Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Slavvy posted:

Get back to me when your final drive chain fails :colbert:

Belt drive. If it ever fails, should be 2-3 hours to replace, assuming the pulleys are still in good shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Don't those belts last like 40k miles too?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Teach me to be a dumbass, I meant primary drive :rolleye:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Don't those belts last like 40k miles too?

All over the map. 15-20k at the low end, 30-40k at the high end, outliers on either side. Given that this is HD, this can span 3-4 owners. I think the biggest longevity killers (forum science at work here) are habitually dumping the clutch off the line, taking the belt guards off because Freedom, and frequenting roads with a high debris suckage factor.

Bonus: nondestructive death--by all accounts it just falls away and uses the rear exit.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 21, 2014

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Slavvy posted:

Teach me to be a dumbass, I meant primary drive :rolleye:

Yeah, much like a couch or mattress, there's a big tag in there that says "under penalty of law, not to be removed except by consumer." And since we're all too stupid to know what "consumer" means, this area is off limits.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Elviscat posted:

I'm interested, whereabouts are you located?

New Rochelle, NY (westchester area)

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
At some point in the unspecified future I'm thinking of picking up something supermoto-y and/or dual sport-ish.

The vague idea I have is something that can be converted without extensive difficulty so I could do trails or do urban hooning as I felt the need. I'd want a bike with at least adequate highway manners to get from point to point if I needed to travel a bit to get to someplace particular to ride around. But not necessarily looking at going around the world on this. I've never done any dirt riding but have been planning on taking a road trip to a really good dirt or supermoto school for a while regardless and any actual purchasing decision would be after that.

Main goals here would be general supermoto "stuff" with maybe some forest service roads and maybe overnight/weekend trips around (currently) Washington. I currently commute daily via Ninja 650 as well as some road trips and weekend rides and don't see that changing, this would be a second bike for things the amiable Ninja may not necessarily be suited for.

Aside from the venerable and obvious DRZ, I was kinda thinking of a legalized and converted Yamaha WR450 to get a little more juice and a touch of the modern era. Then I found out that KTM has something thats really got my interest. The 500 EXC enduro.

It's street legal out of the showroom, which helps offset the price premium over the Yamaha. It's also barely past 250 lbs, water cooled, has a 6th gear, and despite having a higher seat height on paper, didnt actually feel as tall as the Yamaha when I checked them both out at the motorcycle show. But the KTM was in a chock and the WR was freestanding, so that may have been misleading a bit as I didn't have to support the KTM while standing. Going supermoto looks like it would basically just require a set of wheels. The KTM enduro line appears fairly well tested with people taking them on races across africa or mexican desert. A little more intense than I would ever plan to really use the thing for. But its totally Ready To Race if that's ever a necessity. KTM sells upgraded fuel tanks and other parts, but probably every other option would have more aftermarket, as its a newish bike. There's also a 350 EXC but I'd be a bit more concerned about its highway manners.

I sat on one at the motorcycle show and definitely liked how it felt over the Yamaha. The DRZ has a certain timeless rugged simplicity charm to it, but there is some appeal in something that's been engineered a bit at some point in 20 years. The KTM is like 50 pounds lighter while being water cooled and definitely up on power.

Is this a good idea or the best idea or the bad idea? Would the 500 EXC be too much or too race-bred for newish offroad rider for dual-sporting? Since some work would have to be done regardless could it be readily tamed with some mapping/tuning? Is there a major flaw here? Would I be able to ride it down to Argentina without it exploding if I decided to?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Someone here will know more than I but I was right on with the KTM until you mentioned Argentina. It's not a matter of if a bike will break down but when. I own a drz400 and a Ktm (a 990 adventure) and I'd much rather be broken down on a drz than a ktm. They're just easier to work on and I'd be afraid of being stuck somewhere on a more exotic bike waiting for parts. That being said I plan on upgrading the drz to a ktm690 super enduro next summer.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
The Argentina thing was a joke. If I was doing one of those adv round the world trips I'd probably get something bulletproof and carburated and reliable and boring like a KLR. But for riding like a dong in murkka it seems like the KTM is fine if well maintained, assuming its not too much of a firebreather for a new dirt rider (albeit one who would be taking a dirt sport riding class first like supermoto school.) Some reviews of some KTMs paints them as a little too hardcore and racebred. But some, even the most unexpected like the superduke 1290, are described as very ridable with just crazy power available.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Sorry:doh: Then in that case if I had the means to jump on the Ktm I'd do it. Don't get me wrong I love my drz, but I wish it was about twice as powerful and had a sixth gear. What are you riding now?

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 26, 2014

tasty food
Apr 29, 2010
You told other people, and I listened!

2000 SV650 13,000 miles, Rode it for the first time today since graduating MSF a few years ago. I had an absolute blast, going to do my commute with it now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tasty food posted:

You told other people, and I listened!

2000 SV650 13,000 miles, Rode it for the first time today since graduating MSF a few years ago. I had an absolute blast, going to do my commute with it now.

Good. Continue.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

kenny powerzzz posted:

Sorry:doh: Then in that case if I had the means to jump on the Ktm I'd do it. Don't get me wrong I love my drz, but I wish it was about twice as powerful and had a sixth gear. What are you riding now?

Ninja 650, street only, year round commute and travel rain or shine, haven't ridden dirt yet

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Ehh you'll be fine then. Just study up on dirt riding methods and tactics and take it easy. You'll have a reason to get all sorts of new gear too. :woop:

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

SLAMMYsosa posted:

What do you guys think of this for a first motorcycle: http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/4757824326.html

I have no idea where all this FI talk came from, but yeah that bike is going to be a total nightmare and my investment plan for that bike would look like $500 initially and a month or two and another $500 to get it to run without immediately killing me and everyone else around it. I am totally with you on the dual sport thing as a first bike, but try to buy something somebody still rides at least.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)
http://i.imgur.com/c9XsgHw.jpg

So an individual is willing to trade this and some cash for a pre-owned BMW. I want to know what would be an estimated value for this for a friend to flip it? My friend have been dealing with automobiles but never bikes. What's a private seller value for this DUCATI 899 Panigale? Thank you.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

MeaningOfLife posted:

http://i.imgur.com/c9XsgHw.jpg

So an individual is willing to trade this and some cash for a pre-owned BMW. I want to know what would be an estimated value for this for a friend to flip it? My friend have been dealing with automobiles but never bikes. What's a private seller value for this DUCATI 899 Panigale? Thank you.

I haven't got a clue, but here is a way to find out. Go and Ebay and search for that same bike with "completed listings" enabled. That will show how much they actually sold for in your area. Asking prices tend to be optimistic

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
That doesn't look like a stock color scheme. Bet it's been wrecked.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)

n8r posted:

That doesn't look like a stock color scheme. Bet it's been wrecked.

Could you elaborate on what would the stock colors are? Also this is a 2014 DUCATI 899 Panigale as I'm being told.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They made a white one, but not with those neon wheels/passenger pegs/bar ends. Google will show you what a stock one looks like, they've only been out for a year or so.

Value for bikes is super dependent on a lot of poo poo, but I'd say no more than 10k-ish value for it, simply because you're out of the market for Ducati owners - most aren't going to want a paint scheme like that, it doesn't appear to have any mods of value, and you're taking your friend's time and effort into account. Blue book's going to be higher, list is going to be higher, you might offer him a bit more if you were ok with the bike sitting on a lot somewhere for awhile. You could probably sell it for 13 or so given enough time, but you're going into the bad season for bikes and again - it's a rare ducati owner that's going to want that paint scheme.

(all of this is assuming that the bike is otherwise low mileage (under 5k), well taken care of, maintenance records, and not an ex-trackbike or some poo poo)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 29, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
First thought when I saw it was "track bike". I'd get it *very* carefully looked over by someone who knows bikes before touching it.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

for sale posted:

I have no idea where all this FI talk came from, but yeah that bike is going to be a total nightmare and my investment plan for that bike would look like $500 initially and a month or two and another $500 to get it to run without immediately killing me and everyone else around it. I am totally with you on the dual sport thing as a first bike, but try to buy something somebody still rides at least.

Oh, he updated listing since I went and looked at it. His asking price was 1000, he didn't have the title, it turned over but wouldn't start and there was a substantial crack in the carburator sealed with what looked like clear latex caulking. Classic craigslist.

My friend's dad has a 97 dr650 that he wants a grand for and still actually rides. So I'm gonna go that route I think.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

SLAMMYsosa posted:

My friend's dad has a 97 dr650 that he wants a grand for and still actually rides. So I'm gonna go that route I think.

That's a good option, drs are pretty rad and parts are cheap.

I don't know if anybody has said anything to you yet but when I was buying my KLR I had two bike guys tell me 650ccs was way too much power and I was going to kill myself because they had no experience with a single cylinder thumper. I had zero experience with bikes at the time and that kind of freaked me out. I couldn't imagine having any less power now, don't be scared about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Buy that bike. If you want a dirtbikey kind of thing that's a pretty good first bike. They're pretty tall and heavy for what they are but they're reliable and slow (which is a good thing).

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Agreed, as a newbie rider, my 500cc is just fine. I had 2 people tell me that anything bigger than a 250 would instantly kill me, and then I had 2 others tell me to get something 750 < 250 and less than 650lbs and i'd be golden.

Strangely enough, when my MSF course instructur basically said the latter (as long as you use everything I teach you, you can ride a 1000cc hayabusa safely) thats when I decided to stop worrying.

500cc seems to be a nice sweet spot. Plenty of power and speed to have fun for me as a newbie at least.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The size of the bike doesn't really have anything to do with anything, aside from the sheer weight of the larger bikes making low speed movement tricky. If you ride exactly as you're taught and never break the law you can ride anything and you'll be safe. The problem is the lack of judgement on when to use your busapower and the lack of skill and experience needed to avoid crashing when things get out of hand. A slower bike takes the decision out of your poorly trained hands by just not having much power to begin with.

Horsepower/cc is just a shorthand way of telling people what to do because explaining it properly is time consuming and usually falls on deaf ears.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Hamfisting the throttle on a 125cc: "oops"
Hamfisting the throttle on a 1000cc supersport: "..." (You can't say anything because you just launched yourself into the tropopause.)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Hamfisting the throttle on a 1 to 2L cruiser: "Was that slower than last time or is it just me?"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Hamfisting the throttle on a 125cc: "oops"
Hamfisting the throttle on a 1000cc supersport: "..." (You can't say anything because you just launched yourself into the tropopause.)

Hamfisting the throttle on something with TC: WHEEEEEEEEEEEE

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Hamfisting the throttle on a 1 to 2L cruiser: "Was that slower than last time or is it just me?"

Yeah because it's heat-soaked from the last time :v:

Z3n posted:

Hamfisting the throttle on something with TC: WHEEEEEEEEEEEE *fixates and understeers into a ditch*

FTFY.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

nitrogen posted:

Agreed, as a newbie rider, my 500cc is just fine. I had 2 people tell me that anything bigger than a 250 would instantly kill me, and then I had 2 others tell me to get something 750 < 250 and less than 650lbs and i'd be golden.

Strangely enough, when my MSF course instructur basically said the latter (as long as you use everything I teach you, you can ride a 1000cc hayabusa safely) thats when I decided to stop worrying.

500cc seems to be a nice sweet spot. Plenty of power and speed to have fun for me as a newbie at least.

My instructor told me the same thing and also put it as "it will only go as fast as you pull twist the throttle". I started a couple months ago on an SV650 and I've never once felt it was too powerful for me.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nitrogen posted:

1000cc hayabusa
I'd like to see one of those, must be rare.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Probably a learner, so it is restricted.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Oh, what's a 300 cc difference between friends?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh dear.

I swear this happens every loving time I go into a new market. It's only 30 miles away but I don't have a trailer and I doubt the seller does either. :(

e/ in case the link doesn't work it's a 2011 13k YBR125 for £400

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 2, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
"2011 Yamaha YBR 125 motorcycle in full working order and drives well"

30 miles? Unless there's a foot of snow on the ground, I don't see the problem.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
a) how do I got insurance

b) I have no road experience with gears (only an hour of pissing around in a car park)

e/ Huh, I thought all trailers were licence restricted here, turns out anything under 750kg is fine on a vanilla car licence. I'll look into renting one. :toot:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 2, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

a) how do I got insurance

b) I have no road experience with gears (only an hour of pissing around in a car park)

e/ Huh, I thought all trailers were licence restricted here, turns out anything under 750kg is fine on a vanilla car licence. I'll look into renting one. :toot:

Most insurance companies will have a window after purchase where you're automatically covered on new purchases. I'd call and see, and if not, just call your representative on the spot and have them insure it. Road is the same as a car park, except the cars are moving. Not a big deal at all.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Ad taken down, guess he flogged it to someone who could just walk it home. Oh well :v:

While I'm here, how are Korean bikes generally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Renaissance Robot posted:

Ad taken down, guess he flogged it to someone who could just walk it home. Oh well :v:

Or more likely ride it.