Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
Hello buddies and good friends. Is $10,582.70 out the door a bad deal for a brand new Ducati Monster 796ABS? This includes 6% sales tax, title transfer/state fees, inspection, and the first service. It also assumes that I trade in my 2001 Ninja 250 for a value of about $1200. I am getting a low-balled a little on the trade-in BUT you guys have no idea how convenient it will be to ride to the dealership on my Ninja and ride home on my new Ducati. gently caress U-Haul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

slidebite posted:

No doubt the trade is convenient, that's pretty much the whole purpose of trade ins. The part you have to figure out in your head if the convenience is worth the :10bux: difference in market price and trade. Pretty much only you can answer that. :)

I think it's worth it when you consider how much U-Haul costs these days. It would be $150 in rental/mileage costs and another $60 in gas because I'm driving halfway across PA to a Ducati dealer that isn't a pretentious piece of poo poo.

I also forgot to mention that the quoted price for the Monster includes a $600 freight and setup fee... do dealers commonly pass these charges onto the consumer??

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Pike posted:

Regarding U-Haul:

It is likely that my first bike will be purchased somewhere in the DFW area, likely too far for a new rider on an unfamiliar bike to execute safely.

I am considering this:
- buy a trailer hitch for my RAV4 ~$160
- Rent a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul ~$15 + (Whatever extra fees they charge)

Is this a viable idea, or should I find a hillbilly with a pick up truck?

I did the U-Haul thing for my Ninja 250. The motorcycle trailer is ballin' and SUPER easy to load/secure but it gets expensive fast if you choose to also rent a F150 instead of using your RAV4 because they have a by-the-mile fee. To be honest it may very well be cheaper to get the hitch instead of a full U-Haul rig. The trailer makes a lot of noise and didn't feel very safe when driven at over 65 MPH or so (which makes you a right-lane slowpoke in the NY/NJ/Philly corridor).

I also just rented a F150 and loaded her up using my ramp before. Even with the truck parked on a hill I had a really hard time loading my bike by myself. It might not be so bad if you have a friend of two to help ya out.

Fixed Gear Guy fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 9, 2012

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

So this is pretty much the most rad bike ever. Right guys? Right.

1972 Honda CB350, pre-ratted/cafe'd

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lose the fork gaiters and either polish the engine, wheels and fork lowers or matt black them and it will actually bend space and time with awesomeness.

e: definitely polish the metal bits.
Yeah it's going to need a crapload of S100 and a lot of polish but it will be a kickin' rad bike. My own little tribute to Lisbeth Salander. Now let's hope the girl approves...

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I take it back, she rode a WR250X (or, according to IMDB, a Husaberg). Still, none of this cafe racer nonsense.
Yeah right the Swedish version was good in its own right but Rooney Mara and her Honda CL350 loving rocks. And my girl gave me the go ahead so her name is Lisbeth the CB350 :colbert: :dealwithit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah I'm like 300 lbs and a Ninja 250 is fun/fine. You can wring it out without breaking speed limits. But yeah you'll probably still want a bigger bike next season. In my area $2000 for a Ninja doesn't really happen often unless you wait until November when 'tards realize you need to do work and have a place to store a bike for the winter.