Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Coydog posted:

lops, it turns your dim terrible rectangle headlight into like... the sun. It's a cheap upgrade. That doesn't change the look of the bike, and will be all you really need.
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

Does this take any skill to install, or a soldering iron or whatever, or are we talking Lego-level?

quote:

There are also amazing horns for like $50, so that would be good too.

Any specific recommendations that are plug-n-play on a TW200? I just want more volume and less blippy; *insert All About That Bass joke*

quote:

Be careful, you are already on the road to infinite farkles.

Nah, I don't think it's that bad. Handguards are $50, headlight $65, horn $50. Though I have heard that improved seat cover/pad on the stock pan are way more comfy and oh my god I can turn this into a moneypit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Stop making me look up tdub stuff and pictures of tdubs. I have a hard enough time resisting buying one of those in my day to day without your help.

Cyclops LED is a direct replacement for your H4 bulb. You pull the bulb out, put that in, and plug the bikes plug into the LED bulb's socket. Zip tie wires away so it's pretty. Done. No fabbing or skill required.

For horns, this is a good one. I've not upgraded any of mine because the fey horn beep still gets attention, and embarrasses anyone on the receiving end. On my sumo, I just blip the throttle instead of using the horn. Or not be in the bad place to begin with, you know.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/denali-soundbomb-compact-air-horn

No, the farkling doesn't seem bad. It's just the hand guards, headlight, horn, that rack because you know it's gonna bug you that you don't have that protection (plus it looks survivor rad). Then you will think maybe you should get a proper bash plate or engine guard, since you have been trying out light off road (you will do this). Then you will want to get some of these aux flood lights, because why the hell not they are so cheap (me today :( ):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPF3CCS/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then, you think, I need some rok straps for that rear rack. And a rotopax would be really cool to have along with me. And a usb charger is only ten dollars and I could charge my phone. And. And. And.

And if you give a mouse a cookie, he will ask for a glass of milk...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
You need some Rok Straps for that rack.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

If I didn't just spend $3000 on getting my truck fixed, I'd be flying out for this.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If I didn't just spend $3000 on getting my truck fixed, I'd be flying out for this.

I've apparently awakened the f4i hunger inside you. :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Is it a unique model or something? $4000 for a 10 year old Honda Nuprin bike seems like a lot.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
About to go get my TW200 inspected and plated; USAA doesn't do TX but I got an affiliate hookup for Progressive, now covered with Comprehensive insurance for $77/yr with $3/yr for roadside assistance. Once again being a responsible adult with a cheap, low-powered bike is making my life easy.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Does anyone have any experience/opinions on the Vulcan S? Mainly as a first bike.

I was thinking of adding it to my list of possible bikes, and saw on craigslist a couple of them came up for $5000. One had ABS and one didn't. Not ready to buy yet, but just wondering if they are decent.

Right now I am thinking after I take the riders course (and hopefully enjoy it and pass) I might check out previous year or used YZF-R3, used CBR500. Not totally against a cruiser but a smaller bike that is light and nimble and works for short people was what I was thinking.
I'll probably use it most for going around locally, but it would be nice to have something good enough to take on longer trips with other people when I get comfortable.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah, those Vulcans are good. They use the Ninja 650's engine and they're real peppy for a "cruiser".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's basically a Ninja 650 restyled to be more cruiser like. The engine is very linear and predictable, and should be a good starter bike if you want a cruiser.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

Is it a unique model or something? $4000 for a 10 year old Honda Nuprin bike seems like a lot.

The F4i is the new 954 bro.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

It's basically a Ninja 650 restyled to be more cruiser like. The engine is very linear and predictable, and should be a good starter bike if you want a cruiser.

Thats what it sounded like to me. I asked on my uncle's mailing list I got added to, and some of the riders there kinda scoffed at it but I think they were going based on older Vulcan and hadn't really looked too much into it. I wouldn't buy a new one but, if they come up on craigslist for $5000 again next month I might go check them out.

https://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/5644327311.html
https://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/5648444739.html

Both under 1k miles.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Remember that a lot of cruiser riders are really conservative and will scoff at anything that isn't a big lumpy V-twin that says Harley on the side. :)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

Remember that a lot of cruiser riders are really conservative and will scoff at anything that isn't a big lumpy V-twin that says Harley on the side. :)

Yeah the mailing list is a weird mix of every kind of bike. The one guy rides a Harley and the other guys kinda tease him for it. Its also the kind of mixed crowd where my uncle told me to add a google filter for certain words to avoid the horrible political discussions that go on. I've met most of these guys in person over the years though and they are pretty cool and should be fun to ride with and learn from once I get up to speed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oh I thought it was a cruiser rider list. Carry on then!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

About to go get my TW200 inspected and plated; USAA doesn't do TX but I got an affiliate hookup for Progressive, now covered with Comprehensive insurance for $77/yr with $3/yr for roadside assistance. Once again being a responsible adult with a cheap, low-powered bike is making my life easy.

I've been following your last couple months and I'm happy for you. Especially after your bike got torched when you were still living in DC. Just wanted to say that.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I've been following your last couple months and I'm happy for you. Especially after your bike got torched when you were still living in DC. Just wanted to say that.

D'awwww! :3 Thanks!

For those that missed it, here's what happened to my '91 Ninja 500 in DC, and a local blog writeup: http://www.popville.com/2013/07/motorcycle-troubles-arson-vandalism-and-theft/

Just doing some casual city riding with this TW so far (other than the 100+ mile ride to get it home from the seller), and so far it's the comfiest city bike I've ever had. Not fast, but feels rock-solid. My only grip so far, and this is totally likely just my technique and not a problem with the bike, is that it stalls easily if for example I cruise with the clutch lever held or am at a stoplight, so I have to gun it just very slightly every few seconds to keep it going. On the bright side it starts up (and re-starts) easily with almost no throttle, so not sure if I should adjust something or just not expect it to keep running while coasting without a little throttle.

Don't want to give-a-mouse-a-cookie too much, but if I decide it's a keeper I might replace the front bulb and/or horn, and I'm probably going to put some kind of rack on the back for groceries and shopping, just not sure whether to get a more compact rack or a big wide one. But mainly want to get gauntlets to protect my levers and mirrors and all. I've also heard really good things about upgrading the seat, which would be good if I go for longer rides since the 100mi trip caused some real rear end-numbness.

If I really, really love it and money does indeed start coming in well by late summer, next time I'm going to be gone overseas for a month or so I could see dropping the bike off at a shop, giving them a bunch of photos off Google of stripped-down custom TWs and say "make it look something like this". But overall yeah I'm pretty pleased with how life is going.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Re: stalling while stopping at lights, that sounds exactly like what my ninja was doing when its exhaust valves where way too tight. Would have to keep the throttle open while slowing to a stop.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
If it's stalling without throttle input the pilot jet in the carb probably needs to be cleaned out. Also check the airbox and make sure it's not full of mud/dirt if the PO took it offroad.

My old XR100 had lots of issues where it would sputter out at low speeds and it ended up being that the airbox was full of caked up mud and dirt and everytime I cleaned the jets it would just suck more dirt in and get dirty again.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

If I really, really love it and money does indeed start coming in well by late summer, next time I'm going to be gone overseas for a month or so I could see dropping the bike off at a shop, giving them a bunch of photos off Google of stripped-down custom TWs and say "make it look something like this". But overall yeah I'm pretty pleased with how life is going.

Oh yeah that's a great idea. It's not like solid TW200's are hard to find or anything, and literally any other bike would be more appropriate for that tomfoolery.

Are you sure your idle screw is set high enough? It could just be stalling out because the idle is too low.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Just doing some casual city riding with this TW so far (other than the 100+ mile ride to get it home from the seller), and so far it's the comfiest city bike I've ever had. Not fast, but feels rock-solid. My only grip so far, and this is totally likely just my technique and not a problem with the bike, is that it stalls easily if for example I cruise with the clutch lever held or am at a stoplight, so I have to gun it just very slightly every few seconds to keep it going. On the bright side it starts up (and re-starts) easily with almost no throttle, so not sure if I should adjust something or just not expect it to keep running while coasting without a little throttle.

2nding Razzled that it sounds like a clogged pilot jet, but what is it idling at? I know they don't have tachs but it should be around 1400rpm.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
So I test rode a VFR800 AND a VFR1200 in succession, and it's only made me more confused.

The 800 is smaller, has an engine that's a lot more playful, is generally better in the city, looks better (imo), sounds better, and has more goodies, but there are no used ones on the market and the cheapest you can get one is 13k AUD (which, granted, is 3k less than the RRP).

The 1200 has a fuckton of power, is a little more comfortable, has really good brakes, and you can reliably get a nice used one with all the panniers and goodies for ~10k AUD. The engine doesn't actually sound bad, a bit more motogp than V8. It's a little sluggish and heavy at slow speeds, but as soon as it's going it is really nice.

Seriously gently caress Australian imports, if they had ABS on the old VFR800 I wouldn't even be having this dilemma.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
tl;dr: a 5'3" woman friend wants a beginner motorbike solely for urban commuting or the quietest of rural country roads. She likes the cruiser look and felt really comfy sitting on a Rebel 250 in the showroom. Used recent-make Rebel 250 or V-Star/Virago probably the best bets?

Okay, since my TW200 is pretty clean I figure I'll just ride it as-is, adding just some basic accessories like the Emgo handguards (blue to match current color) and a rear rack of some sort. As much as these look cool modified, it's probably not worth doing on a bike this inexpensive and this clean; if I upgrade it'll be to a Ninja 500 and nobody gives a gently caress if you modify those since they're so ugly stock and so awesome with the plastic torn off, can mod Ninjas pretty easily without any welding or major cutting. Anyways one of the few reasons I might want to upgrade would to get more horsepower to travel between cities. But most likely I'll just keep riding the TW200 as-is until either/both my finances take off as business expands and/or some decently affordable and compact electric motorbike with at least 40hp equivalent on the market comes out that's suitable for a short person and doesn't look like something out of Bladerunner.

Completely separately, a friend in Austin mentioned she's been debating getting a scooter or motorbike forever and selling her car; it's a 2006 Pontiac G6 which is actually pretty fun to drive but she's sick of paying the insurance/gas/maintenance on it and it seems pointless since she has a basic 20 minute commute on side-streets and basic errand running in town. We went to Woods' Fun Center just to sit on some bikes, after a long chat and showing her some stats and pics online. She's about 5'3" and stubby and chubby, but she was able to flat-foot the Honda Rebel 250 in sandals on the showroom floor, so should make it fine in proper boots. She tried sitting on some scooters (Metro, Ruckus, etc) and though they were cute but preferred the Rebel, and had no interest in the Ninja or any of the dual-sport. She tried sitting on the Suzuki S40 but it's 25% heavier so she likes the Rebel. She also digs the cruiser look from movies/TV and felt really comfortable with the ergos.

From what I'm reading up, the Rebel and the V Star/Virago are pretty similar in weight, though the Rebel somehow is said to feel more "cramped" (that's great for her size). Is the overall consensus that the V is a slightly better bike for slightly more money but the Rebel is basically fine in that category too?

I have her totally sold on MSF course and a full-face helmet, good boots and a durable used jacket. Other than that mainly looking at a luggage rack so she can use it for running errands and maybe crash-bars for when she drops it. I know the 250 Rebel is underwhelming for highway, but she's really only interested in urban commuting, or wandering around the tiny county backroads and avoiding highways, and the Austin area has some really cute and picteresque backroads (which is how I got my TW200 back from College Station since it barely gets past 55).

So look for a reasonably recent 250cc Rebel or V-Star with a clean title that passes the basic pre-buy checklist, and good to go?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Okay, since my TW200 is pretty clean I figure I'll just ride it as-is
~~~Thank You~~~

if I upgrade it'll be to a Ninja 500 and nobody gives a gently caress if you modify those since they're so ugly stock and so awesome with the plastic torn off
You have my blessing, child.

She tried sitting on some scooters (Metro, Ruckus, etc) and though they were cute but preferred the Rebel

I mean, jesus, someone has to like that thing. If she is the 1%, more power to her. Has she sat on a grom? It might have more power than a rebel.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
???

A Grom is 9hp, a Rebel is 18hp; quite a difference. And she's really into the cruiser look, and plenty of Rebels around cheap while Groms are so popular in Austin they barely depreciate at all.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Tap, what about that giant Suzuki cruiser I was looking at?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

The Bananana posted:

Tap, what about that giant Suzuki cruiser I was looking at?

That bike is over 600lbs, literally twice the weight of the Rebel she was looking at.

Btw, saw one of those Kawasaki Vulcans in person for the first time. A 650 Ninja warped and tortured into a cruiser? How deliciously perverted and awesome.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A friend's wife has a Rebel 250 as her first bike, and thinks it's just great. She doesn't ride it on the highway, just around town, but it's perfectly fine for that. Very unintimidating and confidence-boosting.

e: something worth remembering is that the showroom is not a good place to gauge a bike's weight. Yes, a lighter bike is easier to maneuver, but sitting on a stationary bike and thinking "man this is hard to push around" doesn't mean anything for how it feels in motion. Have her take the MSF first, and see if she can ride a couple of the different bikes that they have to get a feel for them.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 1, 2016

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Is 38k miles a lot for an F4i in otherwise good condition? I found one for $1900, which is well into "screw it, I'll find a ride up there today" territory, but I have no idea what the lifespan of an F4i is like.

I'm not in a hurry to get one at all, so if it's garbage I'll keep looking (and sell the Ninjette first to fund it).

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Barnsy posted:

So I test rode a VFR800 AND a VFR1200 in succession, and it's only made me more confused.

The 800 is smaller, has an engine that's a lot more playful, is generally better in the city, looks better (imo), sounds better, and has more goodies, but there are no used ones on the market and the cheapest you can get one is 13k AUD (which, granted, is 3k less than the RRP).

The 1200 has a fuckton of power, is a little more comfortable, has really good brakes, and you can reliably get a nice used one with all the panniers and goodies for ~10k AUD. The engine doesn't actually sound bad, a bit more motogp than V8. It's a little sluggish and heavy at slow speeds, but as soon as it's going it is really nice.

Seriously gently caress Australian imports, if they had ABS on the old VFR800 I wouldn't even be having this dilemma.

Just gonna chime in and say that I LOVE the '06 VFR800 ABS I just picked up. The noise it makes with the LeoVince exhaust is so good. I need to get some pics of it now that it's all shined up and beautiful, but it's pouring rain out right now :(

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Is 38k miles a lot for an F4i in otherwise good condition? I found one for $1900, which is well into "screw it, I'll find a ride up there today" territory, but I have no idea what the lifespan of an F4i is like.

I'm not in a hurry to get one at all, so if it's garbage I'll keep looking (and sell the Ninjette first to fund it).

My understanding is that if it had been well maintained, it's one of the most reliable sportbikes engines. Common issues seem to be rattling chain tensioner, otherwise I don't believe the model has a known weak point.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Oh and also a favorite of stunter types, so any evidence of that poo poo I would run away for sure.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I just came across this XJ600 with single owner http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1993-Yamaha-Xj600-118667447

Not as close to me as I would like, but that would be cheap enough to make it a decent starter bike I think. Thing looks clean in those pics (well there are some scrapes on the side now that I look again). Any thoughts?

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 1, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
EX250 or EX500, a lot newer, would be a better option for pretty much the same, possibly less frustrating experience. http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/5636682594.html http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/5628024600.html

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 1, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Eh, I put more miles on my bikes per DAY than that bike has had per month throughout it's entire life. Single owner, and currently running properly, helps it's cause a bit more. 40ish hp isn't too much power for how heavy it is, but it is a bit chunky at 450lbs. You'd be happier on a lighter bike, for learning. Finding parts may be difficult.

Your market for bikes is a bit higher priced than ours. What's your max price range for a bike? Do you have gear already?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Coydog posted:

Eh, I put more miles on my bikes per DAY than that bike has had per month throughout it's entire life. Single owner, and currently running properly, helps it's cause a bit more. 40ish hp isn't too much power for how heavy it is, but it is a bit chunky at 450lbs. You'd be happier on a lighter bike, for learning. Finding parts may be difficult.

Your market for bikes is a bit higher priced than ours. What's your max price range for a bike? Do you have gear already?

No gear yet. At this point thinking after/if I pass MSF course, go to dealer or two and see if they have 2015 R3 in stock and negotiate price down or get them to include some gear. My searches have just been bikes under $5k to see what is out there. I should stop looking till I am ready, but I have been obsessed lately and its a good diversion to waste some time during the work day.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

JHVH-1 posted:

No gear yet. At this point thinking after/if I pass MSF course, go to dealer or two and see if they have 2015 R3 in stock and negotiate price down or get them to include some gear.

No don't.

What type of riding are you planning on doing? I think the ARC Battleborn suit would be a great all arounder for you, given your region, and it won't cost much, if any, more than a garbage "babys first gear" jacket and pants that you would otherwise get. It's top level, and I plan to get it as soon as budget allows.

Basically, get this, and when you figure out what kind of gear you really want, you'll still have a stellar all weather armored riding suit in the closet, instead of a bunch of sedici/joe rocket/firstgear garbage you can't even stomach looking at (ask me how I know).

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products/battle-born-adventure-motorcycle-gear/

For the bike, what is your actual budget? Don't get a loan on a beginner bike, and stay the gently caress away from dealers. Get an ex250 or ex500, and love your life.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Coydog posted:

No don't.

What type of riding are you planning on doing? I think the ARC Battleborn suit would be a great all arounder for you, given your region, and it won't cost much, if any, more than a garbage "babys first gear" jacket and pants that you would otherwise get. It's top level, and I plan to get it as soon as budget allows.

Basically, get this, and when you figure out what kind of gear you really want, you'll still have a stellar all weather armored riding suit in the closet, instead of a bunch of sedici/joe rocket/firstgear garbage you can't even stomach looking at (ask me how I know).

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products/battle-born-adventure-motorcycle-gear/

For the bike, what is your actual budget? Don't get a loan on a beginner bike, and stay the gently caress away from dealers. Get an ex250 or ex500, and love your life.

Will check out what you linked to, thanks.

I'll just be doing probably short leisure rides nearby during lunch breaks since I work from home, and maybe taking some highway trips. Nothing too extreme.

Reading reviews of the local places seems like throwing in a helmet is pretty common if they don't want to come down as much on the bike itself. I'm definitely not planning on taking a loan out, it's a waste of money when I have it in the bank right now. I did already see someone selling a used 2015 r3 for $4500. There is also a cool used only dealer I visited with my uncle who's a seasoned rider. They make sure the bike is all in good condition and doesn't need anything before you buy it. After we visited my uncle traded in his Ducati 996 for a 2010 StreetFighter S they had and he negotiated a few hundred off I think as well. Probably less bullshit there than a dealer that does new bikes, and you don't have to deal with craigslist weirdos.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

I would say that's the point where past neglect is going to start making itself felt. If it's been taken care of that mileage is nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Anyone with a strong preference as to Honda Rebel 250 vice Virago/V-Star 250? I think we pretty much have it narrowed down for her; she's only sat on the Rebel but they're basically pretty similar though the Virago has 21hp vice 18hp. The main criticism I've heard of the Virago is that the friction-zone on the clutch is pretty narrow and takes some getting used to, but a) clearly a lot of people get used to it b) there are aftermarket levers specifically made to address this.

The salesman told her the Rebel was a better buy specifically because of the clutch issue, said he had a customer buy a new Virago and trade it in for a Rebel just a week later because she hated the small friction zone. Then again this guy also insisted that she should buy a bike before taking the BRC (and they offer free BRC with purchase of bike) which is freaking stupid because who wants to bang up their own bike dropping it in a class? He did some stupid wave towards nearby literbikes and said "the class could put you on a totally different bike like this and you'd do your first learning on a completely different kind of bike and not feel comfortable on your own". But aside from sales-babble, the Virago clutch finnickiness does get discussed on online forums.

Probably it'll just come down to whatever is available when she's shopping, though Rebels seem far more common and slightly cheaper; better aftermarket too? The only reason I don't just advise her to look only at Rebels is that from what I read the Virago is a slightly "nicer" bike and slightly higher claimed top speed of 85mph vice 70mph on the Rebel, though in probably both of those cases that speed isn't pleasant, comfy, or quick to reach.