Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you're too big for a cruiser you're hitting your knees with the handlebar. I also wouldn't wish a Rebel on anybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

All I really had to do was replace a bunch of seals (like all of them) and rebuild the carbs. Best bike I've ever owned.

This is kind of what I was referencing. Doing all that plus replacing tires, chain, battery, and possibly hoses to save a few hundred bucks isn't something I'd recommend for a first timer.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't imagine it would save a few hundred bucks in the end anyhow.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Yeah, I've only ever really made a profit on one bike that I fixed up from an extremely neglected state. IMO it only makes sense if you're looking for a particular bike or if you can get it extremely cheap in the first place.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

AncientTV posted:

Yeah, I've only ever really made a profit on one bike that I fixed up from an extremely neglected state. IMO it only makes sense if you're looking for a particular bike or if you can get it extremely cheap in the first place.

Or you live in a place where bikes are very expensive and bike mechanics are rare and very inaccessible in which case you can make a tidy profit on all sorts of poo poo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

I don't imagine it would save a few hundred bucks in the end anyhow.

I spent like maybe $50 on seals and hoses, another $100 on a k&n and jet kit, <$100 on oil (including fork oil and brake fluid), and $150 for a set of Michelin Pilot Sports on super-sale.
$1800 for the bike and another $400 on maintenance (most of which needs to be done at least seasonally anyway) is a pretty good deal.

But yeah... maybe not a project for everyone.

Edit: gently caress I forgot the battery.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What are the thoughts on a mid 80s Honda XL600R? I am about to make a spur of the moment deal for what I think great price for the land of overpriced bikes but want a reality check before I take the plunge.

I've got the big C14 for highway trips and comfort, but the idea of a dual purpose has some appeal and I can't seem myself spending $thousands$ on a toy that I am not sure how often I'll use.

Reliable? Is parts availability an issue?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They're pretty reliable, XRs Only (in the US) should have any parts you need. I had one for just that purpose, screwed around with it for awhile, had fun. The single cylinder dual carb thing is sorta weird, but should be fine as long as it runs ok when you get it.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Picking up my Duke in 2 hours. Looking forward to the inevitable stall from the shop.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Lilbeefer posted:

Picking up my Duke in 2 hours. Looking forward to the inevitable stall from the shop.

As a current custodian of a medium Duke and a ye olde Super Duke, I say excellent choice. Orange bieks all round!

(Familyportrait.jpeg)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Looks like I may be picking up a brand spanking new CB1100 this week. Always liked them, and now found a leftover '14 for thousands less. The insurance quote between now and 2013 has changed by more than 200%, believe it or not. Too bad it's not an ABS model.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've moved back to Melbourne from overseas and want a motorbike again. (Before I left I thought I might have been able to afford one in London - lol.)

I had a beloved Bonneville which I sold before I left, a low mileage 2003 which initially cost me $8300. I would buy one again in a heartbeat but I only have about $5000 to play with and in any case there's no second-hand models for sale in Melbourne right now.

So I'm looking at getting a lesser bike to tide me over until I have more money and/or something comes on the market, but I have no idea what. I really hate the look of most modern standard bikes (you know, the curves, hence why I was a Bonneville rider). I wouldn't mind going back to 250/450 dirtbikes if I found the right one, like maybe a DR650 or something, but a lot of them seem to be right up there on the $5000 mark and for a second-hand dual sport that's five years old or whatever I'd really prefer to pay less.

I have found this, though, which is a start-up Australian brand which I love the look of and which is $4000 brand new:

http://www.braaapmotorcycles.com/Mercury-Cafe-Racer_p_5570.html

I suspect it might be a little small for a man of six foot like myself, but I'll go take one for a test ride soon anyway. But are there any general issues with buying a non-legacy brand? Would it be harder to resell? I just feel suspicious about it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That looks suspiciously like http://clevelandcyclewerks.com/ccwbikes-1/ in the US. Which is a lovely Chinese bike that the hipster reseller applies their decal on. Some hilariously fall apart in under 3k miles.

Check out Suzuki tu250 which is a similar looking bike, but is pretty bulletproof and has better performance and aftermarket support.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nitrox posted:

That looks suspiciously like http://clevelandcyclewerks.com/ccwbikes-1/ in the US. Which is a lovely Chinese bike that the hipster reseller applies their decal on. Some hilariously fall apart in under 3k miles.

Check out Suzuki tu250 which is a similar looking bike, but is pretty bulletproof and has better performance and aftermarket support.

Please buy a tw200 (not a tu250). Please do not take it on the highway.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
Buy a $2k AUD Ninja 250 (plenty in Melbourne), strip off fairings and spend $4-500 cleaning it up into a fairly unique and pretty standard bike. Better specs (and insurance!) than the Bonneville, but less hipster cred.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Nitrox posted:

Still an absolute piece of poo, though.

I rode one from the Gold Coast to Brisbane when the girl I was dating at the time bought one down there but didn't yet have her license. It's pitifully slow, and the world's moved away from that cheapo twin-shock arrangement for a very good reason: it handles like a bag of squashed arseholes.

Freebooter, Bonnevilles aren't exactly world-shattering in terms of excitement, but you'd find a TU250 utterly intolerable if that's what you're used to, and I imagine that piece of Chinese poo poo from braaap will be even worse.

For under five grand, if it was me, I'd buy a beat up old Hornet 900 and be absolutely merciless with it, or maybe even this delicious heap of Italian noisiness, but if you simply must have that ~*Cafe Racer*~ aesthetic, then you can still do much better than a TU250, much less some off-brand nonsense made from the cheapest possible parts.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's not so much about the cafe racer aesthetic, just the general older aesthetic. I'm one of those people who thinks bikes stopped looking good somewhere in the 1980s.

Like, that '78 CB looks great and I would go check it out in a heartbeat... except I have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever and I feel like it's unwise for me to buy anything more than about 15 years old or with too many k's on it. (Also the reason I passed up a Royal Enfield going for 3,500 down the road from me.) But maybe this is also a reason not to buy an off-brand thing made of Chinese parts...

I like the '97 SRV250 though, which seems like it has pretty low k's. And two of those others you posted are from the same dealership as the Mercury so I might just head up there today and poke around. Thanks!

Isolationist posted:

Buy a $2k AUD Ninja 250 (plenty in Melbourne), strip off fairings and spend $4-500 cleaning it up into a fairly unique and pretty standard bike. Better specs (and insurance!) than the Bonneville, but less hipster cred.

I'd do this in a heartbeat if I actually knew what I was doing. I'm not wedded to Bonnevilles or anything, I just like the look of older bikes, and they're one of the only high capacity kinds which are actually new and also in my price range.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ugh, those GB400s (and 500s) look so goooooood. That's one for my stable someday.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Still an absolute piece of poo, though.

I rode one from the Gold Coast to Brisbane when the girl I was dating at the time bought one down there but didn't yet have her license. It's pitifully slow, and the world's moved away from that cheapo twin-shock arrangement for a very good reason: it handles like a bag of squashed arseholes.

Freebooter, Bonnevilles aren't exactly world-shattering in terms of excitement, but you'd find a TU250 utterly intolerable if that's what you're used to, and I imagine that piece of Chinese poo poo from braaap will be even worse.

For under five grand, if it was me, I'd buy a beat up old Hornet 900 and be absolutely merciless with it, or maybe even this delicious heap of Italian noisiness, but if you simply must have that ~*Cafe Racer*~ aesthetic, then you can still do much better than a TU250, much less some off-brand nonsense made from the cheapest possible parts.

I was about to defend the tu250, but nevermind, you guys have an awesome selection of sub 400cc bikes! Seriously, don't get a Chinese garbage bike.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

freebooter posted:

I've moved back to Melbourne from overseas and want a motorbike again. (Before I left I thought I might have been able to afford one in London - lol.)

I had a beloved Bonneville which I sold before I left, a low mileage 2003 which initially cost me $8300. I would buy one again in a heartbeat but I only have about $5000 to play with and in any case there's no second-hand models for sale in Melbourne right now.

So I'm looking at getting a lesser bike to tide me over until I have more money and/or something comes on the market, but I have no idea what. I really hate the look of most modern standard bikes (you know, the curves, hence why I was a Bonneville rider). I wouldn't mind going back to 250/450 dirtbikes if I found the right one, like maybe a DR650 or something, but a lot of them seem to be right up there on the $5000 mark and for a second-hand dual sport that's five years old or whatever I'd really prefer to pay less.

I have found this, though, which is a start-up Australian brand which I love the look of and which is $4000 brand new:

http://www.braaapmotorcycles.com/Mercury-Cafe-Racer_p_5570.html

I suspect it might be a little small for a man of six foot like myself, but I'll go take one for a test ride soon anyway. But are there any general issues with buying a non-legacy brand? Would it be harder to resell? I just feel suspicious about it.

I learnt that it is best to not ask this section of AI about retro looking bikes, or even retro bikes. I also checked out the Braaaaaaaaaaap and it certainly looked interesting. The engine is made in Japan and the bike is assembled in Austsralia. lovely name aside, it looked like ridiculous value. I have ridden it but have not heard an other first hand reports about it. I thought it felt pretty good in the 15 minutes I drove it... for the price...
everything I have read about it indicates it is average quality more then made up for by the price. A shop around the corner from me (Mid Life Cycles, Cremorne) has them and offer an engine upgrade and heaps of modifications. The company itself seem to encourage people customising them.

But like I said, by asking in here you are going to be called a stupid hipster scum that deserves to die or something.

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 28, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Lilbeefer posted:

I learnt that it is best to not ask this section of AI about retro looking bikes, or even retro bikes. I also checked out the Braaaaaaaaaaap and it certainly looked interesting. The engine is made in Japan and the bike is assembled in Austsralia. lovely name aside, it looked like ridiculous value. I have ridden it but have not heard an other first hand reports about it. I thought it felt pretty good in the 15 minutes I drove it... for the price...
everything I have read about it indicates it is average quality more then made up for by the price. A shop around the corner from me (Mid Life Cycles, Cremorne) has them and offer an engine upgrade and heaps of modifications. The company itself seem to encourage people customising them.

But like I said, by asking in here you are going to be called a stupid hipster scum that deserves to die or something.

You sound bitter about something. Did you ask whether or not a snowflake 30-40yr old Honda that was only made for 2 years would be a good starter bike and get dumped on for it?

Nobody cares about ~hipster scum~, but braaap is made in China dude. Buying super cheap Chinese import bikes is a terrible idea on several levels. poo poo breaks a lot, glhf with documentation, getting parts, and enjoy your dealer network.
As for "retro bikes", we're still (for now) in an unfortunate situation where your only choices are old snowflake Honda with unobtanium parts and terrible technology, underpowered bikes like the TU250, and overpriced bikes like the SR400 (it has a drum brake :wtc:). If you want to stroke your retro boner then either go buy a Bonneville or spend 5-15 grand getting/fixing a 70's bike with bad suspension and even worse brakes.

e: The most positive review I've found about Braaap was one that said "After the first ride it wouldn't start because some of the wiring worked itself loose. 6000km after that no issues". Everything else is just "Cheap re-badged Chinabike", "the 250 does 100km/h on flat road", and "lol they only have one single bike with a 'Japanese' motor from an unheard of company".

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 28, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Hey guys I have designed a brand new, authentic, Made In America motorcycle.

My company (myself and my roommate) have sourced Swedish designed Husqvarna 2-stroke motors out of the shed I keep gardening tools in, and have combined them with premium american designed Trek bicycle parts for that authentic "Oh poo poo what the gently caress what am I doing" experience.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
People do poo poo with bikes that no person would do with a car. Who would ever buy a car from a company you've never ever heard of for a dirt cheap price just because it LOOKS RETRO and HAS MODS?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

freebooter posted:

Like, that '78 CB looks great and I would go check it out in a heartbeat... except I have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever and I feel like it's unwise for me to buy anything more than about 15 years old or with too many k's on it.

Yeah, that would have been my pick. Can't hurt to go check it out. If it's been as well looked-after as the seller says (not certain, but certainly plausible) then there's no reason why it should be temperamental nor especially expensive to maintain. I know gently caress all about wrenching myself, but I wouldn't be afraid to fiddle about a bit on one of these a little bit, especially if it comes with a good service manual. I can't imagine the SRV250 would be any easier, now that I think about it.

These were exceptionally good bikes in their day, and if it's actually got a bunch of appropriate new parts and good wiring and all the rest, you really shouldn't let its age intimidate you. I reckon it'd be an absolute gas.

Lilbeefer posted:

This is such bullshit. Before I ever even started riding I asked for advice on this very forum, liking the exact same old timey aesthetic as Freebooter and got plenty of helpful responses. Nobody here hates old bikes: just lovely bikes, and especially lovely bikes that try to capitalise on the fact that old bike aesthetics are currently in vogue by ripping off the innocent.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 28, 2015

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Marxalot posted:

As for "retro bikes", we're still (for now) in an unfortunate situation where your only choices are old snowflake Honda with unobtanium parts and terrible technology, underpowered bikes like the TU250, and overpriced bikes like the SR400 (it has a drum brake :wtc:). If you want to stroke your retro boner then either go buy a Bonneville or spend 5-15 grand getting/fixing a 70's bike with bad suspension and even worse brakes.

He's in Australia, they have an obscene amount of older quality UJM bikes available. I'm green with envy about those GB400's posted earlier

Smudgie Buggler posted:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Marxalot posted:

You sound bitter about something. Did you ask whether or not a snowflake 30-40yr old Honda that was only made for 2 years would be a good starter bike and get dumped on for it?

I did this. I have no regrets. :colbert:

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
I've held off on upgrading my 06 gs500 before now due to financial uncertainties, but I've saved up $8k specifically for a new bike and I'm ready to get myself a nice Christmas present. I enjoy fast, sporty bikes, either naked or faired (dream bike is the Tuono or Superduke GT). Must-haves are fuel injection, not being older than my current bike, and being noticeably more fast/fun. I'd also love ABS due to Seattle, but that might not be possible at my price point. It also needs to reachable by bus from downtown Seattle, as my current bike is my only transportation.

I'm considering these options, could you guys give me your opinions?
'06 R1 $6500
'09 R1 $8500 <-- white bike best bike
'09 FZ6R $5000
'07 R1 $6500
'11 FZ8 $4800

(they're all Yamaha just cause it's what I saw, no particular preference)

Or if some bored goon wants to look through my local Craigslist for better picks, that'd be awesome.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EkardNT posted:

I've held off on upgrading my 06 gs500 before now due to financial uncertainties, but I've saved up $8k specifically for a new bike and I'm ready to get myself a nice Christmas present. I enjoy fast, sporty bikes, either naked or faired (dream bike is the Tuono or Superduke GT). Must-haves are fuel injection, not being older than my current bike, and being noticeably more fast/fun. I'd also love ABS due to Seattle, but that might not be possible at my price point. It also needs to reachable by bus from downtown Seattle, as my current bike is my only transportation.

I'm considering these options, could you guys give me your opinions?
'06 R1 $6500
'09 R1 $8500 <-- white bike best bike
'09 FZ6R $5000
'07 R1 $6500
'11 FZ8 $4800

(they're all Yamaha just cause it's what I saw, no particular preference)

Or if some bored goon wants to look through my local Craigslist for better picks, that'd be awesome.

I might have a bias http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5302316166.html

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
That does look like a nice bike, but it's a bit (way) too far for me.

Edit: actually that looks like the perfect bike to last me until the super duke comes out, and a road trip sound fun...

EkardNT fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 28, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I did this. I have no regrets. :colbert:

You're a special case.

Most people see the puddle of poo, lift their trousers and skip across on tip-toes as quick as possible. You dive in head first and roll around, revelling in every moment.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011

Check your texts.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You're all over the place with bikes there. Don't buy an R1 older than 09.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EkardNT posted:

Check your texts.

It's not mine, I just bought a VFR I posted earlier in the thread

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PCOS Bill posted:

It's not mine, I just bought a VFR I posted earlier in the thread

good man.

post pics.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
2014 Triumph Street Triple R - 7.2k - http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5310401325.html
2010 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR - 8.5k - http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5329267568.html
2013 Yamaha FZ1 - 6k - http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/5330759943.html

Man, if I lived up there i'd be buying the gently caress out of this http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5320414432.html

If this guy was asking more like $4.5k I'd be over there talking him down on price since I can flash the immo out of used 848/1098+ ECUs and flash 999 software onto them. Ah well. He's looking at well over a grand through a dealer.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/5333506861.html

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 28, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Having never ridden an R1, how come? They're meant to be pretty solid, albeit porky, AFAIK.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Having never ridden an R1, how come?

The motor. I just don't think the older R1s are special at all.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

BlackMK4 posted:

Don't get an FZ6R either. The old FZ6 was just an upright R6 minus a fairing that sacrificed a couple horsepower (95bhp?) for a torque or two. The FZ6R took that, gave it a sportier look and riding position, then dropped it down to like 70bhp. It can be/would be a better 'beginner sportbike' if it was cheaper.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

The motor. I just don't think the older R1s are special at all.

Oh I see. They're not ~*special*~ but still a literbike. I'd take one over a blade or gixxer just because it isn't a Honda or Suzuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011

Thanks! The striple was damaged but going to look at the fz1 Monday.