Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well I'm financially ready to buy a motorcycle.

89 Kawasaki Ninja

$1300.

Here's the craiglist
http://odessa.craigslist.org/mcy/835574617.html

Any thoughts?

The whole time I was negotiating I thought it was a Ninja 250. Turns out its a Ninja 600....is this okay?

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I have a lot of control. I plan on bringing a motorcycle friend along to do the check up so I don't put cash down on a lemon.

Is there a list somewhere where I can see this bikes HP, cc, and other specs? I hate asking the forum if the HP is acceptable when I should be able to find it myself.

How's the price look?

edit:^^^^ somebody read my mind
edit2: I offered him 1000, he offered 1300.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 9, 2008

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Looks like I've found a good beginners bike.

1994 Nighthawk 250.

quote:

"It is a marvelous starter bike. Runs well, very slight oil leak and could probably use a new chain and sprockets before any long trips, functional but showing some wear. Gets about 50 mpg, will run 70 or so. Have a windshield for it, just not currently installed. Has a backrest with a little tool pouch on it. About 15000 miles on it. Has the good cryo (frozen) spark plugs in it. (https://www.frozenhorsepower.com)

I'll take $1400 for it.

Comments about a standard 250 bike for a 6"1 190 guy? Will be first bike. Was looking more towards the 1000 even range.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Ugh. So the person sold it right after I posted here about it.

quote:

I have a '97 Yamaha Virago 535 in my garage that belongs to my friend. When I told her I was selling the Hawk, she asked for me to find a home for the Virago as well. It's a beautiful little bike, but she had left it at her brother's house and he left it sitting outside for awhile. So, the rubber boots for the carbs are cracked and need to be replaced. If you are interested, I will see what she wants for it and if she is going to replace the boots herself or not. As far as I know, that is the only thing wrong with it other than needing a good cleaning. It was her first bike and we went thru it top to bottom for her a couple of years ago. She rode it for a year and half then sold it to her brother and bought a 750 shadow. He wasn't taking good care of it, so she took it back from him.

Opinions THIS time?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

quote:

The Virago is officially up for sale now. Kathy is asking $1000 for it. It is a V-twin 535 cc. We know it needs the two carb boots because they have cracks in them. Beyond that, it just needs some TLC from sitting for a few months. Probably will need a new battery. It has the good cryo spark plugs in it (https://www.frozenhorsepower.com). It is shaft drive, custom pinstriping, and has a windshield. Very low seat height, great starter bike.

If anybody wants to look at it, let me know. It is sitting in my garage. I will put the battery charger on it and see if the battery will hold a charge or not.

Here is a picture of Kathy on the Virago when we were in Ruidoso a couple of years ago.

http://www.frisbeejesus.com/images/virago.jpg

Thoughts for a first time buyer?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yay! I found an 2001 SV650 for $2,600 on my drive home. Like most others have mentioned, it's right between too much for a beginner, and just enough to keep it for a few seasons without wanting that trade-up itch.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm contacting my local motorcycle forum for help with a pre-inspection buy as I'm a noob.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
asdjflajsdkfjlaksdjfklasjdlfjadskfjlsdf

He sold it right before I called. I'm retarded I guess.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Right, but the problem is I'm in Austin now and already have a bike, and am moving to DC in May, where I do not have a bike. Buying a second bike in Austin isn't going to help anything.

If I found a bike in Austin that was exactly what I wanted I might consider getting it crated and shipped, since I can fit it into my moving budget my company is giving me. I own almost nothing and they gave me a reimbursable expense allotment I can't possibly use up, so I could conceivably blow $700 or whatever of that on mailing a bike to DC, since it's not my money anyway.

That said, not into cruisers, so I'll keep looking for a standard.

Dude I'll ride the bike you want up to DC and then grab a plane ticket down. Seriously.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Is it heresy to ask for help buying a new bike?

I have an 01 sv650s that I love, but I think I'm going to convert it to a streetfighter. loving plastic fairings! I'd like another bike though.

I thought about maybe something like a Honda Shadow Aero. As you guys can tell by my roadtrips, I love the long haul.

I was also considering something in the sport world also, but nothing like a GSXR or anything, maybe I need to sit on a few.

Honestly, around here a sv650s is an exotic, I'd like to keep with the "different" theme.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yeah I can't tell if I want a long haul-er

or a "real" sport bike.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
This is a fakepost right?

"Gee I wonder why people want more horsepower than what my cb250 provides even though I often think to myself how it would be great to have a bike that does more than 60 without getting the shakes and it would be really cool to have a bike that went 80mph but seriously why do people get bikes with bigger horsepower?"

nerobro made the best post

1200cc harley and 1200cc zx12 = completely different in hp.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

blugu64 posted:

I'm now saving for a more powerful bike, I'm thinking either a CB750 or an SV650. (busa)

HAY!

Hahaha Groovy man. We'll have to meet up one day and you can ride my sv around.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Trintintin posted:

MV AUGUSTA

Holy poo poo please buy this so we can become best friends.

But in reality dude, you deserve it :D

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

blugu64 posted:

It looks like it'd be a bit better at touring/two up riding then an SV650, and looks (oh boy) alot cooler then one too.

:| oh boy indeed.

I will have to say that the sv is really awesome in the two up department.**

**author does ride 2 up with some GIRLS but hasn't ridden two up on anything buy my own sv take with grain of salt***

***sv army

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
What up.

I just got a job promotion. I'd like to plan on purchasing a new/used motorcycle this time next year :)

I currently have an SV650 that I've been riding for the past 3 years.

I like fairings, and sport bikes. I really want a Daytona 675 Triple.

However, I don't have a dedicated Triumph bike shop where I live - West Texas.

Any other suggestions? IRC hates Suzuki, is this a consensus?

BTW I live near no twisties, so I'm not even worried about that.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Intelligently designed is a plus. I lost a LOT of bolts/screws on that stupid sv650s because the fairings are retarded.

Honda CBR600 or 1000 really appeal to me too.

I liked the 04 or 05 GSXR as well.

But that Daytona is calling to me

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
The one on the right.

So am I buying a Daytona or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

eggyolk posted:

It's been two years since I owned a bike. Had a 2002 SV650 S that gave me 7 good years of riding experience. Sold it to move to NYC and now I'm back on the hunt for something to fill a lot of roles.

I'm basically planning on buying another SV for all the obvious reasons. Economical, easy to maintain, past experience with one, planning on going to the track with my coworkers, doing long trips outside of the city etc. I was wondering if there's any other good step up from the SV that could fill all these roles? Some part of me is interested in getting a Daytona 675 but they're hard to come by and I won't be able to afford one for a good 6-9 months. Never really considered the typical I4 600's but maybe I should? Interestingly, I am in a position where I have the space/tools/time to take on a fixer upper project.

2004 gsxr 750