Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Gnomad posted:

Ummm, do they check? That could be awkward. :wth:

Thread derail-those commercials about whichever boner donor pill tells you to "Ask you doctor if you are healthy enough for sexual activities?" Well, if the doctor unzips and says "Let's find out" I'm outta there!

I have a lot of videos on my harddrive saying that you will make a huge mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
80's Bikes aren't that bad, honestly. Cool thing about them is that there are LOADS of them around. :) Why not go for a gs400, cb400 (restricted), xs400 or gpz400?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Tsaven Nava posted:

I can't fathom spending half of what my bike cost on just bags.

There's a second hand market for hard luggage, just like bikes? :confused:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Tsaven Nava posted:

Wee-Strom! Oh, wait, you wanted sexy styling . . .

Fazer! The one from 98-03 looks great, but it seems I'm one of the few with that opinion. :(

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Gnomad posted:

Here in the US, we call it a FZ1, or FZ6, depending on displacement. Either way, prettier than a V or Wee, roughly the same dimensions and riding position. I'm thinking of selling the BMW GS and putting Distanzia's on my FZ1. It would have the same DS competency, but the FZ1 would be easier to pick up.

First gen (:swoon:) are called fzs 400/600/1000, second fz6/fz1. To my knowledge, they are both referred to as fazers.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
If you can find parts and a manual, you are good to go. :) That longitudinal V-twin looks sexy and isn't really hard to work on since, well, it's an old bike.

Where do you live if you don't mind me askin'?

karms fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 2, 2010

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Go here!

Yeah, most of your time is going to be spent online trying to find parts, but moto guzzi is one of those brands with a bit of a loyal following here in ol' Europe. As long as the thing runs, you'll have lot of fun!

Buy band-aids.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Weight and power wise, perfect. Ergonomics, probably fine but always personal.

How are you going to feel when you put dents and/or scratches on it? Because chances are, like the rest of us, you're going to drop it at zero miles per hour.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
goddamn I need to move to the USA. 3700 on a 03 R6? I'd be lucky to find a good one for 5500. :(

Welp, at least I don't live in Norway I guess. :D

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
both are excellent. The gs is more docile (so less scary/forgiving of beginner faults) and has a bit more upright seating, uglier and also cheaper. That's it really.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

BradleyJamers posted:

Cheaper is better for a first bike, you don't want to invest a lot of money in something you might not like. You might not like the standard and want something more aggressive, or maybe a cruisers style, going cheap for a first bike is always good because it won't lose much value, if any, when you decide to change. If that GS doesn't have a million miles and is in good shape, that might be an alright out the door price. The SV is about the top of acceptable first bike range and unless you have prior experience through say dirt bikes or mopeds, I would shy away.

Both bikes won't devalue much after a month of riding, to be honest. Yes, after a year or so the sv likely will have dropped a bit, but seriously it's a year. If he likes the sv that much, more luck to 'em I say.

Yes the cb is a better teacher, but nothing about the sv will spook a new rider that a cb wouldn't have.

Learning to ride means doing miles on a bike that a) won't punish you for a mistake and b) you want to ride. If he's ambivalent about the cb but loooves the sv. go hog wild.

They're both different, and both fine.

quote:

Other good first bikes would be the ninja 250/500, any of the 650 cruisers as well. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined you an go for older bikes in the 400-700cc range, horsepower limit around the 70s.

Kinda weird you saying the sv is, without prior experience, a bit too hairy with its 65hp yet on older, heavier bikes this is fine and good?

edit:

lowcrabdiet posted:

Yeah, I'm leaning toward the GS since it's cheaper and has new tires, has had its carbs recently serviced, plus other maintenance that I can't remember off the top of my head. It's a naked bike, which I prefer over aggressive fairings, so that's a plus too.

Alright, good choice! :) Remember: Go hog wild. This is the most important part.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Maybe you can find a TDM, but it is going to be an oldie though. I don't know how old you're willing to go.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Luigi_Cyclone posted:

Sup, CA. Longtime lurker here. I've been looking to get my first bike for a while now and came across this on my local CL: http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/2471607075.html
Is this a good deal or should I stay away? I'm looking to spend ~$1000 as I'm just a poor undergraduate student looking for a cheap and old bike to learn the ropes on. Thanks for your advice, CA!

Those bars look mighty uncomfortable...

Probably Hates You posted:

It's whatever you enjoy more. As long as it isn't your first bike I'd say go for the R6. It has quite a bit more power. More highway friendly, and you won't be shifting as often in traffic. The only drawback over the 250 is the weight and it lacks the low-end grunt of a twin that makes city riding so easy.

The R6 isn't a twin and the city driving doesn't involve highways. ;)

The R6 isn't a heavy bike. It is actually very light considering! The problem with supersports is that they're designed to go 100mph, regrettably. The seating position will have you hurting your wrists over time because there's no wind to hold you up. It looks way cooler than a ninja 250 and is very docile in the first half of the revs. This means it is capable as a city bike, if you don't mind the aggressive seating. Also the constant grudge to traffic for holding you up and stopping you from going a million miles an hour everywhere. :argh:

Most people like torque'er bikes in stop-and-go situations because you almost never need to shift. You don't need to shift an R6 that much in traffic either, but you are going to when you are getting annoyed at the turbo-like response.

I think it is pretty clear you need to test ride it to see if you find any of these aspects annoying or not.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
You don't outgrow bikes! Arghhhh

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Yeah but you do get bored with them.

Bored != outgrow but that is exactly how newbies will interpret it, but you know this already.

slidebite posted:

I disagree. :colbert:

At least he's smart enough not to ride something that he can't handle. :colbert:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ziploc posted:

Shutup shutup. I don't want to have to buy a bike in questionable condition (even though it is cheap rare and exactly the bike I was looking for) under a deadline like that where the seller will be moving far away.

Damnit!

What the hell, just buy it.

..You can always sell it! :q:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

kylej posted:

Nah, he outgrew that bike already. :rimshot:

Hot dang.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

DrakeriderCa posted:

Reposting this, with a different bike. What does CA think about a 1986 Suzuki GS400S?

The gs's from that era are pretty much bulletproof, so yeah.

Alecks posted:

$500 seems like a good offer with that much work to be done, would it be worth it to fix up?

Worth it? That's a pretty personal question. You want to ride it or make money off of it?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Saga posted:

This just means you'd need to check the clearances. Not really hard

Saga posted:

- remove lower and tail/side fairings, pull the bottom hose on the radiator and swing it forward, remove the tank, airbox and coils and the rubber splashguard. Clean up the valve cover quickly and from there, you unbolt the cover, pull it out forwards and to one side and then remove the plastic cover from the end of the crank.

Then you adjust via the timing mark under that cover, checking the cams visually to make sure you're in the right place, and it's just a case of whipping out your trusty feeler gauges and writing down your numbers.

You could then need to shim it, but quite possibly they'll still be within spec. All the details are in the Haynes manual. The gasket is quite meaty, so if you remove the cover carefully, you shouldn't even need a new gasket.

Not really hard at all, that's like just three things you need to do! :haw:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
R1?

But seriously, most bikes do what you want. Get some type of soft bags and you've got enough space for a weekend romp, and there are so many different bikes that have no problem with extra weight and highway hauls that it would literally be impossible to name them all.

What you need to think about is what kinds of bike do you like the look of, what kind of ergonomics fit you (straight up, cruiser style, slight lean, slightly more lean, woah that is a lot of lean, seriously my wrists are beginning to hurt, etc.), what you are going to do with the bike outside of commuting, how much money you want to spend and more stuff like that.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
It's the ferrari to the ducati's lamborghini.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
...pretty much anything from the 1980s? There's waaaayyy too much choice here. It's hard to find a road bike that has a tiny, tiny fuel tank, pillion seats are everywhere and therefore soft bags are possible, and random internet dudes can't possibly know what you do or do not like about the standard look.

Maybe I've interpreted your aesthetic sensibility wrong and you only care for triumph bonneville/ honda cb650 type stuff and not yamaha xj600/ suziki gs500. Then my point still stands but at least the search is more specific.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

clutchpuck posted:

I've been eyeing Aprilias for a while, this seems like a decent one with low miles. Price is almost exactly KBB so I don't know about that "winter pricing" boast... I should call and find out how much they'll offer in trade for the ol' vstar.

http://www.buyredline.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=06414148X11K29K2011J2I01I53JPMQ6203R0&veh=9984&pov=2429748

Anything I should be wary of one one of these if I cruise down and take a look?

Engine is bulletproof, but it needs a wiring mod since some of the electrical connections are weak to corrosion and a better fuel quick disconnect.

I want one too. :shobon:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Your only small displacement, easily freeway capable motorcycle available is the Ninja 250. There are some 500s that would fit but just get the 250.

Z3n, oh whisperer of bikes, oracle of the two weeled, the thane to my skeever, why do you nimbly dance around the "VERY fuel-efficient" part? Does the wordy one have no words for the misinformed? The naïve? The unguided?

Fools have come and gone, swept with the tides of the harsh internet weather, Z3n never waiving, never judging. Why now, my goddess? We yearn for your touch.

The people need to know. Your worshippers need to know. The undeserving need to know.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
*Squeak!*

SonicBoom, you are not going to get a huge increase in fuel efficiency compared to your regular old car, and the money saved gets appropriated towards the higher costs of running, and maintaining, a bike. environmentally, you're not doing a great deal either.

If you're really interested in cheaper travel, go scooter. Yes, you won't get to go on the freeway or be totes cool to the non-hipstamatic crowd but you're in this for the money and not the looks. Also, falling hurts way less.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Ninja 250 has a 5 second 0-60, but even if you're familiar with cars that do the same, it's totally different on a motorcycle when you're out in the wind. You'll have a blast.

Have you seen how much fun dogs have when they put their heads out the car window? It's like that. But better.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Ehh, it's acceleration that's the fun part of speed on the street anyway.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

KozmoNaut posted:

Acceleration is the fun part of speed everywhere :)

I've done a few rounds on a track as a passenger in a car (shut up :() and even then by the third round I was more excited by a correct apex hit then the resulting acceleration.

Ok so it was in a 'built' maza mx6.. you know what I'll shut up about it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
you will drop it sometime, not because you're stupid but because it happens to all of us. Question is, can you handle scratches and/or tears on your 100% pristine bike because of a goof?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Splizwarf posted:

With a used car the stakes are a lot lower for just about every subsystem, even if the suspension collapses or a wheel flies off in a 50 mph curve, my odds are still a lot better than the same problem on a bike.

That's half the fun of riding right there!!

Best is to bring an experienced rider with mechanical ability when your check out some wheels but that's 99% of the time not feasible. If you want to sperg out on your own you can always follow this guy's advice but meh. Better to post whatever ad/bike you're looking at so we can tell you what stuff to look out for.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
In the future we will say that the second enlightenment started when Suzuki successfully lobbied for the Darwin Award law.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Snowdens Secret posted:

There's advice for a similarly sized guy a few posts up, but basically, buy something used but recent. If you and your wife are getting separate rides and she's looking at small cruisers, something like a Honda Shadow, Kawasaki Vulcan or Star in the 850-1100cc range should be a good match. You will struggle far more with stock suspension than you will with stock power.

This. Don't concern yourself with power; not only because bikes are faster than you think but also because a good starter bike is something you can sell for about the same amount of dollars you bought it for.

Treat your first bike as a try-out. It might not have ideal power, or have the best looks, or the right type. Whatever, you're just trying it out! Your riding this two wheeled beast to gain experience and see if this hobby/lifestyle is for you before sinking $$$ money into it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sagebrush posted:

I guess it's just what happens to a decent-sized quantity of the stuff if you let it sit, undisturbed, under static environmental conditions for three decades.

You know, like, what happens to dead plankton?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
640K ought to be enough for anybody.

Meanwhile I'm eyeing a bandit 1200 or sprint st or ??? as a replacement for my forever-in-repairs tdm. :allears: I figure I'm at step 3 of ~6 in bike ownership. I'm dreading my next step, the garage-that-doubles-as-a-fully-outfitted-mechanics-shop. That'll really put a bee in my money bonnet...

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Not a typo. The spec is every 4k. If you keep them on the tight side they do tighten up regularly, if you keep them on the looser side they apparently can go quite a bit longer. I have on in the yard right now with zero clearance on 3 valves.

Oh and the shim kits are rare, only available in very limited sizes, and loving expensive.

Why the hell are shims expensive anyway? These things are tiny as hell!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

St_Ides posted:

Exactly how insane would I have to be to buy something like this: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Royal%20Enfield/Bullet/BRAMPTON/Ontario/19_5298690_/?ms=motorcycles_atvs ?

If it helps you to know, bikes are more maintenance intensive then cars. Expect to wrench a bit more on anything with 2 versus 4 wheels.

sildargod posted:

A friend has emigrated and let me take his '09 Speed Triple with 12k miles on it for a little over $11k. That's cheaper than most around here, which run anywhere from 13k for a 2007 with unknown mileage to $14700 new. I am swayed by the look, the new lights don't do anything for me, but those bug-eyes are awesome. He's also thrown in all his triumph branded gear, alpinestar boots, triumph jacket, riding pants, all of the associated tank bags, storage compartments, and more. Am I doing myself a disservice buying it? It's in utterly beautiful condition, as he babied the bike and it already has crash bobbins, and arrow slip-ons.

Convince me goons!

Buy it, sell it, profit?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

You guys, do you think my 250 Rebel will start struggling if I carry this guy as my passenger? He's fat.

That a big oil filter. Does it fit?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah Motor Cyclist's long term S1000rr was praised as being very comfortable.

... for a supersport.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I don't know about price, but the er6n is a good bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Preferred by tiny people all over the world. Are you tiny?