Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I haven't heard back, but I'm hoping to go see it this weekend. Have a ton of stuff going on this weekend but I'm hoping to check out a few bikes and decide what fits best and what I feel most comfortable on. I'm trying my best to not buy the first bike I come across but the excitement is killing me. Don't buy a house, new furniture and appliances, start school (16 credits), and shop for a bike all in a 3 week period if you enjoy sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
This is a crazy low price for my area:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-CHEAP-PRICE-1979-HONDA-CX-500-W0QQAdIdZ1019280900

I'm thinking about grabbing it and flipping it. It will pretty safely sell for $1500 in the spring.

Thoughts or concerns? Seller says it has some rust spots under the exhaust and a torn seat.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CX have a few issues, charging and water pump being the biggest. If it runs well and doesn't leak, buy it but I'd try to offer her a little less than asking considering the time of year and wanting to sell ASAP.

That purple really suits you though.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

CX have a few issues, charging and water pump being the biggest. If it runs well and doesn't leak, buy it but I'd try to offer her a little less than asking considering the time of year and wanting to sell ASAP.

That purple really suits you though.

Thanks buddy but I got shot down by the wife. She doesn't want it sitting here until spring for the flip.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Looking at picking up a Honda XL 650 V Transalp, 2005 model - anyone had any experience with them?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

DrakeriderCa posted:

Thanks buddy but I got shot down by the wife. She doesn't want it sitting here until spring for the flip.

lovely but understandable, although you could just cover it and leave it outside. Just noticed how the ad says 15K and the odo shows 25K in the photo :downs:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

lovely but understandable, although you could just cover it and leave it outside. Just noticed how the ad says 15K and the odo shows 25K in the photo :downs:

Yeah, that was one of the reasons she said no. Doesn't want our yard turning into a salvage yard.

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4656979815.html

Is this good price, considering the mileage? The blue underglow kind of makes me hesitant but it looks to be in good shape.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
That would be a good price here in Texas for that SV650.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Minkee posted:

That would be a good price here in Texas for that SV650.

Yeah, I think most of the ones I was looking at in Texas for that price were Gen1 and/or crashed.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

A Loud Fart posted:

Is this good price, considering the mileage? The blue underglow kind of makes me hesitant but it looks to be in good shape.

Yeah looks good, though the blue lights make me hesitant too, never know what kind of nightmare you're in on the electrical side. Take a good look under the seat and see how it was done.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
When I see blue lights on a bike, I know it's a jackpot. In the archaic, ironic sense of the term. See: Cormac McCarthy, No Country For Old Men.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Marv Hushman posted:

When I see blue lights on a bike, I know it's a jackpot. In the archaic, ironic sense of the term. See: Cormac McCarthy, No Country For Old Men.

You don't want to get into no jackpot, mister

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

DrakeriderCa posted:

You don't want to get into no jackpot, mister

No, I certainly do not. However, I would not be opposed to getting onto a jackpot...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Today I finally got why you guys recommend the sportster as a first bike so often. I saw a guy who had one with no farkles or bullshit whatsoever. The normal pegs and normal handlebars made it look like the riding position was exactly like a touring/adv bike, just slightly more squat. That plus the very low COG and tame engine would make a marvellous learner bike. It looked about the same width as my 919 and the guy seemed to be doing ok splitting.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The stock position is good with mid pegs, lifting the rear a bit with longer than stock shocks (and putting more standard bars on, if applicable) helps a lot. Some Shadows (I think the RS) also give you a very standard riding position on a cruiser platform.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Marv Hushman posted:

The Counselor by the same author might also fit. Twang.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slavvy posted:

Today I finally got why you guys recommend the sportster as a first bike so often. I saw a guy who had one with no farkles or bullshit whatsoever. The normal pegs and normal handlebars made it look like the riding position was exactly like a touring/adv bike, just slightly more squat. That plus the very low COG and tame engine would make a marvellous learner bike. It looked about the same width as my 919 and the guy seemed to be doing ok splitting.

Not sure what Sportster this was, but the Sportster I rode was a fairly new model and the COG was high as poo poo. It had forward controls which was kinda weird but the bike handled like a bag of dicks. When at slow speed you really had to be careful not to dump the POS. Not a great beginner bike imho.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

A Loud Fart posted:

It's not a bad price, but I'd be hesitant on having the PO gently caress with the electronics like that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

Not sure what Sportster this was, but the Sportster I rode was a fairly new model and the COG was high as poo poo. It had forward controls which was kinda weird but the bike handled like a bag of dicks. When at slow speed you really had to be careful not to dump the POS. Not a great beginner bike imho.

I'd say that would be the forward controls. I've never ridden a sportster (or a bike with forward controls) but I don't see how a bike that looks half the height of mine can have a high as poo poo COG. Being low to the ground would probably help if you're short, too.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I thought most Harleys had a really low COG, and that it was one of their selling points?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Shimrod posted:

I thought most Harleys had a really low COG, and that it was one of their selling points?

The bigger ones definitely have a low COG. It may be an illusion, but the Sportsters all seem to be really tall and skinny with a high COG.

Not a big fan of them stock.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Depends on the model. But yeah, with mids and normal bars they are pretty well balanced. I had the Iron 883, which I think had the lowered suspension and that was my only gripe about the bike that wasn't related to "I just want a SuperMoto".

What a lot of guys do is buy it, then throw apes and forward controls on it and that just ruins the way the bike feels to me, but to each his own I guess. Seems like the types that do that are also just using it as a bar-hopper, since all the ones on CL with those mods have low miles.

I'd love another one, but too many other things going on right now.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Look at a picture of a sportster. Notice how the tank and a good bit of the frame is above your balls. That makes a bike pretty top heavy.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Cross-posting from the Dallas thread because this one moves moves faster. Forgot to add that this bike was lowered two inches because I'm a short guy who wouldn't have been able to ride it otherwise.

azzenco posted:

I'm looking to sell my 2013 CBR250R but don't know anything about selling/pricing bikes. What's a good source to find out all of that? Got just over 1000 miles on it and although I love riding, I'm just not cut out to own one or ride regularly because I'm too lazy for ATGATT and if I don't wear it all then I won't ride. Maybe I should quit being ATGATT. Should this go in the bigger thread?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Backov posted:

The bigger ones definitely have a low COG.
There's two things that go into a bike feeling light, one is the center of gravity, one is the overall weight. Big twin Harleys do have a low center of gravity, but they also weigh more than a truck. Sportsters are more similar than people give them credit for, I think. Push any Harley around for a few minutes, they all feel loving massive.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

n8r posted:

Look at a picture of a sportster. Notice how the tank and a good bit of the frame is above your balls. That makes a bike pretty top heavy.

Counterpointing that your balls tend to be pretty low to the ground when riding those things. 'Top-Heavy' tends to be more related to how far the center of mass is above the axles.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I wasn't looking for an HD, but a 2004 1200 Custom was just made available in my budget. 15k miles.

I sat on it, rode it around the parking lot, and fell in love. Feels perfect, everything works great. Anything I should be aware of? Anything to worry about? $4000.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

El Jebus posted:

I wasn't looking for an HD, but a 2004 1200 Custom was just made available in my budget. 15k miles.

I sat on it, rode it around the parking lot, and fell in love. Feels perfect, everything works great. Anything I should be aware of? Anything to worry about? $4000.

That is well below market for a rubbermount 1200C, so the price is right. I would take it on the road if possible and jump on it, see if you get any carb farts, etc., due to the obvious Stage 1 upgrades and associated jetting or lack thereof. Make sure all the stock parts come with the package, including the front fender, side covers, and seat. I've read that the la pera solo seat is brutal compared to stock, which from personal experience does not seem possible. All of the aftermarket solo seats for the 04-06 models suck, and the HD offerings are flat out dangerous, with terrible anchoring and movement in every direction.

The rear fender looks hacked and the stock tail light is gone, which worries me. That all terminates in an AMP multilock connector, and some people just start snipping and splicing rather than buying the special tools. Check for evidence of this.

If there's a clear title and it can be returned to stock, I wouldn't hesitate.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What happens to the air filter if it rains? Genuine question.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Slavvy posted:

That is a great question. I live in Indio, CA where we get very little rain, and when it does rain, it falls on just a few days out of the year. We have something like 350 days of sunshine. Los Angelos is cold and wet compared to here. My other concern is the fact that it is really, really hot here for 5-6 months of the year.

Marv Hushman posted:

That is well below market for a rubbermount 1200C, so the price is right. I would take it on the road if possible and jump on it, see if you get any carb farts, etc., due to the obvious Stage 1 upgrades and associated jetting or lack thereof. Make sure all the stock parts come with the package, including the front fender, side covers, and seat. I've read that the la pera solo seat is brutal compared to stock, which from personal experience does not seem possible. All of the aftermarket solo seats for the 04-06 models suck, and the HD offerings are flat out dangerous, with terrible anchoring and movement in every direction.

The rear fender looks hacked and the stock tail light is gone, which worries me. That all terminates in an AMP multilock connector, and some people just start snipping and splicing rather than buying the special tools. Check for evidence of this.

If there's a clear title and it can be returned to stock, I wouldn't hesitate.

I don't think the stock parts are available, but I will definitely ask if they are. I plan on getting a new seat regardless, but I didn't mind the La Pera that much. I am going to be commuting about 30 minutes total on it day to day, so I'll see if I have to come up with something better. To be clear, they are asking for $5500 (consigned at a mechanic's shop who is the go between), but I am going to start at $4k because that is ridiculous (the mechanic agreed). Title is clear, and I'll check the rear end for electrical tomfoolery tomorrow.

Didn't notice any carb farts, but that might be because I don't know what that is!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

El Jebus posted:

Didn't notice any carb farts, but that might be because I don't know what that is!

Backfiring/popping due to amateur tuning in the quest for moar hoarspar and screaming freedom. You'll know it if you hear it, often on deceleration.

Another reason to insist on a road test is to shift through all gears and make sure you don't have clutch slippage due to the dreaded spring plate issue, which tends to make its appearance in the 15,000 mi neighborhood (or sooner, depending on how spirited a rider the PO was.) I think they fixed this on later model years but never acknowledged the defect.

Because you're looking at a first year rubbermount--the bike was completely redesigned in '04--you will also want to check for leaks at the base of the rocker covers, which was an acknowledged problem that I believe was restricted to this model year (I've never had the issue with my '06.) Some initial batches of covers were just poorly done and didn't have good mating surfaces. FYI:

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/22540-04-1200-xlc-rocker-box-cover-leaks.html#post280845

They owned up to this and fixed the defective ones--you may want to ask if this was done.

Given that 4K was not asking price and you're headed up instead of down, I would revise my advice and say hold out for a later year, preferably bone stock.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 25, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

It sits in the garage with the rest of the bike?

Functionality improvement isn't exactly a major priority with H-D aftermarket filters. Just be glad the guy still has one on there.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
Hey all,

Previous bikes: Bandit 600, Bandit 1200.

I now want to get back in the game and have been test-riding all sorts of things.

A ZX6R J1 (2000 model) has come up for a good deal locally. Different from a B12, but having taken a CBR500F out for a spin today, realised I quite like that style of bike and giving it gas and zooming off was fantastic fun. Also, the B12 handles like a barge in comparison.

However, I'm wondering if anyone here has any comments on the ZX6R J1 model in general, especially in comparison with CBRs. The general feel is that it is not a full-on super-sports bike, and therefore more of an all-rounder. That will work for me.

Any thoughts?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The F4i will be a better bike because Honda makes better bikes than Kawasaki.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's nothing wrong with the old ZX6 beyond being pretty badly outdated, but that can apply to pretty much everything from 2000. If you specifically want a sportsbike-lite experience it's also worth considering yzf600 thundercat (thunder ace? Can never remember which is which). The CBR600 isn't a 'proper' sports bike by modern standards either and also worth considering.

The CBR500 is not even remotely like an actual sportsbike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Badly outdated, or a bike that was designed with some consideration of street riding enjoyment instead of the fastest lap time in whatever lovely magazine comparo there is. ~2003 was the death of the sportbike you could actually ride comfortably on the street.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

n8r posted:

Badly outdated, or a bike that was designed with some consideration of street riding enjoyment instead of the fastest lap time in whatever lovely magazine comparo there is. ~2003 was the death of the sportbike you could actually ride comfortably on the street.

I bought the ZX6R J1. Good deal, local guy who just loves bikes and trading them and doing them up, and came recommended.

Have taken her out for a spin and love her. Engine clearly in good condition and pulling very well. My previous bike was a Bandit 12 and this is just fun in a different way, and certainly has the power! Very comfortable to ride.. as quoted, this was before sports-bikes became silly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

I was meaning technologically but you're right to some degree. Fireblades still seem to be very comfortable and useable, I guess?

Mewcenary posted:

I bought the ZX6R J1. Good deal, local guy who just loves bikes and trading them and doing them up, and came recommended.

Have taken her out for a spin and love her. Engine clearly in good condition and pulling very well. My previous bike was a Bandit 12 and this is just fun in a different way, and certainly has the power! Very comfortable to ride.. as quoted, this was before sports-bikes became silly.

Are those the factory brakes? Could've sworn only the ZX-9 and 12 ever came with the dreaded six pots. Very nice bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The 6 pots were a common "upgrade" for those bikes (and the zx6e).