Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
Right foot down rider here. You freaks. Was taught this approach when doing my advanced motorcycle training here in the UK. Works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

rizuhbull posted:

I'm likely gonna go with a ninja 250 or sv650 because they seem like the most recommended beginner bikes. I don't know what else you want me to say.

@captainOrbital, Thanks. Will keep in mind.

As a fellow FL rider don't get the Ninja 250. There are no cool roads where you can enjoy the handling of the 250 here. It's all one long straight road, and a long straight road on a Ninja 250 is not fun in any sort of way. Get the SV650 of those two.

Both feet down because my couch weighs 750 pounds.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I do both, depends on how long I'll be sitting there and how lazy I'm feeling whether I'll use both feet.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
When I do have both feet down it is often just because I want to prove I can flatfoot a DRZ.

Mewcenary posted:

Right foot down rider here. You freaks. Was taught this approach when doing my advanced motorcycle training here in the UK. Works for me.

What is the reasoning there? I keep right foot up so I am holding the rear brake to keep the bike from moving since my area isn't very flat.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

BlackLaser posted:

As a fellow FL rider don't get the Ninja 250. There are no cool roads where you can enjoy the handling of the 250 here. It's all one long straight road, and a long straight road on a Ninja 250 is not fun in any sort of way. Get the SV650 of those two.

As another FL rider who also just bought an SV650 as their first bike, I'd agree with all of this. I'm still looking for fun roads to ride and they're few and far between here.

Edit: Also, I was taught left foot down, right foot on the rear brake at my MSF class two years ago. I'll do left foot or both occasionally.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 17, 2014

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I was taught to keep my right foot down and keep the left pressing down on the gear lever, to prevent it from popping out of gear when taking off, which seams dubious but whatever. I know others are taught to put the bike in neutral when stopped, I was not.

Edit: also having your right foot down makes it easy to change gears, for example to shift down if you didn't completely shift down before coming to a stop, or to flick it into neutral when the wait is getting too long.

High Protein fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 17, 2014

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Looking for a replacement bike for my stolen DR650. How does this look?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4713380206.html

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

BlackLaser posted:

Oh man I completely looked over the fact that he lives in Florida, I would have catered my advice more towards that and ignored the 250s altogether.

I'd get a Hayabusa in that case.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

nsaP posted:

Oh man I completely looked over the fact that he lives in Florida, I would have catered my advice more towards that and ignored the 250s altogether.

Stretch Hayabusa right?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

High Protein posted:

I know others are taught to put the bike in neutral when stopped, I was not.
Can't you simply pull the clutch or no? Don't know how shifting works, at least not anything past the very basics.

nsaP posted:

This is some kind of inside motorcycle joke, isn't it?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yuuuup.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

rizuhbull posted:

Can't you simply pull the clutch or no? Don't know how shifting works, at least not anything past the very basics.

Yeah you can just keep the clutch pulled (though it gets old after a couple of minutes), however here I've read that some people are taught to shift into neutral, I think the reason I saw was in case the clutch cable breaks; although a bike will just stall, not careen off into traffic when that happens.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

High Protein posted:

I was taught to keep my right foot down and keep the left pressing down on the gear lever, to prevent it from popping out of gear when taking off, which seams dubious but whatever.
Totally dubious. Who taught you this? I noticed other people saying they were taught right foot down too, why?

MSF teaches right foot on the brake lever because it's the most obvious safe thing to do. You're using that lever as you come to a stop.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

rizuhbull posted:

This is some kind of inside motorcycle joke, isn't it?

Typically you only shift into neutral if A) You're aware of the timing of the lights and B) You feel safe from the rear with 2 more or more cars stopped behind you. It's best to stay in first and keep the clutch pulled in if you're not sure about the timing of the lights or if there's no one behind you and traffic could potentially plow into you.

Also, don't put your right foot down unless you're putting both down (which is meh too)-- that's a dumb habit to learn. Keeping your right foot on the brake lever while stopped is a useful habit for a multitude of reasons the foremost of which in my experience has been that it makes launches on upward inclines much easier with minimal rolling backwards and/or embarrassing stalls.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

Typically you only shift into neutral if A) You're aware of the timing of the lights and B) You feel safe from the rear with 2 more or more cars stopped behind you. It's best to stay in first and keep the clutch pulled in if you're not sure about the timing of the lights or if there's no one behind you and traffic could potentially plow into you.

Also, don't put your right foot down unless you're putting both down (which is meh too)-- that's a dumb habit to learn. Keeping your right foot on the brake lever while stopped is a useful habit for a multitude of reasons the foremost of which in my experience has been that it makes launches on upward inclines much easier with minimal rolling backwards and/or embarrassing stalls.
So riding (or driving in a manual car I imagine is identical) looks like you take it off park or neutral to first using clutch control, then second or third as your speed increases, then back down as your speed decreases and you're coming to a stop until you hit 1st gear and hold the clutch in at the stop, then back up again. You may also need to down and up shift again when cornering. ALso every time you shift, you hold down the clutch. I'm bad at explaining but that's how I understand how one drives a manual.

BlackLaser posted:

Alright. Yeah, there's nothing here so comfort is important to me. Have been even thinking about a sport touring bike but I don't know how those do for commutes.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 17, 2014

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Totally dubious. Who taught you this? I noticed other people saying they were taught right foot down too, why?

MSF teaches right foot on the brake lever because it's the most obvious safe thing to do. You're using that lever as you come to a stop.

Left foot on the pegs because if ~something happens~ you can throttle out and shift to second faster. Also, never sit in traffic in neutral for the same reason.

The neutral I totally understand, the foot placement not so much. Besides, when you're on an incline I was taught to keep the rearbreak on so what's the added safety anyway? :confused:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Chichevache posted:

What is the reasoning there? I keep right foot up so I am holding the rear brake to keep the bike from moving since my area isn't very flat.

Its the UK. They do every thing on the wrong side.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I keep both feet on the pegs and just perfectly balance the bike at a standstill.

I don't understand why more people don't do this :smugdog:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coredump posted:

Its the UK. They do every thing on the wrong side.

That's certainly how they do their wars. :911:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I put my right foot down cause the left one works the shift lever. But I'm also a CA heretic and I leave my bike neutral at lights all the time if I know it's going to be a bit. Rear brake helps a bit on a steep hill but otherwise, meh. Also with a bit of practice you can use the front in the exact same way.

Really I don't have a hard and fast rule either way, sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes both if I need to stand and stretch.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
I find I tend to put my right foot down at stops when I'm not thinking about it, but I'm trying to train myself to do left foot down because where I live is super hilly and it's hard for me to ease on the throttle while releasing the front brake at the same time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Put down the foot on whichever side the road camber is lower - this seems pretty simple and obvious advice.

(I have to giggle at the people who say they stay in gear so they can ride away if someone doesn't stop in time, because in my mind they're in a racing crouch at every light staring intently in their mirrors - how loving often do you get rear-ended and just how good do you think your reflexes and threat perception are for this to be worth loving up your clutch and/or turning your hand into a wanking claw?)

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
It's even simpler to always put the left foot down and keep the right on the brake without variation, as they taught in the MSF course.

I, too, giggle at the guys who think they're Jedi enough to avoid being rear-ended - especially since if you're at a stop it means you'd probably just burst right into crossing traffic and be killed anyway - but I like to leave the bike in gear so I can lift my one foot and immediately begin moving without any loving around getting into the gear I should already have been in. And unless your clutch is many times heavier to pull than normal, or you're sitting at stoplights that stay red for hours at a time, I seriously doubt staying in gear poses much threat to to the condition of either your hand or your clutch.

(I do put my car in neutral when I'm stopped, though, because the shifter falls readily to hand, and its manipulation compromises neither my ability to manipulate the brake, nor my car's tendency to stay upright. In either case, everyone else is slower than me when it comes to leaving the stop, so I feel pretty smug about it.)

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 17, 2014

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've never had a clutch mess up on me because I stay in gear at red lights. /shrug

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
My bike actually gets whacky if I shift into neutral at lights. GS500s often have to have the clutch popped in and out to shift back into first after sitting for a second. That is why most of us just clutch in at the light. Its a wet clutch, not much is going to happen to it if you hold it in.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You mean you don't have a knob big enough to cope with taming such a savage beast :colbert:

Man, what happened to batshit insane bikes, anyway? I don't just mean things like Laverdas and Bimotas, I mean like the air-cooled GSXRs and first-gen Fireblades, mainstream bikes from big manufacturers that looked like they would kill you just by walking past them. BMW have sort of tried it with the S1000RR and it's :pwn: headlights but that little roundel on the side just destroys any amount of mad, bad and dangerous to know cred that having aquaman gills on the tail might have given it.

H2R is calling your name.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Frosty- posted:

And unless your clutch is many times heavier to pull than normal, or you're sitting at stoplights that stay red for hours at a time, I seriously doubt staying in gear poses much threat to to the condition of either your hand or your clutch.

Stock setting for an HD clutch lever:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If it feels like that it needs a new cable.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Yeah but it would ruin his left arm work out routine.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

clutchpuck posted:

If it feels like that it needs a new cable.

I guess that's entirely possible, but I remember this being the case right out of the showroom. Not a complaint really; the Japanese bikes I rode prior to it had hair triggers in comparison. I'll have to check this out on a similar bike.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I've just gotten my motorcycle endorsement and want to buy a bike in the near future, I'm thinking a Ninja 250 given all the recommendations online and its performance/features compared to the other commonly recommended starter bikes. I'm fairly confident that I want to buy a used bike, but not super confident about buying from a private seller vs. a dealer.

I have one friend who is quite an enthusiastic rider and offered to help me out with inspecting and test riding a used bike from a private seller, but I worry that he hasn't been riding for very long. Am I likely to get myself into trouble buying from a private seller, would they be unlikely to let a totally new rider test ride their bike (honestly I think if the situation were reversed I probably wouldn't let them), and is it normal to take a used bike to a mechanic before you buy it (I definitely do this for used cars)?

One other thing is that I feel like I should try out how different starter bikes feel for my height/build and just how I like to sit. I'm not sure what the best way to that is, just go to dealers and sit on the bikes? Also I live in Seattle if that helps answering.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I've just gotten my motorcycle endorsement and want to buy a bike in the near future, I'm thinking a Ninja 250 given all the recommendations online and its performance/features compared to the other commonly recommended starter bikes. I'm fairly confident that I want to buy a used bike, but not super confident about buying from a private seller vs. a dealer.

I have one friend who is quite an enthusiastic rider and offered to help me out with inspecting and test riding a used bike from a private seller, but I worry that he hasn't been riding for very long. Am I likely to get myself into trouble buying from a private seller, would they be unlikely to let a totally new rider test ride their bike (honestly I think if the situation were reversed I probably wouldn't let them), and is it normal to take a used bike to a mechanic before you buy it (I definitely do this for used cars)?

One other thing is that I feel like I should try out how different starter bikes feel for my height/build and just how I like to sit. I'm not sure what the best way to that is, just go to dealers and sit on the bikes? Also I live in Seattle if that helps answering.

Yup. Go do exactly that, but you'll end up buying a Buell Blast Ninja 250 anyway.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Look through this: http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

It's a pretty thorough guide to what to look for with a used bike and almost all of it doesn't require you to ride the bike. When I bought my first bike I was super unsure of my own ability to spot problems. I talked to the seller and made the sale contingent on having a mechanic look at it and clear it of any major problems (I said I would pay for the mechanic evaluation either way). It might be a little tougher to get a great deal doing that, but I felt it was worth it for my own peace of mind.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Honestly the idea the dealers are more reliable than private sellers is a myth. Personal experience: retailer told me a clutch noise on warm-up was just the clutch braking in. Turns out the whole clutch was fried and they refused to pay for the fix.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Barnsy posted:

Honestly the idea the dealers are more reliable than private sellers is a myth. Personal experience: retailer told me a clutch noise on warm-up was just the clutch braking in. Turns out the whole clutch was fried and they refused to pay for the fix.

I think it can be reasonable with cars, as there's generally a warranty and the whole thing is a lot more established. With motorcycles you get no warranty and you're just paying more by dealing with someone who sells motorcycles for a profit as their job instead of a guy who finally realized he isn't going to ride this thing after it's sat in his garage for 2 years and it should probably be gone by now.

That said I bought my most recent motorcycle at a dealer because they were selling a bike I wanted, it's worked out OK so far. You're going to end up doing all the same basic maintenance items to make sure they've been done correctly, so just look for the bike/deal you want. For a starter bike that's almost definitely going to be a private seller.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Barnsy posted:

It's not that dealers are more reliable. It's that you have somewhere to go back to and raise hell if something happens to your vehicle. You can't really do that with a private seller.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

rizuhbull posted:

It's not that dealers are more reliable. It's that you have somewhere to go back to and raise hell if something happens to your vehicle. You can't really do that with a private seller.

True but generally dealer bikes cost way more than non-dealer bikes, and your saved money could go towards any issues it might end up having. Especially since bikes are way easier to work on than cars.

E: Buying my FZ6, and then a new battery, fork seals, plugs, set of pilot road 4s, injector cleaner, brake pads, etc was still cheaper than what a dealer would have charged. If you're comfortable doing your own work, private sale is the way to go.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 21, 2014

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Do y'all think a 2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650 with just under 70k miles is worth 4k? Looks in great shape but I don't know poo poo about bikes other than the tires are new looking.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rizuhbull posted:

Do y'all think a 2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650 with just under 70k miles is worth 4k? Looks in great shape but I don't know poo poo about bikes other than the tires are new looking.

No. That's way too much for 70k miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

rizuhbull posted:

Unless there's a ton of well-done and valuable aftermarket stuff on it, that's like $1000 too high. While the Stroms handle high mileage pretty well compared to a lot of other bikes, 70k is still getting up there.