer posted:

Holy crap, now it looks like (real) maple syrup or caramel or something.

How did it taste?

Fixed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sagebrush posted:

I guess it's just what happens to a decent-sized quantity of the stuff if you let it sit, undisturbed, under static environmental conditions for three decades.

You know, like, what happens to dead plankton?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KARMA! posted:

You know, like, what happens to dead plankton?

Clever. But no, I think what's happening here is a very slow natural cross-linking, or some kind of polymerization reaction. Give it enough time and the end product wouldn't be tar, but something similar to amber.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

It dissolved in xylene after 36 hours of soaking, so I assume it's at least tangentially related to gasoline. I guess it's just what happens to a decent-sized quantity of the stuff if you let it sit, undisturbed, under static environmental conditions for three decades.

It wasn't really solidified, either. It was almost exactly the consistency of cold molasses -- here's what I saw as I pulled the float bowls off:

wow to be honest those don't really look THAT bad.

A lot of the ones I've cleaned up have had the floats and float towers break off stuck to the bottom of the bowl in what I can only describe as a black jolly rancher.

Sagebrush posted:

Clever. But no, I think what's happening here is a very slow natural cross-linking, or some kind of polymerization reaction. Give it enough time and the end product wouldn't be tar, but something similar to amber.

actually this is pretty spot on.

edit: I found some pictures of XS carbs. Not nearly the worst I've seen, but you get the idea...

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/05/cleaning-bs-34-carbs-from-81-xs650.html

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 1, 2012

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Found a bike that I am going to go with a friend to look at on Saturday.
1986 Yamaha Radian for $2295 with 7,000 miles.

Going to try for 2k.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I wasn't dickwaving...I just posted that as an example of why a bike that was stored for years can be worse than one that was running the whole time, and some people were impressed. And for what it's worth, even after soaking in xylene for three days I still had to pound the jets out with a steel bucking bar and a hammer, so I think that probably counts as "pretty bad".

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 2, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Actually I think that kind of gunk is protecting them. Notice that there's no aluminum oxide in those bowls. Looks like some homemade Cosmoline.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That was exactly the case, actually. Once I got the goo off, the parts were surprisingly shiny underneath. A little bit of pitting, but nowhere near the damage to an identical set of spare carbs that had been sitting empty on a shelf. The issue was just the tremendous force required to get out the press-fitted parts that were glued in place with the stuff.

Not as waxy as cosmoline -- stickier and more fluid, like resin. Same effect though I guess

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

I wasn't dickwaving...

I'm not saying you were, I'm not either.
I'm just saying you got relatively lucky considering the amount of gas that was left to rot in those. In my experience, that tar can get pretty hard and wind up taking other parts with it then the bowl comes off, like your floats or emulsion tube. And it's a sad, sad thing.

It gets worse when you throw ethanol into the mix too. The problem with ethanol is that it's hydroscopic, so you can wind up with a whole heap of problems from just a little bit of modern gas. Like this:

Sir Cornelius posted:

aluminum oxide

Satan's dicklube.

Gasoline containing ethanol can be rendered useless in as little as a month and start causing issues in just 2 weeks :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm just saying you got relatively lucky considering the amount of gas that was left to rot in those.

Ah, I see...yeah, it actually wasn't *too* bad considering where it could have gone. Like I said, I had 2 spare carbs, but those had a lot of that aluminum corrosion inside, whereas the ones off the bike were in decent shape beyond the goo. From the original four I got 2 complete carbs that I expect will work well, one that's nearly complete except for some busted jets, and one pile of corroded junk.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It gets worse when you throw ethanol into the mix too. The problem with ethanol is that it's hydroscopic, so you can wind up with a whole heap of problems from just a little bit of modern gas.

Gasoline containing ethanol can be rendered useless in as little as a month and start causing issues in just 2 weeks :(

That was probably what saved them, then -- the last time this bike was on the road was 1980, so the leftover gas was undoubtedly 100% petroleum all-american texas tea.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Goddammit why didn't the Honda CBR400 ever make it outside of Japan? Seems like such a sweet compromise for a new rider.

My dad really likes the '78 we picked up and it's kinda too biggish for me. Every bike looks a lot smaller in pictures to me. I thought I would get used to it but everytime I see it, it looks huge. So we're thinking maybe a smallerish more modern bike for me while he takes the KZ.

Does anyone have any experience with the Honda CBR250? FI seems nice after having messed with the carbs on this thing. They say the cbr is a tad smaller/lighter than the Ninjas which is a big plus for me because I'm pretty scrawny. Would any week-end warrior trips (4+ hours) be awful on it? My extended family lives all spread out around Texas. And is it possible to get rid of the horrible hound's tooth for the rear fairing?

Was also looking at SuperMotards but a lot of them come with dirt tires(?) and can only find them new at dealers. Don't think I can pay retail on a bike and drop a bunch of money streeterizing it.

I really can't make up my mind, this is a totally new market for me, all my dad's knowledge of these is from the the 70s. Sorry for being a wishy-washy babby :sweatdrop:

darkhand fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 4, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

darkhand posted:

Goddammit why didn't the Honda CBR400 ever make it outside of Japan? Seems like such a sweet compromise for a new rider.

Actually they did. Like all over Europe.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

darkhand posted:

Frankly, this is how I feel about the entire 250-400cc range (especially standards) and it sucks that Americans don't get/want bikes that size. The CB350 was the best-selling bike in American history -- surely there was a reason for that. Yet today, if you want a small-displacement street bike in the USA your choices are basically

1. scooter
2. a few small dual-sports
3. a tiny sportbike
4. something thirty years old

If Honda would just bring back the CB350 with modernized features and at a decent price point I bet they'd sell the crap out of them.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Sagebrush posted:

Frankly, this is how I feel about the entire 250-400cc range (especially standards) and it sucks that Americans don't get/want bikes that size. The CB350 was the best-selling bike in American history -- surely there was a reason for that. Yet today, if you want a small-displacement street bike in the USA your choices are basically

1. scooter
2. a few small dual-sports
3. a tiny sportbike
4. something thirty years old

If Honda would just bring back the CB350 with modernized features and at a decent price point I bet they'd sell the crap out of them.

Nighthawk 250? Plenty on the used market, and as far as it not being a current production bike (wiki says 2008), I'd take that with a grain of salt. Until recently, some Japanese manufacturer line-ups/websites hadn't been touched in years.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The Nighthawk is just a slow evolution of the '78-'79 185 Twinstar; front drum brake in 2008! :downs:

If I'm reading Sagebrush right, I think he's lamenting the US market's lack of a 400 Hornet/Bandit/whatever, and I couldn't agree more.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I'm right on the edge of buying a 1981 Goldwing for $350 delivered to my door. It isn't running but supposedly needs only a new solenoid, plugs, battery, gas, and fuse to get it working. Nothing really works on the bike (suspension, brakes, etc) but cosmetically it's in pretty good shape aside from being covered in 10 years of dirt and horse manure. It also has a terrible exhaust and floorboard setup that I'd have to replace. What say you Cycle Asylym, should I do it, or will I hate myself at the expense of having to buy new parts and working on it? The last time I tried to restore a bike (early 90s KLR650) I spent $1000 in parts, hated it, and sold it for a $1000 loss.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 4, 2012

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You will hate it/yourself. Buying a bike with the intentions of fixing it up and riding it requires a healthy mechanical aptitude and a deep pocketbook (the lesson you learned with the KLR). Being in the middle of a GL1200 project myself, I can't think of a more difficult bike to try to quickly whip into shape for the riding season.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Thanks, I needed to verify the stupidity of it all. I think the memory of how much I hated working on the KLR has faded over the years but would be vividly refreshed as soon as I started on this one (which needs even more work than the KLR did).

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Buying it as a "winter project" while you have something else to ride would be fine if you were into that sort of thing (I can tell you're not) and understood that you would probably be sinking a couple grand into it when it was all said & done.

hayden. posted:

It isn't running but supposedly needs only a new solenoid, plugs, battery, gas, and fuse to get it working.

You forgot carb overhaul (x4), water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses, timing belts, probably a stator, and every gasket/seal/o-ring on the engine.
E: Then get it all back together only to find out the clutch is bad, so out comes the engine again.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 4, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

hayden. posted:

I'm right on the edge of buying a 1981 Goldwing for $350 delivered to my door. It isn't running but supposedly needs only a new solenoid, plugs, battery, gas, and fuse to get it working.

Let's run this through the PO translator:

New solenoid - blown starter and starter sprag gear
Plugs - no spark, probably needs new coils, maybe a ECU or wiring harness.
Battery - charging system? hosed!
Gas - carbs are solid blocks of rot and fossilized fuel
Fuse - 2/3rds of the wiring harness has been appropriated for a mouse's home.

and that's just the stuff he told you about

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Bucephalus posted:

The Nighthawk is just a slow evolution of the '78-'79 185 Twinstar; front drum brake in 2008! :downs:

If I'm reading Sagebrush right, I think he's lamenting the US market's lack of a 400 Hornet/Bandit/whatever, and I couldn't agree more.

Right, I think this is applicable to the entire range, really. I don't know who makes Honda's strategy and marketing decisions for the US. Carrot Top, maybe? Introducing a chopper at the tail end of the chopper craze? An automatic sport/cruiser/scooter crossover?

I won't defend a marketplace that begat a 2053cc Vulcan, but it seems to me that the roadways of the late 60s/early 70s were more low-displacement friendly than the Death Race 2000 environment we have now. I think they have to account for occasional highway use, where even a midsize can feel suicidal at times.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Haha, thanks Z3n. I went ahead and turned the guy down, now just to wait until I can get a ER-6N/Honda 599 or something similar in good shape.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Z3n posted:

Let's run this through the PO translator:

New solenoid - blown starter and starter sprag gear
Plugs - no spark, probably needs new coils, maybe a ECU or wiring harness.
Battery - charging system? hosed!
Gas - carbs are solid blocks of rot and fossilized fuel
Fuse - 2/3rds of the wiring harness has been appropriated for a mouse's home.

and that's just the stuff he told you about

AND he's apparently out of flash bulbs for his Kodak Instamatic X15 :)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Marv Hushman posted:

I think they have to account for occasional highway use, where even a midsize can feel suicidal at times.

Good point, I have a bad habit of looking at things through rural-farmland-tinted glasses, where "traffic" means "Amish horse-and-buggy". I don't realize how good I've got it as far as scenic, twisty, uncongested roads to ride on.

My Twinstar is too small to haul my fat rear end, a 600SS would be wasted by not seeing anything past third gear, and my 1500 Intruder is like driving a truck. A 400 standard would be the perfect "slow bike to ride fast", but some random hick in Ohio =/= the entire US market.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 4, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

it seems to me that the roadways of the late 60s/early 70s were more low-displacement friendly than the Death Race 2000 environment we have now. I think they have to account for occasional highway use, where even a midsize can feel suicidal at times.

I think this is definitely true. But at the same time, it seems to me that there would be a good market for people who only occasionally go on the interstates, spend most of their time in the city or on two-lane highways, and want something a little smaller, lighter and more fuel-efficient than a 600 or 750. Basically the European commuter use pattern, as I understand it.

[e]

actually this is pretty much the perfect description

quote:

A 400 standard would be the perfect "slow bike to ride fast",

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 4, 2012

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Dear Suzuki: SV400N. Do it NOW.

E: a square SV motor (62.6mm x 62.6mm) would yield 385.3cc and gobs of torque.

E2: Oh goddamnit, the SV400 already exists. USDM :argh:

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 4, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bucephalus posted:

Dear Suzuki: SV400N. Do it NOW.

E: a square SV motor (62.6mm x 62.6mm) would yield 385.3cc and gobs of torque.

E2: Oh goddamnit, the SV400 already exists. USDM :argh:

You just missed out on your chance to buy my sv 500 engine :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Marv Hushman posted:

I won't defend a marketplace that begat a 2053cc Vulcan, but it seems to me that the roadways of the late 60s/early 70s were more low-displacement friendly than the Death Race 2000 environment we have now. I think they have to account for occasional highway use, where even a midsize can feel suicidal at times.

I agree with you, but CA routinely recommends 250s as starters even with highway riding, and even tame 600s will blow past 100MPH without effort. A modern 400 would have way more performance than a 30-year old CB, they'd allow two-up and luggage capability over a 250, and they seem to work fine for Euro riders.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Snowdens Secret posted:

I agree with you, but CA routinely recommends 250s as starters even with highway riding, and even tame 600s will blow past 100MPH without effort. A modern 400 would have way more performance than a 30-year old CB, they'd allow two-up and luggage capability over a 250, and they seem to work fine for Euro riders.

Seemingly relevant. I take my wife for small rides on the DRZ is it an issue for the suspension? It seriously sags but our weight is still within spec for the bike. It shouldn't break anything right? I'm a lot more careful with road choice when we're both riding and I avoid big bumps as much as possible.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Snowdens Secret posted:

Agree, the Displacement Debate winds up becoming a UN meeting without fail, and it's been that way from the beginning. Ironically, it was even being argued in the moto press when the CBs were first introduced. It's our equivalent of the "ideal caliber" discussion in a gun forum.

Actually, I feel exactly the same way about the disappearance of the small pickup. How was it that millions managed to get by and take care of business with them in the 80s? Was everyone secretly wishing these were four times larger? 90% of us need to occasionally pick up a load of bathroom tiles, not 16 bales of hay.

In terms of a tame 600 blowing past 100 without effort, I can only say my mileage varied. A VLX 600 will get past 100, but you will be cursing Soichiro's ghost through chattering teeth for its lack of a fifth gear.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Displacement != horse power. Personally I think people should be looking at horse power versus weight of the bike. If you want or be more anal, try to look at dyno charts to see if the power curve is linear.

My Kawasaki Police 1000 had 998 CC's of displacement but it only had 98 peak horse power and the bike weighed over 600 lbs. My R6 has supposedly 125 horse power and weighs half as much. It's a completely different.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Crayvex posted:

Displacement != horse power. Personally I think people should be looking at horse power versus weight of the bike. If you want or be more anal, try to look at dyno charts to see if the power curve is linear.

Fuel trucks used to be marked "inflammable," but due to the stupidity of the general public, they invented the synonym "flammable." Displacement, whether we like it or not, became a marketing tool to reach people that barely grasp the number line, never mind ratios.

Proper calculations notwithstanding and all snake oil aside, I think we can agree that a 250cc anything (and likewise a 1500cc anything) could rightly be rejected out of hand for a given riding situation armed only with what we know about the marketplace. The same could be said for bikes where the displacement is intertwined with the bike's identity--675, 690, 920, 1150--do I really need a slide rule to know what I'm getting into here?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

No honest rider needs more than a ninja 250. :colbert:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I weigh 265, I could sprint 0-60 faster than a Ninja 250 could carry me.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

No honest rider would ever be caught dead riding around the aesthetic equivalent of an Oreck

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

No honest rider would ever be caught dead riding around the aesthetic equivalent of an Oreck

Honesty isn't flattering.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I've had people in the next lane point at my bike and laugh.

Admittedly, it's because I had to lay er down and the exhaust is pretty hosed.

It's not a nice feeling, having people laugh at your bike. :smith:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Define "need".

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Z3n posted:

You may be right.

What I was trying to say, clumsily maybe, was--if I need a flickable bike to dart in and out of NYC traffic, I can fall back on Kentucky windage and rule out liter+ bikes without a great deal of further analysis. Maybe I miss 1-2 good candidates. And while the Ninja 250 would be ideal for the above, I wouldn't take it or anything else in its class onto I696 where the most merciful outcome would be a crosswind picking it up and dropping it in the opposite lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

With my limited experience with 250 bikes ... Going over this bridge here:

If there are strong winds and I'm going up it, the engine just sucks. The speed limit on that bridge is 80 but most people go 80-100, and I have to drop down from 5th to 4th/3rd gear just to keep up with traffic. :(