Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Christoff posted:

How do you not know why a bike was salvaged? Anything else I should ask? Any SoCal goons wanna come with me? :v:

When are you gonna go? I'm in Diego, but I have friends in Santa Ana that I've been meaning to visit.

Read this before you go: http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Gnomad posted:

See if you can find an Aprilia Pegaso. It'll be less money and more bike. Same general bike as the BMW, same engine except for the Pegaso having a 5 valve engine and the F650 having a 4 valve, but the Pegaso has better suspension, is lighter, and can be a lot of fun. And they will do the ton plus, not plus a lot mind you, but a very capable bike.

The F800ST is quite a bit different though, yeah? Belt drive parallel twin with full fairings.

Edit: Review on ADVRider

Zenaida fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 15, 2009

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Orange Someone posted:

Seconding the cheap helmet mention, particularly when you're a new rider. You have to replace your helmet if it ever comes into contact (not just resting it on the ground of course) with the floor, and I'd hate to have to do that with a 100+ quid helmet.

That's not what the Arai guy told Jay Leno: http://www.clearspring.com/widgets/47f1317f105123ad?p=48f7692ffad38f1b (Drop talk starts around 7 minutes)

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

MrZig posted:

Ahh okay. If it's an otherwise decent bike, I'll go there on the weekend and maybe bring it home!

If you can, bring a known good battery with you to test. "It just needs a battery" can translate to, "It needs a battery before you can diagnose a host of other problems."

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

kdc67 posted:

Nnnnope to the host of other problems. If the battery's not holding a charge all that's going to need replacing is the regulator / rectifier. Easy fix.

Admittedly, I'm just echoing the many, many posts I've read on here saying, "If all it needed was a battery, why wouldn't they just replace it and sell it for more?"