Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
So, I rode a Yamaha scooter for a few years back when I was a teenager, rode a dirtbike a bit here and there, and have been wanting to find something to learn on now that I'm older and wiser.

While flipping through craigslist I happened upon this 1980 Suzuki GS850GL.
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1287499649.html

so... I'm going to go look at it tomorrow, anything in particular I would be wary of with these bikes? I'm paranoid that even though I can't find anything of note through google, that doesn't mean there's nothing to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Tsaven Nava posted:

BUY IT YOU human being. BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT

I did :P

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Tindjin posted:

Oh god what did I just get myself into!?!?

Bought a 1982 Suzuki GS850GL tonight for $700.

Welcome to the club :)

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

dw06WU posted:

What do you guys think about Victory bikes? I've been thinking about getting one of those. I love the huge 250 rear tire on them and the modern styling. I also sat on some and they fit me pretty well, they are designed for pretty big guys.

My coworker has had one (Victory Vision "Tour" edition) for about 6 months now, and he absolutely loves it. He and his wife run it all over Austin and the surrounding area on both quick trips and 3+ hr jaunts, he's put a couple thousand miles on it already and he's had 0 problems with it. He says it's the most comfortable bike he's ridden... I haven't asked to sit on it, 'cause, well... I'm a noob, and that bike cost about $20,000 dollars.

It's a really quiet bike though. I was really surprised when he started it up and pulled off. He gave my wife a ride around the block, and she said it was very comfortable, for what that's worth. Also, the Victory emblems on the side of the cowl light up at night, which I thought was a neat touch. People seem to either love or hate the lines on it, it's pretty unique looking.

I've seen a couple of the 8Ball cruisers around town, but I don't know anyone who owns one. They are nice looking though.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I'd stay away from it, personally

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Been shopping Honda ST1300's, and think I've found a serious contender. 2003, 38,000 miles, some nice add ons (headlight modulator, electric window conversion, Givi E52 box, etc) well maintained with almost brand new Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires and a fresh oil change from the Honda dealer. Anyone else here own one and have anything to point out that I should be looking for in particular?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

As a 6'2 guy who took the MSF on a Rebel, I guarantee that it'll be too small for you. You'll have to sit on the passenger seat to turn. Go Shadow, definitely.

I'm 6'2 and my friend's Shadow almost feels too small, so definitely go sit on them.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Tsaven Nava posted:

Goddamn, where in Texas does it get that cold?

Austin, occasionally.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Korwen posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1527367144.html

I can buy that today, cash. Getting it back home would be awkward but do-able. Thoughts?
edit: What were the models for the older kawasakis and zukis that would be good to get?

edit2:
What would a reasonable price for this bike be?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1524672967.html

Depending on how beat to poo poo this one is, and if it runs or not, it might be worth looking at. It wouldn't be the first time someone was looking to dump a bike because they couldn't figure out how to repair the carbs, or couldn't synch them, or because spraying them with a can of cleaner didn't fix an issue like a clogged jet.

Then again, it could have been sitting outside for a few years, be covered in rust, have broken signals, etc.

The KZ550s? The running one has no title, I'd personally not bother with it, but the 83 Honda 750 might be worth looking at. The 1978 CB looks like it's in worse shape for more money, so I'd pass on that one.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Z3n pretty much covered it all, and pretty accurately at that. Since it's not running, unless you have a good deal of mechanical skill and a place to work on it, you may want to pass. Ultimately it's your call, and I'd be a hypocrite if I said it was a stupid idea, but just be sure you're aware of what you might be getting into and be willing to accept it.

Personal example - I purchased a running GS850 that needed some work for 600, and then promptly put another 185 for tires and inspection, 50 for a battery, 100 for OEM gaskets and seals, another chunk of cash for other assorted items like new grips, fuses and wiring repairs, oil, filter, brake fluid, gear oil and other bullshit items, 250 to replace the stator and regulator when they took a poo poo a month after I started riding it, and then 60 for a replacement fuel petcock.

All told I have around 1500 in the bike, and that's not counting insurance and registration. I don't regret it, mind you, but I also had my car to drive around in, a good collection of tools already, and a pretty solid mechanical background.

Which part of Austin are you in? If you REALLY want to check it out and would like a second set of eyes, lemme know (I'm in Pflugerville) and I'll try to sneak away from my visiting inlaws. :)

edit - agreeing, no title = run

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 30, 2009

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
congrats, sounds like a great deal

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Bird-o-matic posted:

emailed the seller only to discover a level of stupidity I just wasn't prepared for.

hahaha, wow, that's amazing.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
My friend just bought a 1994 Honda Magna 750 with 11,000 miles on it. The bike is a cream puff, still rolling on the OEM Dunlops... those will be replaced very soon, and since Honda put a slightly modified VFR V4 in it, I don't expect to have any serious trouble from it beyond getting the brake fluid changed, changing the oil and filter, and maybe putting a new chain on it.

Which brings me to my question - both of my bikes are shaft drivers, and I've never maintained a chain drive before. The bike was in a garage so there's not any rust on the chain and the tension seems OK, but what should I be looking for to know if we'll need to put a new chain on it?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Z3n posted:

Tight spots, broken/missing orings, and "brown dirt" (the internal lube leaking out from broken/trashed orings). All of those are signs of a chain on it's way out.

Thanks Z3n, that's exactly what I needed to know. I'll give it a more thorough chain inspection when we tinker with it again.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Oh yeah, I am totally not putting my hand anywhere near that damned thing while it's running. I read that stuff on the gixxer forums and couldn't believe he was that stupid. We'll be picking up a grunge brush for sure.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Thanks guys, very helpful chain advice!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Tsaven Nava posted:

I know where we can get you a one-legged girl!

You're going to hell.

... and yes, I laughed. I'll see you there, ok?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I live in Pflugerville, you can email me if you need a hand. I'll be more or less available after about 7pm tonight.

raven457 [at] gmail

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Weinertron posted:

It is done, and dark now. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Just got back from buzzing around the neighborhood on it. This thing is awesome.

Congrats, man! I have family visiting most all of this weekend and next week, but after they take off and you're up for it, we should go for a ride!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Iron Squid posted:

Buell

Stay away from the Buell Blast, it's a piece of poo poo.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

sectoidman posted:

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/1821407414.html

So, this dude wants $100 for a running EX500 (albiet one that apparently has some issues).

Is this a bad idea? I feel like I could probably fix it up and flip it for at least $5-600, if the stated damage/necessary maintenance is all that's wrong with it.

If it runs, you could easily part it out for well over $100 if you had to. If you have the room for it, and some cash for parts, buy the everlovingfuck out of it.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Saga posted:

e: BMW owners LOL...37 different upgrades to: um, the lighting system and a loving loud horn.

Loud lights save lives, bro

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Miss Fats posted:

Hello friends!

This is perhaps the best troll ever.

As for the Rebel and GZ250 recommendations for larger riders: I'm 6"2, 32inch inseam, and a Rebel is NOT comfortable for me to sit on and ride. The GZ250 I took my MSF on was way too small too, and even the LS650 I bought for my wife is too small for my frame. They are GREAT bikes, but unfortunately, they aren't comfortable for all big riders, new or otherwise.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

the chinaman posted:

The guy wasn't having the $2000, but seemed like he'd go with $2400. drat, this is a tough decision.

Rear tire will run you another ~125+, and add on more if you have a shop mount/balance it. I know you know that, but you may be able to use it as a bargaining point. He says in the add "2500 (no less) or best offer", but then says that he's had an offer of 2300.... The add has been up for two days, so apparently he's not getting any better offers for his bike that he himself says he wants to sell quickly. Tell him you'll match the 2300 offer in cash, right here, right now, and be ready to walk off if he won't take it.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
jesus gently caress that's not the size I intended this to be :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

the chinaman posted:

Actually, that $2300 is my original offer. I didn't realize that he had updated his ad until after I had upped it to $2400. I rescinded it and my offer with him stands at $2300. He said he's having some potentials take a look at it tonight and he'll make his decision tomorrow. I know, I messed up the bargaining, but I was really excited about the bike at the time! :blush: Don't see too many monsters around here for that kind of price.

na, don't be too hard on yourself... I didn't negotiate much at all on my ST1300 because I wanted it, knew it was set up well, knew it had been maintained, and knew from shopping around that I wouldn't find another like it for that low of a price, so I totally get where you're coming from.

I'm just up the road a bit in Pflugerville, so I'll be sending some local good luck vibes your way

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Korwen posted:

I had my heart set on a first gen SV650N, but then this popped up

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2420986159.html

please advise. I think this bike looks awesome. Should I go see it, or just hold out for the SV I want?

tough call there... I'd go with cash in hand and take a test ride to see if you fall in love with it.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

frozenphil posted:

This poor, poor sucker.
http://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/2478714575.html

There's one born every minute.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Shouting Melon posted:

There just seems to be this huge (or at least hugely vocal) section of motorcyclists who're only obsessed with numbers and won't ride a smaller bike because they think it's beneath them.

Outside this forum, sure, there are plenty of jerks who think that way, but I don't think there are many people here who would say that the smaller bikes are beneath them. Some of us, myself included, are just not comfortable on smaller bikes. I'm 6'2", 300lbs, with a 32 inch inseam and damaged disks in my lower back. I've sat on a lot of smaller bikes, and I just don't fit right on most of them. My wife has a LS650 (small, low cruiser with a 650cc single cylinder engine) that I really like, but I can't ride it without sitting halfway on the pillion part of the seat - my legs and torso are just too long to sit comfortably on the bike. The smaller bikes are great motorcycles, but they are not always the best choice for everyone.

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 22, 2011

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

BaronW posted:

So what's comfortable for you?

SaNChEzZ posted:

If it helps at all, I'm 6'2" 270 (picture a regular build, but enlarged) with a 34" inseam as well as 2 slipped disks at L2 and L3 and I was extremely comfortable on my old 07 SV650SF and marginally less comfortable on my Daytona 675 which are both sporty seatings. I've found that leaning forward, while it's not necessarily super comfortable kinda takes a little bit of stress off of the lumbar when hitting bumps etc as opposed to being straight up and down (I feel the bumps more if I'm sitting straight riding with one hand for example).

Just my .02, to each his own.

Sanchezz explained the positioning perfectly. There's just too much stress and shock from the suspension that's loaded directly into my spine if I'm sitting upright. Sitting upright in a lot of chairs causes me problems too. I also get a lot of pain sitting in a car for hours on end, which if you think about it, is really similar to how the ergos are on a cruiser - more or less upright, legs and arms out in front of you. 6 hours in the car leaves me taking pain medication and being in pain the rest of the evening. 6 hours on the ST leaves me a bit stiff from not moving most of the day, but I am still able to get up, walk around, and not be miserable.

The ST1300 had aftermarket risers on it when I bought it (1 inch up, 2 inch back). I liked them when I bought the bike, but my first 2 hour ride had me in agony. I couldn't figure it out until I rode my ST for a couple hours one morning and then immediately sat on a different ST without the risers. I ripped them off as soon as I could get my hands on a replacement stock riser plate and have been happier ever since.

Other bikes I've been comfy on so far have been the ST1100, Concourse, DL650, GS850 (with drag bars), and the Victory Vision (it's the only big bagger that's worked for me :iiam:). I want a Goldwing GL1800, but I'm not really sure it will work longterm since the seating position is much more upright on that bike. Pretty much if it's not a standard or a sport tourer, the ergonomics just don't work out for more than about a half hour or so. It sucks too, because there are some pretty nice cruisers and lots of sport bikes that I wouldn't mind owning.

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 24, 2011

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

slidebite posted:

ABS/Traction control 2010 Concours v/s 2007 ABS FJR

Get the Connie.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Jessican posted:

I'm hoping the collective wisdom of CA can recommend some bikes for a friend of mine who is looking to upgrade to a new ride. He has been riding for 25 years, is an MSF Rider Coach, and currently has a 2001 Honda ST1100. The ST has 96k miles on it and he's playing timing belt roulette at this point, since it was due to be replaced at 60k miles. He's been putting it off because he really would rather upgrade to something new instead of sinking the money into this bike, but we're having trouble finding a new bike that really clicks for him. He recently almost purchased a 2011 FJR1300, but when it came down to the wire, he decided that he didn't love it enough to justify the $15k.

Here's what he's looking for:
Year: 2006 or newer
Mileage: Not more than 40k
Displacement: 750-1300cc
Range: ~250mi per tank of gas
Price: $8000 or less

Preferences: Shaft drive, slight forward lean but not too sporty, hard luggage that is about the same size as the ST, fuel injected, ABS, tail rack, liquid cooling, about the same height as the ST (his inseam is 32", and he's about 5'8"). Ergonomically, he'd prefer something a little skinnier than the ST so that his knees aren't pushed quite as far apart, and he'd like adjustable handlebars. Hot grips are nice, but he can always add aftermarket grips.

He doesn't have much in the way of brand preference, but is looking for something with a good reputation for reliability and that is easy to get parts and service for.

Suggestions?

There are some really great deals to be found in the private market on gently used sport tourers.

If he hasn't ridden an ST1300 he should do so. Also, as mentioned, the FJR is worth looking at, though I found it to lean a bit too far forward for my own personal preferences. That being said, almost new 07 and 08 FJRs that should come in well under his price point. The new Concourse is an amazing machine, but will be over that $8,000 mark for sure.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

areyoucontagious posted:

'82 Yamaha Maxim 650. Apparently had battery and starter relay issues, but the guy said he just replaced both. Claims the bike is back up and running, and is asking $1000 for it, which seems high to me: http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2837344523.html

'96 Suzuki Bandit 600. Bike was dropped, has "cosmetic damage" but you can't see it in the photos. No title, which is kind of a pain in the rear end. Asking $1300, which is super high for a dropped bike and no title, but I figured I could talk him down: http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2877268718.html

'85 Honda Shadow, $1250. No real details, but from the pictures is looks relatively maintained.
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2877268718.html

'81 Suzuki GS1100. This bike is a little bigger than I wanted (I'm a big guy, but starting on a 1100 is probably not the best plan) but it is in my price range. Claims it "needs some brake work", but I have no idea what that entails.

You guys have been super helpful, and I'm taking my time instead of just buying the first thing I can start, avoiding bikes with electrical/carb issues. Thanks for all your help!

I'd pass on the Bandit - no title means he has literally NO way to prove that he owns the bike. The GS1100 is a great bike, but since it needs brake work (who knows how much work) the Maxim and Shadow may be a better buy for the money and will probably be a bit more newbie friendly.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Spiffness posted:

Instead of buying a Buell Blast, buy literally anything else.

This should be the new subtitle for the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
For $1,500 it's absolutely worth a look.