Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

captainOrbital posted:

They're approaching that already. For the sporty SR, they're quoting 185 highway and 95 city. Presumably that's on ECO mode, which was still fun, but not as stupid fun as sport mode.

The list for the big-battery FX (dirtbike) is 11k, and the out-the-door the guy quoted me was 13k. MSRP on the FX with only one battery is like $9,500. But the highway range is like literally 15 loving miles.

Yeah, figure actual range is closer to 80% of that though. Brammo claims 128/58, which is actually pretty close to accurate on the freeway (58) but you'd be pushing it to do 128 in the city. Figure honest is closer to 100.

I get about 12 laps of THill on a fully charged battery, but the bike is basically flat out for the entire lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

captainOrbital posted:

Well, remind me not to get the FX with the single battery.

And if I'm spending 13k out the door, it's going to be an FJ-09 or a V4 Tuono.

Yeah 13k out the door would buy you a lot of other bike. S1000R even, although I think you lose a bunch of the sport package stuff.

Or you could realize that 13k is basically 18k when it comes to finanicing a bike and just buy a SuperDuke, and enjoy The Gift. :v:

Coredump posted:

If I tried to explain that man who chastised motorcyclist for referring to their bikes as women then turned around and repeated defended his use of the word oval office in general conversation anyone listening would think I was telling a joke.

Said the man who's never traveled outside of the US.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

I did really enjoy the sensation of instant clutchless and shiftless off-the-line power. But yeah, 13k buys a LOT of torque. And for 18k I would get a goddamn Multistrada.

The new multi is really ugly, though, and I say this as someone who's liked all the previous incarnations of it. The SD stomps the Multi just about everywhere except maybe up a really nasty goaty road where the additional travel on the Multi would pay off. I also hate the gearing on the multi, -1 in the front is basically a requirement. And it has a pile of ECUs, which with the famed Ducati reliability, I'm always paranoid about.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

And right after you get to "...and then he used the C word as if it wasn't a dirty swear!!" you can all roll your eyes in disbelief about foreigners and thank Jesus that you're blessed enough to live in the greatest country on God's green earth, followed by a quick twenty-one gun salute in the direction of the nearest school or minority.

Does the multistrada have 'offroad' capability at all? I know the first gen does but the more recent ones have struck me as a sort of up-market Vstrom. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just curious.

Not really, no. I mean, they can do all the things a normal standard can do, but they're more street toys than offroad toys. You want offroad, you buy a 1190 adventure r. Plus all those expensive plastics, as clutchpuck's brother found out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Police bikes get abused as gently caress. Pass.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Either that or a GS500.

If you want your WRX to feel dumb and slow, buy an SV650, which is a slow bike (3.8 0-60) and will still get 45mpg if you're not all sloppy hard on the throttle.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 8, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Even a slow bike is going to feel fast compared to a car - the sensation of speed is about 10x as significant when you're out from behind the windshield. Both the Ninja 250 and the GS500 are going to be in the ~5 second range 0-60.

You're also not going to save money by riding a bike unless you do the vast majority of the mechanical work yourself. Tires wear out in about 5-15k miles depending on if they're more track or street focused. Consumables get eaten up a lot faster, and you're highly likely to end up doing a lot of joy riding if you enjoy the bike. Between insurance/registration/maintenance/gear/etc, you're going to spend quite a bit up front. It's still totally worth it if you're getting back a bunch of time on a commute, but don't think that it's going to be cheaper based on the gas mileage.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Re-considering a Ninja 300 for my first bike, partially due to the size and also I'm not that interested in sports bikes -my main draw to it was that it has a lot of safety features on it so would be more forgiving. Especially for my area where it is all highways and country roads.

I love the look of cruisers, they felt great to sit on (I'm a short rear end - 5'8"). I seem to be set on an Intruder 250 for a learner legal cruiser. Its cheaper, plenty around second hand and more comfortable for longer rides (which is what I am aiming for - 80-100km/hr/50-60mph long highway roads through the country). Talk me out of getting a cruiser for a first bike/tell me how wrong I am?

It's not really a sportbike - it's more of a standard. Displacement lies - a 250 cruiser is going to have difficulty maintaining 65mph. You're going to want to look for a 500-1000cc cruiser to start with. The smaller, sport oriented bikes have a significant HP advantage over similar engined cruisers.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

1190 Adventure

This is the right answer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Even a clapped out, 68k mile, tires flatspotted to hell one of these is still pretty fun to ride.

The CBX will be slower but sound better, but I'd imagine the ZRX would be the better bike for a non-motorcycle crazy person to own.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you can afford it, don't go without abs, period.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you can afford it, absolutely get abs. No question.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

CA consensus on the BMW S1000R? Always wanted a naked bike and from what I'm seeing this is one of the better options at the moment.

It's an amazing bike - definitely doesn't give anything up against the 1290 but is a little different. It's a much more refined bike with all the toys it has.

The 1290 is sort of the big bruiser, simple and aggressive, whereas the 1000R is much more about the electronics with the active suspension, cruise control, etc, etc.

I personally prefer the 1290 (obviously), but the S1000R is very, very close. I'm strongly tempted by the XR1000R as a longer range compliment to the 1290.

I recommend test riding both bikes, along with the tuono v4 - you'll know after the test ride which one you want the most.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tanbo posted:

I hate it when mommy and daddy fight.

At least they can be our legal mommy and daddy now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

benwards posted:

So high. High as balls. High as gently caress. So high.

I want predictable wheelies in all gears. The SV went from "pulling away gently from a stop" to "HI YES YOU ASKED FOR A WHEELIE" in like 10 degrees of wrist rotation. Don't get me wrong, I loved the bike, but it's not what I want now.

Anyway, my question isn't "should I buy a ZRX," but rather, "is that ZRX priced well?"

No, not really. I'd say 3k-ish for a nicely maintained model with medium mileage (15-30k). I bought a 68k mile one for 1800 bucks to steal the suspension for the CBX.

The ZRX is a rocket sled, you'll enjoy it, just be careful with it before you get back into it, yeah?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

benwards posted:

Thanks for the info! And yeah, a few years of international travel and local "taxi" experiences have left me a lot more cautious than I was the first time I went shopping for bieks (massive upgrade in power notwithstanding).

Yeah - moving up in power is more about how you approach it than anything else. If you could get that one for 4k it'd be a decent deal as ZRXs go, but I don't think you want a pristine one for your re-entry bike. Or you could buy the plastics/tank off the 68k mile one I have and swap those for the nice ones until you get comfortable again :v:

Find a slightly mashed up one for 2-3k, and enjoy the hell out of it. ZRXOA.org might have some deals on bikes for you.

Edit: Looks like ZRXOA is down - that's weird.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 30, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Verge posted:

Anyone know about the Zero Motorcycles?

Here's their website:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

I'm thinking about getting one of them for various reasons. I don't particularly need range, just a daily rider.

They're solid bike, they overheat easily but it's just a software thing. The newer ones are much better than the older ones. If your commute is mostly around town and with 80% of the listed range it's a good choice. Has ABS, is likely to be around for awhile. The SR basically maxes the controller for the power output so expect some changes in the future on that - they're sort of at a plateau for their current hardware and software.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Verge posted:

I was gonna buy one new, that would mean no overheating worries, right? Sorry, I can lack common sense and like clarity (since the fucker's 10k and I don't actually make a lot of money). I'm surprised they overheated, really surprised, since they don't use any fluids :stare:

Can't wait to squid on that thing. Thanks for your replies. :cthulhu:

It's a design constraint - the engine, batteries, and controller are air cooled so if you apply enough throttle for long enough the system can't dump all the heat it generates and goes into a reduced power mode until everything cools down. It's not going to damage anything, it's just an early electric design constraint - pretty much all of them do it at some point. Brammo uses a water cooled motor, but iirc, the entire system on the Zeros is air cooled. You'll probably only really see it while hooning hard, or after 1-2 aggressive, fast laps of the track.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 1, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

And the Blast.

(if you're worried about your bike being stolen)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I have a buddy who bought a Duke 390. It's awesome except for the fact that the cooling system is really stressed dealing with a 375cc engine rather than the 200cc engine it was originally designed for.

That in and of itself wouldn't be the end of the world, but it requires the cooling fan to be on when the bike is going slow and that wouldn't be a problem except that the radiator fan is super cheap and has a nearly 100% failure rate.

I'd totally still buy one but replace the cooling fan with a Spal 5.2 inch pull fan (part number 30103011) as soon as you can.

Besides that it's the perfect cheerful shoot around town bike, with surprisingly decent freeway manners (much better than the displacement would lead you to believe). Wife borrowed it and fell in love with it pretty much immediately.

Also will do wheelies in first and second gear if you snap the throttle open.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

You're in danger of turning into the clutchpuck of KTM's.

"It's a really great bike except you have to replace something pre-emptively to avoid catastrophic cooling system failure caused by a combination of crap quality and poor design." isn't much of a recommendation, and I like KTM's.

KTM will fix it, it's just not fixed right now. It's crappy QC from KTM and their supplier. There are plenty of other things that fail commonly across the board, like Honda R/Rs.

Interestingly, they fixed the problem for their India/Euro spec bikes and then apparently had it again for the US spec stuff? Super lame.

You could buy an SR500 which has the same problem but can't actually be fixed because it's air cooled. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd buy the poo poo out of the 2012.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I have no desire to be hunched over a sport bike anymore.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Cycle Asylum: The only bikes you'll get recommended are our favorites

PS buy a superduke

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah buy the 690.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Throw that thing on CL for 1200 bucks and you'll get it and then go buy the 690 :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dutymode posted:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/5105032860.html

A fair price, considering the condition and suspension upgrades?

That seems totally reasonable to me - 10k is fine on a bike of that age and you couldn't get the suspension upgrades done for the difference in price. Would absolutely buy that over a cheaper or lower mileage one without the mods.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ugly, heavy, nothing special about it. Usual suspension/etc issues, but reasonably reliable for all i hear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Valves being loud and clicky on an air cooled single is normal. What's compression like? I'd just ride what you have, trying to save enough that you can move to an XR650R/690 Enduro. If you don't make it to enough savings, buy a drz400s/e, you're gonna want the extra torquks.

Don't buy an xr650l, big, heavy, and slow.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 13, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Don't be mad cause it's true.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Should have thrown a smilie in there for the sake of the joke :)

Slavvy posted:

How long does a balls-to-the-wall single with nearly 700cc even last before needing a rebuild?

Last I checked, couple of dudes had done a 50k RTW trip with no rebuilds on their enduros. Just normal maintenance - oil, valves, etc. didn't even use the KTM unicorn blood!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

El Mike-o posted:

Thanks! Sounds like the VFR isn't going to be up my alley. The whole reason I choose the baby CBR was because it was so narrow and light. Only thing is now I have no idea what bikes to look at. I'm looking for something:
*Light, or at least has a lowish center of gravity
*Sport/standard position.
*Can do 80-100 without drama
*$6k or less
*Fuel injected
*Not a Superduke

I've looked at a lot of other bikes, but most of them have one fatal flaw. The Shiver was way too tall, F800ST too expensive and parallel twin-y, for the CBR650 there aren't any used ones, etc.

Not a superduke! Travesty!

Would recommend the street triple though - great bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's slow, fat, and boring and overpriced by about $1500.

Edit: Significantly slower than an SV - lower state of tune and heavier/more wind resistance. I really don't like those bikes, they take everything good about the SV platform turn it to marginal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Probably doesn't run, needs all rubber bits replaced, is worth half that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

this made me laugh out loud far more than i should have. thx.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CloFan posted:

I'm looking at this bike:

1972 Kawasaki F11 - http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/snw/5083323123.html

Talking to the guy now about trading for my 2001 Suzuki GZ250. Mine has some cosmetic issues, but is otherwise sound; from what he's telling me the Kawa starts in one kick and doesn't have any problems. Overheats on long trips, he thinks it's a coil and it could be. My '72 Honda does the same thing.

I was excited at first because 1) the Kawa looks great and seems to be in good condition, and 2) the guy is interested in trading. I'm looking at other bikes on CL in my area now though, and wonder if I could get something better in a trade.

This is a terrible idea. A bike doesn't overheat on long trips because of a coil. This sounds like you're about to get hosed. I don't trust restorations from anyone, that's just more poo poo to fix because the PO dicked it up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I saw one of those in person and it looked really nice. If my back could take it, I'd be tempted. Might be a cool platform for modification, too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd probably say an early model S1000RR fits all of those criteria, although servicing might be a bit on the high side. The "Good ABS" one is pretty hard to hit, honestly.

There's also the 821 Hyper - a buddy of mine picked one up for around 7k recently. Jim at Advanced Cycle Service in San Jose does great work on Ducatis for cheap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The versys 650 is a great bike and I'd probably recommend it for most over the 500. More power, very usable, a bit bigger all around, just a great bike in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

~35% reduction in fatalities on bikes equipped with ABS. People rode without helmets all those years ago too, and without real protective gear. The past is a bad baseline when it comes to bikes.

Along with training, wearing a helmet, and not drinking and riding, ABS is a critical safety advancement in motorcycle safety.