Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Braggot posted:

Sorry if this has been asked hundreds of times but I've always wondered how Trent Reznor / Nine Inch Nails got that sound in Terrible Lie during the bridge/breakdown bit.

Ring modulator, I think. Source has aliasing so probably some kind of sample either slowed down or sampled on 8- or 12- bit sampler @ 32/24 khz as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Yoozer posted:

Modulate the pitch of a triangle or sinewave oscillator with a pink noise source - but the suggestion of abusing a sampler for this is good, too - it explains why the higher pitched sounds are shorter than the lower pitched ones.
The aliasing is a dead giveaway: Pretty Hate Machine was made before bit-reduction plug-ins after all. ;-) It's either done on an old 8- or 12-bit unit, or sampled at a low rate.

Or, the initial sample is pitched very very high and it's stepped down 1 or 2 octaves.

I used to do this to squeeze more sample time out of an old sampler: sample at 2x normal speed @ 24khz then step down 12 steps to get back to correct pitch, effectively halving the sample rate to 12khz.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Toxygen posted:

I have a loop from a collection of loops I purchased along time ago (The Ugly Remnants Volume 1) and I really want to know how to recreate the sound of the keyboard so I don't have to use the loop. Preferably how to make it in Reason.

Here it is:

Any ideas?

It's an "ACID" style tb303 (or clone) loop. Triangle wave -> resonant filter with portamento ("glide") enabled.

Just grab ReBirth-- it's free now. Or use any of the 303/acid sounds already in Reason.

http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Computer Jones posted:

The 303 has a saw waveform and a weird M-shaped "square" wave or something, but not a triangle.
Oh yeah, that's what I meant though.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

MrLonghair posted:

Found another sound I want to re-create, the bubbly (probably chorused) lead 2m48s into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7itqjWKbU4

Any immediate clues come to mind? Wish my EA1 was cool enough to replicate it.

1. harmonized lead / arpeggio panned left / right
2. mono / lead (one note at a time)
3. portamento (glide)
4. short but pronounced filter envelope "hits" when the player retriggers the portamento

Not sure about the wave form but it's nothing special, just a basic analog lead type sound. It's very bright though. I can't tell if that's due to filter characteristics / resonance or just oscillator timbre or EQ.

It also may be highpass filter instead of standard 303-y lowpass.

Because it's Dream Theater they are probably doing something much more fancy to get that "exact" sound (especially regards to the filter envelope behaviour) but the above is the basics and should get a reasonable facsimile.

edit: what wayfinder said, in other words, sorry.

• Locked thread