Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Is there anything awful I should know about this bike? http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/871209310.html

By the sound of it, would it just need a new battery? I can't think of any other problem that would arise from sitting in a garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

kdc67 posted:

The listing's been removed.

gently caress me. I knew that would get snatched up :(

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Well, my last discovery was bought out from under me, so here's round two.

A 1977 CB750. The best HP quote I could find was 67, making it a bit high for a first, but still lower than 600s that some praise as beginner bikes.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/873093205.html

I've already asked for more details and some pictures, but he hasn't gotten back to me. Are Hondas really pull-your-hair caliber project bikes?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
That's what I was thinking too, just making sure I wasn't passing up on a good opportunity.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
How would a fixer-upper Vision fare as my first bike?
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/936921586.html

Craigslist posted:

All of the needed parts are readily available on ebay and motorcycle salvage yards.
There is NO current title. However, we have the original title (with white-out on it), letters to old owner trying to find him, etc. We were told by the state all we have to do is file for a lost title - not a big deal, we just did not do since it was not running yet.
Motor cranks over nicely using the starter and seems to have good oil pressure. I think something is wrong with the spark timing or weak coils.

I've inquired about the usuals, plus the "all the needed parts.." bit, but otherwise, is it worth the $185? And does anyone have any idea about filing for a lost title? I don't want to get swamped in fees.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Bummer, and I've taken the MSF, I'm just trying to cope with my college budget right now.

Thanks anyway all.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
If I were to go look at this bike, what kind of tests (:science: ) could I perform to see whether or not it's a basket case? All I could think of was to check the battery and see if the engine will turn over by hand.

craigslist posting posted:

Have invested over $1000 into this bike since 08. Has had the gas tank recoated, carbs cleaned. I am no mechanic so Im not sure exactly what the problem is, but it will not turn over. Just replaced the battery about a year ago so I dont think thats it, maybe bad solonoid. Anybody with mechanical know-how, this is the bike for you, last time I cranked it the motor ran great. Also rough cosmetics, craked fairings and mirrors. make me an offer.

It's a ninja 500, same generation as mine. I was just going to take all of the pretty parts off of it and then flip it for super cheap.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
He's only asking $400 :buddy:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I'm afraid I'm gonna get it started and he's gonna go OH WOOPS I MEANT $1400.

Then I'll punch him in the nuts.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Lowball the poo poo out of him

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

AncientTV posted:

It's a ninja 500, same generation as mine. I was just going to take all of the pretty parts off of it and then flip it for super cheap.

Bought this. It's a little more rough around the edges than I expected, so I only paid $250 for it :laugh:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I haven't looked it over much apart from the initial inspection, but I think it's a wiring issue somewhere. I threw my working battery in it when I went to go check it out, and the dash didn't even light up. It's obviously been dropped, after which he let it sit for a year. The wiring in it looks like a terrible hack job, so I'm going to strip it down tomorrow, when I have light, and see if I can't make sense of the rat's nest.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Good luck!

Sorry if my post came off as kinda harsh, didn't mean it that way. You can just ask ancientTV about what it's like to get a bike that's "Pretty running" and seeing how far it goes. :v: I think we spent 6 months trying to get his bike running right, he missed an entire season, and it was a situation that started basically exactly like this, except he paid way less for the bike.

Hey, 6 months of staring at my first bike in pieces wasn't that bad :suicide:

ninja edit: and now I've gone and bought another one. WHAT AM I DOING TO MYSELF :pcgaming:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
As long as previous owners took care of it, no, the miles shouldn't make a huge difference. Judging that, however, is going to be up to your discretion. If I were you, I would try and find someone to look it over for me if you don't have any experience with bikes.

Also, I'd offer $700.

edit: new page :argh:
edit 2: "doesnt like the cold," means "I don't take care of my bike and the carbs are gummed up." Even though cleaning them is a simple procedure, I'd be wary of buying from him if I were just starting out.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
That's what I get for not examining the picture, I even forgot they can't roll over to xxx,xxx :downs:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
So, I got lazy and decided just to sell the ex500 project I picked up.

For a $140 profit.

After I took parts off, including plastics.

:v:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Weinertron posted:

Step 2: Perform hundreds of hours of labor
Step 3: Profit $100.

That's what I was expecting, but it worked out to about ~2 hours of labor :coal:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
The 500s are almost the same way, but drat :monocle:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

eviljelly posted:

How cold are we talking here? My Vulcan 500, which I understand has basically the same engine as the Ninja 500, seems to be fine on 50 degree mornings.

It is actually exactly the same engine. It's more that my choke is kind of jacked and I've yet to fix it, but yea, anything below 50 is a play-with-the-idle-screw start.

Definitely not anywhere near 70 though, sheesh.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

That all seems like good advice. I wasn't planning on buying it unless it really is in the condition he says its in.

I might not have time to go see it at all this week or weekend, and I wont be torn up if it passes me by. I'm not really sold on the paint job or the style, so if I do go to see it (and it checks out) I'll probably make a lowish offer and move on if he doesn't go for it.

Thanks for the advice.

For more up close and personal lightning bolt action here's a picture he sent me directly. Thumbnailed so you can appreciate it full sized.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

No more than ~1200, preferably a grand. I know me some busted-up 500s :doh:

edit: Also, that paintjob is hilarious, and you should get some custom leathers to match.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Do you have anything specific that I should be looking for? I realize that this bike is nearly as old as I am and has been modded all to hell, so I know its nowhere near perfect.

I'm looking for really specific problems to watch out for. I've got a fair amount of mechanical experience so feel free to lay it on me.

Thanks for all the advice.

There isn't much to look for that is 500-specific. The only major problem that's common in the older ones is a habit of barfing the flywheel magnets all over the place, but if it starts, that's obviously not a problem. You may want to ask him if he's already done the 2nd gen flywheel replacement (the magnets are actually covered, instead of just glued in), and if not, do it yourself at some point.

Something that isn't nearly as common as the flywheel is that the cam chain tensioners have been known to spectacularly fail, but again, just make sure it starts, and consider replacing it (the updated 2nd gen is a direct fit) sometime in the future.

Other than that, it's pretty standard fare. Good luck :)

edit: "standard" as in everything in the the link that z3n posted

edit2:

Craigslist posted:

...full exhaust, pod filters, jet kit...
You're going to want to get rid of these. Short of ridiculous hand-grenade type engine work, there's never been any way to improve the 500's power. Go back to stock jetting, get a stock airbox, and pick up a stock exhaust system if you can find one. Even crazy racers on the ex500 board, who mod this poo poo out of this bike, leave it with stock intake and exhaust.

Speaking of which, this will be an incredibly useful site, if you buy the bike https://www.ex-500.com

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 4, 2010

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Someone needs to buy this.

All of those tiny bikes would be so useless for me, but oh-so-awesome :swoon:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Unzip and Attack posted:

So I've learned to ride recently on a friend's bike but know very little about purchasing a new ride. I have read that 250cc is a good way to start out if you don't have a lot of experience on the road (I don't) and I've also read that Virago 250's get great mileage which is a bonus. Any thoughts on this bike and/or the price they are asking?

CRAIGSLIST LINK

That price seems right, and I've never owned one, but the Virago is spoken highly of around here.

As for the 250cc thing, don't get in your head that low CCs = beginner. There are some 250s that will eat new riders alive. While looking at certain bikes, google for their horsepower; anything under 70ish is noob-friendly. However, in the 55-70 range, make sure you can be responsible with the power and not hamfist all the controls, they can still get you in to trouble.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
edit: disregard

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 22, 2010

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

sectoidman posted:

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/1821407414.html

So, this dude wants $100 for a running EX500 (albiet one that apparently has some issues).

Is this a bad idea? I feel like I could probably fix it up and flip it for at least $5-600, if the stated damage/necessary maintenance is all that's wrong with it.

Give it to meeeee :argh:

No really, buy it.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Say that I found an sv650 with sub-4k miles that has been raced. I know I have nothing to worry about engine-wise, but would anyone here expect a lower price because of that fact?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Absolutely. If it's been raced for 4k miles it's going to have seen quite a bit of regular abuse, and any bike that's been raced is going to see a lower price as a result of that (if they're honest about it).

The exception is bikes purpose built for racing. A proper Gen 1 racebike with all the toys will still pull in around 3.5-5k, despite being old and a SV.

Ah, I should have clarified, it has been raced; all the miles aren't on the track. It's back to being a street bike as of last year (so he says).

http://daytona.craigslist.org/mcy/2197370034.html

edit: And then there's this. He's a "Harley guy and doesn't know much about sportbike prices," his words, so I've been trying to talk him down, but he's not having any of it.

http://daytona.craigslist.org/mcy/2197241040.html

GSXR front end, some silly acerbis headlight, unknown mileage, and a scorpion slipon. Hardly worth $2800.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 4, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Paytizzle posted:

http://memphis.craigslist.org/mcy/2200931549.html

This looks amazing. Is it amazing? I'm still in the market for my second bike. I've never ridden an inline 4. My best friend just bought an sv650 and let me test it out. How will this compare to the SV? Is it as much fun as the v-twin? As practical around town?

All I4s will have the bulk of their power at the top-end, with a very linear progression of power. From what I've read and been told, the ZX-6R is the most streetable of the big 4, but it won't have the low RPM torque that the SV has. However, I'll let someone who's ridden both chime in on that.

The price is right though, I'd offer him $2600 for the hell of it.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 7, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Dr. Brule posted:

I'm going to look at it with cash tommorow. If it turns over with the starter, brakes work, and the tires aren't rotted i'll go ahead with 550. If any of those conditions aren't met, walk away or offer a lower amount, how much?
I'm intermediately skilled at automotive wrenching, and my father is a bike expert with 30+ years of mechanic experience, so I'm not too worried about working on an early 80's bike. I'm not sure how much the thing is worth for parts, so I know what to offer above that?

If one of those isn't met, I'd say $350 for shits n' giggles. He'll probably bargain back up to $400. See if you can get him to pull the rotor cover off and spin the engine manually, just to be sure it isn't seized.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Commodore 64 posted:

Alright, I've heard back from the GS500 guy and he says the valves haven't been touched and the price is now "firm" :rolleyes:.

I also found a 02 Ninja 500 for $1800. Seller sent me more photos and the bike has all the fairings and hasn't been put down.
He seems more willing to negotiate (leaving the country soon) and he claims he has paperwork for all the work done to the bike.

If the Ninja is all it's cracked up to be; I think that would make the better buy, right?

As compared to the GS, yes. The Ninja has a tad bit more power and better brakes; they make fantastic beginner bikes.

edit: Again, ask about the valve adjustment. It's right at its interval, but if it hasn't been done, there's another bargaining chip for you.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 3, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I've seen some seriously fast racers on EX500s. They're very approachable to ride hard on, and are very upgradeable.

Suspension and brakes-wise maybe. Trying to squeeze anymore power out of that engine turns it into a veritable grenade. I agree though, it was a great starter bike, but it definitely had some serious pep when given the beans.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, nearly 100hp. It would be a bit of a handful :buddy:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Nidhg00670000 posted:

AFAIK, he has had no problems with the bike whatsoever, but he tells me it's thirsty as gently caress when doing “spirited riding”, as in more than 1 liter/milen. With just 15 (or 16?) litre in the tank, you have to start looking for petrol after just 10 mil.

There's no way that this doesn't indicate that it's running like poo poo. What is that, 3.5mpg?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Sorry, I was going swenglish on you there. One swedish mil (not mile) is 10 km. That's one litre per 10 kilometres, or about 24 US MPG.

I was waiting for you to tell us that he somehow bolted a V10 into his bike :v:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

timn posted:

Would something similar in size and power to Ninja 650 still be appropriate for a starter bike or is that pushing it? Would something a bit smaller like a GS500 definitely be a smarter pick? Like a lot of others I'm interested in getting as many years as possible out of a first bike before wanting something more, but I understand the need to be conservative.

I believe the 650r has about 70 hp, which puts it right on the upper limit for suggested new-rider power. You'd have to be very mindful of your control inputs until your muscle memory built up for small adjustments. I'd personally recommend against it, because there's bound to be at least one time where you accidentally hamfist the throttle, which would be very bad for a new rider with 70hp.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Ethox posted:

edit- The more I think about it, the more I feel like I should back out of the deal. After new tires, the valve adjustment, new chain, and all other maintenance I will be set back more than a few bucks. It's probably better to keep shopping and find one that is a little newer and has better maintenance.

Yeah, figure about ~350 bucks extra after all this is said and done. As a starting price, I wouldn't pay more than 700 for that bike if it needed all the consumables changed, plus the valve adjustment.

edit: Huh, I guess the market for 500s is cheaper around here

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I remember some moto rag pitting them against each other, and (based on the mid-00's generation, I think) the EX ended up having a bit more power and better brakes. Not really something you would notice as a novice, but the differences are there.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Most modern airboxes are designed to take advantage of their size and shape to fill out holes in the midrange. If you lose that effect, then you can create massive holes in midrange that can't be filled with jetting changes. Sort of like losing midrange to boost top end from changing out an exhaust, except generally without a top end boost.

This. My 07's midrange is completely gutless now. I'd swap the bike back to stock airbox/exhaust if I felt like spending that much money on it, but I'm probably going to sell it in a few months time anyways.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I'm going to look at an '89 EL250 for a buddy tomorrow, and after talking with the owner, it sounds like a good deal. However, he said something called the "power valve" needs work. Now as far as I know, these bikes don't have the only power valve I've ever heard of (the exhaust thing in some Kawi dirt bike), and I can't think of what else could be construed as such.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

cannonballs posted:

I've heard the same thing about the Bonnie's and I absolutely LOVE the way they look. I guess my eye falls more for the classic/retro look rather than the sportbike, but as I said, I'm pretty openminded.

Have you thought about buying a used 70s-80s UJM?