Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Shadowlz posted:

So whats the deal with Katanas? Beside being ugly do they have anything going for them?

They're cheap and disposable.
Great starter bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Shadowlz posted:

So whats the deal with Katanas? Beside being ugly do they have anything going for them?
"They're a tool for hitting people"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLWzH_1eZsc

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shadowlz posted:

You need to know your good katanas from your bad katanas.

Cheap flea market imitation garbage:

Finest Hanzo steel:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I rode a '97 750 for a few weeks. It was terrible. Even the taillight is terrible. Worst bike.

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

What kinda fucked up tour is this?
Stupid question,

How bad is it to buy a dropped bike as my first bike, considering I'll probably drop it anyway....

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
In a vacuum it isn't a bad idea. In real life it can range from not bad at all to "why did you buy a bike with a cracked frame?"

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

I rode a '97 750 for a few weeks. It was terrible. Even the taillight is terrible. Worst bike.

There's reasons nobody likes the Can-A-tuna.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

getfuct posted:

Stupid question,

How bad is it to buy a dropped bike as my first bike, considering I'll probably drop it anyway....

Depends on how badly it was dropped and what damage was done.

alr
May 14, 2009

getfuct posted:

Stupid question,

Dropped as in, 0 km/h, fell over in the driveway? Fine as long as like, the levers aren't bent and the indicators weren't snapped. When I was looking at used bikes "dropped" could mean anything from driveway drop to a lovely repair/paint job on a bike that very obviously had multiple lowsides through its life. Depending on where you live make absolutely sure there are no cracks in the fairing as some insurance companies will just flat out refuse you on the spot.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Shadowlz posted:

I'll fight you.

Slavvy posted:

Finest Hanzo steel:

Hnnnnggg

Seriously thinking of getting either the 250 or 400 when i pass my full test and move on from my little 125 :allears:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I'll admit the old Katana looks awesome. I normally don't like the look of old bikes with their cyborg headlights and goofy fairing designs but that one really comes together.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Going to check out a few bikes this week in SoCal as I just moved and renting a car is getting expensive. What should I look for in an F4i with low miles? What about a monster 696, are those worth buying? Cheers friends

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Both are good bikes, the monster has the usual Ducati caveats. F4i has the usual Honda r/r caveats.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Going to check out a few bikes this week in SoCal as I just moved and renting a car is getting expensive. What should I look for in an F4i with low miles? What about a monster 696, are those worth buying? Cheers friends

Hopefully el niño actually shows face, you'll get a better deal on bikes in the "rainy season"

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Well now that I'm in the market again I'm trying to figure out not what I want but rather what I need.

What I want is something like my former motorcycle, a VMAX, a R1200RS, etc.

But what do i need for a 30 min commute in the bay area that also includes urban, highway and switchback riding?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

ElMaligno posted:

Well now that I'm in the super again I'm trying to figure out not what I want but rather what I duke.

What I want is Super like my former motorcycle, a Duke, a R1200RS, etc.

But what do i need for a 30 min SUPER in the bay area that also includes urban, DUKE and switchback riding?

I think you're trying to tell us something.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

captainOrbital posted:

I think you're trying to tell us something.

No joke, i was on Livermore and they had a super duke the floorshow. It being a naked bike is holding me back... Barely...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A Ulysses is a fabulous urban/highway/switchback bike. For the price of a Super Duke you could have one for every day of the week.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Does a Ulysses have automatic wheelie control? I don't think so. :colbert:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

No joke, i was on Livermore and they had a super duke the floorshow. It being a naked bike is holding me back... Barely...

https://www.ktm.com/sports-tourer/1290-super-duke-gt/?color=GREY

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
One of the dealer reps at the motorcycle show in Chicago told me that KTM isn't bringing the SD GT to the States for the 2016 MY.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

captainOrbital posted:

One of the dealer reps at the motorcycle show in Chicago told me that KTM isn't bringing the SD GT to the States for the 2016 MY.

What a bunch of idiots, I bet that thing outsells the normal SD 2:1.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Well it seems I'm going to hold on buying a bike for a while. Its either going to be that or a R1200RS. Or I may go hella cheaper and go for a Supermoto, like a DRZ400SM or a KTM 690SM.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

Does a Ulysses have automatic wheelie control? I don't think so. :colbert:

My wrist is pretty automatic. You don't ride a Ulysses if you're trying to control wheelies.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
What you need is a super duke. Obviously.

Second choice is the new husky 701 supermoto.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
There's also the distinguished man option of the S1000XR. Mine just rolled 8k, it owns. SF BMW has a demo bike.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

There's also the distinguished man option of the S1000XR. Mine just rolled 8k, it owns. SF BMW has a demo bike.

I heard those bikes vibrate too much. No thanks. :smuggo:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

A MIRACLE posted:

Not exactly the same bike but I have a Monster 1100, and it's been rock solid for me. However, before looking into one check the mileage, as they're supposed to have a valve adjustment and belt check at 7,500 miles, then a valve adjustment and belt replacement at 15k. Some people will see that coming up and dump the bike on the market to avoid paying a dealer for it.

The valve check honesty isn't difficult outside of getting to the top cylinder (I let Mark at the Ducshop of Atlanta do mine because I still didn't have my full tool suite up and running at the time, dude does amazing work on the air-cooled motors and I'd ask him to wake the motor up some more if I weren't poor) but the belt adjustment and replacement requires you to, no poo poo, use a guitar tuner and pluck the friggin' thing to determine the pitch and therefore tightness. Ducs also throw the dogbone indicator on the dash and you need a special computer to turn it off. Thanks, Italy. :mad:

That said, it's all worth it for the L-twin sound. Nothing better than pulling up beside a dude in an SUV and watching him :qq: in envy.

Edit: forgot the worst part about the valve adjustment - if you do need new spacers, you'll have to order them and wait for them, unless you know of a dealer nearby that stocks them. However, Mark told me that due to the "relaxed" nature of the Monster motors, they tend not to go too far out of alignment unless abused.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 17, 2016

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Just buy whatever.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Z3n posted:

Wait, do you have S1000XR and SuperDuke 1290?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Shimrod posted:

This is correct, Zthreen has good taste in bikes.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Ok, so I just snagged a new job, which means I'll take a week or so off in between and have some time to do a fly and ride.

Now I'm pretty torn, but I want either a 990 superduke or 07+ tuono (leaning towards the duke).

I know I know, I should spend more on an S1000R/RR/XR or bike with electronics, but I really don't want to spend more than 4-6k, I'm not sure if I want another Japanese supersport right now. My R1 was insanely fun, but I want something I can do touring on, since I have a full set of cortech softbags.

I also picked up a shiny new arai helmet and some freeze out layers, so I should be able to brave the ride back to NYC from wherever I go.

So I'm looking at either http://terrehaute.craigslist.org/mcy/5441530482.html superduke
or
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Xtreme-Powersports-2904054/listing/2007-Aprilia-Tuono-1000-R-116432251 tuono

There are a few other superdukes I have found around the country for around 6k, so I have some options.

I just really, really don't want to take a loan out. If I did I would get a bmw in a heartbeat, but I'm just about completely 100% debt free and I really want to keep it that way.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

You need to know your good katanas from your bad katanas.

Cheap flea market imitation garbage:

Finest Hanzo steel:

Unpopular opinion: I like the first one. Would get the 750.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

This is correct, Zthreen has good taste in bikes.

When did he get the BMW? What a lucky bastard.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Shimrod posted:

Late last year in his project thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725633&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post450708660

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Revvik posted:

:frogout: but with the frog wearing a motorcycle helmet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shimrod posted:

They complement each other nicely!

Shimrod posted:

I wrote a review on it here :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725633&pagenumber=2

Edit: That'll teach me to leave the reply open for 3 hours.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Revvik posted:

When I was first starting to be interested in motorcycles, I went to a motorcycle show to have a look around, and that's when I saw her. KATANA. Bright yellow, curvy and bulgy in all the wrong places... I thought it was the hottest looking thing at the show.

We were all young and dumb once.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

When I was first starting to be interested in motorcycles, I went to a motorcycle show to have a look around, and that's when I saw her. KATANA. Bright yellow, curvy and bulgy in all the wrong places... I thought it was the hottest looking thing at the show.

We were all young and dumb once.

When I was a wee squiddun I saw a ducati paso off in the distance and thought it was the best looking bike I'd ever seen.

Before I got into bikes I thought the original 955 daytona was a phenomenal piece of styling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Z3n posted:

They complement each other nicely!

I wrote a review on it here :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725633&pagenumber=2

Edit: That'll teach me to leave the reply open for 3 hours.

I need to sit on a S1000XR as I have already sat on a R1200RS, a F800GS, and a Superduke.

I only mention the F800GS because that bike was a bit to tall for me, manageable but still noticeable. Dunno if the S1000XR is taller.

So far it seems I may go for a R1200RS, but we'll see...