Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^^ before my time, also hilarious.

MrKatharsis posted:

Lol Tsaven Nava posted so much that he's still in the list.

I noticed that too.

Also what happened to frozenphil anyways, that guy was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Grimarest posted:

I'm looking at buying my first bike and there is this pristine Suzuki DR 600 Dakkar for 1600$. 1986 and 86k km on the odometer.

Good Idea? It would be for commuting and occasionnal cottage trip with smooth dirt roads.

If it runs nicely, ride it for a 10k and buy something new once it wears out or you get tired of it.

clutchpuck posted:

It's pretty much a Hypermotard with a factory bag system.

Yeah but it also uses the new water cooled 4 valve 848(849?) engine, which is pretty cool, and the engine the hyper should have gotten int he first place.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You just described a superduke 1290. If you want it to ride like an 800 just put it in rain mode and when youre ready to ride a grown up motorcycle you dont have to buy a new bike, just put it in sport.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ripoff posted:

Ducati Hyperstrada - $13,495 USD MSRP
Triumph Tiger 800 ABS - $10,999 USD MSRP
Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC ABS TYPE R SUPER V4 WHEELIE DEATH MONSTER 9000 - $14,499 USD MSRP
Ducati Monster 1200 (non-S) - $13,495 USD MSRP

KTM Super Duke 1290 - $16,999 USD MSRP

Don't get me wrong here, the Super Duke looks to be a balls-out fun-as-all-hell bike but the Austrian pricing when combined with the fact that many KTM dealers that sell their dirtbikes do not sell the street bikes makes it a bit tougher to justify. If you decided that you didn't need the extra 50 HP on a light twin and would be more than happy with the still fully-capable-of-breaking-every-speed-limit-in-the-US power of the Tiger 800 you could have up to an extra $7k USD to play with (if you paid MSRP right out the door). That's a set of really, really nice leathers, boots and gloves and a top-end Arai or Schuberth helmet, with Bluetooth and all the farkles you could ever dream of. Keep in mind, this is also me stating that you walk in and buy the bike for MSRP without negotiating anything (no idea how it works at Triumph dealers, I heard Ducati is infamous for making you stick to MSRP and honestly not a clue about KTM so if you could enlighten me I'd appreciate it).

Also to be fair every review I've read of the Monster 1200 vs. the Super Duke states that the Austrian wins in practically every category, but I think bike rags tend to forget that a lot of the population doesn't have the proverbial money tree growing in the backyard.

Let's be honest - if you can comfortably finance a 14k toy, you can probably also comfortably finance an 17k toy. The difference is a bit more extreme at the 7k mark between the 800ABS and the SD 1290, but let me tell you, those are 2 completely different bikes. A buddy of mine is coming out to visit in August with his G/f on their matching, adorable Tiger 800s, and I'll meet up and cruise around with him then and can give you a back to back if you're really interested, but ultimately, you're sort of comparing a souped up Jeep to a Lambo LM002.

I would argue that the SD 1290 is one of the best bikes made at the moment - insane power, awesome suspension, it's been reliable (minus the wheel bearing thing which is apparently normal play, KTM is developing a spec). Biggest issue I've had is because I won't hand the bike over to the dealership long enough for them to replace the stuff damaged in shipping.

Most KTM dealerships will offer demo rides, so if you can find one, you should be able to test ride one. The biggest selling point across the board is honestly not that it's totally nuts but that it's insanely controllable. You will go so loving fast without even trying on the thing, or you can commute to work on it, or I've gone on a 6 hour ride with my wife on the back and it was comfortable and fine (although I did make some plates to drop the passenger pegs down and forward a bit and put the KTM powerparts seats on it).

Negotation is going to be hard cause the bikes are flying out of showrooms - there have been 12 or so delivered to my dealership in the bay area and all have been sold either before they arrived or within a few days.

At the end of the day, you are paying over 10k for a toy. If you're doing that, you shouldn't loving mince about with "well, this one is the practical option" - if you want a practical option, buy a 5k miata and drive around with the top down and don't get wet when it rains. If you want a motorcycle, buy a loving crazy motorcycle, because at the end of the day, you don't ride a bike because it makes sense, you ride it because it's rad. And I ride my SD1290 just about every day and think "whelp, couldn't have gotten anything more awesome than this" and it makes it all worth it.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 3, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

You could almost, almost get away with doing a word replace of 'SD1290' with 'Ulysses' and 'KTM' for 'Buell' and have this be a Clutchpuck post.

Yeah except that I didn't describe a lovely bike :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

That rear wheel still hanging in there?

Hey that's a minor concern :v:

(Apparently some play is normal in SSAs - I'm curious to shove a triumph or ducati one now and see how much play is there).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Using a careful scientific methodology of "put it on the center stand, grab the rear wheel, and push" I cannot detect any side-to-side play in the single-sided swingarm of my Hawk GT.

I have to shove pretty loving hard, on the kickstand, from the low side of the bike. It's more of a felt click than anything else, maybe .25mm-.5mm of play?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The dealership pulled everything and retorqued to spec, play is still present, so we'll see what happens. I'll throw a dial indicator on there, get a proper hot/cold spec, and we'll see what happens over time. KTM generally takes care of their customers so I'm not too concerned.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KillHour posted:

:ohdear: I'd like to think I'm more careful than that. How does that happen, anyways?

I don't think my wife would let me pick up a junker for the first year... she'd be too worried about me hurting myself if it's not a new bike.

It's really simple, you've got your new bike, you're all excited, you bring your foot up to the footpeg and catch it on the shifter and the bike jumps into gear, lurches forward 2 feet, and you drop it.

Or you pull up to a gas station, put your foot into some water, a bit of gravel, slip a bit, and because you're not used to balancing a 450 pound bike under you, it goes past the point of no return and you fall over.

Or you catch a pavement seam pulling up to a stoplight, it catches the front tire funny, turns the bars a bit more than expected as you come to a stop and you fall over.

Or you grab a bit too much front brake coming to a stop, it stops suddenly with the bars to the side and you don't compensate in time and it falls over.

Or you roll it off the kickstand accidentally while sitting on it making vroom vroom noises and it falls over.

Or you're moving it around and you accidentally let it get a little bit to far leaned over and it falls over.

I could go on for awhile longer.

Buy something in the 2-4k range, a GS500, Ninja 500, SV650, or whatever, ideally something with a few scratches from a minor tip over, get it completely gone over by a mechanic, and that'll cost you about 500-1000 bucks, and you'll have a bike that's ready to go until you're ready to upgrade it. If you drop it, well, someone else already paid the depreciation on that. Then when you're ready to sell it, you can sell it for roughly what you got it for (as it's a used bike that's been dropped gently before, that pretty much takes the value to bottom), and then you buy your nice bike as your second bike.

Buying a bike new as your first bike is a terrible, terrible idea. You lose more in depreciation the first time you turn the key than the cost of a cheap beater.

E: fb

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cixelsyd posted:

Hi guys,

I've been contemplating selling my R6 because I think I am over my initial infatuation with a super sport. I had read a lot of people saying that the SV 650 is a great bike, so I've been looking for one, and I saw this one:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/4651907448.html

There is also this one:

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/mcy/4646769515.html but it has a dent in the tank, and that whole side looks like its in pretty rough shape.

It's a 2008 with a GSXR front, 11k miles and they ask $3500 for it. I've seen some 04's without any extras and less miles go for 3000 obo, is the 08 with the other fork worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance!

I'd offer 3kish for the 08, you could probably get it for a bit over, which would be reasonable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Trauma Tank posted:

I've been looking for a good value SV650 for a while with the intent of buying one this winter after doing my training in the next few months(I'm in the UK). This one just popped up near enough to me to be able to go out and have a look.

It's a Gen 1 naked, while I prefer the sound of the Gen 2 SV650 due to nice things like fuel injection and a digital speedo, the price looks really good for the miles it has, and as it's coming from a trade shop that is offering a full MOT and service before it leaves I wouldn't have too many concerns over the reliability from my own limited experience.

Here's the advert: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409037093014/ Price is £1,295 with just under 20k miles. Does this look like a good bike, and is there anything in particular I should watch out for if I go to have a look and potentially buy the bike this weekend?

While I'm asking, here's another one that caught my eye. Similar price, but for an '04 Gen 2 in a lovely silver colour: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409107277396/p This one is not from a dealer, but it has a recent MOT. No road tax but that's not a big deal to me as it doesn't imply any actual problems with the bike itself. Only problem is I don't have any way to transport it myself. and with it not being taxed I wouldn't be able to convince the PO to deliver it either.

That first one looks quite nice, all things considered, especially given bikes seem to be more expensive over there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The 6 pots were a common "upgrade" for those bikes (and the zx6e).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SV650N? Versys? ER6N? Ninja 650?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The weestrom is one of the most boring, lame bikes I've ever ridden. It's like the SV is the confluence of a bunch of little things that lead up to something that's better than the sum of it's parts, the weestrom is the same thing but it ends up being worse than the sum of it's parts. It's heavy, underpowered, engine loses all the character that makes an SV fun, suspension is terrible, wheel sizes limit rubber choices. If you respring and stuff on the front, then it's a bit better, but you don't get over a bunch of the other marginal bits about it. Why not take that money and fly back to your SV and take a fun trip rather than blowing a bunch of money on a different bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Elviscat posted:

This is exactly what I'd do, except I still use the bike to commute when I fly home (buying an SV ended up being cheaper than renting a car every time I flew home.) And I only get a few weeks a year away from work to visit friends and family, I'd rather spend time with them than ride my motorcycle cross-country, as much as I like the idea.

Does anyone have any experience with the Sprint? It's one of the few ST's I've seen that doesn't look like it just ate too big a meal. Tiger is a definite possibility, I hadn't thought to look on ADV rider.

Honestly I'll probably get an FZ1. they're so plentiful, well priced and reliable. Plus poooowwwwwweeeerrrr

Edit: I'd be all over a Futura or Capanord, but lol fuel economy and parts availability.

Id take the FZ1 over the sprint...there are some reliability issues with the sprint and no ap1 to bail you out with parts like you would with an aprilia.

In fact I'd bet it is easier to get aprilia parts than it is to get sprint parts...apparently those bikes didn't have many spares made.

FZ1 is the responsible option, tuono would be the fun one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

The advice on the Sprint's reliability is wrong, they're as bulletproof as and share pretty much all non-cosmetic bits with other modern Triumphs. Go to TriumphRAT.net and read up on any issues the owners have, and the workarounds. A Sprint is much better suited to distance touring, and much more fun, than an FZ6/7.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Look at the ergos between the 2 and you'll see the sprint has significantly more forward lean (28 degrees to the 18 degrees of the FZ6), and generally a tighter rider triangle. All older triumphs have a pile of caveats and bullshit that comes along with them. The 675s are ok starting after 08, but the 1050 engines still had some oddball issues. The fact that you have to go up and read about the workarounds, deal with vin lookups to figure out if you had one of the mid-model year transmission updates, etc. etc. etc. etc. Triumph has really pushed the reliability curve forward with their bikes released in the last generation, but the stuff before that was still distinctly...British. I'd much rather have the lighter, easily upgradable, fire and forget FZ6/FZ7 over an uncommon bike from triumph where if you tip it over, good luck ever finding fairings, aftermarket parts, OEM parts, etc. It might be close to as reliable as the FZ6, but if anything goes wrong, you might need a part that's difficult to find. The FZ6 is also ~100 pounds lighter than the sprint, which is rather portly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

Think of it this way: imagine a salesperson at a high end jewelry shop in a mall. They know after 2 days on the job that for every 10 people who wander in, 7 will wander right back out, one will ask for a business card, one will buy a can of jewelry cleaner, 0.5 are just casing the joint, and 0.5 have cash and are ready to go.

Can you fault this person for being selective about dispensing expertise/breath/time? For a purchase of this magnitude (to a lot of folks, this is significant cheddar) it's sort of incumbent on the buyer to demonstrate they've done some homework and are genuinely interested. And it's a task a lot of us take seriously, because steering someone into a lovely bike is mojo you don't need. I think there's a rider out there who took my advice on a Shadow RS years ago, and I'll bet they want to stab me in the neck right about now.

Bottom line, if you like standardesque bikes, I'd wait for the 2015 lineups to shake out, then grab one or a nicely discounted '14. Beyond that, there are the old faithfuls, and any smoking local deal you might find due to a spouse wanting their car back in the garage.

If only we could all have Marv's introspective awareness.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You mean you don't have a knob big enough to cope with taming such a savage beast :colbert:

Man, what happened to batshit insane bikes, anyway? I don't just mean things like Laverdas and Bimotas, I mean like the air-cooled GSXRs and first-gen Fireblades, mainstream bikes from big manufacturers that looked like they would kill you just by walking past them. BMW have sort of tried it with the S1000RR and it's :pwn: headlights but that little roundel on the side just destroys any amount of mad, bad and dangerous to know cred that having aquaman gills on the tail might have given it.

H2R is calling your name.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pretty different.

For most people, sportbikes arent comfortable for the street. Ninja 650, fz6r, fz6, would be my suggestions. All can be lowered.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Before you assume seating position, check out http://cycle-ergo.com. There's a lot of options there.

I can't ride a cruiser for more than about 25 minutes before my spine feels like it's going to pop out my rear end in a top hat, thanks to the lack of travel on the rear suspension and seating position that makes using your legs to cushion bumps pretty much impossible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You'll need to budget for non-poo poo suspension on the bandit 1250, figure 2500 or so cause used parts arent gonming to be available.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KARMA! posted:

Where do you get that number from? I can get a full non-poo poo suspension non-second hand setup for about 700 of your finest american green backs.

http://www.hyperonline.nl/contents/nl/p1252_Hyperpro_Streetbox_Suzuki_GSF1250_Bandit_vanaf_2007.html

I was under the impression the bandit lines had damper rod forks - did they address that on the new ones? I was thinking cartridge kit for the front and a quality, remote preload adjustable shock for ease of 2up adjustment. Figured about 1kish each plus 500 bucks for labor.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackLaser posted:

So how bad of an idea is a Ducati 999 for a second bike, a few track days, and occasional trips for a latte?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/4746663457.html

It's a great idea but that bike is pretty overpriced.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's pretty high mileage for a duc - I'd want it for around 6. Especially if he doesnt know if the valve collets were replaced.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

M42 posted:

No it isn't, at all. The problem is getting the sons a bitches off/on the bike in the first place. A dismal slog through loosening like ninety trillion bolts, 6 hours spent wriggling the rear end in a top hat carb boots sideways, punching yourself in the face when they suddenly let go and your arm flies back, gas permeating every molecule of your being. A few moments of calm while you clean the entire carb in <20 minutes while wishing for sudden death to free you from having to do everything in reverse. Afterwards, reducing your thumbs to pulp from trying, in vain, to move the carb slide over so you can put the cable back on. Finally getting the airbox boots attached, only to have them pop off if you even think about wriggling the assembly forward into the head boots. The world's sharpest screwdriver slipping off the boot clamp screw and filleting your finger open, because clearly two usable hands is an unnecessary luxury for carb work.

:unsmigghh:

A song of jets and slides.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

They made a white one, but not with those neon wheels/passenger pegs/bar ends. Google will show you what a stock one looks like, they've only been out for a year or so.

Value for bikes is super dependent on a lot of poo poo, but I'd say no more than 10k-ish value for it, simply because you're out of the market for Ducati owners - most aren't going to want a paint scheme like that, it doesn't appear to have any mods of value, and you're taking your friend's time and effort into account. Blue book's going to be higher, list is going to be higher, you might offer him a bit more if you were ok with the bike sitting on a lot somewhere for awhile. You could probably sell it for 13 or so given enough time, but you're going into the bad season for bikes and again - it's a rare ducati owner that's going to want that paint scheme.

(all of this is assuming that the bike is otherwise low mileage (under 5k), well taken care of, maintenance records, and not an ex-trackbike or some poo poo)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 29, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Hamfisting the throttle on a 125cc: "oops"
Hamfisting the throttle on a 1000cc supersport: "..." (You can't say anything because you just launched yourself into the tropopause.)

Hamfisting the throttle on something with TC: WHEEEEEEEEEEEE

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackLaser posted:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/mcd/4799387956.html

This seems like a very low price for a 2013 636. I think it's a typo.

I'm going to go find out tomorrow. I already have an all black bike, so obviously a fan. Was kinda looking for something a bit different. I need to see it in person.

Is that an ABS trigger wheel on the front?

Seems reasonable enough for an effectively 2 year old bike with all the new hotness coming out. They're probably at the point where they're losing significant money with each month it's on the floor so they're just trying to get it out before it costs them more money. Also, ABS models on sportbikes are generally pretty unpopular in the US, plus it's a Kawasaki so yeah, I can see that sort of price.

Great bikes though, you should totally buy it if you're looking for a 600 for street/light track use.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SB35 posted:

Goons, help point me in the right direction. I'm in the bay area, looking for a new ride.

Previously had a Yamaha FZR600 which I liked, but sold to move here. Now I'd like something with some side bags so I can go camping. Nothing major, just a weekend deal perhaps. Not a lot of off road, maybe a few mountain gravel roads and such on occasion will be used more often on the highway and twisty mountain cruises.

Friend says I should pick up an FJR1300 because he loves his, but I'm unsure, it seems a bit big and not so sporty-fun. Was looking at a V-Strom or Versys, but those may be a bit too off-roadish. Recently a Triumph Tiger 800 caught my eye (see pic).

Any suggestions on other bikes I should be looking at or recommendations? Would the Tiger 800 be a mistake?

edit: also should point out I'm looking at something around $5-6k

Real answer: FZ6.

Comedy option: Duke 690, lightly used.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Linedance posted:

So I'm looking looking at affordable, likeable bikes for sale in the frozen North and it's pretty depressing really. With a budget of roughly 6k CAD, I'm looking at Kawi Versys. They look like my kind of bike, my previous bikes have been a Multistrada 1k and a Aprilia Pegaso Strada. A couple of people have rated them on here too. I know, ride it first, but those of you with experience, how would you say it compares to my previous bikes? Prices seem pretty steady between the '06-'09 and the '10+, any reason not to go for the newer one?

Slavvy sums it up well, although I really liked how the versys handled and rode. It's more street oriented than either of those, but it's a really good bike on it's own merits.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

M42 posted:

um, excuse me, this guy would like to have a word :colbert:

but anyway, get a drz. Which borough? I can come help check some out next time I'm up there.

That's Dan Sewell - AFM fast dude, and generally awesome guy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

High Protein posted:

The 690 duke has the insanely high brake lever thing too, you need to turn the footpeg bracket upside down or something to correct it :S

Weird, I haven't had that problem on the newer 690s I've ridden - maybe it was just adjusted super high? Adjustment from the factory is always a bit hit or miss.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Would you guys ever buy a dealer demo bike?

Depends on how many miles and how much the discount is. Given how I demo bikes, no.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whatever you do, don't buy new. Find a nice 3-5 year old bike with lowish miles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Oof. I want to sell the DRZ and do a fly and ride...

Way too expensive - you can find them for around 2.5k if you wait.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Marxalot posted:

Doesn't it weigh something silly like 250lbs?

Yeah, it's super light. Cylinders are part of the bottom end.

I have a buddy who had about 6k on one. An SXV chassis with a ninja 650 engine swapped in is about the ideal supermoto, imo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

M42 posted:

How hard would that be to do, out of curiosity? I don't know much about engine swaps.

It'd take welding in new engine mounts to the frame, custom wiring, figuring out how to handle the fuel pump, custom exhaust, and all the assorted tuning to go along with it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That is a pretty horrible engine choice though. SV650, NT650? Come on, something else.

You ever seen an SXV frame? No way anything but a custom built tiny v-twin or a p-twin is going to fit. It's tiny.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Why not just put a 690 engine in a SXV frame then?

Cylinder head won't fit between the frame spars. If you search YouTube for SXV er6i engine swap you can see how narrow the frame is and how the Ninja engine basically sits below the frame. You might be able to make thw 690 engine fit, but you'd only lose a few pounds of weight and you'd lose significant freeway usability. Plus you have to drop the engine to do maintenance with a swap like that, so the 15k valve checks on the 650 engine are nice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Should I buy this?

I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow. It has 1/3 the miles as mine, upgraded DDFI3 engine with the beefier rods/crank and computerized idle control. Same color as my brother's.

Of course - if we can concentrate all the Buells together in one garage it's less property damage when we burn the garage down.

You're doing gods work.

(Real talk: Owning multiples of the same bike is the right way to handle the sickness)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's a really good post that could save some folks a lot of money.