Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A tank for one of those should be pretty easy to find if you're worried about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've never seen headers melt a fender before. Gs500s are good bikes... personally I'd skip that one, it's a little bit too smashed up imo. Like just the damaged fairings would be ok, but the headlight's crooked, housings shattered, etc... Lemme take a look through your CL and see if there's anything nice in your area.

do you know anyone that rides who'd be willing to come along with you to check out a bike?

this is good: https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/4706915677.html

lmao a pregen ninja 250 "this bike will do 100mph" calm down guy

hahaha For Sale: A Guy and His Mustache

M42 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 31, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That GS500 is a great beginner bike and it doesn't seem mechanically compromised. I'd have no problem using it a 1st bike, if it's good enough to pass inspection. The price seem a tad high considering the condition, in my area at least. The Ninja 500 looks very nice as well.

There is a lot of cruiser bashing in this thread. Most entry level cruisers have an actual standard sitting position, although suspension travel criticism is definitely warranted. As someone who started on a "cruiser", I'd recommend you learn on a standard and then test ride as many bikes as possible to figure out what it is you truly want.

The Shadow RS you previously linked is a standard bike through and through.
Edit: that is with simulated clip on bars. Original bars will keep your back upright.

Better example of standard sitting position
http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/g..._DI_NOISSES_PMT

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 31, 2014

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A 2001 bike, in Texas, with 3500 miles? That sounds like the definition of garage queen to me; ~300 miles per year.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Is there any reason this 2012 honda CB1000R is so cheap? It seems like a pretty dope bike and this one is brand new and only $7,800 http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-Honda-CB1000R-110844431
I can't find too much info on them and I've never actually seen one in the wild.

I'm looking to upgrade my '07 FZ6 and was looking at a street triple R, FZ09, Monster 821, Z1000, or maybe a supermoto. Anything else I should be looking at I can't think of? Budget is 6-10k, preferably on the low side. I basically want a naked standard thats going to have more balls than my FZ6.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That CB is old stock. I don't buy the 1 mile if they have that many photos of it assmebled, I bet it has a few thousand demo miles on it but they can still sell it "as new" aka never registered.

Naked standard in the 6-10k range? Tuono!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Koruthaiolos posted:

I think it's better in the DC metro area for whatever reason.

Urban areas are going to have more people using a motorcycle as a transportation appliance first due to lack of parking options, traffic, etc.

I'd guess that around 10% of the bikes I see in SF are cruisers, because people are actually using them to get around on. (Probably 50% are scooters.)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Urban areas are going to have more people using a motorcycle as a transportation appliance first due to lack of parking options, traffic, etc.

I'd guess that around 10% of the bikes I see in SF are cruisers, because people are actually using them to get around on. (Probably 50% are scooters.)

Same is true in NYC. Despite seeing way more cruisers parked outside my building, almost everything on the street is not a cruiser. Based on serious maths and many hours of professional analytics, I estimate scooters outnumber cruisers 10-1 on the road.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

builds character posted:

Same is true in NYC. Despite seeing way more cruisers parked outside my building, almost everything on the street is not a cruiser. Based on serious maths and many hours of professional analytics, I estimate scooters outnumber cruisers 10-1 on the road.

I've noticed the same thing. Down here it goes Scooters -> Cruisers -> Sport Bikes -> Motorized Bicycles -> Skateboards -> Me.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
+1 on the unscientific uptick, seeing them in burb/slab areas that don't seem especially conducive to scooter use. Brave souls.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Ended up buying that Suzuki after the ninja guy was quite squirrley.

I haggled it down quite a bit, too.

Rides great, but I want to find the stock handlebars for it: he put on ones that are lower. Still had a blast riding it home.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If more people commuted on a scooter the USA would be a better place.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
But then nobody would ever wave to anybody.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Upside: lane splitting would quickly be legalized in all 50 states.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

nitrogen posted:

Ended up buying that Suzuki after the ninja guy was quite squirrley.

I haggled it down quite a bit, too.

Rides great, but I want to find the stock handlebars for it: he put on ones that are lower. Still had a blast riding it home.

Sounds like a pretty solid buy

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
What does everyone think about the 2013 vs 2014+ Ninja 1K? Been thinking of trading in my 2012 Street Triple on one (or selling it to buy the other) since I would like ABS and a more comfortable/useful setup for touring. I love the triple, but it's definitely lacking in the luggage department even with a top case on it and luggage + 2up really kills the suspension. I figure if I am going to upgrade the suspension and brakes, might as well go get something else since the price differential shouldn't be too much cash out of pocket.

There are some good deals around on brand new 2013s Ninjas, but I was wondering how much improved the 2014+ are and if anyone thinks the premium is worth it?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Mister Duck posted:

What does everyone think about the 2013 vs 2014+ Ninja 1K? Been thinking of trading in my 2012 Street Triple on one (or selling it to buy the other) since I would like ABS and a more comfortable/useful setup for touring. I love the triple, but it's definitely lacking in the luggage department even with a top case on it and luggage + 2up really kills the suspension. I figure if I am going to upgrade the suspension and brakes, might as well go get something else since the price differential shouldn't be too much cash out of pocket.

There are some good deals around on brand new 2013s Ninjas, but I was wondering how much improved the 2014+ are and if anyone thinks the premium is worth it?

Have you looked at the faired Bandit 1250, the GSX1250FA? Because if you're keen on "a more comfortable/useful setup for touring" it seems like intuitively much better value. Much more practical windshield, better long-distance ergonomics, and a significantly cheaper price would be the main advantages I would think. Probably from most people's perspective the three main disadvantages over the Ninja would be no traction control, significantly less fast (though the Bandit makes more torque than the Kwaka's max at something ludicrously low in the rev range like ~mid 3k and I think gets to 100kph very slightly faster than the Ninja), and pretty goddamn dated styling. But then I think the big Ninja looks like an insectoid alien from some dumb anime so that wouldn't bother me.

I dunno. You've got a lot of options. If it was my money, for your purposes, I wouldn't be thinking about the Ninja is all I'm saying.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Have you looked at the faired Bandit 1250, the GSX1250FA? Because if you're keen on "a more comfortable/useful setup for touring" it seems like intuitively much better value. Much more practical windshield, better long-distance ergonomics, and a significantly cheaper price would be the main advantages I would think. Probably from most people's perspective the three main disadvantages over the Ninja would be no traction control, significantly less fast (though the Bandit makes more torque than the Kwaka's max at something ludicrously low in the rev range like ~mid 3k and I think gets to 100kph very slightly faster than the Ninja), and pretty goddamn dated styling. But then I think the big Ninja looks like an insectoid alien from some dumb anime so that wouldn't bother me.

I dunno. You've got a lot of options. If it was my money, for your purposes, I wouldn't be thinking about the Ninja is all I'm saying.

I think the only thing that puts me off about the bandit is the extra weight. From what I looked up it's ~60 pounds heavier than the Ninja and 70-80 more than the FZ1. I would still be using the bike as a daily commuter as well so I would be concerned about how it felt low speed in traffic. Although no lane splitting so maybe that wouldn't be a huge deal.

But thanks though, for some reason I had overlooked the Bandit as an option. I think because it's not the Bandit here anymore so I just skipped it I think. The price differential could give me a much better luggage setup.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, a search for them used comes up with no results anywhere near me. Although that might be the naming issue, probably have to play around a bit with the searches.

Mister Duck fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 4, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You're stressing the weight too much. 60lbs will be negligible in traffic. I bet you could find a new old stock GSX1250FA at a dealer for a song.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You'll need to budget for non-poo poo suspension on the bandit 1250, figure 2500 or so cause used parts arent gonming to be available.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Hey guys, I posted in here some time ago about an SV650 I was looking at. Aside from having an annoying alarm system that I want to rip out(it's a Scorpio, if that means anything to anyone) I mentioned there were some rust spots on the forks and was warned they could be an issue. I have bought the bike because otherwise it was a really good deal and have managed to get some decent photos of the rust spots. Can you tell me how hosed the forks are?

I probably need to respring them anyway due to my weight, but if it turns out they are basically worthless or a ticking time bomb I may just get the whole lot changed over at once.

These spots are just below the handlebars, right near the top of where you can even start seeing the fork itself.

Click for big:

Right fork:

Left:

The bike as a whole needs a clean and some TLC, but everything else about it seems sound. It passed an MOT two weeks ago, for what that's worth, and the guy who rode it back for me said everything seemed fine and he's been riding for quite a while.

I've also looked at the fluid levels and it seems like they might be high? In the coolant reservoir(I'm assuming, on the right hand side below the seat) I'm not seeing any air despite it being on the side stand. Same is true for the brake fluid reservoir, I shined a light through it and it's yellow through and through, but it looks like it's maxxed. I couldn't get a clear look at the oil due to the position and light in my garage. Please tell me if I'm making mountains out of molehills or something. I can't ride it yet so I'm just looking over stuff and worrying.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

You'll need to budget for non-poo poo suspension on the bandit 1250, figure 2500 or so cause used parts arent gonming to be available.

Where do you get that number from? I can get a full non-poo poo suspension non-second hand setup for about 700 of your finest american green backs.

http://www.hyperonline.nl/contents/nl/p1252_Hyperpro_Streetbox_Suzuki_GSF1250_Bandit_vanaf_2007.html

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Trauma Tank:

Nothing here to get excited about, the right is about average for a bike that's been stored uncovered for a winter, but the left is indicative of a bike that was put away wet. Nevrdull ought to make short work of it. Give this a shot before going to anything more abrasive.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KARMA! posted:

Where do you get that number from? I can get a full non-poo poo suspension non-second hand setup for about 700 of your finest american green backs.

http://www.hyperonline.nl/contents/nl/p1252_Hyperpro_Streetbox_Suzuki_GSF1250_Bandit_vanaf_2007.html

I was under the impression the bandit lines had damper rod forks - did they address that on the new ones? I was thinking cartridge kit for the front and a quality, remote preload adjustable shock for ease of 2up adjustment. Figured about 1kish each plus 500 bucks for labor.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

I was under the impression the bandit lines had damper rod forks - did they address that on the new ones? I was thinking cartridge kit for the front and a quality, remote preload adjustable shock for ease of 2up adjustment. Figured about 1kish each plus 500 bucks for labor.

Huh. I guess 1250 do still have damper rods.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trauma Tank posted:

Hey guys, I posted in here some time ago about an SV650 I was looking at. Aside from having an annoying alarm system that I want to rip out(it's a Scorpio, if that means anything to anyone) I mentioned there were some rust spots on the forks and was warned they could be an issue. I have bought the bike because otherwise it was a really good deal and have managed to get some decent photos of the rust spots. Can you tell me how hosed the forks are?

I probably need to respring them anyway due to my weight, but if it turns out they are basically worthless or a ticking time bomb I may just get the whole lot changed over at once.

These spots are just below the handlebars, right near the top of where you can even start seeing the fork itself.

Click for big:

Right fork:

Left:

The bike as a whole needs a clean and some TLC, but everything else about it seems sound. It passed an MOT two weeks ago, for what that's worth, and the guy who rode it back for me said everything seemed fine and he's been riding for quite a while.

I've also looked at the fluid levels and it seems like they might be high? In the coolant reservoir(I'm assuming, on the right hand side below the seat) I'm not seeing any air despite it being on the side stand. Same is true for the brake fluid reservoir, I shined a light through it and it's yellow through and through, but it looks like it's maxxed. I couldn't get a clear look at the oil due to the position and light in my garage. Please tell me if I'm making mountains out of molehills or something. I can't ride it yet so I'm just looking over stuff and worrying.

Everything on that bike is fine, relax. That water spotting is due to a condition known as 'going outside' and there are numerous non-harmful methods of removing it on this here internet. Not to mention if you keep the bike for any length of time you'll want to throw those forks in the bin anyway :v:

KARMA! posted:

Huh. I guess 1250 do still have damper rods.

Wow this is really, really terrible and has put me off them significantly.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

Wow this is really, really terrible and has put me off them significantly.

Bandits are cheap bieks with great engines, I'm not that surprised honestly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah but practically everything that isn't a cruiser comes with cartridge forks now, cheap bikes included.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Are you saying the bandit isn't a cruiser?

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
I'll have to see if I can find stuff around. A quick check (only 3 or 4 dealers) around here shows no bandits at all and craigslist/cycletrader didn't come up with anything either. In any case, I will probably setup a test ride for anything in the same vein. Does anyone have anything to say on behalf of the FZ1?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Are you saying the bandit isn't a cruiser?

Are you saying a Ulysses isn't a Harley? :monocle:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's the coolest Harley.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

clutchpuck posted:

It's the coolest Harley.

Beg to differ.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
I'm going to go have a look at this Husky Nuda 900 today, because it could very well be an amazingly sweet deal. At 38 thousand kilometres on the clock I'm really, really hoping that everything checks out A-OK. Anything I should look for or ask about regarding its service history in particular?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I'm going to go have a look at this Husky Nuda 900 today, because it could very well be an amazingly sweet deal. At 38 thousand kilometres on the clock I'm really, really hoping that everything checks out A-OK. Anything I should look for or ask about regarding its service history in particular?

The Nuda's got a BMW engine, hasn't it? Might be worthwhile looking for buyers guides to bikes with that engine because the Nuda is stupid rare.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

So how bad of an idea is a Ducati 999 for a second bike, a few track days, and occasional trips for a latte?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/4746663457.html

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slavvy posted:

Are you saying a Ulysses isn't a Harley? :monocle:

There are only two types of bikes in this world, Harley's; and bikes that wanna be Harley's

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marv Hushman posted:

Beg to differ.

You're right, it has a fan for a reason.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

clutchpuck posted:

You're right, it has a fan for a reason.

(I'm just jealous because I'd need a step ladder to get on the drat thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackLaser posted:

So how bad of an idea is a Ducati 999 for a second bike, a few track days, and occasional trips for a latte?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/4746663457.html

It's a great idea but that bike is pretty overpriced.